Your Expertise?

Huh, so there are many games that one would be good at, but what game(s) do you consider to know about a lot? What games are you an expert of, tykes?

Who knows, you could even help one who’s been stuck on a certain area or boss for a while, or something of that caliber… (tykes…)

I have a few that I find I can play well. While I dont have all of the graffiti souls due to a certain bug, I think I have a nice rhythm system in my skating for Jet Set Radio Future for the Xbox. I’m also terribly awesome with Yoshi in Super Mario 64 DS multiplayer, tykes.

I’ve always been one to stay away from the more violent shooters, and I’m really good at car racing games, notably Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport. I’ve found that that’s what I’m the best at, so that’s what I focus on. I’m also very knowledgeable about cars, so that helps.

That isn’t to say I don’t enjoy shooters at all, I just can’t stand all the kids. The only shooters I will say I play are the Armored Core series games, since I got into that at an early age, and I like the whole giant mecha concept.

I honestly can’t remember the last time I lost in a game of Mario Party or Mario Kart: Double Dash. Granted, I don’t play them very often at all. Can’t wait for the new Mario Party, though I’ve heard it won’t have online play.

I remember playing lots of Gran Turismo when I was younger. Racing games are always my favorite in terms of multiplayer competition. However, it branches further away from car racing games to racing games of any nature growing up, most notably Mario Kart with my friends at the library (tournaments and everything, tykes).

A simple strategy there is simple- keeping a shell behind you as a shield from shells, lol. Not as realistic as car racing, but it’s definitely craftier, imo… (tykes…)

As a genre, my expertise would most likely be Tactical RPGs- Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, that stuff, lol. Nothing like a big game of anime chess to rack your brain, tykes.

[quote]
I honestly can’t remember the last time I lost in a game of Mario Party or Mario Kart: Double Dash. Granted, I don’t play them very often at all. Can’t wait for the new Mario Party, though I’ve heard it won’t have online play.[/quote]

I’ve never played a game of Mario Party before! Always wanted to, tykes. Same goes for Double Dash, though I think I’ve seen it in gamestop. If my mind isn’t made up, I may just purchase it…

I’ve never been that good at racing games, most often I’d get 3rd or 4th in Mario Kart 64. Is it sad that I still haven’t played a Mario Kart game more recent than that? I mean, that games what now, 15 years old?

I’m ridiculously good at the original Super Smash Bros., and can beat most people with either Fox, Ness, or Kirby. I probably played that game every day for a year straight after moving into my first apartment. I can’t play Melee or Brawl that well, but I remember beating some guy who was “#1” at his college with what he thought was the joke character of the game, Toon Link. But that’s really the only time I was that good at the recent iterations.

I’ve played the hell out of Half Life 2, and know where practically all the enemy spawn points are in that game.

Probably the game I know the most about though is Starcraft 2, but at the same time I don’t play much so I can’t pull anything off that well in that game. I just love watching the pros play, and talking about their strategies while predicting who wins. I probably get excited in the same way that most people get excited over American football.

Oh God, I haven’t “gamed” in forever. I’d say I stand a pretty good chance at kicking anyone’s ass at Super Smash Bros. though, as Pikachu even. I also loved and was good at Star Fox 64 and other such classics. Kingdom Hearts one and two are my jam as well. God I’m lame. I’m going to go cry in a corner now while you guys throw popcorn at me. ;_;

Hey shak,

do you remember Chameleon Twist?

Pikachu is overpowered.

Oh man, I loved that game for how ridiculous it was, though I was tremendously bad at it. I could only get to about the fourth or fifth level before I’d have to give up.

Pikachu is indeed overpowered, tykes. I knew a guy who spammed thunder every five seconds. Couldn’t move anywhere on the stage…

Of course, I dont know too much about the earlier SSBs, since Brawl was my first. I gave in to the nerdy peer pressure and bought a copy, even had a tough brawling sensei. I’m confident in my abilities now. I’m a sure hand with Meta Knight (cheap, I know, tykes :P), Ice Climbers, and Toon Link (I dont think of him of a joke, in fact, he’s a faster and more able form of Link, lol).

