Anime Network VOD Reports/Updates/Questions Thread (2022)

Updates Received/Not Received 7/21/22 :: Time Warner Cable :: Albany, NY :: Zip Code 12203

Once again, the long version will be shorter than

The short version:

I think I got everything I was supposed to get this week–and then some!–on Cutting Edge and On Demand (but of course it’s hard to when we still don’t have a posted schedule), EXCEPT that we got To Love Ru #5 instead of To Love Ru Darkness #5. [sigh] And they were doing so well…

A minor thing is that Sakamoto #2 was given its own separate tile on On Demand–I guess he’s so awesome one tile just wasn’t enough;

The “and then some” I received was second copies of Cardfighter #5, #6, #7, and #8, so now all of these are merged episodes. In all cases, the actual episode content is the same for each pair, so it’s not really a problem for the viewer. But for the sake of the bundling crew who might hypothetically (though I doubt actually) read this, I note the bungling, er, I mean bundling errors in the metadata that resulted in the system thinking these were all supposed to be separate episodes:

#5: the two episodes differ only in their runtimes, one given as 24 minutes and the other as 25 minutes, and the fact that the new one has its promo and Groaning Mecha;

#6: differ only in that the new one doubles the names of the cast and director in the blurb;

#7: doubles the names of the cast and director in the blurb, and the two episodes have different expiration dates–the new one has the right 8/18 date (so, to be fair, this probably wasn’t a bungle at all but a successful date fix);

#8: differ in that one has “New” in the blurb and the other does not; I don’t know if the two differ in their expiration dates;

#5, 6, & 7 are all separable by Ye Olde Kludge and Ye Hokey Pokey Kludge on Cutting Edge and Ye Newer Kludge on On Demand;

#8 is only separable via Ye Hokey Pokey Kludge on Cutting Edge and not on On Demand at all–which is why I don’t know if the two merged episodes have different expiration dates, since I can only access an episode’s expiration date by way of On Demand.

(At the Sentai Academy Sports Festival, they’re all too busy trying to figure out what “kludges” are and how to do them from where they are inside the episodes to fight; only Sakamoto #2, Chihayafuru #24, the new copy of Cardfighter #5 and the errant episode To Love Ru #5 have their promos and mechas.)

The long version:

Received:

Cardfight in a Dress 5b, 6b, 7b, 8b

Chihayafuru III 24

The Demon Girl Next Door 3

Heavens’ Memo Pad 5

Joshiraiku 5

Made in Abyss: Wandering Twilight

Natsu no Arashi! 13

Run with Wind #5

Sakamoto 2

Shikizakura 12

To Love Ru (First Season) 5

To Love Ru Darkness 6

Tsukipro 10

Utano 2000% 10

Missing in Action:

To Love Ru Darkness 5

Has Promo and Groaning Mecha:

Cardfighter 5

Chihayafuru 24

Sakamoto 2

To Love Ru 5

Missing Promo and Groaning Mecha:

Everything else

Arriving Unexpectedly:

To Love Ru 5

Lingering Beyond Their Expiration Date:

Chihayafuru III 16

Comments:

None

Persiflage:

Extra Credit: “One week. One teeny-weeny week.”
Clue #2: For one episode(i.e., for one week), the series’ main character has a teeny-weeny butler–but it was not that week, nor was it Herve Villechaize, nor does the butler say the line, since he never speaks.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Schedule for July 21, 2022:

Cardfight! Vanguard overDress 7 arrived early July 7
Chihayafuru Season 3 24 (FINAL EPISODE)
The Demon Girl Next Door 3
Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto 2
Heaven’s Memo Pad 5
Joshiraku 6
Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul
Natsu no Arashi! 13 (FINAL EPISODE)
Run with the Wind 4 arrived early July 14
Shikazakura 12 (FINAL EPISODE)
To Love Ru Darkness 6
Tsukipro - 10
Utano Prince Sama 2000% 11
(RECEIVED)

Missing for July 21
To Love Ru Darkness 5 (Plays Season 1, Ep 5)

