Taisho Baseball Girls / Taishō Yakyū Musume

I agree with you, rebecca1/2! :slight_smile: It did make me smile!

Episode 12 –

It’s nice that Saburou tried to get Koume’s father to go to the game and maybe deep down he’d like to, but he’s too full of pride now that he has disowned his daughter. The girls are holding up well against the guys, but now that Asaka knows about Akiko’s magic pitches, they’ve come up with a new strategy and the game is starting to turn in their favor.
Akiko tries a new magic pitch, but Koume can’t catch it and the guys gain more points. I like how their friends ran out of choir practice to come cheer the girls on. Then Yuki gets hurt and the umpire suggests that the team forfeit again. Just as he is about to announce it, Yuki assures him that she can still play and Asaka begins to realize the determination of these girls. The boys agree amongst themselves to honor the girls’ hard work by playing their best.
Ooguchi finds her choir at the game and finally gives in and yells at them to cheer louder. I knew from the beginning that she’d probably have a change of heart at some point and I’m glad it happened during this important game. Now if only Koume’s father would change his mind as well! I was also happy that Tomoe finally got her home run. Way to go!
Noriko figures out how the guys knew about Akiko’s magic pitches and the team puts the knowledge to good use against Asaka. The boys finally admit that the girls are “amazing” and begin to respect them as worthy opponents. It was really great when Koume’s parents show up with Saburou and Koume’s father actually encourages her not to lose her resolve. With a new strength of will and her family behind her, Koume makes the hit and I think her father was very proud of her.
But in the end, the girls lose 9-8. A very close game! However, the girls are still winners. They found something they loved and stuck with it against all the odds. Akiko gets a formal public apology from Iwasaki – the reason this all started in the first place was because he told Akiko that women belong in the home. Well, she proved him wrong!
The rest of the end scenes were nice as well. Koume gets her family back and it looks as if Koume introduces Saburou as her fiancé. I think that’s what happened by the looks on the other’s faces. Most of the girls looked surprised and happy. Takahara looked shocked – that will teach the arrogant guy to assume things! And poor Tomoe looked devastated. It looks like Akiko and Iwasaki end up together as well, with a new found respect for one another.
It looks too like the team is now official with regards to the school. I liked the angry Ooguchi with a bump on her head and a rogue baseball in her hand marching down the hallway. Someone’s going to get it! And finally – Koume and Saburou. I see Koume got the sailor suit uniform she wanted so badly at the beginning of the show. And she makes Saburou call her by her name before they walk off holding hands. Very sweet!
This was a really fun anime and just goes to show what girls (or anyone) can do if they put their minds to it. Thankfully, that was then and the world is a very different place for women today. With dedication and determination, anyone can accomplish anything nowadays. But it took girls like this to break and bend what society considered “rules” back then to get women where they are today. This anime is a nice, fun little reminder of that.

Sentai Filmworks To Release Taisho Baseball Girls On Blu-ray Subtitled Only

Posted on 2013-09-28 14:11 EDT

Hmm…while I enjoyed the show and it’s one of a handful of shows that gets a consistent re-watch, the BD release won’t be on the top of my “to buy list”; maybe later. On the other hand, had it included a new dub, I’d had gone ‘yoink’ on it. I can wait…

Ugh, the sub-only bluray rot continues.

I also would have at least checked these series out if they had a dub. Sadly they don’t.

For the baseball series that might be a good thing as, while I understand that sports anime is never really about the sport, unless they have some dub staff that are into baseball I could see it getting weird. While Funimation’s dub of Initial D was worlds above the execrable dub that Tokyopop put out it was fairly weird and the admission was that hardly anyone involved was a “car guy”, which draws my suspicion.

Complete Collection Cover/Disc Art

Blu-ray

Taisho Baseball Girls Official Trailer

Season 1 Complete Collection Cover/Disc Art

Blu-ray