AN Forums

Brain Teasers

[quote=“LadyOfWicca” post=160873]A spoonerism is a pair of words that can have their initial sounds switched to form new words. The pairs need only sound the same, not necessarily be spelled the same (power saw & sour paw, horse cart & coarse heart). There may sometimes be one or two connecting words (kick the stone & stick the cone, king of the rats & ring of the cats). Given the following definitions, what are the spoonerisms?

1. overweight dam builder & symptom of a sick flying mammal
  2. bottom of the ocean & an insect-bitten dog has this
  3. a cooking utensil & a nosy admirer
  4. the person in charge of clocks and watches & the result of exposing silent actors to the sun[/quote]

3. Frying Pan & Prying Fan

??

You stand before two doors, each with a guard. They will only let you open one door. One door leads to Paradise, the other to death. You may ask one and only one question to one of the guards. One guard always tells the truth, and the other guard always lies (but they aren’t telling you which is which). What one question do you ask? Which door do you enter?

Answers to mine are posted.

An old one, but a good one, shadzar!

You ask either guard which door the other guard would choose to get to Paradise and whatever his answer is, choose the opposite door.
If you ask the honest guard, he will honestly tell you that the other guard will lie and pick the Death door.
If you ask the lying guard, he will lie and tell you the honest guard picked the Death door.
They’ve both picked the Death door, so you are safe if you go through the other door.

[spoiler]

One of my Favorite old school episodes of Dr. Who, The Pyramids of Mars, features a similar conundrum.

-The question is to ask either of them, “If I were to ask the other guard which door leads to Paradise which Door would he choose?” No matter which door is picked choose the other door, because if it’s the guy who lies, he’ll tell you the wrong door (because the the guy who tells the truth would tell you the right door to Paradise), and the guy who tells the truth will tell you the wrong door as well (because he would tell what door the guy who’s lying would pick)[/spoiler]

Took me a while to get this one to work. I had to stare at the flashing light at the mouth of the tunnel.

These word pairs are not in relation to each other, but if you find their synonyms, the two words will rhyme.

Example : Over-sized Feline = Fat Cat

Kiss Dog
Funny Cat
Movie Monster
Unusual Rabbit
Copper Teapot
Wedding Limo
Untamed Minor

Answers –

Smooch Pooch
Witty Kitty
Feature Creature
Rare Hare
Metal Kettle
Marriage Carriage
Wild Child

The following phrases are colloquialisms, idioms or proverbs that are written in their literal, and rather complicated form. Can you uncover their true meanings and solve this teaser?

Example: “Don’t place the two wheeled vehicle in a position preceding the equine mammal,” is the proverb “Don’t put the cart before the horse.”

1. Positive aesthetic appeal is solely the equivalent of the thickness of the epidermis.

2. The ground covering of slender leaved plants is always a more vibrant hue of a common secondary color in the proximity of the opposite surface of a structure serving as a boundary.

3. Produce the sound of sharp tapping by striking blows to a processed piece of secondary xylem from a large perennial plant.

4. The gyre that emanates shrill sounds receives the viscous lubricant.

Answers –

1. Beauty is only skin deep.
2. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
3. Knock on wood.
4. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

1. Beauty is only skin deep.
2. The grass is always greener on the other side.
3. Knock on wood.
4. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You are absolutely correct!

When you curtail a word, you remove the last letter and still have a valid word. You will be given clues for the two words, longer word first.

Example: Begin -> Heavenly body
Answer: The words are Start and Star.

1. Measuring stick -> Law
  2. Prophet; visionary -> To perceive
  3. Rip; pull apart -> Beverage
  4. Topic; anything with mass and volume -> Not glossy; flat
  5. Moon depression -> Large box
  6. One who digs for ore -> Belonging to me
  7. Police person -> Place of work
  8. Vocalist -> Scorch; burn superficially

Answers -

1. Ruler -> Rule
2. Seer -> See
3. Tear -> Tea
4. Matter -> Matte
5. Crater -> Crate
6. Miner -> Mine
7. Officer -> Office
8. Singer -> Singe

1. ruler - rule
2. seer - see
3. tear - tea
4. matter - matte
5. crater - crate
6. miner - mine
7. officer - office
8. singer - singe

That’s right!

My front gate…

I suppose no one ever comes to visit you! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: They would never get in!

either a huge watch or people could just step over the gate. :laugh:

Bet that’s one of them optical illusions things made to trick our minds. Like those sidewalk chalk art that if you look at it the right way, it seems like it’s 3D.

First Day of Summer Anagrams

1. smite me rum = [1 word]
  2. oh cabana evict = [2 words]
  3. inns hues = [1 word]
  4. longer sink = [1 word]
  5. i ink no biases = [2 words]
  6. cabin skeptic = [2 words]
  7. mum scamper = [2 words]
  8. ale blabs = [1 word]
  9. and ginger = [1 word]
  10. rafter marks em = [2 words]

Answers –

1) summertime
2) beach vacation
3) sunshine
4) snorkeling
5) bikini season
6) picnic basket
7) summer camp
8) baseball
9) gardening
10) farmers market

1. summertime
3. sunshine

:pinch: tough

1. summertime
2. beach action (?)
3. sunshine
4. snorkeling
5. bikini season
6. picnic basket
7. summer camp
8. baseball
9. gardening
10. farmers market

AHA!

[spoiler]2. beach vacation

all i could see in this one no matter how many times i looked at it before was “bacon”, but bacon isnt just for summer.[/spoiler]

man this was really tough.