When They Cry / Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

When They Cry / Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller
Themes: conspiracy, death, gore, moe, revenge, tragedy
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: On one hot summer day in 1983, a transfer student named Maebara Keiichi comes to a peaceful rural village in Hinamizawa. There, he befriends his classmates Rena, Mion, Rika, and Satoko. Accepted as a full-fledged member of the “club,” Keiichi and the gang plays all sorts of activities ranging from card and board games to hide-and-seek. But just as Keiichi was beginning to be assimilated in simple rural life, he stumbles upon the dark history of Hinamizawa. As Keiichi dives deeper into the mystery, he finds that his new found friends may not be all what they claim to be.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 2006-04-04 to 2006-09-26

ANN Info Page

When They Cry II: Solutions / Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller
Themes: conspiracy, death, goddesses, harem, revenge, time travel, tragedy
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: The endless cycle of hatred and death that befell the small village of Hinamizawa continues. Rika Furude, who is the sole witness of all those tragedies, tries to find a way out of it with her friends’ help, without knowing if there is one after all.
Number of episodes: 24
Vintage: 2007-07-05 to 2007-12-17

ANN Info Page

Higurashi: When They Cry -NEW-

Plot Summary: Keiichi Maebara has transferred from the city to the village of Hinamizawa that lies deep in the wilderness. The village was spared from a plan to build a dam that would have sunk it under a lake, and it is now surrounded by nature and following its ancient customs. Keiichi makes new friends there and lives an ordinary life. But once a year, Hinamizawa village celebrates its festival, Watanagashi, and with it Keiichi’s calm days are over, and a chain of unending tragedy begins
Number of Episodes: 24
Vintage: 2020-10-01

ANN Info Page

Higurashi: When They Cry – SOTSU

0000-10364924

Vintage: 2021-07-01
Opening Theme: “Analogy” by Ayane
Ending Theme: “Missing Promise” by Konomi Suzuki

Plot Summary: Following the revelation of the key players behind the recent string of tragedies, Keiichi, Rena, Mion, Shion, and Rika will have to unravel the horrific events and take on a force greater than any they’ve ever faced before. (from ANN)

ANN Info Page

Higurashi no Naku Koroni Gaiden Nekogoroshi-hen (OAV) Vintage: 2007-08-02
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (OAV) Vintage: 2009-02-25 to 2009-08-21
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira (OAV) Vintage: 2011-07-21

(The word “cry” in the title has double meaning on both Japanese and English; it can refer to the sound an animal makes, or the action of a person experiencing negative emotions. Also, the red “C” and “Na” are officially part of the title.)

The anime is based on a series of murder-mystery games for PC, Playstation 2, and Nintendo DS.

In the Higurashi games, there are several story arcs, the original eight of which are referred to as either question arcs or answer arcs. The answer arcs generally recapitulate the events of the corresponding question arc, but from a different perspective, using the change of protagonist to solve various mysteries and come to a different conclusion. Each of the eight original games for the PC represented separate arcs of the overall storyline. Apart from the main question/answer relationship, the stories of the arcs are not directly connected, although a multitude of parallels exist which allow the observant reader to gain extra insight into the mystery.

So, would this mean that there is no actual connection between the anime chapters? They are just separate stories, which you wouldn’t actually need to view in any particular order aside from the 4 episodes of the chapters?

Mostly correct. Watching them in order gives the viewer deeper meaning into the later chapters, but previous chapters are not required to view each group of episodes.

Ok, thanks, that’s what I was looking for. Watched the first 8 episodes just hoping something would happen that ties it all together, but looks like it wasn’t gonna happen. Lol. Saved me another 2 hours of watching something just to see it tie together.

From my understanding of the series, you could view each set of episodes (or arc) as individual, stand-alone stories–however, you can draw themes between each world which, when pieced together, make the story behind the series a bit more coherent. So watching them all will clue you in on what’s going on.

That said, the show is highly entertaining for those who enjoy macabre anime.

Season 2, also known as Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, serves as an answer arc, and sheds light on the mysteries behind the events of the first season. I watched the first episode, but I did not enjoy it nearly as much. What drew me in to this series was the mystery of why such a (seemingly) peaceful town could have such heinous characters. The first episode of season 2 was just boring, but that doesn’t necessarily speak for the rest of the season.

Also, I’m moving this to Other Anime for obvious reasons. :stuck_out_tongue:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, including Kai and Rei, is my favorite anime of all time. :3
It was the original show that got me into anime, and continues to be one close to me the more shows I watch. I’m a big fan of it and would like to see the rest of the series over here sometime in the near future. :3

Well… I wouldn’t say so. Like any other series, I think it would be best to watch all of them in order, especially considering it gets closer to the “last day” each time. An elaboration of this is: Each arc tackles things that happen closer and closer to the day Takano puts her plan into play, progressively as the show goes on. Additionally, the last arc of Ni (the first season), must be watched after at least the first one, since it covers how Keiichi kills Rena and Mion. And don’t forget about the Time Wasting chapter, which cannot be viewed in the proper setting unless you have seen the previous chapters and understand what “might” have happened and how it applies to Akasaka. :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t like macabre anime at all. I try to avoid it if anything. But I still love this show. :stuck_out_tongue:

Funimation’s Higurashi, Familiar of Zero Licenses Expire

posted on 2011-06-11 14:45 EDT
No plans to renew or license sequel series

I made a mention to certain spectral beings about this saying they’d both be great series if gotten cheap enough if for nothing else filler for the Anime Network.