Received for July 14:
Made in Abyss: Wandering Twilight

STILL MISSING: Not Received July 14
Made in Abyss: Journey’s Dawn

STILL MISSING: Not Received June 30
Chihayafuru Season 3 21 (plays Season 1, Ep 1)

Arrived Early (on July 7)
Cardfight! Vanguard overDress 8

Arrived Early (on July 21)
Run with the Wind 5

Title changes

• Heavens/Pad, Eps 1-2; Heavens Memo Pad, Eps 3-5
  • Run/Wind, Ep 1; Run With/Wind, Eps 2-5
  • Utano/Sama, Eps 1-8; Utano, Eps 9-11
3 Likes

Sorry, I’m stumped.

2 Likes

The report for last week & all follow-ups was compiled and sent to Anime Network today.

Also reported:

Spectrum

Titles & Category changes

Let me know if I’ve missed anything!

Thanks!! :+1:

Upcoming July 2022 FVOD anime

No more new anime this month.

Upcoming July 2022 SVOD anime

July 28 - Yuki Yuna is a Hero Season 2 - 12 eps
July 28 - Outburst Dreamer Boys - 11 eps

3 Likes

That’s okay, since I’ve prepared more clues–too many, in fact–and I’m itching to use them. (By this time you all know my insufferable vanity will NOT allow otherwise.) So here is

Clue #3: In another series, the actor who said the line was married to She Who Must Be Obeyed–but it wasn’t Ayesha and while he was occasionally haggard, it had nothing to do with H. Rider Haggard.

1 Like

How come Anime Network appears on Spectrum on-demand but I cannot access it from my provider? I live in Montana so I do not know why I cannot subscribe to it. There a way to even access this or the higher up on Anime Network to get the on-demand service available in Montana to subscribe to?

2 Likes

I can only tell you my experience with Anime Network on Spectrum.

I have a channel called “Cutting Edge” and The Anime Network is a part of that.

I know @Jababbi has two ways of getting to the channel, but I only have the one.

If you don’t have a Cutting Edge channel, maybe he can explain the other way to you.

2 Likes

Update to Updates Received/Not Received 7/21/22 :: Time Warner Cable :: Albany, NY :: Zip Code 12203

As of late last night, I received a second copy of Made in Abyss: Journey’s Dawn; it has the same expiration date but a different blurb, and unlike the first copy it has its promo and Groaning Mecha. This new copy exists only on Cutting Edge–it doesn’t seem to be connected to the On Demand side at all.

At the same time, “To Love Ru Dark. 05” (really the wrongly sent To Love Ru #5) and “To Love Ru Dark. 06” (= the correct To Love Ru Darkness #6) have disappeared.

La plus sa change

Oh! On the theory that the quicker I get through this, the less all of you have to suffer, I might as well hurry along to

Clue #4: As for the actor who plays the main character, he also had a movie role in which he played a ghost who dispensed sage advice to his descendants–but apparently not about fashion, since for generation after generation they’d been traipsing around the jungle wearing hooded purple longjohns…

Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome, @TheFerbguy!

While @Slowhand wrote,

I’m not sure how far I’ll get, but I’ll try–and since I’m notoriously bad at checking my email, I’ll do it here.

First things first,

Question #1: What color of the Spectrum are you?

Spectrum has bought a number of cable companies, and semi-converted them over–i.e., they plopped their stuff on top of whatever this or that company’s old system was. So, for example, Slowhand, goatboy and I all had Time Warner before it became Spectrum, so we share a common basic architecture, even though our individual service packages differ. If you look at the provider list, we’re Spectrum (formerly Time Warner). But there’s also Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse) and Spectrum (formerly Charter). They’d have a totally different underlying setup that Slowhand and I have never had access to or experience with, and I wouldn’t know how to begin to help you.

I did a little quick, down-and-dirty research on the recent history of cable company purchases in Montana, and it looks like you guys were bought by Charter in 2013 and have never been Time Warner at all. (In which case I would be useless to you. [sigh] No surprise there.) If that’s right, then maybe we can find someone here in the forums who is Spectrum (formerly Charter) who could give you some advice.

