Witchblade

Witchblade

Genres: action, drama, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: ecchi, post-apocalyptic, superhero
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: In 22nd-Century Japan, Masane Amaha, one of the surviving catastrophe that destroyed Tokyo becomes the latest in an ancient line of women-only warriors to wield the mysterious sentient weapon known only throughout history as “the Witchblade”. Protecting her little girl, she will face her worst fear …
Number of Episodes: 24
Vintage: 2006-04-06 to 2006-09-21

ANN Info Page

1 Like

Witchblade will start airing on IFC Monday, January 18 at 11pm ET/10pm CT.

I’m kind of upset they stopped putting their anime on VOD. I rarely watch their channel at the times they play anime, and would rather see the stuff on VOD later on, when I’m free. Ever since they got rid of that, I stopped watching their anime sadly :frowning: .

I would like to finish this show though, I only watched up to the halfway point, and it was quick good. Much better then I thought it would be. Although this isn’t something I’d want to buy.

I’m a fan of the original U.S. Witchblade comic series this was based on, and despite being given the anime treatment, the story really is in keeping with the series (at least in tone). Yes, they upped the fanservice level considerably, but it is ultimately about the characters. This was one of my favs of the year it was released in…
:cheer:

Yeah that’s my favorite part of the show, the fact that it focuses on the characters, rather then the action. I really like that part of the show.

I think this show is on Monday, not tonight.

[quote=shadycat]
I think this show is on Monday, not tonight.[/quote]

yes, you’re right. Thanks

In an odd twist when Witchblade aired in Japan it was censored by covering up some of the exposed skin. IFC showed it completely uncut.

I’ve been curious about this show for a long time. Most opinions stop at “fanservice means it sucks” so I haven’t been inclined to believe them. Good to hear some fresh opinions.

Its a nice series and worth seeing. I really like the relationship between the mother and daughter.

Does anyone know what has happened with Witchblade on IFC? All of a sudden it’s no longer on the schedule.

[quote=Newshawk]
Does anyone know what has happened with Witchblade on IFC? All of a sudden it’s no longer on the schedule.[/quote]

Sorry it took me so long to answer…

It looks like they dropped it for now. Don’t know why. Looks like they’re much more interested in ‘Arrested Development’ and ‘Monty Python’ right now.

[quote=Slowhand]

[quote=Newshawk]
Does anyone know what has happened with Witchblade on IFC? All of a sudden it’s no longer on the schedule.[/quote]

Sorry it took me so long to answer…

It looks like they dropped it for now. Don’t know why. Looks like they’re much more interested in ‘Arrested Development’ and ‘Monty Python’ right now.[/quote]

Contract might have expired.

This is probably the last mainstream-ish Gonzo title I enjoyed. Sure it’s got a ton of T&A fanservice, but I found it to be an entertaining watch and a very good dub. Great first watch, very low on replay value though.

DVR Alert!

Witchblade will begin running on IFC starting Thursday, June 17, at 2:30am ET/1:30am CT.

It will be running in that time slot through the middle of July (which is all the further I can see right now) up to episode 23.

The anime is impressive. But the live action series and books are better,

[quote=Slowhand]
DVR Alert!

Witchblade will begin running on IFC starting Thursday, June 17, at 2:30am ET/1:30am CT.

It will be running in that time slot through the middle of July (which is all the further I can see right now) up to episode 23.[/quote]

Unless IFC bails out again, they should complete the Witchblade series and then continue on with Speed Grapher.

[quote=Newshawk]
Unless IFC bails out again, they should complete the Witchblade series and then continue on with Speed Grapher.[/quote]

Both these series are also streaming on Hulu. I think they are showing Speed Grapher dubbed and Witchblade subbed.

FUNi started adding the dub to their online player again for those that have missed watching it.
Ep. 05, 06, 07 were added today.

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=105

Art For 10th Anniversary “Witchblade” Anime Blu-ray Previewed

January 09, 2017 10:45am CST
In late 2016, the 10th was celebrated with the announcement of plans for a Blu-ray release of Gonzo’s April-September 2006 adaptation of the like-named American comic.