Wow. This board is taking me back

Hello all! My name is Jane and I just joined this site. Writing on a board like this is totally taking me back to when I was in middle school, used a dial-up internet connection (can’t be on-line too long! you’ll be blocking in-coming phone calls) and I wrote on AOL anime boards. Anyone else on here remember those days? When downloading even a single anime image took ten minutes… but it was WORTH it! haha : )

Anyhow, just a bit about me in case you don’t want to view my profile: I’m a week away from my 22nd birthday, live in the Boston, MA area and recently went to Anime Boston with a friend from work. I really had not watched anime for years but attending this convention (especially sitting in on a panel entitled “Sailor Moon Forever”) totally got my nerdy juices flowing once more!

I’ve been out of the fandom loop for awhile now so I would love any suggestions on movies and/or series you think I should see!

Thanks for the guidance and if you want to chat further I’d love to meet some more people on this site so feel free to send an introduction and friend me.

<3 xoxo
Jane :kiss:

Welcome. Glad to have you join our forum. We need to catch you up.

My recommendations

Lucky Star
Gurren Lagann
Neon Genesis Evangellion
Cowboy Bebop

FLCL (known in North America as “Fooly Cooly”)

Hello Jane, welcome to AN! I too remember the days of dial-up, back when a site loading time of three minutes was normal. Man, dark ages. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re interested in watching some AN shows, http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,4/func,showcat/. Check around there to see what people are saying.

Personally, a favorite of mine has been and always will be Excel Saga. It’s a show that parodies a slew of different anime genres in each episode. It gets more serious during the final two episodes, but an incredibly funny show nonetheless. :smiley:

The big new lately is alot of Anime is back being subbed instead of dubbed.
Would you watch a sub?

Clannad (now dub)
Clannad 2 is still a sub is better than the orginal series, need to see Clannad first.
Kannon (dub) Not sure on availability (if you find it could be cheap)
Nanaka 6/17 (dub)(About a girl who thinks she is Magical Girl)

These are more mysical slice of life type show.

If your realy into magical girl, which Sailor Moon falls under.

For Maical girls:

Shana no Shakugan(dub)
Pretear (dub) (This is fairly close to Sailor Moon)
Negumi! (dub)
My Hime and My Otame (Both dub)

There are a few other that I could suggest, either more comedy or kidsy.

Pretty much my wife watched all of the above.

Welcome to the world of tomorrow…today!!!
Ahh…dial-up. Those were the days. Though I never had the problem with blocking incoming calls, I had two lines. Yup, that’s right two. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for suggestions for movies/tv series:

Paprika
Shingurui Death Frenzy
Noir
Evangelion
Ghost Hound (any Masamune Shirow show/manga)
Samurai Champloo
Divergence Eve/Misaki Chronicles
Ghost Stories
Elfen Lied

etc…etc…

Hey Jane. Welcome to the forums. Happy Birthday in advance, and I recommend:
Gantz(mature/Sci-Fi)
Azumanga Daioh(Slice of Life/Comedy/All Ages)
Spirited Away (movie/Fantasy/Just a Beautiful Story)
Kino’s Journey (Fantasy/Adventure)

Again, welcome and I hope to see you on often!
Slick

Welcome to TAN and hope you post often. As for recommendations I would suggest “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.” It’s about crazy adventures in high school. They will be dubbing the second season soon.

Second these recommendations.
Azumanga Daioh
Clannad
Clannad After Story
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Ghost Stories
Kannon
Kino’s Journey
Lucky Star
Nanaka 6/17
Noir
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Samurai Champloo
Spirited Away

Welcome as well! Be sure to check out what TAN has online as well. Several of the ones already mentioned are there. But if you are not sure on one, I will check it out first. If I get killed, you know its a trap. Wait a sec…

Welcome to you! :slight_smile:

You’ve already got a lot of great suggestions here, so I’ll just add Ichiban Ushiro no Daimao that is currently showing on the player here. It’s a great show for laughs so far!

If you have any questions on anything, just ask. Someone will always be happy to help you.

Hello! Great to have you here. There’s plenty of shows to choose from, pretty much whatever you fancy. Check out the online player.

Welcome to the forums! I just turned 21 yesterday myself, and recovered for the better half of today. ><

Oh god I remember dial up, trying to watch videos on newgrounds, when a video could take an hour to load up! I remember when I played FFXI on dial up, had to walk to my friend’s house to download the updates because SE wouldn’t let you download them on dial up.

Hmmm, most people have recommended a lot of what I’d already recommend. So here’s my two cents.
Full Metal Panic! Good series dubbed by ADV/TAN/whatever they call themselves now.
One Piece. This is quite a bit longer, for instance I’m at around episode 300 right now, and there’s still a lot more to go! But one of the best long series I’ve ever seen.