However, I suspect that the problem may be that you’re in an SVOD instead of an FVOD region–i.e., where you are, Anime Network is a premium service you pay extra for (but which gives you more series sooner than we lowly FVOD [Free Video On Demand] people get. You also get the entire series all at once for a month, instead of having the episodes doled out one at a time on a weekly rotating four-week schedule). In that case, it’s a matter of contacting your local Customer Service and signing up for it.

I hope that’s it, because otherwise there’s a good chance your local provider has simply decided they won’t carry Anime Network. (Perhaps some local guardian of morality caught a glimpse of To Love Ru, or decided that being exposed to heathen religions like Buddhism and Shintoism was too dangerous for children and adults…)

If I’m wrong, and you’re in a former Time Warner region, let me know, and we’ll proceed to Question #2. Otherwise,

Sorry!

3 Likes

Update to Update to Updates Received/Not Received 7/21/22 :: Time Warner Cable :: Albany, NY :: Zip Code 12203
and
Question about SVOD for @TheFerbguy

“They’re baaack…” To Love Ru Darkness #5 & 6 have returned, and it’s the right #5 & 6: Yay! (They’ve even got promos and Groaning Mechas.) Thanks, AN bundlers!

@Slowhand, about SVOD…I looked at the provider list and actually tried clicking on Spectrum (formerly Charter) (usually I just check Spectrum (formerly Time Warner), which has gone back to not working for months now). Lo and behold, it worked. Actually, except for the four FVOD providers, they all work. (You can see the difference in our status as FVOD versus SVOD right there, Ferbguy.)

So if @TheFerbguy is Spectrum (formerly Charter), it’s a good bet he is indeed SVOD. But, to go all Columbo on you as usual, “There’s just one more thing.” The only series listed under the working tiles for SVOD (except for Cox, which is a different kettle of fish) is WATAMOTE ~ No Matter How I Look At It, It’s You Guys’ Fault I’m Not Popular! Is that it? One measly series?? After telling Ferbguy about how much better SVOD was??? If so, then I owe Ferbguy one heck of an apology!

Are SVOD’s offerings really that skimpy? or is it just that we’re at the end of the month, and it replenishes come August? To switch to Peggy Lee, Slowhand, “Is that all there is?”

Lastly, since the universe obviously wants me to rush through this as well, here’s the fifth clue:

Clue #5: While the characters in the series did on occasion indulge in a bit of the bubbly, they never sang “Tiny Bubbles”, since most of the bubbles in the series were not tiny, and made no one feel fine.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Optimum For Wall Township, New Jersey 07719.
Received as of 7/28/22:
Outburst Dreamer Boys - 11 eps
Yuki Yuna is a Hero Season 2 - 12 eps

Missing as of 7/7/22:
Girls und Panzer das Finale, Part 1 (movie)

3 Likes

Updates Received/Not Received 7/28/22 :: Time Warner Cable :: Albany, NY :: Zip Code 12203

The short version:

No critical anomalies this time: it looks like I got everything I was supposed to get this week–and then one!–on Cutting Edge and On Demand, and everything starts up fine. This time the “and then one” is yet another copy Cardfighter #8. This one has the right expiration date, and seems to have replaced one of the old copies we had. So #8 is still a merger of two identical episodes (well, there may be three merged together, but even if that’s so I don’t know of a way to get at the hypothetical third episode). Since the viewer still gets to see #8 when they press "Play,’ I still think it doesn’t matter. But in case someone wants to check one copy against the other to make sure the story is true, you can now access both copies through Ye Olde Kludge or Ye Hokey-Pokey Kludge or Ye New Kludge, so knock yourself out . (Just don’t tell Wittgenstein.)

