Blog Archive: 2009-2014

This makes me wish I still lived in an area that had Armstrong Cable. It took them like three months to do a new hookup, and they took years to add Anime Network. But now they have the SVOD service, and from the looks of the schedule, they have tons of content.

If I had more money, I would move, rather than go back to DirecTV. But I really don’t have a choice.

This is depressing me so much that I can’t even watch anime…

1 Like

Anime Network Twitter Feed Now on Main Page!

Originally posted: June 5, 20009 @ 5:48pm

1 Like

Ahhh… Twitter continuing to dominate the world. LOL

Cool new addition though, it’s a great way to keep in touch and communicate with the fans.

I just started using it myself due to Rai. It’s forced brevity on me. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’LL NEVER JOIN TWITTER MY LIFE IS NOT FOR SHOW

Other people however, I will watch

Enjoy yourselves :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

LOL mita, join the club, you know you want to!

You don’t need to do that in Twitter if you don’t want to, it’s what you make it. You can use it just to communicate with others.

1 Like

I don’t really do Twitter myself either, but I’ve been following the feed on the Main Page…

I certainly hope that someone is going to supply the answers to this:
http://spoinks.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-many-anime-related-things-can-you.html

I can only identify a few of them, although I know I recognize a lot more, I just can’t place them all…:unsure:

[quote=Slowhand]
I don’t really do Twitter myself either, but I’ve been following the feed on the Main Page…

I certainly hope that someone is going to supply the answers to this:
http://spoinks.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-many-anime-related-things-can-you.html

I can only identify a few of them, although I know I recognize a lot more, I just can’t place them all…:unsure:[/quote]

The worst part for me is that the Virtual Boy is not anime related but it is there to be considered one.

1 Like

Subscription service now online!

Originally posted: May 18, 2009 @ 6:24pm

1 Like

Cool! Been waiting for something like this for ages.

Just wrote a story on it on my ADV/Anime Network blog (shameless plug) :lol:

Full story: http://advnation.blogspot.com/2009/05/anime-network-debut-new-online-player.html

[quote]Anime Network debuts new Subscription service and Online Player with tiered content (Free, Registered member and Subscribed) system. Since Anime Network’s Online Player debut, the service has continued to grow in popularity and has become increasingly busy – with the launch of the new player, Anime Network has also transitioned to a new back end system that promises major improvements in content delivery for its customers and viewers.

The new $6.95/month (plus tax) subscription service grants members full access to the latest ADV Films releases, including the Online Premieres: Clannad and Princess Resurrection, Mahoromatic Season 1, 2 and Special, Kiba, Tsukihime, Cool Dimension - established fan favorites of ADV’s that are Premiering online for the first time: Azumanga Daioh, Elfen Lied, This Ugly Yet Beautiful World as well as classic older Out-of-Print titles like Sakura Wars and Orphen Season 1 that are rare finds. Exclusive new titles like Clannad and Princess Resurrection start out with several episodes and like their VOD schedule should get more new episodes in a future update. Other titles coming to Anime Network Online Player in the near future include Appleseed (2004 Movie), Lost Universe, Soul Hunter, and others.

For more information on the new Online Player and new shows check out their site at www.theanimenetwork.com [/quote]

1 Like

Rai just posted a bunch of new info about the Online Player on the Anime Network site as well:

We’re Up with New Look and Content
We have Monthly Subscriptions
Welcome to the New AN Subscription Service

We’re Up with New Look and Content
As you can see we’ve made some major changes to the site, especially the Watch Online page and the viewer page. We made it much easier to see what you can watch online.

If you check viewer page (like BASToF Syndrome) you’ll see that we have lots of great episodes online that you can view just by subscribing. That’s right. Tons of Anime just because you’re a member the Anime Network website.

We’re also launching our subscription site. For a low $6.95/month look for Clannad, Divergence Eve, DE: Misaki Chronicles and Saiyuki. We’ve also scheduled tons of new and favorite episodes from our huge library of Anime. We’ll have the schedule up in a couple of days. Look for Appleseed, Lost Universe and Soul Hunter very soon.

