Anime Network VOD Reports/Updates/Questions Thread (2009 Archive)

[size=16]Anime Network VOD Reports/Updates/Questions Thread (2009)[/size]

Before posting (newcomers), please look around the resources and the recent pages in this thread before complaining. In many cases your questions might be covered already.

Please read, learn and participate:

Links and Resources: (Check stuck threads at the top for the latest news and information)

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,5/func,view/id,36/
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/VOD-Schedule/
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,5/func,view/id,292/

Use this forum to discuss, submit questions/complaints/suggestions with other Anime Network viewers. The links above will provide most commonly asked questions regarding Anime Network services and properties.

I. We need your Zip Code and Cable/Satellite Provider to Help

When submitting reports of problems, it is important to provide us with information of your cable/network/VOD provider, and your ZipCode (this information is needed to track down the problem). (PM this to me if you want to keep the information private) and other information about the nature of the problem, as well as the specific anime/episode in question. Anime Network and your Cable/Satellite Provider can not help you without this information. Reports without this info can not be traced to the region where the problems happen.

II. Please contact your Cable/Satellite Provider with information on missing updates

It is equally important that you call and email your Cable/Satellite/Service provider along with posting in this thread, as most problems are usually the result of problems on their side or the VOD company they subcontract to update the content that Anime Network sends to them.

Viewers experiencing missing updates need to contact your cable provider.

If you do not report the problem then the systems do not seek to replace it after it fails for some reason. The more you call the more the cable provider will pay attention to making sure Anime Network is working properly.

When making a call to your provider, it is usually best to request to speak to the manager or the supervisor. Usually, regular customer service representatives can only take down your request, but have not much power beyond that.

Please make sure the Customer service agent you speak to understands that Anime Network has sent the episodes and there may be a local problem with either their network or full hard drives or some other technical problem that is preventing the delivery of the episodes (this depends on the circumstances which can be case specific).

You have to try to make them file the report or speak to the supervisor, understand the problem and not let them give you the run around of “we only post what we are sent to by the provider” (this is a stock response) so that it can be sent to their VOD department.

III. Missing Updates - Where are my updates?

Regarding VOD problems (missing updates), in most cases updates that are late usually stem from one or two issues:

IIIa.

VOD technology allows great convenience in that it allows viewers to watch a wide range of programming through your cable box without having to go out to rent or buy DVDs from many programming options, but it is a very complex technology. Your Cable or Satellite provider or their VOD subcontracting companies like (TVN, SeaChange, etc.) are responsible for granting you the user access to these updates. There are so many layers and handlers of the data, including subcontracting VOD companies that handle the infrastructure, storage, VOD file management for your Cable companies. This is normally why Cable companies usually have a hard time fixing or dealing with VOD.

A lot of the large cable providers have different regional operation centers that handle the VOD for certain regions. This complicates it because human error can happen, if someone from your area’s VOD department forgot to make the updates Anime Network sent them available or if your area’s VOD hard drives are full… they reject the updates Anime Network sends them.

Anime Network may be able to determine whether the updates were sent out or not, but after that point, the responsibility of the update will go to your Cable provider or the company that manages the content sent to them.

(This is why it’s important to let your cable provider’s customer service department know and take know of the issue and report it to their VOD department. See above information)

Reports submitted by the viewers will be looked over by Anime Network in the reports sent to them, and they will try to get your Cable/Satellite provider to fix it from this side – but there is only so much Anime Network can do to convince your Cable/Satellite provider without your help on fixing the issue.

IIIb.

Production delays can happen, Anime Network is dealing with 100s and 100s of episodes a month, multiplied by different cable and satellite providers. It’s a lot of data to work with. New Shows, have to wait for ADV to finish production on the new DVDs, this takes time sometimes 2-3 months per volume to complete. Anime Network can not encode new shows for you viewers if there’s nothing to encode. DVD Production is costly and time consuming, Anime Network has to follow the DVD Production timeline, when the masters are finished they can encode it from that for VOD.

IV. Why are the shows starting at episode 5 and why can’t I get the entire series of a show at once?

Anime Network always shows series from the beginning. (unless it’s a special circumstance) It’s a moving train of content, every week new shows and episodes are posted, eventually they start back at episode 1 or different shows at episode 1.