Meh, I guess it could happen, TAN getting them for their VOD/OP. Maybe as part of some sort of package deal for something bigger and worthwhile; who’s the Japanese licensor again?

If you didn’t already see me, I was one of the members on those forums that got the news first. I really do hope that Sentai get’s it, since it is my favorite show. :slight_smile:
I couldn’t really care too much about whether it’s dubbed or not, but that’s just me.

Studio Deen is the current holder of the license, if I am not mistaken.

Studio Deen is usually just an animation house. I can’t think of many shows off hanf that they actually oversaw the licenses too, let alone handled international licensing. But ANN’s entry on the show doesn’t list the production comittee names, just the various animation producers that worked on it.

Not sure about the first Higurashi since it didn’t pop up on the DVD Ranking, but if it’s the same as both Kai & Rei, it was released by Frontier Works.

Since this is the Higurashi thread, I would just like to say that the first episode of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira, the new OVA of the series, had it’s first episode released not too long ago. :3
Here’s one of the trailers so far:

Though I do know quite a few people who are angry at the sudden turn for the completely happy and cute theme of the new OVA, but that’s just the sort of thing I love. <3
The Higurashi wiki (because I didn’t find any other source) says it came out on July 21st, and that the rest of them will be out on the 22nd of September, the 23rd of November, and the 25th of January. :slight_smile:
http://whentheycry.wikia.com/wiki/Higurashi_no_Nak_Koro_ni_Kira

My take on the first episode:

spoiler

It sure did have quite a bit of ecchi, but I laughed a lot, and overall enjoyed the episode. (Especially the last five or six minutes :laugh: ) Though I didn’t much like all of the odd punishment games, it was all in good jest, since you find out it’s a dream/delusion the whole time. :stuck_out_tongue: Not to mention the OVA has nothing to do with the original story. (And some people are mad about that. :huh: )

HIGURASHI NO NAKU KORO NI KAI

December 23, 2011

HIGURASHI NO NAKU KORO NI KAI

Oh yes, you’ve been demanding and here we are to provide! The sequel to When They Cry, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai provides the answers to all those questions that we were all left wondering after the end of the startling and chilling first series.

For those unfamiliar, When They Cry is based on a visual novel. It’s June 1983 in the rural village Hinamizawa. A curse appears to plague the Watanagashi Festival: every year for the past four years someone is killed and another goes missing. This year is particularly special as the characters are unknowingly forced to relive this time, again and again. It’s a twisted blend of cute and funny with a dash of brutal violence here and there and the answers to the town’s constant time loop is thrillingly revealed.

Never before released outside of Japan, this is an anime title exclusive to Siren Visual. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai is comprised of 24 episodes which shall be split into two parts. Part 1 will hit stores in March with pre-orders available after the New Year. Part 2 will follow shortly afterwards.

Due to the complicated release history of When They Cry, the second season will not contain an English dub. This is also part of the reason why the second series is sticking to its Romanised Japanese title, but when learning the answers to the mysteries of Hinamizawa we say it’s a fair trade off!

I… I’m speechless… no, I’m yelling everywhere I can that it’s actually happening, but… I’m not sure what to say. I’ve been waiting for this for such a long time, and I’ve been dreaming of it coming out, but… All I can really say is that…

I LOVE YOU SIREN VISUAL

Is what I said until I read this:

There is still more fighting to go, isn’t there? :frowning: Oh well, since it’s getting a release there, that might help coerce them into releasing it here. :unsure:

If any of these series a certain company initial said during conventions were selling good at retail only to change their minds when the opportunity to renew and get the sequels came up get licensed I see it as Sentai Filmworks being the one to do so.

I’d honestly rather have more Zero no Tsukaima and Nanoha , or Card Captor Sakura re-licensed here first though.

I’d really rather see Dunbine relicensed, but I know I’d stand a better chance of seeing pigs fly before that happens .

For you, Pup:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7162/flyingpigsd.jpg

Agreed on all counts. It would be interesting if Sentai did go for it. It could be the first title that both they and Siren released sub-only.

Ryukishi07’s Higurashi Outbreak Short Story Gets Anime

posted on 2012-12-15 10:30 EST
Higruashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku follows virus outbreak in village

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Anime to Resume

posted on 2012-12-15 08:26 EST

Very interesting; exciting, but interesting. :3 Personally I like how the series ended off “officially”, but I welcome this new addition to the series, provided it doesn’t fall on a few nails like the majority of Kira (though I guess in all consideration, it was good as a “nothing to do with the story” OVA). :silly:

I hope this news will help prompt Sentai to again consider picking Higurashi up and releasing it over here. :cheer:

YAY!!! ^ω^ More Higurashi!!!
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86/Iron_Tager/th059icon.gif