Thread of Game Soundtracks

So… yeah. Video game soundtracks are my main in music genre, tykes. I’d enjoy hearing the favorites of my fellow TAN-Dwellers…

-Arranged soundtracks are allowed. If they are covers/remixes, they go http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,131/catid,25/func,view/id,108151/

-Dont really have to do this one, but a nice description of why you like the track would be nice. It’d give the other something to look forward to whilst listening to the song. (tykes, tykes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLaSDTdthBI

I really enjoy Ape Escape music. Soichi Terada is by far my top favorite composer, and considered rather underrated, imo.

Probably one of the greatest video game sound tracks, IN THE WORLD, Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Here’s the chemical plant zone song, THE BEST song of the entire soundtrack.

But seriously, I get sonic music stuck in my head all the time. Especially when Sonic Generations came out, and I had access to the classic OSTs within the game. Ya, I never gave the newer songs a chance, because from Sonic Adventure and on, the music sucked.

The metal gear and Final Fantasy games have really great soundtracks.

This is the boss fight theme from Metal Gear Solid 2.

The Super Smash Brothers series of games also has a lot of good music.

This is the very epic-sounding opening theme to Super Smash Brothers: Brawl. It’s in Latin!

Of course, I can’t forget that every Zelda soundtrack ever made has been wonderful. Some of my favorites are from Wind Waker… I’ll post one of those for now, more later :slight_smile:

This is the song that plays during the intro movie to Wind Waker. It’s called Legendary Hero. Rather than just the song, I may as well just post the intro movie to Wind Waker :stuck_out_tongue:

FUCK YEAH, awesome game, awesome soundtrack. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was one of the first games I ever got into, probably around the age of 3. I played it every weekend for at least three years.

I have a lot of fond memories of the game and its soundtrack, though I was freaked out by a lot of the levels. The music from Chemical Plant Zone, despite it being amazing, actually makes me feel somewhat perturbed to a very slight degree even hearing it now. I was always scared of falling into the liquid whenever you had to run across it at the bottom of the level, or drowning as it was rising.

Same goes for the Aquatic Ruin Zone; god damn, hate drowning.

I don’t have the patience to try and hunt them up on YouTube, but Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross both have spectacular soundtracks, and I also like a lot of the music done for Final Fantasy VI through XI. The Ar Tonelico games have great music as well, although the songs I’ve liked the most when playing them aren’t in the Japanese or American soundtracks. I also like a lot of the music used for the Kingdom Hearts series, Grandia series, Wild Arms series, Shin Megami Tensei games (well, not quite as much for Strange Journey), most Atelier titles, the newer Disgaea titles, .hack//G.U., most Tales of games (Phantasia wasn’t quite as stellar, and I haven’t played Vesperia yet), Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (although I can’t stand the voice overs in it, the absolute worse voice overs I’ve ever had the mis-fortune to hear), Soul Calibur 2, and Soul Calibur 3.

There are a few songs I like in most of the rest of my game collection, but it seems like since the PS2 a lot of companies haven’t put as much effort into the quality of the soundtracks as they used to, although in the more recent years that trend has started to gradually change (FFXIII and FFXIII-2 both have way better soundtracks than FFXII, which was only good on major events). Nippon Ichi hasn’t had very many games with poor quality soundtracks, though the Ar Tonelico titles are way above the rest (but then again they do a few not-so-simple things with it that I happen to especially like, so I’m severely biased).

Of course, with the huge selection of music I have on my desktop if I don’t like a games music I rarely have to tolerate it for very long, and I’ll put up with questionable audio quality for good gameplay (which is the only reason I own a copy of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony when I also have a copy of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete).

Lol, Shanks, I disagree slightly. While the tracks will never be as good as the original. The Chemical Plant remix for Generations actually felt rather decent (Chemical Plant being one of my favorite tracks, tykes). It didn’t stray too far from the norm, and I guess I found that alright, tykes.

My favorite Sonic track? Possibly Sky Sanctuary…

@Hornet65- Ironic, 'cause I remember hearing Yell, Dead Cell from SSBB. They had a great collection of songs in the collection.

And Wind Waker music? freakin’ Molgera!

As far as I can see, I agree with the majority of series that you mentioned, Razmoudah. Nippon Ichi never fails me. but those are soundtracks for another day, tykes.

You know the soundtrack is awesome if when listening to it you get a strong urge to play the games again.

Perfect for the level. It has a very calm yet mysterious tone to it, perfect for the night-time setting of the level.