Most people think Video On Demand means every single episode available of every show. Unfortunately the technology and expense of doing this is not viable at this time and unrealistically high expectations are formed. VOD in general works pretty much like TV does, except the episodes are available usually for a month to be viewed anytime, then they are replaced, with weekly updates that are posted every Thursday (Some providers post it early on Wednesday afternoon/night). That’s how the cable providers operate VOD in general.

Cable companies place a limit on what the content providers, like Anime Network can provide. For SVOD carriers this is usually 30 hours of storage space a month. So Anime Network and other VOD providers have to work within those constraints. Billion dollar companies like MTV can make special deals to get extra space, but that is very expensive, and even some of them don’t get a lot of storage space… a few times I checked NBC and CBS barely had 5 hours of content on some cable providers.

For Free VOD carriers, they place a 10 hour content per month limitation on Anime Network.

Sure they can post all of RahXephon at a time, but what if that person doesn’t want RahXephon? They have to provide variety with different shows to satisfy different viewers needs. It’s hard to keep everyone happy. Someone might love RahXephon as I do, but someone might hate it and prefer This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, etc.

V. Why is buying ADV/Anime Network DVDs important?

It is the foundation of income and helps ADV and other Anime production and licensing studios to acquire new anime series for Anime Network.

If you like a show on Anime Network, please show your support and buy the legal ADV DVDs from respected retailers like Rightstuf.com (http://www.rightstuf.com) or DVDpacific.com (http://www.dvdpacific.com) or at your local Best Buy, Fry’s or Walmart, and other retailers – a lot of these shows are expensive to license and produce for English audiences. While VOD ad revenue does help a little to pay for some of this access, if you want new shows and new productions – DVD sales by far is the foundation that allows ADV and Anime Network to acquire new shows from Japan!

Without your financial support, it means less shows, and less services.

New policy required from you all in the future that are reporting problems:

When you report a problem or missing update, we need you to provide your Cable/Satellite or VOD provider for Anime Network (TAN) and also your Zip Code (City, State would also be helpful). This information is now necessary to help track down your problems with your Cable/Satellite/VOD provider.

For example:
Time Warner, 78702 (Austin, TX)
(Your Report)

If you do not provide us information we won’t be able to help you. I will not even bother following your problem up only to ask you to post the requested information we need … and we will ignore it because we get so many reports every week, it’s not my responsibility follow up with every single complaint on a very simple request. Please Help us, help you.

It is too time consuming for us to follow up every single complaint if you don’t give us proper information. Some people just come to post on the forum “We did not get Fumoffu”; they don’t even tell us which episode, which cable provider, or their location and don’t show up again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TWC Round Rock, TX 78681

Schedule for April 2, 2009:
King of Bandit Jing 13 - “The Masquerade Ball of ZaZa Part 3” <FINAL EPISODE>
Kiba 1 - “Wind of Destiny!” <FIRST EPISODE>
RahXephon 22 - "Mission Jupiter Annihilation !"
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars 23 - "Federation and League!"
Azumanga Daioh 11 - "Sakaki and Kagura!"
Clannad 5 - "The Scenery with a Carving!"
New Cutey Honey 1 - “An Angel Descends!” <FIRST EPISODE>
To Heart 13 - “Snowy Day!” <FINAL EPISODE>
Wedding Peach 24 - "Exciting School Festival!"
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie 2 6 - “Meemu Night Flight!”
<>

Schedule for April 9, 2009:
Kiba 2 - "A New World!"
RahXephon 23 - "Eternity From Here!"
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars 24 - "The Ones Which Are Here!"
DN Angel 4 - "In Between Light and Darkness!"
Princess Resurrection 5 - "Princess Blood relationship!"
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu 11 - "Uncontrollable Bluebird!"
Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful 1 - “Return of the Maid!”
<>

TWC Round Rock, TX 78681

Schedule for April 16, 2009:

GetBackers 1 - “The Initials are G & B!” <FIRST EPISODE>
Kiba 3 - "Those With Power!"
RahXephon 24 - "The Door to Tuning!"
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars 25 - "The Fake Awakens!"
Azumanga Daioh 12 - "Chiyo-chan’s Day!"
Clannad 6 - "The Older and Younger Sister’s Founder’s Festival!"
Wedding Peach 25 - "Exciting School Festival!"
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie 2 7 - “First Super Karaoke Competition!”
<>

And now a question:
Both Cyberteam in Akihabara and Ushio & Tora stopped at 8 episodes on March 26.

Ushio & Tora has 10 episodes total.
Cyberteam in Akihabara has 26 episodes total.
What’s the deal? :unsure:

Cablevision in Wall Township, New Jersey 07719

Currently still a lot missing from week to week updates. I will be providing what is currently avaible and is what missing. By the way glad boards seem to be working and hope an gets all working.

Currently on:
Blue Seed 17, 18, 21, 22
Burn Up Excess 01 and 03
Evangelion 15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22
Kiba 17, 18, 19, 20
Mazinkaisar 01 and 02
Neo Ranga 24-30, 34-36, 37 (Mislabed as 77), 38-42, 44-48
Orphen 2 15, 16, 17, 18, 21
Saiyuki 25, 26, 30, 31, 32
Best Student Council 15, 16, 17, 22
Clannad 04, 05, 06, 07
New Cutey Honey 01 and 02
Kino’s Journey 02, 05, 06
Ninja Nonsense 10, 11, 12
Nuku Nuku OVA 06
Princess Reurrection 06, 07, 09
Cromarite High School 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22
Happy Lesson OVA 01, 02, 03
Indian Summer 03
Mahoromantic Something More Beatiful 13, 14, OVA
Super Milk Chan Uncut 02

Missing:
Blue Seed 15, 16, 19, 20
Burn Up Excess 02
Evangelion 19 and 20
Mazinkaiser 03
Neo Ranga 31, 32, 43
Orpen 19, 20, 22
Saiyuki 27, 28, 29
Best Student Council 18, 19, 20, 21
Kino’s Journey 01, 03, 04
Princess Resurrection 08
Cromarite High Schook 19
Super Milk Chan Uncut 01

For the many frequenters of this thread and the VOD forum… First of all, welcome to the new forums. Newcomers please read the Forum Rules and the stuck threads – discussions on illegal anime content for example is not tolerated: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,5/func,view/id,77/

The forums are still a work in progress and there will be a lot of changes, both in aesthetics but also in terms of operations and management.

It’s a fresh start so, we’d like to ask that people step up and contribute more in our other offerings. This forum is not a place just to complain or report problems. It is an element of the forum, but only that… an element.

Please contribute by posting in Anime Network and ADV related threads for discussion of news, goings on and other developments.

In the last few weeks while the forums have been down there have been a lot of positive activities and acquisitions of new shows. Mega hits like Appleseed have been acquired by ADV and will be on Anime Network next month. Many new shows will also be premiering from Enoki Films including Gakuen Alice, Koi Koi 7, SuperGals, El Hazard and more. Check the Anime Network homepage, the threads in the VOD Services Forum/Announcement forum, my blog – http://advnation.blogspot.com (plug ;)) – for the latest.

There’s a lot of exciting developments going on for ADV and Anime Network and we’d like people to join the ride and help build a better community here.

We’ve made it easier in recent months by making an ADV/Anime Network Anime and Live Action related forum where you can discuss the shows you’re seeing on VOD: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,4/func,showcat/

Suddenlink, Wayne, WV 25570

No major problems with Suddenlink FVOD/SVOD while forums were down programming arrived on time.

Episodes currently available on DirecTV:[size=4]

code
2W | Azumanga Daioh. - - - - - - - 10, 11, 12+
2w | Clannad (subtitled) - - - - - 04, 05, 06+
3w | Cyberteam in Akihabara. - - - 08 (09 delayed)
4w | DN Angel. - - - - - - - - - - 04 (05 delayed)
2w | Full Metal Panic: FUMOFFU - - 11
– | Get Backers - - - - - - - - - 01+
1w | Kiba. - - - - - - - - - - - - 01, 02, 03+
… | King of Bandit Jing - - - - - 13 (finale)
– | Mahoromatic SMB - - - - - - - 01 (new)
2w | New Cutey Honey - - - - - - - 01
3w | Princess Resurrection (sub) - 04, 05
1w | RahXephon - - - - - - - - - - 21, 22, 23, 24+
1w | Shingu. - - - - - - - - - - - 23, 24, 25+
2W | To Heart. - - - - - - - - - - 12, 13 (finale)
2w | UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie S2 - 06, 07+
3w | Ushio & Tora. - - - - - - - - 08 (09 delayed)
2w | Wedding Peach - - - - - - - - 24, 25+
[/code][/size]

Hello BH, Indianapolis, IN 46205, I didnt get kiba episode 2 but I got everything else.

