Brighter Than the Dawning Blue / Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na -Crescent Love-

Episode 7 –

spoiler

Things have gotten very awkward between Feena and Tatsuya and Feena decides to move to the embassy, using her duties as an excuse, but promises to return to the house at some point. She tells Mia to remain at the house and when Mia tries to give her the mug to take with her, Feena refuses it. This was so sad to see.

Tatsuya seems very distracted without Feena around and must really miss her. Feena seems to be having the same problems and missing Tatsuya as well. But how can she think of him as a “trivial matter”? I think Sayaka and Karen are starting to feel badly about pulling Tatsuya and Feena apart.

After a week, Feena returns home to get some clothes, but once Feena and Tatsuya come face to face again, I think they both realize how they feel about each other. Unfortunately, there’s a surprise waiting inside the house – Sir Jurgen von Kruger, the captain of the personal guard and Feena’s finance! Tatsuya seems very nervous after Jurgen takes his leave and Feena explains that she is opposed to the match and had told her father so several times.

The House of Kruger are the greatest anti-Earth opponents and with power second only to the royal family, they carry a lot of weight. Jurgen wants Feena to give up her dream of co-existing with Earth for the good of her people and Feena seems to feel guilty about imposing her will on her people. I think Jurgen is an arrogant idiot.

Tatsuya is still struggling with his feelings and tells Natsuki about the first time he and Feena met. Natsuki clarifies things by telling Tatsuya that he’s in love with Feena and Tatsuya seems surprised to hear this. What did he think he was feeling? Now that he’s sure of his feelings towards Feena and can finally admit it, he rushes to the embassy.

Tatsuya confronts Karen about Jurgen and his politics and says that he is determined to help Feena make her dream come true. He tells Karen that he wants to “walk the same road as Feena” and she tells Tatsuya where Feena is. He finds her in the park on the same bench where he met her the first time. Feena tearfully tells Tatsuya that she will give up her dream of co-existing with Earth for her people, since it’s what they want. However, Tatsuya won’t let her run away or give up but tells her that they can handle any hardships together. Then Tatsuya tells Feena he loves her! Finally!

Episode 7

spoiler

Was wondering when Tatsuya would finally say it. Gotta say, I saw what Jurgen would end up like a mile away, when dealing with Royalty there will always be the stereotypical @$$ of a king/prince. And what a way to end an episode, right when it finally gets to a climax, lol. Curse you cliffhangers!

Episode 8 –

spoiler

Tatsuya is determined to prove his worthiness to Feena so he can stand beside her and make their dreams come true together. He says that he wants to be with her no matter what and puts his hand out to her. Feena hesitates, but it’s really sweet when she takes his hand. By doing so, I think she’s also confirming her feelings for Tatsuya without really saying anything to him.

They speak with Karen and ask for her blessing, but Karen feels that she isn’t qualified to approve their relationship. Feena states that Karen was her mother and father’s trusted subject and she’s also the only one that can now mediate with her father on their behalf. Karen tells her that the people of the Moon will never accept an Earthling as Feena’s fiancé with things as they are now and the people may also lose faith in the royal family which would cause a ripple effect. Since Feena and Tatsuya had not considered this and are not prepared for it, Karen cannot approve of their relationship.

Feena feels defeated by Karen’s flat refusal to support them but Tatsuya takes her hand and declares he can overcome any challenge if Feena is by his side. Karen decides to test his resolve and says that he will have to defeat Feena in a Kendo match and if Tatsuya wins, Karen will support them. Feena protests that Tatsuya isn’t skilled enough to fight, but Karen won’t change her mind and Tatsuya accepts her terms.

Tatsuya and Feena practice together, but her heart isn’t in it. Takano was watching and offers to help Tatsuya. Tatsuya accepts and they go away for a few days to train. Feena does not look happy and I wonder if she’s having second thoughts. She later finds out that Sayaka has resigned from her job and I think she feels guilty for upsetting the lives of people she cares about. Feena later confides to Natsuki and Natsuki tells her that she is just “overthinking” things. She encourages Feena, telling her that things will work out and the same thing happens at school when Midori says that everyone there is happy for her and Tatsuya. When Feena meets with the president of Earth, even she expresses her happiness for them and tells Feena that she is just like her mother, but far more serious. It was also nice of the president to refuse Sayaka’s resignation too.

