Best OP/ED thread

For it’s time, circa-2002, the animation and everything were quite good. The Japanese voice work was top notch, so I imagine they had to cut corners somewhere. Shame it ended on a cliff hanger though, but it wasn’t as bad as how the manga ended.

And how could I forget Noir:

1 Like

Shhh!! Don’t talk about the ending I still have to see the last 2 episodes lol!

Sorry, but I didn’t give much away. Unfortunately, the manga never got finished. The author decided to take a break one day, and never picked it back up.

And since i posted the end for this one, here’s the opening:

1 Like

Petite Princess Yucie

1 Like

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Sorry, but I didn’t give much away. Unfortunately, the manga never got finished. The author decided to take a break one day, and never picked it back up.[/quote]

Yeah you didn’t give much away. I heard it had a bad ending before anyway. I was just saying don’t say anything else about it lol. Someone should hit the mangaka and get her back to work on it already lol. How do you just stop?

I realize now I should’ve either made a separate thread for Yoko Kanno or just banned her outright. It’s just not fair to have her stuff along side everyone else.

Star Blazers OP - Really enjoyed watching this as a kid.

Yeah, she deserves her own category - the one with James Horner. :wink: (I wonder how many people will get this without googling it. I’m sure Coffee God knows it.)

She makes good music, but her glaring ethical issues prevents her from ever reaching genius status that is a fashionable opinion in some quarters - much like how Afro Samurai supposedly is the greatest anime ever made.

I got it goon. You’re messed up =)

I wouldn’t say it’s a bad ending, just inconclusive. It leaves you wanting more.

This is the last thing I’ll say on this issue so as not to derail the thread. But I don’t find it humorous - stealing and profiting from it I mean. It is the same carefree attitude that’s destroying our industry - Oh who cares about fansubbing or downloading anime (it’s just me - or I was never gonna buy it anyway - or who cares about ethics here’s my middle finger to the MAN)… all not a big deal, it’s all just 0s and 1s… “Oh it’s just music, I like how it sounds.” And that’s all that matters…

Tommy stealing and theft isn’t defensible, especially when she won’t either admit it or when she makes statements like she’s never heard So and So piece before - only for her to steal it. Now if she were doing it as art and not profiting from others that would be completely different, or if she admitted borrowing/taking ideas. The only thing Kanno supporters can come up with is some other composers do it. :wink: Given anime is a pretty small industry and away from Western prying eyes, she’s been able to escape warranted criticism and legal action.

Now look what you did Tommy… You got Dragoon going!

LOL. It’s mostly a matter of people speaking out for what’s good and right. For a long time far too many people were silent about the ills of piracy, FS, dub-hating, etc. The result creates a philosophical echo-chamber that anime fans (band-wagon mentality as they are) begin to accept appearances or fashionable opinions - even if not true - as truth or facts.

Engaging with diversified opinion is more powerful than people realize. For a long time anime fans thought that speaking up against piracy was useless. But the voices have grown louder in the last 2 or so years and the result has been very positive.

Without googleing I’ll assume your referring to the controversy around her (possibly) sampling other peoples works, and re-using her own or whatever. Therefore that guy must do the same for Hollywood. I only know this because You had a similar conversation with me about this :wink: . I don’t know who the guy is though, probally big in Hollywood though.

As for whether it’s true or not, I don’t think I’m informed enough to make such a judgement. I can however say the music she is credited with is really top grade stuff. If she is truly stealing music and profiting from it that is very shameful and I really look down on that.

But she’s not the only composer out there, there are tons of other very talented people who are very consitent and do a wonderful jobs with their soundtracks. Shame they get caught in her shadow. We must never forget about all of them either. And most of them have no such controversy surrounding them, so that’s a plus in my book :wink: .

We’ve hashed this out before on the yoko kanno appreciation thread from a previous forum Goonie my love. I’m just too selfish and base an individual to live my principles. If I tried to exclude every product from my life that in some way negatively impacted the world I’d end spending so much time trying to sort what is okay and what isn’t that I’d miss on enjoying my life. Similarly with Miss Kanno, if I never listened to her music because of the stigma attached to it, I never would’ve realized how much I loved what she did. Like freaking OLEV her work. Cowboy Bebop, GitS one and two, Macross, Wolf’s Rain, etc etc…

I’m sorry goon, I’m just not a very good person. But at least for the time being, I can live with that.

Can you still love me?

how about if I give you saber in a plug suit?

For the most part yeah. There are several soundtrack composers that are notorious for stealing - and a lot of soundtrack composers listen to other peoples work to get ideas, inspiration or downright copy it. So basically there’s two issues, artist value (ie. is someone really unique or great to be copying another’s work?) and there’s ethics and legality. Copyright laws pass around 75 years (if I remember right) after someone’s death, which is why classical music is often a safe zone for others to copy or get inspiration from - they are the masters of music that composers study and strive for.

There’s a huge amount of data you can find on the internet, YT, etc comparing her works side by side with the artists she steals from. It is staggering, everyday Kanno fans are finding more and more.

As far as Horner, yeah he’s one of the most infamous ones around. You might know him from the music by Clannad… er I mean to Titanic. :wink: His score to Honey I Shrunk the Kids had a suit against it and Disney had to settle out of court - since then I don’t think Disney has hired him again and he’s been a joke in some of the more academic circles.

Soundtrack composers like Kanno, and other big name ones usually have a production staff and ghost writers that help them compose the music as well. It’s kind of a shady scene, unfortunately. One never really knows the true extent of how creative or talented some musicians really are - most people don’t really know what goes on behind the scenes, since we can not see it tangibly.

Music is a very tricky art, and as far as I’m concerned one of the most complex sciences, because it’s not as easy to detect plagiarism. It’s not like seeing a copied word for word sentence or seeing someone draw and color the same thing. Music has a lot of intricacies and most people simply don’t have the ears to detect - as it’s only acquired either through dedicated study or natural born gift. Perfect pitch and even relative pitch isn’t common with the general population at large. So most people don’t know any better, they just have the basic feel of a song or whether or not something sounds nice to them.

To be clear, I’m not saying she is not talented. She makes nice sounding music, however I find her uniqueness and ability to express her own style questionable. And in my book what she does isn’t genius. For all I know the true genius is someone in her production staff or ghost writer. :wink:

LOL I did not see your post before. Yes I still love you. :wink: And yes I have the ability to blow people’s brains up too! :stuck_out_tongue: