Toonami News & Notes

Got it! Five hours of it anyway. I was recording the weekly Bleach episode (I know, I know) and I happened to see the TOM bump. The program sequence even included a RightStuf! ad with a TV-MA banner. At the end TOM’s ship flies away with the word “later”. Does this really mean Toonami will be back someday?

I’m a little surprised they ran a episode from the YuYu Hakusho Blu-ray release. My crappy cable box made them all look like long necked freaks. Then when they did the buy it thing it was for the DVD’s.

For those that care…

[adult swim] Twitter

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]For those that care…

[adult swim] Twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/adultswim/status/187004036824834049

Want it back? Let us know. #BringBackToonami[/quote]
tumblr’d

Toonami had MORE good shows that Adult Swim ever had…that stupid tom&eric crap, robot chicken, ALL the non-anime. Toonami the original TV source of anime, and with it back i would expect to see anime become more popular.

Seriously, read that feed, it’s amazing.

Yes, Mistress. It is.

The collective of Anime Fandom in the US is vocal, computer literate, and appears to have twitter mastered. Oh, and they for the most part grew up with Toonami.

Time Warner may have something unexpected on it’s hands, they would do well to ask the old hands at the Paramount retirement home about geek fans.

Mark Gosdin

I think there was a good chance even without the twitter deal. The rumored ratings were for the night high. Most of the Toonami staff from what I hear are still there. Just spread to different departments.

I wonder if it comes back will Sentai get something into the sandwich or will they lose out on a prime opportunity to get their name out to the unwashed Saturday night masses?

Adult Swim Gauges Interest in Bringing Back Toonami

posted on 2012-04-03 07:15 EDT
Cartoon Network brought back Toonami with Dragon Ball Z, Gundam W, more on April 1

I hope Sentai gets a piece of the action as they’ve been cheated out of the televised Anime market constantly. If the shows are going to be broadcast dubbed, then Sentai shows should be included as they are the best dubbed.

Btw which version of dbz was shown?

Though if they were to show newer shows in the vein of the shows that they just showed,lighthearted action/harem fare, what shows does Sentai have that compare?

[quote=“celestial_being”]Btw which version of dbz was shown?

Though if they were to show newer shows in the vein of the shows that they just showed,lighthearted action/harem fare, what shows does Sentai have that compare?[/quote]
It was the original Funimation DBZ dub I think Video really looked like the older untouched masters to me.

That may be the little bit of the problem I can think of several older series that would work they have but some shows would have some issues with the censors even though at that hour it should not be as big of issue. Given I’ve seen worse on broadcast channels at that time.

Though I think Infinite Stratos could slip in there without to much editing. Also most of their OVA’s could work as well. Night Raid 1931 , Persona 4 , and Princess Resurrection to name a few. Persona 4 would be the best fit though IMO.

I personally Canaan would be perfect for the slot. It’s got action, hot babes, and the gore and fan service are kept in check. It could work quite well on cable TV. Of course, the question is if Sentai has the personnel and resources to pursue TV deals.

Nope, you’ze all got it wrong. The best Sentai show that would be perfect for Neo-Toonami or even Adult Swim now would be

http://ani.me/site_media/media/articles/2010/07/01/Golgo_art_jpg_650x10000_q85.jpg

I’m actually surprised it’s not on.

Princess Resurrection would work too.

Both are episodic, for the most part, and after the initial 2-3 episodes, could be shown in any order and not loose any of the “plot”.

You have a good point there Tonka. Golgo would be a good fit.

Golgo 13 on Toonami? Maybe today, but back in the 90s even The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest was pushing the boundaries for violence on toonami.

Plus sex. The program block that censored episode 23 of outlaw star wouldn’t show Golgo. But they should. I agree.

Canaan could work, I could see that. Maybe the toonami edits could fix the ending. Hey, I can hope :wink:

:blink:

ever heard of DBZ… the thing that started Toonami, and you think Golgo is not to fit with Toonami because of violence? also Macross and Gundam were on Toonami back in 90s, and those shows has blood flowing form head wounds if i recall correctly.

this is CN we are talking about, whose cartoon violence includes Looney Toons with Daffy Duck getting his beak shot of 30+ times in one episode (rabbit season. duck season FIRE!)

maybe you are thinking of that Meguzi or whatever that replaced Toonami at the 4pm timeslot that had things like Yugioh, Pokemon, Code Lyoko, etc. and had the girl in her underwater place rather than TOM.

Cowboy Bebop fits AS, and would work for nightly Toonami during weekdays, so Golgo can go wherever Bebop goes.

for all we know Naruto could return to Toonami.

remember Toonami was afternoons to begin with, then moved to 9/10pm eastern followed by Adult Swim at midnight. Toonami is basically the high school programming, where Adult Swim is stupid college and frat humor, thus Robot Chicken, Tom&Eric, Boondocks, etc.

other Sentai titles for Toonami?

Hidamari Sketch
Sepcial A
Rozen Maiden
Allison & Lilla
Angel Beats
Broken Blade
Croisse in a Labyrinth
Five Numbers
Gintama (REALLY is perfect for Toonami)
Guin Saga

anything close to DBZ in story or visual depictions, but no T&A…i think Sailor Moon with the nude transforms probably pushed MUCH more than sny amount of violence.

