Blog Archive: 2009-2014

#1. I never come out in favor of no text subtitles, I hate that! HATE THAT! HATE THAT! I never said I don’t watch stuff without them, I do, I just want them if I am paying ADV money.

#2. This is the online player’s 3rd major update, the first was after ADV lost the Sojitz titles and ADV decided to put full series up, the second was with the new redesign of the site when you added full screen(I never said I hatted full screen, I like it, I’m sorry I didn’t bring it up before) If I recall right the Beta ended in Febuary last year not this year.

#3. Has site traffic gone up, I think the site redesign is neat, I even give you that not everyone has SVOD and DVDs.

#4. I don’t contradict myself on other boards, I just have a very middle view, so on sites like this I come out in favor of fansubs, against ADV’s ideals sometimes, and on another board I am mad at people who watch FMA 2 fansubbed when they live in America and can just as easily watch it legally.

I don’t think I was attacking, I did not make anything up(you have been saying “this is the beginning” that long). I am sorry I had to do this, we were having a pretty descent back and forth debate that got blown up.

1 Like

I don’t really view it as you attacking, but more like exaggerating and always trying to be negative. :wink: I did give you credit for previous good points made though, earlier in the thread. It’s cool that you clarified your post though.

As far as the beta from this year that included this new Online Player with full screen option #2, no it never really ended. It was still in beta and a work in progress up til recently. And there’s still more to come.

Also if you read my story, I mentioned:

“Since Anime Network’s Online Player debut, the service has continued to grow in popularity and has become increasingly busy – with the launch of the new player, Anime Network has also transitioned to a new back end system that promises major improvements in content delivery for its customers and viewers.”

This new current Online Player is now with a complete new back end that was not available before. It’s brand new as of this week to meet the increased traffic demands from the last few months.

They’ve been doing a lot of work under the hood so to speak, and there’s still more in the works, it’s not the end.

Anime Network is doing more work recently than they have in quite a long time. There’s a lot to celebrate and be happy about, I think.

1 Like

I’d like to say, as a former Akimbo user, i really like this idea.I used to have cable, and got VOD anime from ADV. I got Akimbo, and got So much more. I wish it had lasted longer personnaly, but meh. Anyway, now i have verizon, and they only carry funimation. Let me tell you, it’s horrible. They only play the same 4 series over and over, and the VOD never seems to get an update. I will subscribe to this for sure. ^^

1 Like

Long time no see lynch. Welcome back.

1 Like

I just want to post my thoughts in support of the player. Today, I had a technician come out to my house to fix my internet and while he was here he did indeed confirm the same things I’ve heard from other techs in my area and what the call center people had been saying. My town has virtually no hope of getting on demand service which is really lame. Way to go Charter Communications. Consider me another unhappy and unsatisfied Charter customer. The Anime Network has saved my sanity. This subscription service is a wonderful service and I for one hope it is around for years to come. Akimbo bailed on us and I was very upset when that happened. I realize that The Anime Network is still working out the bugs and adding more features. That’s understandable it takes time. I for one would like to see a more dedicated customer service option available for us paying subscribers. The forum works but an email or better yet, phone number you could call would be better. Maybe something to look forward to long term. Anyway I can’t complain. Charter has let me down and The Anime Network has come to the rescue. I think this subscription service is the beginning of wonderful new things to come and I can only see it getting better and better. Way to go Anime Network! :cheer:

1 Like

[quote=dragoon]
Long time no see lynch. Welcome back.[/quote]

Thanks Dragoon. Good to see the new look around here, ^^

1 Like

First off sorry i havent been around a while – been busy lately.

And thank the ppl at TAN . im a subscriber on vod for TAN but im also going to subscribe to this. gives me all the options i want )

to be honest ive been hopeing for this for a long time and shesh wahts 7 bucks a month for all of this. its a heck of a value dont ya think.

im just here to say Cool Deal. thanks

Triv

1 Like

Well i have read all the replies to this thread and you all have good points
yes I have a paid VOD account with my cable CO. and some of you are right if you already paid for the service you should get this service too included.

