Berserk / Kenpū Denki Berserk

I don’t know what you’re seeing but the cg is not awful. I have the blu-ray[seen it on neonalley too] and compared to alot of animes that use cgi this blows them out of the water. The way they mix 2d animation with cgi and have them compliment each other is superb. We’re talking about about the folks that animated The Animatrix and Halo Legends. Both were easily staples in anime’s continuing advancement in superior animation techniques.

Finally saw the whole movie again. Enjoyed the dub. Enjoyed the movie. Way better than what I remember of the TV show.

The CG was pretty bad but with the exception of a few panning shots where the animation was REALLY choppy because they cheaped out on unique frames (there’s a pretty bad scene like this in the Zod fight) I was able to get past it. Too much of the movie still looked like a crisper version of Funimation’s Dragon Age or Mass Effect movies. That sort of CG sticks out like a sore thumb against 2d animation. There were some parts in the intro fight sequence where they didn’t detail the CG models very well (right before the siege tower drops the ramp) making that worse.

I don’t know why they went with that wonky aspect ratio. It was almost like watching one of those old “panavision” classic films. There’s just everything wrong with getting a letterboxed image on a widescreen display.

I actually want to get the next one in the series. Didn’t think I’d say that.

I was at Walmart Saturday looking for movies and came across the 2nd film. Wasn’t blu-ray but I still picked it up. I’ve got the 1st in blu-ray so part of me feels compelled to acquire the 2nd film in blu-ray as well.

In my most recent rightstuf shipment they included an ad that said that the blu ray version of the second movie had exclusive content, like outtakes.

I’d rather they just did the combo pack if they want the bluray to sell. Why won’t these companies learn from Funimation?

Veeeeery tempting.

I went back and watched Ep 2 of Berserk (the anime) to compare it to the movie. There’s a lot that was changed (and the visuals are awful in the show) and a lot of little things that were left out of the movie.

The Casca fight was completely different in the movie: she had a double crossbow, which Guts had to avoid, and he ultimately beats her by chopping the legs off of her horse. In the show she gets pushed off her horse by Guts, only has a 1-shot crossbow, and is a punk. In the show Griffith’s spear just misses but the movie implies that Guts dodges. In the movie Casca is more useful but also a really, really, really annoying tsundere. She doesn’t seem to be as much of one in the show. Definite improvement.

Also, the show didn’t have any quips about Griffith being gay before their rematch. I didn’t remember any of them being there in the show when I saw the movie and I was correct.

Not sure what you mean by quips so if I have misunderstood, my apologies. I am at the moment assuming you’re speaking of Griffith’s sexual encounter with the Governor in the 2nd movie. I can’t remember which episode Casca sees Griffith with the Governor then later asks him about it. I think its before ep. 16.

Episode 16(series); 16min 10sec in Griffith meets the Governor again on the battlefield. The next 60 seconds should explain the rest. Griffith is not gay, he simply used the Governor’s sexual appetite for his own gain per se. At most Griffith is bisexual.

Ah, you’ve seen more than I have. I haven’t seen the second movie yet, still debating on where to buy it lol.

Anyhow, I was referring to just before the duel that Griffith and Guts have after Guts wakes up in the Band of the Hawk camp in the first movie. There’s this weird bit where Guts asks Griffith if he’s gay and “wants [his] ass” and Griffith gives vague and suggestive answers.

What I thought was weird about it was that what Griffith says in the movie is pretty close to what he said in the show but in the show I didn’t think it was anything “sexual” because Guts didn’t say anything about gayness in that scene in the show, but after Guts said what he said those lines became somewhat suggestive. I should go back and watch that scene from the movie in Japanese to see if Guts’ lines were the same in both versions.

Ok yea I had the notion you could be talking about the 1st movie but then was thinking of the part I mentioned in the 2nd. I’m not quite sure exactly what was said in the series but there might’ve been a jab at Griffith’s sexuality from Guts early on.

Houston to Screen Berserk: The Golden Age Arc Film Trilogy

posted on 2013-10-05 03:00 EDT
Triple-feature screenings to be shown dubbed & subtitled

1st 2 Berserk Films Stream on Hulu for 1 Week

posted on 2014-04-08 23:27 EDT

What is up with the title of this thread?

Read the first post perhaps?

This was my first attempt back when I was 13th Gojira before I left.

I did. The first post didn’t explain why, once the official English translation of the film happened, the title of the thread wasn’t changed. I’m surprised that you weren’t pushing for it as I’ve come to expect a high degree of fastidiousness from you on these forums :slight_smile:

On a side note, I’m glad that viz went with “king” over “supreme ruler”.

It was created before the second movie even hit theaters in Japan, and before VIZ licensed it.

As OneWayDevil pointed out, it was created by him before he deleted his old account, which means he couldn’t edit his post.

And since you bring it up, as it’s something that didn’t matter, there was no reason to push for a change.

VIDEO: “Man at Arms” Blacksmiths Forge “Berserk” Dragonslayer Sword

March 10, 2015 12:21am EDT
Guts’ massive sword gets the “Reforged” treatment

1 Like

Rise, rise…from your slumber… :ghost:

anyone ever bought this…and was it any good…

Berserk Gets New Anime Project Featuring Guts as ‘Black Swordsman’

posted on 2015-12-21 05:58 EST
Also: Manga to go on hiatus until summer, with series being published irregularly

Berserk’s New Anime Teased With Visuals

posted on 2015-12-24 20:35 EST

1 Like