You can’t subscribe just yet. We should have subscriptions online in the next couple of days. Check back frequently but in the mean time, if you’re a registered member already, enjoy Area 88BASToF Syndrome and other great shows. or

If you’re not a registered Anime Network member, what are you waiting for? Sign-up now!

We have Monthly Subscriptions!
You read it here first! Or maybe not. We just got the shopping cart with monthly subscriptions working. And not 5 minutes into getting it posted and one of our dedicated Anime Network fans had already subscribed.

So, what do you get? For $6.95/month you get access to all the Anime Network episodes that we’ve managed to post – and there will be more coming. Technically you get 30 hours of content per month but we’re not enforcing that for now. We want you on the site and viewing anime. We’ll watch the stats for a while and let the community know how we’re doing on usage. We’ll probably roll out some form of tiered pricing to cover those fans who need more than 30 hours.

For now, though, jump in and try the new monthly subscription out. Give us feedback and let us know how it looks, how well it works and what we can do to make it better. Keep it civil, but don’t pull any punches.

Welcome to the New AN Subscription Service!
Hey there! I suppose you’re all wondering what we’ve been doing while the site was under maintenance, right? Well, in the last couple of weeks we’ve been working on revamping the Online Player with some exciting new features for you guys to play around with that will hopefully integrate it with the rest of the site even further, giving it more of a community feel. We also pretty’d her up a bit, you should see how she shines!

If you take a closer look, you’ll see that some shows are “tagged” with Free, Registered, and Subscribed labels. These new tiers of content will give newcomers a chance to check out what anime is all about, anime fans to get a sneak peak of new and old shows, and our hardcore fans to have all the anime they want right at their fingertips. Sounds cool right? So here’s a little explanation of what each new tier brings to the table.

“Free” Content
This is the stuff that anyone on the internet can take a look at. Free content will give newcomers to anime a chance to check out the first episodes of most of our shows and see what kinds of stuff they like. Also, if you just want to watch a quick ep of something new, our free content will be right up your alley. Is there a show you want to watch more of? Then you might want to check out…

“Registered” Content
All you have to do is make a free account at our site, and you will automatically be able to watch even more episodes of our shows, and as an added bonus you’ll also have access to our forums, where you can get helpful advice about new shows or good shows to watch, or just goof off and talk anime. As many fans will tell you, the first couple of episodes of a show can sometimes be misleading. In this case, being a registered member to our site will give you the chance to see how some shows progress. All you veteran anime fans will also have the option to peruse our wares and see which titles fit your particular niche. If you’re still pumped about that one show and want to see even more, the you might want to check out…

“Subscribed” Content
This is for the hardcore anime fans out there who just can’t get enough! For only $6.95 a month, you’ll have the opportunity to watch all the anime you want at your leisure. Just finished watching that show that made you jump to the subscriber’s tier? Keep going, because there’s plenty more where that came from, now that you’ve become a subscribed member. You’ll also get instant access to all the new shows that we pick up, so there’s no need to wait weeks and weeks for new stuff, you guys will be all set up from the get go.

Hope that cleared things up a bit. Still confused? Check out the forums for more help and give us your feedback! Thanks everyone, and enjoy!

1 Like

You mean that registered users won’t get to see complete series, a subscription service is a good idea but that is going too far, I like ADV but not that much, I already pay for SVOD, I don’t want to double dip just to see 1-2 shows that aren’t on SVOD.

1 Like

There will be some series available for free for registered members. There already are right now, like BASTof.

Remember, not everyone has a cable or satellite provider with SVOD as you do, in fact tens of millions of Comcast, Time Warner, etc customers don’t. This will allow them to see a lot of SVOD content and more.

Anime Network just started it, it’s only the beginning. Also Anime Network won’t be limited in space and storage capacity, so this method gives a lot more flexibility in terms of offerings.