I wouldn’t mind a friendly match with anyone back at home during break, provided anyone fancies a match, tykes…

Ya, it’s especially bad in Brawl, where the cooldown on that ability is so ridiculously short. It basically shuts down any jumping, and air skirmishes, which is one of my favorite ways to play the game.

Toon Link is much better than Link in my opinion. I just wish they didn’t make his Super Smash ability weaker than Link’s. It’s just fun to play a dodgy mother fucker, throwing bombs and arrows everywhere.

Meta Knight is so cheap.

I play a lot of games, from almost every genre there is…

Although I don’t particularly like the crowd that tends to gravitate toward multiplayer first person shooters, I find that I’m pretty good at them. :frowning: Though the people who play Battlefield 3, are much different compared to the people who play Modern Warfare 3 (BF3 is a much better community).
Though not all first person shooters are associated with annoying kids… If any of you have ever played Borderlands, you’ll know what I mean. It’s one of my favorite shooters, and it’s a whole lot of fun :slight_smile:
but borderlands has a lot of RPG elements to it, so it’s not just mindless shooting. But it’s FUN!

I like adventure games like The Legend of Zelda of course, and RPGs are also good fun.

I’m not too good with Real Time Strategy games, though I do enjoy playing them.

I’ve played my fair share of MMOs as well, spending most of my time in Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.

I’m not too big into racing games, Forza Motorsport being the only one I could really get into.

I would say I’m pretty decent at most games that I play… given a little practice, I could probably get pretty good at them… and then There’s the MOBA genre… I’m not great at them, but I don’t suck as much as I used to.

MOBA, for those who don’t know, stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. Games that fit into this category are DotA (Defense of the Ancients), DotA 2, Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, and a few others as well… In some ways Super Monday Night Combat fits into this genre.

Also, while we’re on the topic of old(er) games… Did any of you play Yoshi Story?

That game was weird.

I’m just not a fan of shooters, in general. I find myself thinking on a dime in heated situations, and it usually doesn’t turn out well, tykes. The ‘annoying kid’ issue doesn’t bother me, but rather the groups that think that shooters are the only game genre that exists…

Timber’s a grand fan of The Legend of Zelda, though there are still some games I’ve not played yet, mainly from the pocket section. I’ve the console games and am rather confident in my abilities. Majora’s Mask still frustrates me to this day, however… (tykes, tykes…)

If it weren’t for my slow comp, I’d give a shot at a MOBA game, tykes.

I know someone who thinks that FPSs are the only games worth noting. Heck, he even claims that FPSs are the biggest selling genre, never mind that collectively RPGs have them out sold 2 or 3 to one. The difference is that most RPGs aren’t big names (seriously, for each big name RPG there are half a dozen or more small name RPGs that collectively sell 3 or 4 times as much, if not more, and each big name RPG has nearly equal sales to a big name FPS), there are just a lot more of them. And don’t forget, each console generation the console that does the best isn’t the one with the most powerful hardware, or the fanciest graphics, it’s almost universally the one with the most RPGs (excluding handheld systems). If memory serves me (and it might not in this case) you have to go back to the days of the NES to find a time when it wasn’t the console with the most RPGs that had the greatest percentage of market share. For a few years on the current gen consoles it was actually seeming as if the Xbox 360 would claim the top spot, as it had more exclusive RPGs than the PS3, but over the past 2 years that has severely shifted to the opposite.

As for my ‘expertise’, RPG, Action/Adventure (limitedly, don’t play a lot of them), Action RPG, Strategy RPG, RTS, Mario Kart, and Gran Turismo (the only two racing games I ever managed to really get into). I do have Soul Calibur 2 (GCN) and Soul Calibur 3, but I rely on FAQ/Walkthroughs a fair bit for those two. Technically I use FAQ/Walkthroughs quite a bit (if I don’t have the actual strategy guide) but some games I use them for more than others (some it’s just for a few miscellaneous things and hardly used at all, Trinity Universe for example, although I’m having to create the miscellaneous guides I need for it). I’ve tried playing a few MMORPGs, but my laptop doesn’t have the power needed to play the ones that I really enjoy, so I’m not that knowledgeable about them.

