Can we please get new Online player software? Q.Q

Eh, that might be some of it, but that can’t explain the buffer problems. BTW, I have a recent gaming video card from ATI. I can play new games without problems.

EDIT: Do you mean Anime News Network? Their player gives me no problems (tested on Chrome).

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration?

right click on the player > click settings > uncheck the “enable hardware acceleration” box

It might work. That’s the last idea I have.

MrBoomba wrote:

[quote]I’ve used the JW Player on other sites with no problems, as a matter of fact it gives me a buffer bar on other sites, where it does not on here.

P.S. I don’t even know how to navigate ANN to find any videos to watch so I wouldn’t be able to tell you if I do or do not have issues with it.[/quote]

That’s a good point about the buffer bar. I’ve always wondered why this player doesn’t have one. Did AN change the player to suit their own desires?

Bebop4Ever wrote:

[quote]MrBoomba wrote:

[quote]I’ve used the JW Player on other sites with no problems, as a matter of fact it gives me a buffer bar on other sites, where it does not on here.

P.S. I don’t even know how to navigate ANN to find any videos to watch so I wouldn’t be able to tell you if I do or do not have issues with it.[/quote]

That’s a good point about the buffer bar. I’ve always wondered why this player doesn’t have one. Did AN change the player to suit their own desires?[/quote]

I’m not quite sure what desires would be filled in this particular situation…?

Inphy wrote:

[quote]Bebop4Ever wrote:

That’s a good point about the buffer bar. I’ve always wondered why this player doesn’t have one. Did AN change the player to suit their own desires?

I’m not quite sure what desires would be filled in this particular situation…?[/quote]

Neither am I. :slight_smile:

In any case, that’s what the problems thread is for. They can’t improve the player in the future if they don’t know exactly what is wrong (which is why they ask for all that information on the front post.) If problems like this persist for a majority of the users, and there’s no available quick-fix, then they put’em up on the drawing board.

Saying “it doesn’t work” and then expect it to be “fixed” wont help.

spazzysam wrote:

[quote][size=4]Having a problem watching a show in the Online Player? Tell us here! [/size]

When reporting a problem we need some specific information:

• Show Title(s)
    • Episode Number(s)

• Language (if avail. in both Sub & Dub)

• Video Format (SD or HD)

• OS & Version

• Browser & Version

• Flash Player Version

• Type of Internet Connection (Cable, DSL, WiFi…)

• Connection Speed

• Date/Time when problem occurred or Range of time you’ve been experiencing this issue

• Detailed description of the problem you are experiencing

The more specific and detailed your report is, the better we can troubleshoot your issue.

If you are having trouble with smooth streaming, we highly encourage you to run several connection speed tests & post the results here. Try http://www.speedtest.net/ or a similar service.

Finally, it is very important for you to let us know if the problem persists or gets resolved.[/quote]

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,5/func,view/id,39967/

Every report is important, and when it’s kept to that thread, it’s a lot easier to sift through.

Again:

If the problem can’t be fixed immediately, it’s still definitely worth mentioning in the official thread.

MrBoomba wrote:

It’s on the top right where you see encyclopedia/news/etc… It says video, click that and go to anime.
Also, before I got cable, I had DSL. I always had problems with the old player with my DSL. It would stop all the time, and it sucked.
Slick

Hornet65 wrote:

I have had similar problems - they started on the day that TAN switched to using jwplayer.

Problem 1: Switching to or from fullscreen would fail more often than not if the player was not paused at the time of the switch.
Workaround: Using Chrome instead of Firefox for playing videos has a lot fewer problems. (I haven’t had this particular problem for many months.)

Problem 2: Startup takes 16 to 18 seconds.
This is the time from when the “(jwplayer)” logo first appears and when the video starts.

Problem 3: Jump to middle of episode takes 16 seconds.
The frame at the time of clicking remains for 8 seconds before it is replaced with a new image. That new image stays paused for 8 to 10 seconds before the video resumes.
Retest: 2 seconds to get new image, but still 8 seconds before resuming.

Problem 4: Skipping back by one minute takes 27 seconds.
Old frame is shown for 17 seconds, then there is another 10 seconds before the video resumes.

Tonight’s speed test is particularly bad; from server in LA to Comcast in San Francisco Bay Area = 5 Mb up and 2.7 down. It is usually 17 and 3.