The other “nonomaly” is that Sakamoto #3 has replaced #2 in the separate secondary tile on On Demand, and #2 has moved into the first tile to bunk with #1. I think it has something to do with electron orbitals and the Pauli Shore Exclusion Principle…

The long version:

Received:

Cardfight in a Dress 8c

The Demon Girl Next Door 4

Heavens’ Memo Pad 6

Joshiraiku 6

Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul

Sakamoto 3

To Love Ru Darkness 7, 8

Tsukipro 11

Utano 2000% 11

Missing in Action:

None

Has Promo and Groaning Mecha: See Comments below

Missing Promo and Groaning Mecha: See Comments below

Arriving Unexpectedly:

Cardfighter 8c

Lingering Beyond Their Expiration Date:

None

Comments:

This week’s report from the Sentai High Sports Festival has been preempted by

Extra Credit: To recap, the phrase “one week, one teeny-weeny week” is actually borrowed from a pivotal episode of one of my most favorite and formative old TV shows. Can you identify it?

Here are all the clues so far:

Clue #1: The line was said by an actor wearing a very long scarf–but it was not Tom Baker, and the show was not Doctor Who .

Clue #2: For one episode(i.e., for one week), the series’ main character has a teeny-weeny butler–but it was not that week, nor was it Herve Villechaize, nor does the butler say the line, since he never speaks.

Clue #3: In another series, the actor who said the line was married to She Who Must Be Obeyed–but it wasn’t Ayesha and while he was occasionally haggard, it had nothing to do with H. Rider Haggard.

Clue #4: As for the actor who plays the main character, he also had a movie role in which he played a ghost who dispensed sage advice to his descendants–but apparently not about fashion, since for generation after generation they’d been traipsing around the jungle wearing hooded purple longjohns…

Clue #5: While the characters in the series did on occasion indulge in a bit of the bubbly, they never sang “Tiny Bubbles”, since most of the bubbles in the series were not tiny, and made no one feel fine.

And now the final clue,

Clue #6:

(No, I haven’t left anything out, or used masking or invisible ink. That’s it, and it’s a good clue.)

Answer and explanations, next week.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m going to attempt to answer Jababbi’s EC question, although I still cannot place the phrase:
I believe the series he is thinking about is Patrick McGoohan’s “The Prisoner”, a British series that was first shown in the US as a summer replacement in 1968.
Clues 1-3 refer to the actor Leo McKern, one of the gazillion people to play Number Two, but one of the few to play the character in more than one episode.
I presume clue 4 refers to McGoohan, but I am unaware of the movie in question.
Clue 5 refers to the large bubble used in the series to retrieve would-be escapees, and together with the above clues was the tip-off.
Clue 6 refers to McGoohan’s character’s name: “Number 6”. His real name is never disclosed.
QED
Edit: PS: Of course, since The Prisoner debuted fairly soon after McGoohan’s previous TV series “Danger Man” (titled “Secret Agent” in its US run), and the circumstances/premise of “The Prisoner”, lots of people figured The Prisoner’s name to be the earlier series’ main character, John Drake.

3 Likes

Bravo! Top marks, @thboyd29 !

Yes, the show was indeed The Prisoner, and the actor was indeed Leo McKern as Number Two. The episode was “Once Upon a Time”, the next-to-last, in which–all else having failed to crack Number Six’s resistance–Number Two receives authorization from his unseen superior to use Degree Absolute, a dangerous technique in which Number Two and Number Six will be locked in an intense psychological battle that may result in death or damage for either participant, and which will last “One week. One teeny-weeny week…”

@thboyd has admirably decoded five of the six clues; if I may be allowed to put a bit of a gloss on his fine work:

“Clue #6” was, of course, to get you to “Clue: Number Six”;

Clue #1 refers to the very long scarf McKern’s Number Two–and several of the other Number Twos-- wore;

Clue #2 refers to what is perhaps McKern’s most famous role, as Rumpole in Rumpole of the Bailey, in which he would refer to his wife–sometimes with a shudder–as “She Who Must Be Obeyed”, his H.Rider Haggard reference being intentional;

Clue #3 refers to Angelo Muscat who–in one of the series’ myriad of surreal, often absurd and occasionally outright wacky touches–played the efficient, ever-dignified and always silent little butler attached to the official residence of all the Number Twos (a la 10 Downing Street), and who becomes Number Six’s butler in the final episode as a result of the events in “Once Upon a Time”;