[quote=“Timber” post=108403]Timber’s a grand fan of The Legend of Zelda, though there are still some games I’ve not played yet, mainly from the pocket section. I’ve the console games and am rather confident in my abilities. Majora’s Mask still frustrates me to this day, however… (tykes, tykes…)
[/quote]

The Legend of Zelda is my favorite adventure series ever…Majora’s Mask was odd and annoying at first, but once I got used to it, it was actually a lot of fun.

This here is all the Zelda games I currently have in my possession:

http://i.imgur.com/tJYzt.jpg
The top two discs are both Ocarina of Time/Master Quest. I have two copies of it for some reason. The one on the right is actually all scratched and unplayable so I use it as a coaster.
The below that are a Collector’s Edition promotional disc which has Zelda, Zelda 2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora’s Mask on it. To the right of that, is Wind Waker.
the two cartridges below that are Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask.
To the right of all that is the original Zelda for the NES, and Twilight Princess for the Wii.
Finally, in the center, that little cartridge is Ocarina of Time for the 3DS.
In Total, I have 5 copies of Ocarina of Time… It’s a really good game :slight_smile:

I would say I am an expert at “Tonb Raider”, simply because I love the series. I’m pretty good at racing games, Wipeout being my favorite in the genre. I would kick Hentai’s AZZZ in Mario Party, including the upcoming MP9. I love Warhawk, but I suck at it. I’m not that great at some of the newer online fighter’s, I just get to pissed off when I keep getting smoked.
Slick

If MP9 has online multiplayer, YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU SAID THAT.

The latest Super Smash Brothers game has online multiplayer, so my hopes are high that they’ll have it for MP9…

Though if they have latency issues, that may be a problem.

[quote=“Hentai” post=108434]

If MP9 has online multiplayer, YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU SAID THAT.[/quote]

From what people are saying, it won’t have online capabilities. If it does, I’ll gladly play you, and beat you, for hours on end. I have MP 4-8, and have played each probably 100 times each.
Slick

Me? An expert at something? Well, I don’t feel like I’m that knowladgeable of anything to call myself that. The only thing I would say I know a lot about is Osu, which doesn’t really have a story or campaign or anything. :stuck_out_tongue: I do know a lot of story and lore from the Legend of Zelda, Halo, and Gears of War series, though I dropped out of Gears since I haven’t played it in forever.
As for ability? I’m almost unbeatable to any of my friends in any racing game, I can complete a LoZ game with no game-overs and too much money (not sure if that’s a talent), and for some reason I have the uncanny ability to meet the professionals on an even level on almost any shooter though I rarely ever play any of them (except Halo, because I’m a big fan ^-^ ).
Oh, of course!!! And fighting games! I’m pretty good at Blazblue, and consider myself to be quite knowladgeable of the lore and story abstracted from the actual campaign. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, fast post. Out of time. ^-^

I CAN BEAT YOU ALL AT SOLITAIRE!! oh wait… :blush:

Yup, my collection isn’t that different from yours, Hornet65 (Minus the multiple copies, OoT 3DS… and I’ve OoT and MM on Virtual Consle as well, tykes.)

My dad used to love Tomb Raider, and he passed it on to me when he passed his Playstation to me after mine had given the electrical ghost, tykes. I always loved searching for those rather intricate treasures. Even when I was younger, I racked my brain like mad finding them…

I consider the Zelda accomplishment a talent, Tager especially with Skyward Sword’s Hard mode. I’m not entirely sure, since I’ve not my own personal copy as of yet, but I’ve put my money on the difficulty of those more annoying monsters… (tykes, tykes…)

Maybe you can beat us in terms of Solitaire speed, Slowhand? Of course, a Solitaire tourney like that would take a bit of planning tykes… Timber’s an idea brewing…