Best soundtrack in the series to date. I felt really underwhelmed by Brotherhood’s soundtrack–it felt like a homogenous batch of dark and gritty songs. ACII had a much more wondrous atmosphere. Since ACIII is going to finally focus on new characters, it will hopefully bring with it a more refreshing soundtrack.

Arranged tracks from games? But I already have a Touhou thread! :laugh:
Anyway, a few OSTs I fell in absolute love with the first time I heard them:

I mean, I’ve been told many times that this track would be shadowed by another one in another Zelda game when I play, but I just can’t get over this one. I love it stand-alone, and I love it even more when there is the build-up in the game. :wink:

You should have seen this one coming… or at least one from this series. :stuck_out_tongue: Nu is probably my favorite character, including her theme being my favorite as well (though Platinum is catching up quick). If you aren’t in the Blazblue group, then you wouldn’t know this tidbit of information, but I was actually going to call myself (my screen name) Nu. I settled on Tager because, well, one of my friends didn’t let me play as Nu, so I needed to switch characters. :<

I’m going to blow all your minds now and post some music from the Persona 4 Soundtrack (not the anime :P)

These songs are actually heard in the anime though they were in the game long before then. :slight_smile:

The Opening video to the game: Pursuing My True Self

Standard enemy encounter music: Reach Out to the Truth

Boss battle music: I’ll Face Myself

[quote=“Hentai” post=108550]

FUCK YEAH, awesome game, awesome soundtrack. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was one of the first games I ever got into, probably around the age of 3. I played it every weekend for at least three years.

I have a lot of fond memories of the game and its soundtrack, though I was freaked out by a lot of the levels. The music from Chemical Plant Zone, despite it being amazing, actually makes me feel somewhat perturbed to a very slight degree even hearing it now. I was always scared of falling into the liquid whenever you had to run across it at the bottom of the level, or drowning as it was rising.

Same goes for the Aquatic Ruin Zone; god damn, hate drowning.

Oh man, the music from that zone is so chilling, I probably hated that level the most of all.

Sky Sanctuary was probably one of my favorite levels in Generations, I really wish they’d remake some more levels, and release them as DLC for the game. I’d like to see a remake of a couple of games, coincidentally both are from Sonic 2.

Does anyone else get the feeling that game soundtracks as a whole don’t have as good of soundtracks as older games? I’m piecing together the last 5 games that I’ve played a lot of, and out of them the only game I can think of with a memorable soundtrack would have to be Bastion. Mass Effect 1&2 go for the cinematic movie score type of soundtrack, the kind that you’re not supposed to notice above the drama. Warhammer 40k: Space Marine’s soundtrack wasn’t memorable either. Skyrim’s soundtrack (minus the advertising song) has the same problems as well. I think they’re all trying to emulate movies in how they compose their soundtracks nowadays, and it’s leading to less memorable soundtracks. Anyone else noticing the same sort of thing?

Here’s a couple of songs from Bastion, in case no one has played that game.

It’s hard to pick just a few, I’d link the whole soundtrack if I could.

I would like to see more stages for Sonic Generations. Too many classic stages that I think deserved the spotlight.

Really enjoyed the Bastion tracks, especially Terminal march. That sitar won me over, tykes!

I agree, Shanks; soundtracks aren’t what they normally used to be, but there’s still a bit of hope in a few games. As I said before, Nippon Ichi Soundtracks dont normally let me down, and Disgaea 4’s tracks are pretty moving.

Track used during final battle.

Tager-I know all about Touhou rearrangements, lol. There’s this one song that I’ve heard, and I wish I could find it again. I remember hearing that Blazblue track before, and I still cant get over it. I really haven’t played it, but my penpal introduced me to loads of tracks, like Carl Clover’s theme, which I’m fond of, as well as the character, lol (tykes, tykes)

Hentai- Spyro was my hero… before he went multiplatform, along with Crash Bandicoot. I still play their games to this day.

My top favorite. The piano mixes well with the rest of the dreamy instruments (sweet irony, considering the home world, lol), really giving it that ‘lofty’ feel, tykes. Honorable mentions goes to Cliff Town and Misty Bog (Stone Hill’s track in the Spyro the Dragon demo)

Hornet- Have you heard the P4 Reincarnation album? I personally prefer it as an acquired taste- there’s only… 2 or 3 that I like at the moment. I have a ton of favorites from the Persona 4 soundtrack. I can adapt to the beats in the pop tracks, and some of the others. Nice, sad tunes like ‘Heaven’ and ‘Alone.’ a little bit of everything, tykes.

It’s very strange, because I love this track, but I hate the original, tykes.

If I had the time, and inclination, to look for them I’d add in the intro videos for Persona 3: FES, they were both great songs with great videos (reminding me of Kingdom Hearts and Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, the songs are great by themselves, but paired with the videos they are absolutely awesome). Hopefully in a couple of days I’ll be able to attempt to comment on Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2’s soundtrack. Although I probably should finish mk1 before I start playing mk2, but that’s an issue for another thread/day/time.

I can help you search for that missing song. :3 Though the archive is far from completion, and I know I haven’t listened to at least half of the songs in circulation, I would love to be of help if I could. ^-^

I have to say I’m quite un-fond of Carl, but I’m sure that is more about a certain aspect of my playing experiance. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have never played Metal Gear Solid 1, but I do love this song. It has a slight nestalgic feeling for me, for various reasons. (I put it in spoilers because if you haven’t played it, the title may be a bit spoilerish.)

Another song I love from a game I love (the series as well). I grew up with Halo in the console, but I find that insignificant compared to all the other reasons I love it. It takes up a good portion of my American games OST favorites. :slight_smile:

Geez, just make me feel like an old man why don’t you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve got nearly 2 decades on Halo, so it was hardly a part of my ‘growing up’ experience (also, I don’t like the original Xbox, and since I haven’t worked with a 360 yet my opinion is still unformed). I know I’m not the oldest one around here, but referring to a game that young as part of your ‘growing up’ experience just makes us feel even older.

Every time I see this thread I read it as Game of Thrones. :confused:

Spent less than half an hour playing that one afternoon, but that’s a game from when I grew up to help put things in perspective for the youngsters around here.

[quote=“Iron K. Tager” post=108717]

I can help you search for that missing song. :3 Though the archive is far from completion, and I know I haven’t listened to at least half of the songs in circulation, I would love to be of help if I could. ^-^

I have to say I’m quite un-fond of Carl, but I’m sure that is more about a certain aspect of my playing experiance. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have never played Metal Gear Solid 1, but I do love this song. It has a slight nestalgic feeling for me, for various reasons. (I put it in spoilers because if you haven’t played it, the title may be a bit spoilerish.)

Another song I love from a game I love (the series as well). I grew up with Halo in the console, but I find that insignificant compared to all the other reasons I love it. It takes up a good portion of my American games OST favorites. :slight_smile:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHLvNwBgkjU[/video][/quote]

If you’ve never played MGS1, why is that song nostalgic for you? Just curious. I’m so glad they released that as a PS1 classic on PSN.

One of my favorite solo guitarists made a few tracks for Halo 2, and I’d love to post a few songs from it but it seems nearly impossible to find a good version of them.

Lol, Pretear, MMPP music rocked way back when, and do you mean Game of Drones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MPCMkLr__c
In spoilers because it has nothing to do with video game soundtracks.

A lot of the Genesis games had good soundtracks.
One of my favorites was Kid Chameleon .

Also probably one of the harder games from the Genesis era since it was such a long game (103 levels) which had no password or save system .

It’s a song I listened to a long time ago as a “reliever”, persay. I used to listen to it quite a lot, and it was a favorite of the time. I never played the games (and back then didn’t even care about them), but I sure did enjoy the music. :slight_smile:

Well, I didn’t exactly grow up with Halo to begin with; that came a little while after I moved back. :stuck_out_tongue: The games I remember Growing up with from as far back as I can remember, would be Ocerina of Time, Star Fox 64, and Super Smash Bros. (I might post songs about them later. ^-^ )

I’ll have to look for the video where I’ve heard the Touhou track, Tager. It was a Disgaea 2 gameplay vid, so it shouldn’t take too long, tykes…

Really like the Halo 3 track, as well. I feel like I’ve been stranded on a cold earth, somehow…

Pretear- That track really brings me back into the great yesteryear, tykes! Only partially, though- I didn’t really like Power Rangers as a wee tykes, just the awesome face-punching-with-rapid-testosterone song (Am I the only one like that? :/)

psychopuppet- This is already an instant favorite, tykes! Feels like I want to storm the sidewalk in a leather jacket with a crowbar… at the age of 5… :blink:

Timber’s in a No More Heroes mood, tykes.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc-HB8i-XzU

[/spoiler]

Well, all of these are from Desperate Struggle. I’ll post my favorites from the first NMH another time, tykes. A lot of the songs in this OST I just had countless hours of fun with. I like them all, but my top favorites from this bunch would be ‘Burning Daylight’ and ‘Dose of Innocence.’ Both have a great beat, but the first one’s like ‘let’s get straight to it, tykes!’ And the other one, given the boss, just made me feel kinda unsafe…