K-On! / K-On! the Movie

K-ON! (Season 1)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: iyashikei, moe, music, school, school life
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: It’s Yui Hirasawa’s first year in high school, and she’s eagerly searching for a club to join. At the same time, Ritsu Tainaka, a drummer, and her friend Mio Akiyama, a bassist, are desperately trying to save the school’s light music club, which is about to be disbanded due to lack of members. They manage to recruit Tsumugi Kotobuki to play the keyboard, meaning they only need one more member to get the club running again. Yui joins, thinking it will be an easy experience for her to play the castanets, the only instrument she knows. However, the other members think their new addition is actually a guitar prodigy…
Number of episodes: 14
Vintage: 2009-04-02 to 2009-06-25

ANN Info Page

K-ON! Season 2

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: iyashikei, Moe, music, school, school life
Objectionable content: None
Plot Summary: It’s the final year of high school for Yui Hirasawa (guitar), Ritsu Tainaka (drums), Mio Akiyama (bass), and Tsumugi Kotobuki (keyboard); the founding members of the Light Music Club. Together with their junior member Azusa Nakano (guitar), they spend their days after school in the music room enjoying tea and sweets, and practicing music. Amidst band practice, preparations for the new student orientation performance, scouting for new members, and student responsibilities they still have time for “After School Tea Time”.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 2010-04-06

ANN Info Page

Sentai Press Release for Season 2

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES K-ON! SEASON 2
HOUSTON, February 20, 2012— Sentai Filmworks is delighted to announce the licensing of K-ON! Season 2, the continuing exploits of the Light Music Club of Sakuragaoka Girl’s High. The creative staff from K-ON! returns for another 26 episodes plus an OVA of a rocking good time, featuring character designs by Yukiko Horiguchi (Lucky Star) and music by Hajime Hyakkoku (Ichigo 100%). On top of their proven performance, Sentai Filmworks’ release will feature an electric dub by Bang Zoom! Entertainment.

For two full years, Yui, Mio, Ritsu and Tsumugi have worked together to keep Sakuragaoka Girl’s High School’s struggling Light Music Club alive, and along the way they’ve begun to build a reputation as real rock musicians, especially since the previous year’s addition of underclassman rhythm guitarist Azusa!! But as a new school year begins, there are new and scary challenges ahead. With four fifths of the club graduating at the end of the year, replacement members have to be recruited. There are college exams to prepare for. There are colleges to choose. And there are friends to prepare to say goodbye to. But no matter what happens, they’ll have their faculty adviser and secret former Death Metal guitar/vocalist Sawako Yamada there to help them in her own unusual way, especially since she’s now their homeroom teacher as well!! And most of all, they’ll have each other. Because the group of amateur musicians who barely knew each other has become much more than just a band, and by the time this school year is over, they’re going to achieve something so amazing it requires multiple exclamation marks!! Get ready to be blown away as the girls from K-ON! rock on!!

K-ON! Season 2 will be available on DVD & BD later this year.

K-ON! (movie) Vintage: 2010-12-18

Anyone else following this series at all? I’m enjoying it a lot so far. It’s sort of like Lucky Star with music and being less pure moe.

Mugi is awesome.
Mio’s hot.
Yui’s adorable
Ritsu… Is silly.

Oh, and keep in mind, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO TALK ABOUT, ASK FOR OR SUGGEST/LINK TO SUB GROUPS. Let’s keep it to just the discussion of the anime, kthx.

1 Like

I’ve seen the first two eps. Honestly, I’m waiting for the widescreen release.
F**k 4:3. <.<

Decent enough show for a MOEBLOB anime. However, I made the mistake of falling for the hype it was getting before it began airing and so it was a bit of a let down for me. =

Mugi is probably my favorite though. DEM EYEBROWS. Something about them…

1 Like

It gets better past the first 2 eps.

And I never got caught in the pre-hype. I just googled for a list of the seasons titles and it caught my eye, so I checked it out and <3 it.

1 Like

Mio wins at life.

1 Like

I’ll check it out if it’s less “moe” than Lucky Star, though if I’m disappointed, I’ll be sure to notify you.

1 Like

So I’ve been wondering for a while… How the f**k can Mio afford AKG K701s?

1 Like

Mugi-chan, she’s rich has the yuri goggles.

1 Like

Maybe she smiled nice at the clerk and got a discount. Or got a boy to buy them for her. Or her parents gave them to her as a gift. Who knows, ask the writers.

1 Like

in addition, they’re already talking season 2…

1 Like

Wouldn’t be surprised.

Though, in all honesty, I’m rather happy with how season 1 ended. I wasn’t sure exactly how they could end the series so early, but they did a mildly OK job at it.

1 Like

< video has been removed >

Anime News Network

Buy from www.Rightstuf.com

K-ON!, Vol.1 (DVD) - 100 minutes - $29.98 - 4/26/11

K-ON!, Vol.1 (Blu-ray) - 100 minutes - $34.98 - 4/26/11

Special Features - Interview with Stephanie Sheh (Voice of Yui Hirasawa)

1 Like

Normally I have no problems with dubs. The voices in the trailer are just not completely working for me. That may change after I see a full episode.

1 Like

If they’re going to leave all of their songs in Japanese, and not dub them, then they have to (or they should) make their english voices as similar to the japanese voices as they can… They seem similar, But still I can’t make judgments based on a trailer so I would have to see a full episode.

1 Like

K-On! Film Scheduled for December 3

posted on 2011-02-20 03:37 EST

1 Like

I finished watching volume 1 the other night and I have to say I’m a little disappointed. First of all, I just didn’t enjoy the first couple episodes as much as I had hoped.

Secondly, Bandai really put out a subpar product here. First, there was the lossy audio issue, despite the fact that other countries have received LPCM audio on their bluray releases. Also, there were some encoding issues with the disc, which cause some playback issues on PC’s and certain players. Something in the encode also disables mouse use on a PC. (I’m not even going to touch the singles release or the price points.) On the bright side, the bluray actually works with the scene skip buttons on my PS3, something that doesn’t always work on many releases.

Finally, I have to say I’m extremely disappointed with the dub. While most of the leads were quite good and well suited to their characters (despite sounding a bit older than they should), Stephanie Sheh as Yui was a very questionable decision. I normally enjoy her work and her performance here was quite good, but she just wasn’t suited to her character. Her voice seems out of sync with the character to me and it was enough to distract me at times.

Anyway, while I didn’t enjoy the show as much as I hoped, I still liked it. The audio is pretty poor, the video is quite good and luckily my Harmon receiver does a pretty good job of improving sound. I will probably continue to pick up the singles, and already have the second one pre-ordered. It’s not a disastrous release, but it’s poor enough for me to wish that the original guys that were gunning for this had sealed the deal.

1 Like

Maybe the original guys just thought the licensing fee was too much for the type of show it is, too many restrictions on how to release it (singles, and what happened to the LE’s), and what have u.

Seriously, DVD quality audio on a BD? Lossy is fine and all, but they could have given it a higher Kbps.

sniff…sniff…I smell the aroma of licensor back driving.

1 Like

That may be the reason for the singles release, and possibly the reason the other company ultimately passed on it, and possibly part of the reason for the generic dub, but I doubt it had anything to do with the DVD audio (considering other regions didn’t have problem). I think it was just shoddy authoring, which, let’s face it, Bandai is well known for.

1 Like

So at this point it looks like Bandai should be renamed Sub-Par. Seriously I knew my decision to wait for a set after the original guys did not keep it and Bandai announced it was a good one. Bandai is a poor shell of the former company they once were. Sure I had more then a few problems before with them (most of my early Bandai releases won’t play in more then a few players) ,but their customer service was second only to Rightstuf. I remember I called once and asked about getting covers for the S-cry-ed release since the set design rather sucked. Had covers in the mail before the end of the week. Now it’s more along the lines of fill out the form and hope they do something. Plus the sending disc back thing has gotten old. If the problem is with all disc then just send people the disc like what NISA did.

I just hope they get the original Gundam & Turn A right.

Really disappointed to hear about K-on. Since I was looking forward to it and figured since it’s on Blu-ray they’d have less chances of messing something up. As you know not been a fan of whom Bandai gets to dub for them in quite some time. I find their casting and direction to come out rather flat and dull in color then years past. Did said company do the authoring on this like they did for the Haruhi Season 2 and the Haruhi-chan DVD’s?

1 Like

New K-On Hawaiian Shirts for Sale in Japan

posted on 2011-04-30 10:30 EDT

1 Like

Is any1 in Season 2… Where u meet some very few cool peeps!!!
:woohoo: :slight_smile: :laugh: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :cheer: B) :pinch: :lol: :silly: :side:

1 Like