This Boy... Series

This Boy Can Fight Aliens! / Kono Danshi, Uchū-jin to Tatakaemasu

Themes: yaoi
Running time: 28 minutes
Vintage: 2011-10-10

Plot Summary: When aliens suddenly invade the world, Earth seems to be fighting a losing battle until Arikawa, one of the defense command staff, accidentally discovers a young man lying on a hill. Tests soon prove the impossible: this one teenager, Kakashi, has the power to defeat the attackers. Unfortunately, Kakashi has also lost his memory, and with it the knowledge of how to actually use his power. Moving Kakashi in with himself and his own commander, Shiro, Arikawa accidentally starts a strange triangle of emotions and relationships. A triangle that threatens the fate of the planet as Kakashi begins to question his own motivations.

ANN Info Page

Press Release for This Boy Can Fight Aliens

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “THIS BOY CAN FIGHT ALIENS!”

HOUSTON, March 24, 2012—Sentai Filmworks proudly continues the company’s commitment to showcasing the newest and most innovating creators and films in the anime field with their latest short film acquisition, THIS BOY CAN FIGHT ALIENS! Produced by CoMix Wave, which helped initiate the current revolution in independent anime production with the works of Makoto Shinkai (Voices of A Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days) that have inspired a whole new wave of animators in Japan, THIS BOY CAN FIGHT ALIENS! was written and created by director Soubi Yamamoto, who’s making her long format animation debut after producing animation for video games and cell phones.

When aliens suddenly invade the world, Earth seems to be fighting a losing battle until Arikawa, one of the defense command staff, accidentally discovers a young man lying on a hill. Tests soon prove the impossible: this one teenager, Kakashi, has the power to defeat the attackers! Unfortunately, Kakashi has also lost his memory, and with it the knowledge of how to actually use his power. Moving Kakashi in with himself and his own commander, Shiro, Arikawa accidentally starts a strange triangle of emotions and relationships. A triangle that threatens the fate of the planet as Kakashi begins to question his own motivations! From up and coming director Soubi Yamamoto, and CoMix Wave, who spearheaded Japan’s new wave of independent anime production, comes a film that turns The War of The Worlds inside out: THIS BOY CAN FIGHT ALIENS!

THIS BOY CAN FIGHT ALIENS will soon be available digitally, with a home video release on DVD & BD scheduled for later this year. Look for it online www.thisboycanfightaliens.com or on Facebook at Facebook

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like High School of the Dead, Towanoquon, Samurai Girls, Guin Saga, Needless and Angel Beats as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network, Android Market and YouTube.

This Boy Caught a Merman / Kono Danshi, Ningyo Hiroimashita.

Themes: Shounen-ai
Vintage: 2012-11-09

Plot Summary: Shima has always strove to be an excellent obedient child to his parents and to others, but in the process he could never be himself. Because of this he has always felt lonely, even with all the people who say they love him. When the picture of his recently deceased grandfather falls into the ocean, Shima nearly drowns jumping in after it. He is quickly saved by a mysterious man. In a daze Shima confesses his loneliness to the stranger, who then vows to stay by Shima’s side for as long as he needs him. Shima quickly finds out that this stranger is a merman. Shima takes him home, and names him Isaki. Isaki and Shima quickly become friends, but find out that their feelings for each other might go past that of friendship.

ANN Info Page

This Boy Suffers from Crystallization / Kono Danshi, Sekika ni Nayandemasu

Genres: supernatural
Plot Summary: High school boy Ayumu Tamari finds it hard to attend his classes especially since he had to repeat the year due to suffering from a strange syndrome which makes parts of its body’s skin turn into a crystal whenever he experiences a strong emotion or stress. To the rescue comes his homeroom teacher Kouya Onihara, who also happens to love crystals. The relationship between them grows as Tamari tries to fit into his classes and other daily activities thanks to the pleasant time he spends in Onihara’s office, which allows him to relax more (and crystallize less) acting more naturally towards his classmates.
Vintage: 2014-12-03

ANN Info Page

This Boy is a Professional Wizard / Kono Danshi, Mahō ga Oshigoto Desu.

