Brain Drain

So, The right Joy Con on my Switch was loose because it seems I wore out the bit of plastic that locks the Joy Con to the Switch, and I ordered some metal replacement thinking “On this should be easy!”

45 minutes after I finally got everything back together: “NEVER AGAIN!”

And about 25 minutes of it was just trying to get the replacement latch in place. and 20 minutes trying to reattach the ribbon cables. And I’m glad I bought a kit that came with spare springs. Joy Cons are just too small to wanna mess with.

2 Likes

I bought a Joy Con repair kit so my son could take one of his apart. Seems the buttons had become unresponsive and he was sure it was because of dust & crud getting under them. He had no trouble taking it apart using the tools, but it turned out that the included “Cheap Paint Brush” was needed to get the gunk out. The special button cleaning tool in the kit just would not do it.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

Isn’t it a little early for the Switch’s controllers to be breaking down?

Did Nintendo get chintzy with the build quality for them?

1 Like

Not really, currently my son carries the Switch with him everywhere … in his pocket.

So, it has to be cleaned of lint fairly often.

The same thing has happened with his PS Vita and various Nintendo DS units in the past.

In the Switch’s case he needed a couple of specialized screwdrivers to get it open to clear a particularly bad infestation of lint.

Mark Gosdin

I think in my case, they underestimated the wear and tear on the latch to prevent the Joy Con from flying off the console. Plastic on metal is not exactly a good thing.

All other issues are just me being more rough on it than I normally would on a device like this.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m watching for Seth to bring me the Switch with a broken Joy Con latch just any time. He’s not rough on it, but he definitely uses it. Thanks to you I know it can be fixed with the proper repair kit. :+1:

Mark Gosdin

I would suggest getting a kit with spare springs. The spring used for the latch is REALLY tiny. The diameter might be smaller than your front facing camera lens on your smartphone.

I don’t remember what it was I had wanted to take apart, but I already had a tri-wing screwdriver, so the fact the kit came with one means I now have two of them!

One day, I’ll take the plunge and buy that iFitit kit.

Interesting story. At some point, after Sega gave up on the console market and decided to just become a game publisher, there was a game they ported to the Gamecube that annoyed me that it didn’t have a switch for Japanese voices like the Dreamcast version did. I had found out that the Gamecube had a resister that basically controlled if the system was a Japanese console or a North American console. I had planned to attach a switch to that so I could play the imported version of the game (with the new features) so I could have the Japanese vocals (The fact this was something I wanted before I discovered anime had that on DVDs is interesting in of itself), however, even though I bought a bit to unscrew the Gamecube, I saw the contacts why too small for me to even attempt to attach wires to them.

1 Like

Being a Computer & General Tech Geek I’ve had a lot of experience with very tiny springs that go “boing” and disappear into the Nth Dimension. :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

Off to the dmv . Car passed with resistance yesterday . New horn and sticky reflectors got it through ,but guy was still saying it needed lighted side markers . How loud the thing is if someone runs into me at night they are drunk as f@^k or should not be driving .

4 Likes

So my order of Infinite Stratos 2 Premium Box Set I was sent someone else’s order . The mail label was right ,but the inside was someone else’s order and invoice . Knew I was tempting fate by ordering when Rightstuf was involved . Not even the right item either . Could understand if it was the same ,but it’s not .

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, how would you get that resolved? Would you have to go through Sentai or RightStuf?

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure . I sent a email to with pictures of what came to Sentai first . I’m thinking they are who it needs to go through since It was ordered from them . Just sucks it happened on a weekend and when the sale is almost over plus Rightstuf is closed . Hopefully they have stock to replace it as who knows where my order went as it seems like they mislabeled the package after it was packed . Still not sure how something that large could have been mistaken for this package as it’s just a single normal sized blu-ray .

4 Likes

Infinite Stratos 2 doesn’t appear to be in low stock at the moment, so that alone is a ray of hope. Still sucks that you have to jump through a set of hoops to get the proper set you originally paid for…

3 Likes

That sucks. It is usually an indication that the shipper, in this case Rightstuf, is over whelmed. I know they’ve been sending me multiple emails daily with their anniversary sale. So it may be getting to them in the shipping department.

I had a nasty fight with Best Buy’s web ordering Thursday night. Two separate orders that the second had to be canceled twice and re-entered. Then FedEx sent the first order, a new laptop for second son Seth, to their facility in a city some 60 miles away passing thru the Orlando facility where it should have gone out for delivery, that facility is less than 10 miles away. They showed they were going to delay the shipment 3 days and back-track. I emailed and unloaded on them. It got here today about an hour ago.

This just topped of a truly awful week.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

Yeah, Right Stuf seems to get overwhelmed with some frequency. They have Sentai’s summer sale going on at the same time as their anniversary sale. I’m sure that doesn’t help. They had issues last time with just a Sentai sale.

2 Likes

And … this morning I get an email from Rightstuf. Web site is down for “Scheduled” maintenance. That is to say, they were having problems so they need to take it down during a “Quiet” period. It’s scheduled in the sense that it didn’t crash.

W. A. M. ( What A Mess )

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

Is there a silver lining in all of this, that Sentai stuff is selling well for RS and/or RS is doing a booming business?

2 Likes

They got their maintenance done earlier this afternoon and the flow of email advertising resumed.

It’s good to have that much business flowing to Rightstuf from their sale and Sentai’s, but it’s bad to have so much business that you make shipping mistakes like @Psychopuppet had. Nevermind that they had to do something to their web site, and / or it’s back-end, while all the business is there.

It depends on how much the messed up shipments, site downtime & site maintenance cost Rightstuf.

It doesn’t take all that much to wipe out profits.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

Honestly if what happened back in Dec-Jan had not happened I’d not be as hard on Rightstuf as I am . That whole thing soured me to the point I was ready to spend $50 more on a release just to avoid having to deal with them . The post office was even more helpful then them to the point they had me give Rightstuf a direct number to say the package was lost . Still took sending a message at Fandom to get my order . I’d been ordering from them since around 2000 maybe longer as I think I might have done a mail order in the 90’s and really I figured after the 10 for $50/ 25 for $100 Geneon sell offs they’d be able to handle pretty much anything . I waited a month for a few of those to ship as Geneon I believe did not give them a accurate inventory list .

As long as I get what I ordered from Sentai I’ll be happy to place orders on their site even knowing they ship from Rightstuf . I was thinking about doing a pre-order directly through Rightstuf for K-on PBS ,but now I’m not . If Sentai handles this well then even knowing Rightstuf is involved I’ll pre-order closer to release from them . They really need to setup the pre-order function at least on PayPal where it does not charge until it ships .

5 Likes

Got a response today . Just sent me and the other person pre-paid labels to send direct to each other . No sending Slowhand in . :wink:

5 Likes