The Garden of Words / Kotonoha no Niwa

The Garden of Words / Kotonoha no Niwa

Genres: drama, romance
Themes: age-gap relationship
Objectionable content: Mild
Running time: 46 minutes
Vintage: 2013-05-31

Plot Summary: (PR) When Takao, a young high school student who dreams of becoming a shoe designer, decides to skip school one day in favor of sketching in a rainy garden, he has no idea how much his life will change when he encounters Yukino. Older, but perhaps not as much wiser, she seems adrift in the world. Despite the difference in their ages, they strike up an unusual relationship that unexpectedly continues and evolves, without planning, with random meetings that always occur in the same garden on each rainy day. But the rainy season is coming to a close, and there are so many things still left unsaid and undone between them. Will there be time left for Takao to put his feelings into actions and words? Between the raindrops, between the calms in the storm, what will blossom in THE GARDEN OF WORDS?

The Garden of Words info on ANN

Watch The Garden of Words on Anime Network Online

The Garden of Words Official JP Homepage

The Garden of Words Official ENG Homepage

Buy The Garden of Words

The Garden of Words DVD (Hyb) (Aug 6 2013)
The Garden of Words Blu-ray (Hyb) (Aug 6 2013)

Sentai trailer

Sentai Filmworks Press Release

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-11/makoto-shinkai-the-garden-of-words-film-1st-5-minutes-aired

Makoto Shinkai’s The Garden of Words Film’s 1st 5 Minutes Aired

posted on 2013-05-11 23:19 EDT

Latest from 5 cm/s, Children Who Chase Lost Voices director heads to U.S. in 2013

TV Tokyo aired the first five minutes from The Garden of Words, the latest film from auteur director Makoto Shinkai (Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second), during the Saturday showing of his The Place Promised in Our Early Days film.

The Garden of Words begins in June during Japan’s rainy season. A shoemaker-in-training named Takao is sketching shoes in a Japanese-style garden when he meets a mysterious older woman. From that first encounter, the two continue meeting and deepening their relationship.

Shinkai previously wrote that The Garden of Words will be his first story about love in the traditional Japanese meaning of the word. Originally, “love” was written as “lonely sadness” (koi), and, according to Shinkai, the modern concept of “love” (ai) was imported from the West. While his new film is set in the modern era, it will be about koi in the original “lonely sadness” meaning — of longing for someone in solitude.

Kenichi Tsuchiya designed the characters and oversaw the animation process. Hiroshi Takiguchi served as the art director, and Daisuke Kashiwa composed the music. Miyu Irino and Kana Hanazawa headline the cast as Takao and Yukino, respectively. Motohiro Hata contributed the theme song “Rain” with lyrics and music by Senri Oe.

The 46-minute film will open in Japan on May 31, after Shinkai hosted its world premiere at at Australia’s Gold Coast Film Festival (GCFF) last month. Sentai Filmworks will release the film digitally with a release on bilingual Blu-ray Disc and DVD to follow later this year.

http://thegardenofwordsmovie.com/news.html

News

Sentai Filmworks’ is proud to present Makoto Shinkai as their Anime Expo Guest of Honor 2013 and to announce the Premier of the English language dub.

Guest Appearances

Saturday 3:00PM to 4:00PM
Makoto Shinkai will introduce the English Premier in Video Room 1. Seating for 1,000. Open to the public.

Saturday 4:15PM to 5:00PM
Makoto Shinkai will sign autographs at The Garden of Words Green Carpet Event at Lounge 21. Free cocktails courtesy of Sentai Filmworks. Limited space available. Free VIP tickets available at Sentai booth - while supplies last.

Sunday 1:00PM
Industry Guest Panel for The Garden of Words

Sentai is providing free booze?!

Sentai, and even Funi, events are no where near as awesome at the later-summer cons that I regularly attend. Sentai’s panel at Otakon last year just can’t compete with what has been posted here, to pick an example. TBH it seemed that it was a miracle for Sentai to get any panel @ Otakon 2012.

Hopefully there will be some awesomeness left in Sentai’s tank for the later in the year cons.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-22/shinkai-garden-of-words-to-be-screened-with-dareka-no-manazashi

Shinkai’s Garden of Words to Be Screened with ‘Dareka no Manazashi’

posted on 2013-05-22 23:43 EDT

The official Twitter account of auteur director Makoto Shinkai announced on Wednesday that The Garden of Words anime film will be screened with his short Dareka no Manazashi. In addition, the film will be offered on iTunes at the same time that the film opens in Japan on May 31. Plus, the film will play simultaneously in theaters in Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

Cover art has been posted.