Clue #4 refers to Patrick McGoohan’s small role in 1996’s The Phantom, in which he was the ghostly ancestor of Kit Walker (Billy Zane). Kit Walker is the 21st Phantom in a line passed from father to son for 400 years. (McGoohan’s character is described by some–e.g., Wikipedia!–as being Kit’s father, but that would not explain McGoohan’s 16th-century apparel.) The Phantoms all wear the same costume to create the illusion of an immortal, unkillable champion, aka “The Ghost Who Walks”–a full-length, purple, skintight hooded costume, black mask, and tiger-skin trunks;

Clue #5 does indeed refer to the giant amoeba-like bubbles that patrol the Village and capture or kill would-be escapees (and sometimes other people); “Tiny Bubbles” is a Don Ho song that starts “Tiny bubbles/in the wine/make me feel happy/make me feel fine…”

Thanks for playing, @thboyd!

And lastly, in order to not be an utter waste of whitespace, an actual bit of business:

Update to Updates Received/Not Received 7/28/22 :: Time Warner Cable :: Albany, NY :: Zip Code 12203

I’ve received a third copy of Made in Abyss: Journey’s Dawn, and this new copy did show up on On Demand. The second copy that was only on Cutting Edge is gone. (My guess is that they just sent out a copy for On Demand that merged with the copy that was just on Cutting Edge and the original one, but I don’t see how to confirm that.) So now it’s my first merged movie. (Side effect of their sending out a new copy to try to get it to @Slowhand?) Once again it’s a case of no harm/no foul, since both merged copies seem to work fine (not that I’ve been through all two hours of either of them yet). So far Ye Olde Kludge & Ye New Kludge both work to separate them; I’ll try Ye Hokey Pokey Kludge tomorrow. As for the metadata, as far as I can see, it differs only in that one copy has its promo and Groaning Mecha and the other does not, and in the blurbs and the runtimes given in the blurbs: 1 hour and 59 minutes versus 2 hours for the descriptions on On Demand, 1 hour and 59 minutes versus 1 hour and 58 minutes for the descriptions on Cutting Edge. (Sudden pointless thought: Is it possible to tell which copy on On Demand corresponds to which copy on Cutting Edge? Hmm…Pointless challenge accepted!)

And because I haven’t said it in a while,

Thank you all for your patience and kind indulgence.

2 Likes

Schedule for July 28, 2022:

Cardfight! Vanguard overDress 8 arrived early July 7
The Demon Girl Next Door 4
Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto 3
Heaven’s Memo Pad 6
Joshiraku 7
Run with the Wind 5 arrived early July 21
To Love Ru Darkness 8
Tsukipro - 11
Utano Prince Sama 2000% 12 (FINAL EPISODE)
(RECEIVED)

STILL Missing for July 21 FIXED
To Love Ru Darkness 5 (Plays Season 1, Ep 5)

STILL MISSING: Not Received July 14 Received 7/28
Made in Abyss: Journey’s Dawn

STILL MISSING: Not Received June 30 never received
Chihayafuru Season 3 21 (plays Season 1, Ep 1)

Title changes

• Heavens/Pad, Eps 1-2; Heavens Memo Pad, Eps 3-6
  • Run/Wind, Ep 1; Run With/Wind, Eps 2-5
  • Utano/Sama, Eps 1-8; Utano, Eps 9-12
3 Likes

Sorry, guys, I’ve been out of town, so I’m behind. Trying to catch up.

They usually only get one anime a week (sometimes two), but they get all episodes at once, instead of once a week.

I believe I missed this series when I was younger, I have seen a few episodes, but my family watched The Avengers more.

2 Likes

The report for last week & all follow-ups was compiled and sent to Anime Network today.

Also reported:

Spectrum

Titles & Category changes

Let me know if I’ve missed anything!