Feena thinks of all the people counting on her and is finally ready to fight Tatsuya to the best of her ability. Karen announces the day and time of the match and that she will decide the victor. Tatsuya is happy to see Feena so determined and as Feena attacks him, he is able to block her each and every time. Tatsuya finally sees an opening and attacks Feena, but she sidesteps as she did during their practice together. However, this time she doesn’t hesitate to strike him and Karen declares her the winner. Karen then asks them if they will abandon their plans, but both Feena and Tatsuya are more determined than ever to stay together. So, Karen pledges them her support, saying that they both passed the test and she believes that together, Feena and Tatsuya “can usher in a prosperous future for both the Earth and the Moon.”

Feena and Tatsuya walk home together, holding hands and talk about the beauty of the “bright blue of dawn”. However, when they are about to kiss, Takano pops up as well as Mia, Natsuki, Jin, Mai along with Takano’s assistant. Takano’s picture was ruined by Mai talking in her sleep, yet all of them waited there all night to see Takano’s promised “something good”. But since they are now discovered and the moment is ruined, they take Takano’s advice and “clear out in three seconds”. Once Feena and Tatsuya are alone again, Feena finally tells Tatsuya she loves him too – it took her long enough! But watching this sweet scene from above is Wreathlit and the voice is telling her that she can’t wait any longer. She does resemble Golden Darkness an awful lot and I wonder now if she is some kind of assassin too.

Episode 9 –

spoiler

Feena and Tatsuya are really happy now and look it. They are even going on their first date together and Takano is actually going to leave them alone for a change. Meanwhile, Karen is on the Moon, meeting with the king to tell him about Feena and Tatsuya. Naturally, he is displeased and says that Feena already has a fiancé, but Karen says that Jurgen isn’t a good match for Feena. Jurgen interrupts the audience at this exact moment and Karen leaves while Jurgen continues speaking with the king. Jurgen requests that the king not take any action against Karen, but suddenly Karen is accused of treason and I’m sure Jurgen is behind it.

Feena and Tatsuya are still on their date, but Wreathlit is watching them. Feena and Tatsuya speak of the coming of winter and although they speak of their first meeting in the snow, the talk of winter still seems foreboding, since winter is a time many associate with death and I wonder if their relationship might be forced to “die”. Once again, their kiss is interrupted, this time by Wreathlit who tries to kill Tatsuya. Now I’m sure she’s an assassin!

Her appearance changes and she tells Feena and Tatsuya that she doesn’t approve of their relationship and has been watching them for a long time. Tatsuya asks why she would observe them and says that he will not break up with Feena, so Wreathlit says that she must “dispose” of him. She attacks again, telling Feena that she won’t be hurt and that her only goal is to kill Tatsuya. Feena says that she won’t leave Tatsuya and goes to him. As they leave the area, Feena says that Wreathlit is probably a assassin from the Moon and I get the feeling that maybe Jurgen is somehow involved. However, Tatsuya can’t believe that Wreathlit is an assassin and would actually hurt anyone, but then he is attacked again.

Tatsuya tells Feena to run, but she insists they will face this together. Once he sees the state Feena is in, he calls for Wreathlit to appear. She does, but tells them that she is not Wreathlit, but Fiacca, and has only “borrowed” Wreathlit’s body. She tells them of the last war between the Earth and the Moon and that people have forgotten the sorrow and torment it created and are bound to repeat the same mistake. Fiacca says that she can’t forget and that she’s a “manifestation, born of the hearts of those who suffered in the war” and her mission is to stop conflict before it starts.