English Dub Cast

ADR Director - Steven Foster

Takao Akizuki - Patrick Poole
Yukari Yukino - Maggie Flecknoe
Takao’s Mother - Shelley Calene-Black
Takao’s Brother - Crash Buist
Brother’s Girlfriend - Brittney Karbowski
Mr. Ito - David Matranga
Matsumoto - Mike Yager
Sato - Alison Sumrall
Aizawa - Hilary Haag
Young Takao - Blake Shepard

Additional Voices
Shannon Emerick
Kalob Martinez
Andrea Schutter
Wendy Martin
Summar Salah
Shannon Hill

There are some names on there that I don’t recognize (the ones with the bigger font). Are they all new(er) actors or should I be expecting to hear some old voices with new names mixed in there?

Whaattt

You don’t know who Steven Foster is
naw, I don’t believe you.

Mike Yager is I guess somewhat new, but I think you’ve already heard him:

Mike Yager ANN Page

The others are prob fresh new faces/voices. Newbies are always cool to hear.

LOL. I had some issues with the tags on that post. Shoulda just taken out the other names but I wanted to play with the tags
and I got tagged for it :laugh:

I guess in a way I don’t know who Stephen Foster is, he keeps a low profile lol. I’ve seen David Williams and I know Matt Greenfield is “that guy who looks eerily like George Lucas” but Foster is just a big ? to me lol.

It does seem like I have heard Mike Yager after all but didn’t really recognize the name thx.

Speaking of things that I missed, I totally missed that this has an English commentary track until now (relooked at the pix posted above). Now I am compelled to buy it. Maybe even several copies

So the Blu-ray of this shipped from Rightstuf for me.

A few people on FandomPost have already received their copies. The movie and dub are getting great reviews. The male lead, Patrick Poole, has especially been getting raves. I was hoping to order this soon, but I may have to hold off. I just had $600 in car repairs done and we have to spend another $600 on surgery for our dog. :stuck_out_tongue:

600 bucks on dog surgery?!!

Now my interest in the dub is piqued, though I suspect it is from what is called “morbid curiosity” as I’ve found that “the internet” and I generally disagree on what makes a great dub. Though to clarify I, due to Foster’s involvement, doubt that this will be a bad dub, instead suspecting that it just won’t live up to the hype.

How good is the movie by itself? “Absent-minded older woman meets up with younger man” has potential, kinda
I guess? Also, RightStuf sending this out over a month in advance is nice. It’s even cheaper than Amazon’s offering (significantly). This helps “restore my faith” a bit in 'em after their sketchy sale.

Interestingly, as I post this the BD of this is cheaper than the DVD on RightStuf (by $0.75). That’s progress.

Completed prelim watch of this in Japanese.

Subtitle of this should be “The Ballad of the Beta Male”; the ex and the woman were perhaps more right than they knew when they referred to the protagonist as an “old woman”. I take it that this is an example of those “herbivore men”.

I guess this could be taken as a piece about how having a messed-up mother messes up the children. Maybe.

Though the Jackie Chan line “Not every Asian is Bruce Lee!” is definitely appropriate here.

I just watched the dub of this on bluray. The sound is royally screwed unless this is watched in 5.1. This has the most awkward audio mix for a 5.1 series that I think I’ve heard; why are the BGM and thunder FX on the primary channels and the dialogue really not?

To hear the dialogue I had to crank the volume but then when a peal of thunder went off it was so loud that the sub caused items to shake on my shelves.

Sentai Fail.

I’ve seen this 3 times now

English extras were pretty interesting. Japanese video interview extras were less so; DNAngel or Planetes this was not.

I could do with more of these though.

The Garden of Words (Sub/Dub) is live at ANO

Global Shinkai Day 2014

And though it’s not part of the CR Shinkai celebration, you can watch this on TAN to participate in the Shinkai celebration.

Garden of Words Wins Stuttgart Fest of Animated Film’s Top Award

posted on 2014-04-29 09:11 EDT
Competed in AniMovie section with Giovanni’s Island, Bill Plympton’s Cheatin’, 9 more films

HIDIVE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SPANISH DUB STREAMING

2019-06-24T05:00:00Z