Why should a cosumer pay for this service twice?

here is a suggestion you can take it as a good thing or just ignore it
for the ppl who have the VOD service;
if possible for the Anime network to do, can you go by the cable Co. ipaddress to find out if they do pay for your service and let us in without paying it x2?

I do agree with the most Loyal customers about paing it twice is really not fair

Either way i still LOVE this website and I do LOVE the service i get as a VOD subscriber even though now I wont be able to watch most epidsodes here on this site because you need a primum account on here

1 Like

[quote=Cdn_Bandit]
Well i have read all the replies to this thread and you all have good points
yes I have a paid VOD account with my cable CO. and some of you are right if you already paid for the service you should get this service too included.

Why should a cosumer pay for this service twice?

here is a suggestion you can take it as a good thing or just ignore it
for the ppl who have the VOD service;
if possible for the Anime network to do, can you go by the cable Co. ipaddress to find out if they do pay for your service and let us in without paying it x2?

I do agree with the most Loyal customers about paing it twice is really not fair

Either way i still LOVE this website and I do LOVE the service i get as a VOD subscriber even though now I wont be able to watch most epidsodes here on this site because you need a primum account on here[/quote]

I don’t agree that people with cable VOD should get the service free online. They are 2 completely different services, with 2 completely differnt costs for ADV and TAN. On cable, the cable company gets a nice chunk of the subscribtion dues, and I would imagine the people who run the online player also get a nice chunk of dues. I wish I could go to Blockbuster and get free movies all the time(because I have the online service), but I can’t.
Slick

I have to agree with slick on this one. Besides that the online player subscription is a very reasonable deal considering what we get. This is a very nice service and I for one would chose this over cable subscriptions anyday.

1 Like

I can understand why some people get confused about this, since they don’t necessarily understand the complexity of the licensing business or how the cable companies and networking business operates. You aren’t paying only for the content, you’re paying for how that content is delivered.

That’s not really possible for the issues that slickwolfie described. The blockbuster analogy is a good one since the distribution channels for VOD and Online are completely different.

You’re not necessarily paying for the content alone, you’re paying for how the distribution channels are granted for Anime Network, ie. cable/satellite companies getting a share of the pie for granting AN access to their networks.

When you pay an SVOD fee for Anime Network VOD on cable or satellite, that money helps pay for cable services. When you pay for Anime Network Online Player it helps pay for Anime Network’s own services, bandwidth, servers, storage on Anime Network. They are two different things entirely. One is handled by your cable company and one is handled here by Anime Network.

Second, the amount of shows on the Online Player are significantly more. On Cable you’re paying for the Cable company to grant access to Anime Network, for 10-30 hrs of content there at a time. On Anime Network Online Player the amount of content is much more at a time since Anime Network is paying for that itself. Completely separate.

The production and employees delivering both contents are also different. What you pay for Cable VOD doesn’t necessarily pay the department, staff, production, network, infrastructure that handles the Online Player etc. enough to sustain itself.

Most importantly, one has to remember licensing costs. To get a lot of these shows online requires paying Japanese companies more money. Digital distribution costs and broadcasting licenses are not the same thing. For ADV Films and Anime Network to be able to bring these shows Online requires monetization of the cycle. Old contracts had to be redone/talked over again etc. When a lot of these shows were produced there were no digital distribution rights granted to US companies. There are also some cases where Japanese companies (understand that Japanese business is very oldschool and conservative) do not want to grant digital rights no matter what either. So the fact that Anime Network was recently able to get so many to Premiere Online recently is rather big, big news around here. But… these things do need to pay for themselves.

It’s a very complex chain and business model.