However, she also says some curious things as well. Fiacca states that “a princess of the Moon and an Earthling have reformed their bond” and she is probably talking about Feena and Tatsuya first meeting as children, but I also wonder if she might be talking about their parents as well. Especially when Fiacca says – “And I allow neither to grow close to the other again!” I still think that Tatsuya’s father and Feena’s mother may have had some kind of relationship that was disapproved of as well.

Tatsuya says that he wouldn’t start a war, but Fiacca says that it will happen and she must prevent it. Feena disagrees with her and wants the people of the Moon and the Earth to get to know each other and lose their desire for war. Fiacca calls it “idealism” but Feena stands up for her beliefs and appeals to Wreathlit, asking her if she really wants to kill Tatsuya. Fiacca tells Wreathlit not to get confused and that conflict results when people grow close and Feena says that such things can be overcome. Tatsuya agrees and tells Fiacca that she’s wrong; peace is attained when people work together to move forward.

Fiacca then attacks both Feena and Tatsuya and Tatsuya gets knocked out. Fiacca approaches him while Feena calls his name, trying to wake him and begging Fiacca not to kill him. But Fiacca is determined to fulfill her mission when Wreathlit speaks to her and asks her if she will “keep being sad forever”. Wreathlit tells Fiacca that she believes in Feena and Tatsuya and their dream. The words must have affected Fiacca because she purposely misses Tatsuya and says she will grant them a reprieve.

Feena runs to Tatsuya as he begins to come to and Fiacca tells Feena that Karen has been taken into custody on the Moon because of them. She says that the Earth and the Moon are on the verge of either peace or war and reminds Feena that her mission is to prevent war. Fiacca then turns back into Wreathlit who apologizes to her and runs away. Feena won’t let anything happen to Tatsuya and so she decides that she will go. The story is still very much like Romeo and Juliet and I hope it doesn’t end up as tragic.

Episode 10 –

spoiler

Feena and Mia return to the Moon and are met by Jurgen. Feena tells him that she has urgent business with her father and leaves. Jurgen can see a new strength in her and tells his subordinate to “speed up” the project.

When Feena sees her father, he seems unaware that Karen was arrested. Feena states her case regarding Tatsuya and says that she will have no other. Her speech reminds Lyones of Sefiria and he tells her that love may not be enough. It turns out that he was once a commoner too and some people didn’t like his marriage to the princess and attempts were made on his life. Sefiria overexerted herself with relations between the Earth and the Moon and the strain was too much for her. Lyones blames himself for her dying so young and doesn’t want Feena to suffer the same way. He sends her to her room to rest and think things over.

Once alone, Lyones remembers Sefiria and their early relationship. Chiharu is there and so is Mr. Takano with a very different assistant, although he does resemble his current assistant. Chiharu can see that Lyones really likes Sefiria and encourages him to pursue her, but Lyones says he isn’t royalty. Chiharu says it doesn’t matter and that it shouldn’t stop him. Lyones takes his advice and now back in the present, wonders who that man was and what became of him.

Jurgen enters the room to tell the king that Karen has escaped and the Lyones reprimands him for not reporting her arrest in the first place. Although, it looks like Karen is going to get Tatsuya, it seems like a perfect chance for Jurgen to denounce her as covertly working with the Earth. I can see that he is trying to keep the Earth and the Moon at odds with each other and really has the king wrapped around his little finger. He even gets Lyones to place his daughter in custody. Lyones should really stop living in the past so much; he needs to wake up and see what’s happening in his kingdom. Leaving others to run things without checking the facts himself is putting his throne in danger and leaving himself open to manipulation.

The Earth receives a formal complaint from the Moon regarding Feena’s homestay and makes accusations of conspiracy. The president knows the charges are ridiculous but doesn’t want to repeat any mistakes of the past. Sayaka asks for a little more time, saying that Jurgen doesn’t have any real authority, and the president agrees.