Good news most of the missing content from AN is up. The only ones that are not I think are ones that were schedule to go off as of this morning. I realized Orphen 2: Revenge 22 wasn’t scheduled as I thought. Sorry.

Previously missing now up:
Blue Seed 19, 20
Burn Up Excess 02
Evangelion 19 and 20
Mazinkaiser 03
Neo Ranga 31, 32, 43
Orpen 19, 20
Saiyuki 27, 28, 29
Best Student Council 18, 19, 20, 21
Kino’s Journey 01, 03, 04
Princess Resurrection 08
Cromarite High School 19
Super Milk Chan Uncut 01

Never showed up but figured they were scheduled to go off AN this morning if they had.
Blue Seed 15 and 16

Suddenlink, Cross Lanes WV 25313

I did not get any of the Free On Demand Updates from 4/16:
RahXephon ------------- 24
Clannad Subtitled ----- 6
UFO Princess Valkyrie - 7
Wedding Peach --------- 25
Azumanga Daioh -------- 12
GetBackers ------------ 1
Kiba ------------------ 3
Shingu ---------------- 25

zidanetribal2000 did you get all of those?
And non TAN related for zidanetribal2000 the IFC section Gunslinger Girl have you been getting updates mine stopped at episode 3 and episode 5 or 6 should be available now.

I have called suddenlink about those missing TAN updates and they should have something within the next day but if zidanetribal2000 has actually gotten all of those updates the problem is very localized possibly to the Charleston WV section of Suddenlink only.

Chater Glendale, CA 91205

[size=4]Update Received At 5pm[/size]

Looks like I received everything I was suppose to.
I also received everything from the previous weeks that the forum has been down, but I’m only going to post this weeks, unless someone needs the previous weeks.

[size=4]Received (April 23)[/size]

Kiba Ep. 21
Clannad Ep. 08
Princess Resurrection Ep. 10
Burn Up Excess Ep. 04
Kino’s Journey Ep. 07 & 08
Mazinkaisar Ep. 04
New Cutie Honey Ep. 03
Super Milk Chan Uncut Ep. 03
Orphen: The Revenge Ep. 22
Cromartie High School Ep. 23 & 24

[size=4]Did Not Receive (April 23)[/size]
-NA-

Norfolk, VA
Cox 23508

STOP UPDATING THE LIST AT SPORADIC TIME, I’VE LOST KIBA BECAUSE IT GOT UPDATED EARLY

Have received everything but Happy Lesson OVA 4 and 5

[size=4]04/23 additions, available until 05/20[/size]

DN Angel (05) Double Cooking
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (12) 5th Period’s Hot Spot (finale)
Kiba (04) The Wind’s Decision
Princess Resurrection (sub) (06) Princess Alliance
RahXephon (25) God’s Uncertain Music
Shingu (26) The War Record Continues (finale)

Episodes currently available on DirecTV:

code
2W | Azumanga Daioh. - - - - - - - 11, 12
2w | Clannad (subtitled) - - - - - 05, 06+
4w | Cyberteam in Akihabara. - - - (09 delayed)
4w | DN Angel. - - - - - - - - - - 04, 05+
2w | Full Metal Panic: FUMOFFU - - 11, 12+
– | Get Backers - - - - - - - - - 01+
1w | Kiba. - - - - - - - - - - - - 01, 02, 03, 04+
… | King of Bandit Jing - - - - - 13 (finale)
– | Mahoromatic SMB - - - - - - - 01 (new series)
2w | New Cutey Honey - - - - - - - 01 (new series)
3w | Princess Resurrection (sub) - 05, 06+
1w | RahXephon - - - - - - - - - - 22, 23, 24, 25+
1w | Shingu. - - - - - - - - - - - 23, 24, 25, 26+ (finale)
2W | To Heart. - - - - - - - - - - 13 (finale)
2w | UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie S2 - 06, 07
3w | Ushio & Tora. - - - - - - - - (09 delayed)
2w | Wedding Peach - - - - - - - - 24, 25
[/code]

Episodes that ought to be on FVOD:
Cyberteam in Akihabara (09) Hot Spring
Ushio & Tora (09) Insanity of the Wind (Part 1)
Full Metal Panic! (14-24) (skipped portion of Season 1)
King of Bandit Jing (OVA) Seventh Heaven
Mahoromatic: Summer Special (OVA)

mitamaking wrote:

How is that possible?