You expect Cartoon Network to show graphic depictions of more realistic violence and sex to kids?! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This is America, the land of prudes!

A DBZ energy blast which most often just blows off clothes to show off the male torso is nothing compared to Golgo 13 shooting someone through the head or executing the defenseless. All on screen, all graphic, and with no fantastical absurdity (ie:energy beams) to distance it from reality and dumb it down. Death is a final and brutal state in Golgo 13; in DBZ it is just a glossed-over transition. How many times did main characters get wished back to life via the Dragon Balls? Exactly.

Golgo 13 also gets rather graphically laid.

Golgo 13 is in all ways more graphically extreme than Cowboy Bebop. It’s also a much better show, but that’s besides the point.

I have my Golgo 13 dvds right here. They’re rated TV-MA. Toonami censored Outlaw Star for some minor fanservice and obscured nudity. It couldn’t handle Golgo 13.

At its prime, Toonami was a late afternoon/early evening programming block that introduced respectable cartoons to children. That’s what it was marketed for, that’s what we remember it for, and that’s what it will have to be again to have any point. My point is that Golgo 13 can’t be shown to children, which defeats the point of the programming block.

again you are missing what CN started out as… it wasnt about kids, because Scooby Doo was rated PG-13, now i think its TV-PG…

Miguzi became the TV-Y7,G block in the afternoons for younger audiences while Toonami moved to a later time when younger kids should be in bed…

Toonami aired Naussica and Mononoke. Mononoke has more blood than ANY Naruto episode, and Naruto Shippuden, unedited, appeared on DISNEY with the blood intact.

So far in 3 episodes i dont see a thing that would make Golgo TV-MA, unless he is nude in a later episode, or there is language. but then nobody that i knows understand those stupid ratings anyway other than heavy handed Christian views.

Kangaroo Jack (live action not the sequel) aired on CN and it is MUCH more offensive than some cartoon violence. Hazing/bullying, attempted murder, etc is ok for CN, but cartoon violence isnt?

Maybe Ted Turner had them trim too much of his mustache off, and it caused some of the few remaining brain cells to fall out…(like Donald’s hair did all together…)

Cartoon Network started in 1992. Scooby Doo was started in 1969, and was designed to be marketed to children. The TV parental advisory ratings were created in 1996, therefore it had no rating when it debuted. This is all on Wikipedia. What are you talking about here?

Toonami moved to a later timeslot, and that is where it died. The Toonami that the world remembers was marketed for children and aired every weekday in the early evening. A once-a-week “more mature” Toonami is worthless.

During the AS prank, TOM says, referring to DBZ, “If you say you saw it before Toonami, you’re lying”. He’s not referring to the once-a-week late night Toonami, but rather Toonami as it was for the majority of its run, the Toonami that should be brought back, if it comes back at all.

It doesn’t matter if you think it is TV-MA or not. It is, and that’s why it barely has a chance of being shown by CN. You’re also arguing about something of which you are almost entirely ignorant (you haven’t seen all of Golgo 13), and you’re being a bigoted moron.

[quote=celestial_being]

[quote=shadzar]

[quote=celestial_being]

[quote=shadzar]

[quote=“celestial_being”]

[quote=shadzar]
again you are missing what CN started out as… it wasnt about kids, because Scooby Doo was rated PG-13, now i think its TV-PG…[/quote]

Cartoon Network started in 1992. Scooby Doo was started in 1969, and was designed to be marketed to children. The TV parental advisory ratings were created in 1996, therefore it had no rating when it debuted. This is all on Wikipedia. What are you talking about here?[quote]

Miguzi became the TV-Y7,G block in the afternoons for younger audiences while Toonami moved to a later time when younger kids should be in bed…[/quote]

Toonami moved to a later timeslot, and that is where it died. The Toonami that the world remembers was marketed for children and aired every weekday in the early evening. A once-a-week “more mature” Toonami is worthless.

During the AS prank, TOM says, referring to DBZ, “If you say you saw it before Toonami, you’re lying”. He’s not referring to the once-a-week late night Toonami, but rather Toonami as it was for the majority of its run, the Toonami that should be brought back, if it comes back at all.[/quote]

So far in 3 episodes i dont see a thing that would make Golgo TV-MA, unless he is nude in a later episode, or there is language. but then nobody that i knows understand those stupid ratings anyway other than heavy handed Christian views.[/quote]

It doesn’t matter if you think it is TV-MA or not. It is, and that’s why it barely has a chance of being shown by CN. You’re also arguing about something of which you are almost entirely ignorant (you haven’t seen all of Golgo 13), and you’re being a bigoted moron.[/quote]
If you want this thread locked, you’re certainly going about it correctly.

There’s no need for name calling. At all, ever. Let’s leave the religious talk out of it also.

Now, everyone take a step back and take a few deep breaths.

Golgo-13 IS rated TV-MA for Language, Sexual Situations and Violence. That’s a fact.

I don’t know nor care if it’s shown on Toonami (if it comes back). But you two need to bury the hatchet and get along.

A couple hours ago…

[adult swim] Twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/adultswim/status/187653853339074560

[quote][adult swim]‏

#BringBackToonami We’ve heard you. Thank you for your passion and interest - stay tuned.[/quote]