Natsuki visits Tatsuya to find him sitting alone in the dark. He’s angry that Feena left on her own and didn’t listen to anything he said. He wanted her to rely on him and he wanted them to fight together. Tatsuya now feels weak and powerless. Karen shows up and agrees with him, but also tells him that together, he and Feena are stronger and can overcome anything. Karen feels that Tatsuya and Feena must face the king together and plead their case. She also tells him that she is now considered a traitor but asks Tatsuya to go with her anyway. Tatsuya gladly accepts and tells a worried Natsuki and Mai that he’ll return with Feena for an engagement party. Everyone sees him off; Wreath and Fiacca are watching and decide to observe. Back on the Moon, a hopeful Feena stares at the Earth from her window as Karen and Tatsuya take off and head towards the Moon.

Episode 11 –

spoiler

Karen and Tatsuya finally make it to the Moon, but still have a long way to go. Jurgen is pushing the Earth and the Moon towards war with his actions. The king’s council is interrupted by a messenger announcing that Karen is back and is requesting an audience with the king. Lyones would grant her request, but Jurgen says she should be shot down. The king refuses and Jurgen then suggests turning her back to Earth. The king gives in to this and orders that Karen is not to be killed, but of course Jurgen is planning just that.

Karen’s ship is attacked and the noise reaches Feena in her room. She knows it must be Karen and Tatsuya and she worries for them. Other Moon residents also see the firefight and don’t know what to make of it. Despite the welcome, someone manages to open a dock for them and it looks like Mia. Karen lands and gives Tatsuya a non-lethal weapon to protect himself with.

Lyones decides to handle the situation diplomatically, but I don’t think that will work for Jurgen and he pushes the king into a corner with another idea of his. Back on Earth, Mai is really worried about her brother. Then the story breaks about Karen being a traitor and that she has an Earthling with her, identified as being Tatsuya. Natsuki comforts Mai and tells her that things will be ok.

Feena knows that Jurgen is plotting something and refuses to give in to his request, saying instead that she will tell her father that she shares in Karen’s and Tatsuya’s crime. But Jurgen will not let her see her father and tells her that the Earth and the Moon will never be at peace. He locks her in her room, but Mr. Takano is her ace in the hole. He drops form the ceiling and gives Feena a sword that can cut through her locked door. Karen and Tatsuya get past some more guards and the observing Wreathlit wishes them well.

Jurgen tells Lyones that he wants to launch the fleet and show the Earth their true power and the king mistakenly believes that the fleet will not attack. The President of Earth is aware that the Moon’s fleet is lining up along their border, but orders her own fleet not to open fire. As the two fleets face each other, Tatsuya faces Feena and tweaks her nose, finally just happy to see her again. It really does look like an all out war as Tatsuya and Feena prepare to face the king together and try to put a stop to things. This is getting very exciting!

so

spoiler

It looks like they started to go for the tragic ending, then decided to Spock their way out of it. (Star Trek II-III-IV reference). Keep the hankies handy, you won’t know whether to be sad or happy but either way you’ll need them.

Yeah,

spoiler

They did go from Tragic to a bit Cheesy. It was nice to see Karen actually had some forces available to stop the coup detat. The whole time I was wondering does the king not have a single loyal soldier nor a secret service group to prevent this kind of thing? Such a government kinda deserves it. I thought it was a bit cheap that Jurgen managed to do what he did, but the tragic ending was unexpected and definitely different. But at the same time, I was wondering what ever did happen to the whole father story, and well that got answered and the show became a bit cheesy. Still fun to watch, and the brother does not deserve that treatment.

I must agree…

spoiler

this was a classic case of Deus ex machina. I can’t tell if they did it intentionally or just painted themselves into a corner and needed a convenient out. There were some good parts of the episode, however-being able to broadcast Jurgen’s treachery for all to see and Karen’s last minute rescue. It was also good to see that Miss Fiacca and Wreathlit could find peace.

If anyone was confused about the pointless shot of the chopped cabbage, it is to show that they fixed the Cabbage scene.

See also Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro Na on TvTropes.org.

-Joe

Last episode

spoiler

They did give hints about the aliens in previous episodes so it did not bother me to much. I did like Karen’s strike team. Overall I liked the series.