I am very happy to report that all of the content in this weeks update seems to have all come in this morning. A couple were a bit slow to come in but they are all in. Can’t complain since first week in a few weeks there isn’t anything missing. Boards are back, a bunch of new Anime coming to AN this summer, and no problems. Everything is right again. :slight_smile:

What’s new this week:
Blue Seed 23 and 24
Burn Up Excess 04
Evangelion 23 and 24
Kiba 21
Kino’s Journey 07 and 08
Mazinkaiser 04
Orphen Revenge 22
Saiyuki 33 and 34
Best Studnet Council 23 and 24
Clannad 08
New Cutey Honey 03
Princess Resurection 10
Cromarite High School 23 and 24
Super Milk Chan Uncut 03

TWC, Round Rock, TX 78681

Schedule for April 23, 2009:
Kiba 4 - "The Wind’s Resolve!"
RahXephon 25 - "God’s Uncertain Sound!"
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars 26 - “The War Record Continues!” <FINAL EPISODE>
DN Angel 5 - "Double Cooking!"
Princess Resurrection 6 - "Princess Alliance!"
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu 12 - “Fifth Period’s Hot Spot!” <FINAL EPISODE>
<>

I have only one comment on your request for a ZIP code for DirecTV On Demand use. The way I understand it, DOD is a national service so all ZIP codes are fed from the same set of servers. Therefore if (for example) I had a missing or mis-encoded program here in ZIP 74011, it would be the same for every ZIP code in the country. If this is correct, then what would be the point in giving a ZIP code for DirecTV On Demand?

[quote]joeinwap wrote:

Episodes that ought to be on FVOD:
Cyberteam in Akihabara (09) Hot Spring
Ushio & Tora (09) Insanity of the Wind (Part 1)
Full Metal Panic! (14-24) (skipped portion of Season 1)
King of Bandit Jing (OVA) Seventh Heaven
Mahoromatic: Summer Special (OVA)[/quote]

Traditionally Anime Network doesn’t air the OVA’s, those are usually reserved for DVDs – not all cases, but most.

King of Bandit Jing OVA is one of the lost licenses of last year’s mess. It won’t be on Anime Network.

Full Metal Panic issue was answered before, short story is they were supposed to be posted by the Cable/VOD service companies but it fell through the cracks and since then Anime Network has been looking into what caused it so that it won’t happen again. But there are new shows to be posted in the pipeline… production cycles takes months in advance. FMP is one of Anime Network’s most famous shows so it will likely be back in the future, for those who can’t wait though the DVDs are cheap.

I’ll ask about the Cyberteam and Ushio issue in this week’s report.

Newshawk wrote:

It’s a national service but the data is stored and/or housed regionally or at least certain servers serve it to different sections of the country. Updates don’t happen on a national level, that’s why Cable companies VOD with every content provider sometimes have missing updates in certain regions but not in others… ask Southern California Time Warner customers. :wink: This thread has another example of that very issue with the Suddenlink issue where 2 members who are not that far from each other are getting different updates.

The bottom line is when Anime Network contacts the cable providers, the Cable providers require this data or won’t look into the problem.

[color=#008000]April 23, 2009: TWC, 29925[/color]

[color=#0000FF]Received: All[/color]

[size=1][color=DarkRed]Action Zone[/color][/size]

[li][color=#0000FF]Kiba[/color] 04 - “The Wind’s Resolve”[/li][li][color=#0000FF]RahXephon[/color] 25 - “God’s Uncertain Music / Deus Ex Machina”[/li][li][color=#0000FF]Shingu[/color] 26 - “The War Record Continues” {[color=#FF0000]FINAL![/color]}[/li]

[size=1][color=hotpink]Girl Power[/color][/size]

[li][color=#0000FF]DN Angel[/color] 05 - “Double Cooking”[/li][li][color=#0000FF]Princess Resurrection[/color] {[color=DeepSkyBlue]subbed[/color]} 06 - “Princess Alliance”[/li]

[size=1][color=purple]Super Happy Funtime[/color][/size]

[li][color=#0000FF]Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU[/color] 12 - “5th Period’s Hot Spot!” {[color=#FF0000]FINAL![/color]}[/li]