1 Like

Fair but I still think doing this, while competing with Funimation, Youtube, Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Joost is not a great idea unless if TAN starts getting simulcast shows, and the way ADV has been lately I doubt they will.

1 Like

Anime Network is certainly looking at it from a lot of angles and you bring up a valid point. Like I said, this is just the beginning. :wink:

There’s a lot of content here exclusive to Anime Network only, like Clannad, Princess Res, Azumanga, and others. People who don’t buy DVDs or have access to SVOD will find this offering filling a void. For example on Comcast, PPV fees are about $1 per 24 minutes of content… here with Subscription you get a lot more bang for the buck, like SVOD members do.

1 Like

You have been saying this is the beginning for about a year and a half, to be horribly honest, the best setup TAN online ever had was the original one, it had a schedule, easy to navigate menus, and a message of the day. Besides the technical problems which ADV has done a good job fixing, I wish they would go back to that.

1 Like

I am very excited about this new service. Like dragoon said, Comcast and other large cable companies do not offer SVOD for TAN. I’ve been waiting for this for a few years now(since akimbo), and will take advantage of it ASAP. I hope everything goes well for ADV and good luck.
Slick

1 Like

[quote=mitamaking]
You have been saying this is the beginning for about a year and a half, to be horribly honest, the best setup TAN online ever had was the original one, it had a schedule, easy to navigate menus, and a message of the day. Besides the technical problems which ADV has done a good job fixing, I wish they would go back to that.[/quote]

Well, actually, this IS the beginning of this Online Player, so we haven’t been saying it for a year and a half.

This is the Online Player we have now. I like the way it’s set-up. I can find what I want, the descriptions of the episodes are there to help me out.

I haven’t been able to find much fault with it.

Again - I’m going to say, if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything. Especially if you’re just going to say something like ‘going back’ to something in the past. It ain’t going to happen. Be a grown-up.

[quote=mitamaking]
You have been saying this is the beginning for about a year and a half, to be horribly honest, the best setup TAN online ever had was the original one, it had a schedule, easy to navigate menus, and a message of the day. Besides the technical problems which ADV has done a good job fixing, I wish they would go back to that.[/quote]

Now you’re making stuff up with facts that are often inaccurate, nothing new there. :huh: Can you stop exaggerating with your complaints. It’s fair to have issues and bring them up but… Like that time you were complaining about never watching stuff without sign subs just to make a show of bravado… yet on another forum you say something totally different. It’s like you just want to post complete negativity here hoping by being super negative at ADV/AN someone at the company will recognize your complaints as special.

You’re bringing different issues with the website into this discussion. It’s been a complex transition period with the VOD schedule and they’ve been working on it.

The Online Player has always been a liquid and moving with minor updates, but this is the first major update of the player since the first iteration in 07. So I’m not sure where you’re getting new beginnings from. The beginning of this was when they transitioned to the new back end beta system earlier this year, which Dorram discussed a few months ago before he left. It has morphed since then to something much more complex and has taken more time.

In addition once again, Anime Network has gotten new content to premiere online that not everyone has seen as they have never been online before. DVD buyers and SVOD buyers might have but that’s not a huge market in relation to the full scope of Anime fans out there. Again you’re thinking of everything within your narrow scope. Not everyone has SVOD or has had SVOD like you have.

The past website did not do much for Anime Network, it was time for them to change and make this a site and community more than just about what was available before, where people checked out the site for a minute then left. That was stagnant. This is evolving and hopefully will create a community where people can hang out for extended periods of time with more things to do.

1 Like

[quote=Slowhand]
This is the Online Player we have now. I like the way it’s set-up. I can find what I want, the descriptions of the episodes are there to help me out.

I haven’t been able to find much fault with it.[/quote]

I agree. I think this player is much better than the original. I love the fullscreen and it looks great. Why go back to a player that wasn’t fullscreen? That doesn’t make sense.
Slick

1 Like