Inphy wrote:

Well, requests to replace the current player with one that does buffering (like YouTube, Hulu, Crunchyroll, etc, etc) doesn’t really fit with the problem-reports thread.

-Joe

While we’re on the subject, does anyone know of a Flash player with a TiVo-like interface?

Wanted:

JumpBack and SkipForward buttons that move 8 seconds and 30 seconds respectively, not -10% and +10% like YouTube (which is 12 minutes on a 2-hour video).
FrameAdvance (frame-by-frame forward, and whatever is do-able in reverse).
FastForward x1, x2, x3 and ScanBack x1, x2, x3.

I said it earlier, but have you tried disabling hardware acceleration? All you have to do is:
Right click the player, and click settings
There should be a box checked off that says “enable hardware acceleration” or something like that.
Uncheck that box, and see if that makes a difference.

Hornet65 wrote:

[quote]Right click the player, and click settings
There should be a box checked off that says “Enable hardware acceleration”.
Uncheck that box, and see if that makes a difference.[/quote]

It does make a difference!
Now it’s more like 2+2 seconds instead of 8+8.

SpaceCobraJoe wrote:

Update 12/02: http://twitter.com/#!/TheAnimeNetwork/statuses/10489052960657408

scottfrye - Scott Frye
TAN (@TheAnimeNetwork) makes anime painful to watch on their site. the video player they use is crap

@TheAnimeNetwork - TheAnimeNetwork
@scottfrye We’ll be upgrading soon, first upgrade will address your issue.
23 hours ago via TweetDeck

I too am having issues with this video player. No other sites with flash like hulu, animenewsnetwork, etc, I have issues with. I want to subscribe but at this rate it won’t be worth it if the video keeps lagging and pausing.

I can assure everyone that my desktop specs are more than enough to deal with this. I have win7 x64 and I can run almost any game (crysis etc) on this desktop.

Sounds like the same problem I have when at a hotel, on the road (wi-fi card), or at different peoples houses. Same laptop btw just different internet connections/hubs/routers/modems etc. Not all internet connections are 100% stable 100% of the time. So the fact that no buffering happens for the video makes the stability of the player go down which is what it sounds like your having issues with. The quality is there you still good your can hear the audio unpaused or uncut through out the show (which is by far the lowest incoming bit rate) but your video hangs, pauses, is choppy etc. etc. I hate to break it to ya but there is no possible way to fix the stability of a player on the client side. It can only be address on the server/providers end. You can complain all you want to your ISP but it won’t do you any good you’ll just get handled like the rest of the people and I quote.

“please power down your PC, unplug your modem from your router or PC, please unplug your modem from the wall, wait about 5 or 10 seconds then plug in the modem. Wait a couple of minutes then plug modem back into the PC or router then power your PC back on”

In other words a basic power cycle of the modem. All electronics need this every once and a while from your TV to a Cell phone. You are basically getting handle to calm you down an make you feel like your doing something to fix the issue. in reality nothing got fixed.

Personally I don’t understand why AN doesn’t having they’re players set up to buffer like youtube, Hulu,VuDu, netflix, or any other video streaming website its kinda confusing. Unless its to help with they’re transfer rates. But if ya think about it buffering would actually improve those rates lol so I don’t know.

Oh and btw getting your bandwidth tested at Speedtest.net only tells you what your bandwidth is between that server and your system. unless AN becomes a host and tells its users where they’re servers are located then you won’t know what your bandwidth would be between them and you. If you do bandwidth tests on various servers on speedtest.net you’ll see what I’m talk’n about. Each host will be different being that your connection is routed through various hubs, nods, and switches before it gets to each of them and each connection route is different and also has other users utilizing it. Ping testing you can do with out the help of Speedtest.net on your own system with the IP addresses you can also get through your own system.

On another not SD is usually 38kbps - 2448kbps HD is usually 1544kbps - 8086kbps varies due to different audio tracks/data and image changes depending on the codec they are using with JW/adobe flash player to stream. But heh you’d have to talk to one of they’re techs for the exact information and as to why they aren’t allowing buffering lol.

Another thought is they’re servers can’t handle the stress load that buffereing would put on them due to memory issues. but thats just a shot in the dark.