Episode 12 –

spoiler

Holding hands, Feena and Tatsuya confront the King and a very wise Takano broadcasts it to both the Earth and the Moon. They beg the King to re-establish relations with the Earth and Feena reminds him not “to let the anger of the past deny the future”. She tells her father that she’d like to see a wonderful future for both planets and fulfill her mother’s dream.

Jurgen interrupts them with his plan for a different kind of peace. He plans to destroy the Earth and reveals a secret weapon that is capable of doing just that. His soldiers enter and everyone is held at gunpoint. Takano steps forward and lets Jurgen know that his treachery has been broadcast to the entire populations of the Earth and the Moon. Karen arrives with her elite female squad and arrests all of the traitors involved in Jurgen’s plot.

Before Jurgen is removed from the room, Karen tells him that his secret weapon has been disarmed. As Jurgen is led from the room, he manages to attack his guards and get hold of a gun. Saying that he will be King, he points it at Feena and her father and pulls the trigger, but Tatsuya jumps in front of Feena to protect her and takes the shot himself. Jurgen is quickly subdued and yay to Karen for giving him that punch in the stomach!

Feena runs to Tatsuya and it looks like his promise of giving his life for hers may come to pass. Two worlds watch in shock as his lifeless hand slips from hers. Feena cries over his body and others weep as well. The King says that he had hoped to protect her from such sadness. And then he is notified that a large craft has appeared between the forces of the Earth and the Moon.

A golden light shoots from the craft and is aimed towards the palace. The light touches Tatsuya and his fatal wound disappears. He opens his eyes to find Feena crying over him and asks her why. As Tatsuya apologizes for making her worry, Chiharu beams into the room, surprising everyone. It turns out that he was abducted by aliens while exploring and took the chance to get to know them.

The King recognizes him and Chiharu tells him that they intercepted their transmissions and thought they’d come for a visit. He tells Lyones that he’s become a “first-rate” king and that Tatsuya is “quite the catch”. The King is still unsure and at that moment, Feena’s brooch falls to the floor and her mother’s message is finally revealed. Sefiria encourages Feena and her intended to be as happy as she and Lyones were.

That does it for the King; he recalls his fleet and orders diplomatic relations be reopened with the Earth. All of this is still being broadcast and the populations of both worlds cheer at the end to hostilities. Wreathlit is watching as well and Fiacca tells her that “the curse of the past has been broken”. She leaves Wreathlit’s body for good and I’m glad that that Fiacca was finally able to find peace.

Some time later, a crowd is gathered at a stadium. Takano is still recording events, but his “staff” now has a name – Nishioka – (when did he get so buff?) and is now a boss as well with a staff of his own. Wreathlit is just an ordinary girl now and a friend of the family. It looks like Lyones and Chiharu have renewed their friendship too. Samon’s wife has returned from studying cooking and I can see where Natsuki gets her skills from as her mother paddles Jin across the stadium and into the aliens. Poor Jin! His debt is now past three million and I doubt that he’ll ever be able to work that off.

This is a gathering for a wedding and the bride and groom finally make their appearance. It’s an older Feena and Tatsuya! The cheering crowd includes more than just one alien species, so perhaps Feena’s dream of coexistence has spread throughout the galaxy. Feena and Tatsuya are very happy and it was sweet to see Tatsuya tweak Feena’s nose and she tweaks his now too. And we finally get to see them kiss!

It’s funny that the stadium is in the shape of an engagement ring and is suspended between the Earth and the Moon, but joining them together. The end credits were a nice recap of Feena’s and Tatsuya’s story. It was a sweet ending to a nice show. I enjoyed this one a lot and I’m glad it didn’t end up like Romeo and Juliet.

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, Ep 1, is live at HIDIVE

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, Ep 2, is live at HIDIVE

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, Ep 3, is live at HIDIVE

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, Ep 4, is live at HIDIVE

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, Ep 5, is live at HIDIVE

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, Ep 6, is live at HIDIVE

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, Ep 7, is live at HIDIVE

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, Ep 8, is live at HIDIVE