Thanks!! :+1:

Upcoming August 2022 FVOD anime

August 4 - Saiyuki RELOAD ZEROIN - 13 eps (1 ep/wk)
August 4 - Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 12 eps (1 ep/wk)
August 11 - The Magnificent KOTOBUKI The Movie
August 11 - Utano☆Princesama Revolutions - 13 eps (1 ep/wk)
August 18 - To Love Ru Darkness 2nd - 12 eps (1 ep/wk)
August 18 - TsukiPro The Animation 2 - 13 eps (1 ep/wk)
August 25 - School-Live! The Movie

Upcoming August 2022 SVOD anime

August 4 - NANA Collection 2 - Eps 13-24
August 4 - Real Girl - 12 eps
August 4 - School-Live! The Movie
August 11 - Release the Spyce - 12 eps
August 18 - Cinderella Nine - 12 eps
August 25 - Yuki Yuna is a Hero Season 3 - 12 eps

3 Likes

Optimum For Wall Township, New Jersey 07719.
Received as of 8/5/22:
NANA Collection 2 - Eps 13-24 (Plus 21.5)
School-Live! The Movie
Real Girl - 12 eps

Still Missing as of 8/5/22:
Girls und Panzer das Finale, Part 1 (movie)

3 Likes

Updates Received/Not Received 8/4/22 :: Time Warner Cable :: Albany, NY :: Zip Code 12203

The short version:

“O frabjous day! Calloo! Callay!” Every single episode received this week (and I’m guessing I received them all on Cutting Edge and On Demand) comes complete with Promo and Groaning Mecha! Success at last!

On the other hand, every single series except for Joshiraiku (and the two new series Saiyuki: Zeroin & Yuki Yuna) had its name changed, but that’s small potatoes compared to finally getting to the end of the Sentai Sports Festival! (he said optimistically, hoping a new era had indeed begun):

Cardfight #9 becomes “Cardfight/Van.09”;

Demon Girl #5 becomes “.Demon/Next Door 05”;

Heaven’s Memo #7 becomes “Heaven/Pad 07”;

Run with Wind #6 becomes “Run With/Wind 06”;

Sakamoto #4 becomes “Havent/Saka. 04”;

To Love Ru Darkness #9 & #10 become “.Love Ru Dark. 09” and “.Love Ru Dark. 10”;

Tsukipro #12 becomes “Tsukipro/Ani. 12”; and

Utano 2K #13 becomes “Utano/2000% 13”.

As the Brits might say, it’s a bit dotty (“.”) (which doubles as an emoji), but as long as (fingers crossed) the Direct TV crew can finally watch AN without stutters or gltches, I’m fine with it.

Hmm, if I add

Joshiraiku #8

Saiyuki: Zeroin #1

Yuki Yuna #1

That’s a fair approximation of The long version, so I’ll leave it at that.

(“Wait a minute!” I hear someone think, “If this is the end of the Sentai Sports Festival, doesn’t that mean that The Decently Clad Club, which at this point is no more than a front for the evil parasitic clothes from the Kill la Kill universe, has won?” I’ve been preparing for this for a while now, so fear not. Or maybe fear greatly. But either way, my response won’t be ready for a long time…)

Other Irrelevancies

Apologies! It seems I messed up the Extra Credit! First of all, I Googled some images of the show, and it looks like the scarves worn by the Number Twos were not as long as my fond but fallible childhood memories made them out to be. There goes Clue #1! Worse, I did some research on 1996’s The Phantom, and judging from the text of Patrick McGoohan’s closing narration, he is indeed the ghost of Kit’s father and not–as I have thought all these years–the distant ancestor who founded the current line of Phantoms. (I still don’t get why he’s wearing 16th-century clothes–was he killed on his way to or from a costume party or something?) So there goes Clue #4! And it was one of my favorites, too…

A lesson in the fragility of my faculties. (Shot of Jababbi doing a face palm while crows circle his head cawing “Baka! Baka!”)

2 Likes

Schedule for August 4, 2022:

Cardfight! Vanguard overDress 9
The Demon Girl Next Door 5
Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto 4
Heaven’s Memo Pad 7
Joshiraku 8
Run with the Wind 6
To Love Ru Darkness 9
To Love Ru Darkness 10
Tsukipro - 12
Yuki Yuna is a Hero 1 (FIRST EPISODE)