1 Like

RahXephon Interview

[quote=“dragoon”]
Posted by: Rai in Untagged
Amos Wong, our bestest friend from Japan, caught up with Yutaka Izubuchi (of RahXephon fame) and shot some questions his way about his mecha masterpiece, as well as his other works. Take it away, Amos!
RahXephon marks a watershed in the career of Yutaka Izubuchi. Until the 2002 TV series, the illustrator/designer was renowned for his work on popular titles including Record of Lodoss Wars, Patlabor and various Gundam series. “When I’m designing mecha, characters or costumes, I have to express the world of the title through those designs,” he comments on the creative process. Citing the Bugu mecha in the futuristic military drama Gasaraki, Izubuchi elaborates: “I had to make it look ‘real’ while at the same time incorporating samurai style armor and a sword; it was a mix between western and Japanese styles.”

Read full story: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Yutaka-Izubuchi-on-RahXephon.html&Itemid=64[/quote]
Originally posted: June 8, 2009 @ 4:32pm

Anime Network June shows debut: SuperGals, Lost Universe, KoiKoi7, Izumo, El Hazard

[quote=“dragoon”]
SuperGals, Lost Universe, KoiKoi7, Izumo, El Hazard debuts on Anime Network

As previously reported, Anime Network’s Summer line up kicked off last month with premieres of Aria, Maria Watches Over Us, Toward the Terra (movie), and Appleseed – this week Anime Network adds several new shows never before shown on either Anime Network (SuperGals!, El Hazard) or through US/Can cable systems (Koi Koi 7, Izumo) and a return of an older classic that hasn’t been on the network in many years, (Lost Universe). SuperGals! and Lost Universe are available for all Anime Network carriers, while El Hazard, Koi Koi 7 and Izumo will premiere at this time exclusive for Anime Network SVOD carriers.

For those without SVOD, Anime Network will also be adding these shows soon for Anime Network Online Player Subscription members.

http://advnation.blogspot.com/[/quote]
Originally posted: June 5, 2009 @ 4:04pm

Comment option now available in Shows and Online Player!

Originally posted: June 17, 2009 @ 3:22pm

1 Like

That’s awesome. I was hoping this a feature that would be added soon. Now hopefully we can keep out the more “colorful” comments that litter Crunchyroll’s pages. Great job guys! Thanks!

I like the feature, and think it will be very useful, as long as it’s not abused.

I don’t like the fact that it fills in and then actually posts your real name. This site is inconsistent about use of real name versus nickname; I think you need to be a bit more careful. If I knew what to expect, I would have changed it myself.

Would it be possible for a moderator change the name on the second comment on Elfen Lied to my nickname? I don’t see any way to edit things myself.

1 Like

you can change it to your username before you post your comment. It stays there like that afterwards i think. Let me know if there’s anything else! Thanks!

1 Like

[quote=CrispyCritter]
I like the feature, and think it will be very useful, as long as it’s not abused.

I don’t like the fact that it fills in and then actually posts your real name. This site is inconsistent about use of real name versus nickname; I think you need to be a bit more careful. If I knew what to expect, I would have changed it myself.

Would it be possible for a moderator change the name on the second comment on Elfen Lied to my nickname? I don’t see any way to edit things myself.[/quote]

It’s changed. I had originally set it for username rather than real name but realized I did that on the beta site. It’s fixed now. I also enabled the preview feature and bb-code elements.

I’m trying to get it to switch your name on the comment on question to your username. It’s fighting back. If I can’t get it I’ll delete the comment if you want.

1 Like

[quote=akpoff]
I’m trying to get it to switch your name on the comment on question to your username. It’s fighting back. If I can’t get it I’ll delete the comment if you want.[/quote]

Never mind. Now it’s showing as CrispyCritter.

OK Everyone, here’s your one and only one chance to get me to fix your name on a comment. If you commented and it posted your real name rather than username, respond to this thread and let me know.

Fine Print: Good while supplies last. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Void where prohibited law. No cash exchanges.

1 Like

Great! Thanks very much for fighting your battles and getting my name changed. I appreciate it.

As I said, I think this is a very nice feature that would have been quite useful to me a couple of weeks ago - by now I’ve either tried or investigated elsewhere most of the shows here.

You might consider having some text (or even a link) in the comment section that directs people to the right forum section (or even thread) for discussion of that show. Anything that encourages discussion would be good.

1 Like