Genres: magic, romance
Plot Summary: Chiharu is a wizard in charge of the magic department’s crisis counter-measure division. His days are hectic, but he meets a candid young man named Toyohi at his favorite bar, and the two hit it off. On their way home, Toyohi suddenly confesses to Chiharu. Chiharu is at first bewildered at his unexpected confession, but he starts to fall into Toyohi’s pace, and the two begin to spend more time together. However, after a mistake at work, Chiharu decides to devote himself to his work and pushes Toyohi away.
Running time: 13 minutes per episode
Number of episodes: 4
Vintage: 2016-02-05 to 2016-02-26

ANN Info Page

1 Like

English Dub Cast

ADR Director - Janice Williams

Kakashi - Blake Shepard
Arikawa - Greg Ayres
Shiro - David Matranga
Yamamura - Christopher Patton
Toru - Brittney Karbowski
Haruka - Clint Bickham

http://www.thisboycanfightaliens.com/post/24924316016/english-dub-cast-revealed

Is this going on it’s own disc? Seems like a waste. Sentai should put like 4-6 30 minute short films onto a disc. Just a thought, I’m never a fan of spending on something that runs so short.

Since it’ll probably be overlooked since I posted this in the license announcement thread awhile ago, I’ll post here as well.

https://www.facebook.com/ThisBoyCanFightAliens/posts/142003282592945

This Boy Can Fight Aliens

Good news! To all the fans waiting for This Boy Can Fight Aliens US release - we have some exclusive information from Sentai Filmworks, the DVD/BD release will include three of Soubi Yamamoto’s short works!

Sekaikei Sekairon (appx. 4min)
Ra/ Radio noise * Planet (appx. 3min)
Robotica * Robotics (appx. 10min)

Also, I have heard a juicy rumor that even more goodies will be included to make this a really special edition.

You know how I haven’t heard return to Sentai, Braden Hunt.

Extras sound good, but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

btw, does opera (web browser) have a built in & convenient image blocker, because I could really use one now.

The extras only going to be sub-only or will they dub them?

[quote=“Slowhand”]English Dub Cast

ADR Director - Janice Williams

Kakashi - Blake Shepard
Arikawa - Greg Ayres
Shiro - David Matranga
Yamamura - Christopher Patton
Toru - Brittney Karbowski
Haruka - Clint Bickham[/quote]

Is Janice Williams really the ADR director? I remember trusting ANN when they said that she directed some eps of Blue Drop and getting burned as it was 100% bogus.

Greg Ayres, Blake Shepard, AND Clint Bickham in the same show? That means that we know there are at least 3 male characters in the show who, most likely, don’t have a spine. :wink:

I’m still not “feeling” Chris Patton, but I’m not opposed to him. Eventually he’ll reclaim his former glory, and if he truly has sworn off Funimation, I’m glad that Sentai has taken him “back”.

Any Sentai dub with “Orphen…from Orphen” has to be good. Like the sun rising in the East and the Pope being Catholic, it’s a fact of life. B) :laugh:

Janice Williams supplied the dub cast, so yes she did direct it.

And in case there is any question about it…

http://www.thisboycanfightaliens.com/post/24924316016/english-dub-cast-revealed

I want to see this now, just for that. After the commentary on Le Chevalier D’Eon, I want to see how she directs. TBH, considering how many times I’ve seen Janice Williams mistakenly listed as a director for a series that she didn’t direct, I’m having extreme difficulties believing that she is truly the director. No offense, just full disclosure :wink:

Her being mistakingly listed as a director only happened once, and that was due to a mistake in the credits on Sentai’s release.

She has directed many episodes and series for Sentai, including episodes of Clannad, After Story, and Ghost Hound.

I’ve seen her credited for more than one show, mistakenly, as the director.

Not in the credits so much, but on supposedly trustworthy sites like ANN. As I said, ANN used to proclaim that Matt Greenfield only directed eps 1-5 of Blue Drop and that Janice Williams directed the rest. I, and ANN, have since learned that this is not true. I could list others, but I don’t think there’s a real point to do so as the mistakes were eventually cleared up, but they have left me extremely skeptical of the internet reporting things about her.

On a tangent, I don’t really put much stock in Sentai’s DVD credits. They too frequently don’t list all the cast by character name (yet the Japanese cast is so credited), and there is the latest eff-up on the Fate Unlimited Blade Works blu-ray where the credits state that 2 Japanese actors voiced in the English dub (including Tomokazu Seki, which is pretty funny).

We weren’t listing ANN as our source for it, but rather Janice Williams herself and the official website for the release. ANN credits are notoriously untrustworthy as they are community edited, just like Wikipedia. You should always take their listings with a grain of salt.

Issues with end credits on R1 releases is problem inherent to everyone. Funimation is notorious for incorrectly listing Japanese actors, or leaving them out entirely, even when given permission to include them.

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]

And in case there is any question about it…

http://www.thisboycanfightaliens.com/post/24924316016/english-dub-cast-revealed[/quote]

Thank you, Coffee, I see I forgot to cite my source. Must be my Alice-heimers kicking in again.

[quote=“dragonrider_cody”]We’re weren’t listing ANN as our source for it, but rather Janice Williams herself and the official website for the release. ANN credits are notoriously untrustworthy as they are community edited, just like Wikipedia. You should always take their listings with a grain of salt.

Issues with end credits on R1 releases is problem inherent to everyone. Funimation is notorious for incorrectly listing Japanese actors, or leaving them out entirely, even when given permission to include them.[/quote]

Originally there was no source, that I saw, for the cast list. That’s why I had to ask, I’ve been burned by the internet anime grapevine before :frowning:

There’s some irony in ANN’s frequently wrong and incomplete information (when I saw Unlimited Blade Works they didn’t even have the full English cast listing) when it calls itself the “most trusted anime news source” :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I’ve seen the screw-ups in credits with other companies but I find 'em worse with Sentai as I hold Sentai to higher standards and their unfortunate trend of not listing which roles all the actors played is very frustrating for me. I don’t notice that problem much with the other companies, so I can’t rightly complain about it with them.

EDIT: Most of the time I don’t care one bit about the Japanese actors so I haven’t noticed Funimation omitting them.

You brought up ANN’s cast lists AFTER you were provided with a source for the cast. If you have problem with their processes, this is not the place to discuss it. You have the information and source now.

All right, that’s enough with the nit-picking.

You’ve got the cast and the ADR Director - you’ve got the source … now :blush:

Let’s move on.

Haha! Step away from the edit screen for one minute. B)

So confrontational…some people. :wink: I thought we had moved past this :silly:

Since you’re nitpicking, I did notice this peculiar word choice of yours earlier:

Besides being grammatically incorrect, who is the “we” in that sentence? Slowhand and The Coffee God are the only people I see citing sources for this cast list, and to my knowledge you are not either of them so you can’t properly say “we” in this regard when it was really something in which you had no part. The armchair psychologist in me is reading into this perhaps a bit much.

Speaking of sources, would you mind providing them for the following claim that you made?

Anyhow, I did mention ANN in my first post, but yes, I did not explicitly call out the ANN cast lists there. I really only mentioned them to explain to you that I was not getting my misinformation from the release credits, to which I then elaborated that I find issue with the Sentai credits generally.

I don’t know if this occurred to you, but what happened to me in this thread was the post with the source was posted while I was still typing my follow-up post, which thus appears after it. This forum doesn’t give you a heads-up that someone has posted a follow-up between the time you hit “reply” and the time that you hit “submit”, as you may have noticed.

The most important thing here is: why does it matter when or if I mention ANN’s notoriously inaccurate cast listings?