Computers & Technology


#1

Well, since nobody else is probably gonna make it. That and how I was the one constantly posting in it :side:

So, here is the new discussion thread for Computers and technology related… stuff. Go nuts.


#2

God, I must have just spent a good hour and a half writing a post on this. Didn’t even think of the fact that I probably wasn’t logged in anymore and lost all of what I typed.

In summary of what I wanted to say, I posted these two articles while briefly sharing my opinion on their contents:
http://tinyurl.com/dlqhmw
Mostly I just found this hilarious. It’s the first major virus that I’ve really heard about on the Mac, which means their growing market share is finally starting to catch up with them. Especially after I got mobbed by Mac users the other day, where they showered with me with arguments about how Macs are better. I’m sorry I share a different opinion, and that I don’t make decisions on where I might invest 100s-thousands of dollars based on the trendiness of the system.
http://tinyurl.com/dn6gkl
This I’m offended by, because I think this is an insult to a free market and a corruption of government. Instead of watching out for conditions and interests of the citizens, it seems their state senate is more concerned with the dominance of nation-wide chains.

Recently bought an external HDD. It was nice, had a 640gb (effectively 592) capacity, which is about double that of my internal HDD. Though, even more recently, it died on me. I plug it in, and it spins for about 3-4 seconds, and then it shuts off again. No matter how I do it keeps turning off. This is extremely disappointing. Does anyone have experience with Newegg’s RMA system? I wanted to get a refund for it, even though there’s a 15% restocking fee. I’d rather get a reliable HDD, with an external enclosure now instead of just going with what looked like a good deal at the time.

Eh, guess I’ll explain my recent adventures into Linux later, I don’t feel like retyping all of that again…


#3

Skanks wrote:

[quote]http://tinyurl.com/dn6gkl
This I’m offended by, because I think this is an insult to a free market and a corruption of government. Instead of watching out for conditions and interests of the citizens, it seems their state senate is more concerned with the dominance of nation-wide chains.


#4

Two points.

First, I’m very jealous of those guys and their great connection speeds.

Second, What a dumb thing to do, if those big companies just ignored the town, or better yet made an effort to be competitive it would have all gone by unnoticed but by making a fuss they’re just encouraging other towns to follow that fantastic example and making themselves look bad.


#5

I’m a bit annoyed at apple. I’ve been doing some research on getting a laptop, and I’ve compared the plastic MacBook White to the new aluminum MacBook. I only found a couple differences. It comes with a slightly bigger HD (120 for old and 160 for new if I remember correctly), is .5 lbs lighter and has a half an hour longer battery life. Also, I think it has 1 more usb port, but that is because the new one dropped the FireWire port, which annoys me because I like video editing and that is usually firewire based. And to top it all off, the new MacBook is $300 more than the old one. With basically the same performance and specs.

Apple, I love you, but is an aluminum body really worth $300 extra?


#6

Kodama said:
First, I’m very jealous of those guys and their great connection speeds.

Second, What a dumb thing to do, if those big companies just ignored the town, or better yet made an effort to be competitive it would have all gone by unnoticed but by making a fuss they’re just encouraging other towns to follow that fantastic example and making themselves look bad.

I’d give my left nut for those speeds, especially since they pay way less than we do.

Honestly, I’m almost feeling like writing up a proposal to my city government, and seeing if maybe we could get something like that. Seriously, the dominate cable provider puts a recockulous cap on our bandwidth. I don’t dare game online very often, that could mean a $300 overage charge!

Zaku said:
I’m a bit annoyed at apple. I’ve been doing some research on getting a laptop, and I’ve compared the plastic MacBook White to the new aluminum MacBook. I only found a couple differences. It comes with a slightly bigger HD (120 for old and 160 for new if I remember correctly), is .5 lbs lighter and has a half an hour longer battery life. Also, I think it has 1 more usb port, but that is because the new one dropped the FireWire port, which annoys me because I like video editing and that is usually firewire based. And to top it all off, the new MacBook is $300 more than the old one. With basically the same performance and specs.

That’s the generation gap for you, and how crazy trendy Macs are. They can set just about any price on those things, and no one is going to notice. Though, there first quarter profits from computer sales were considerably lower compared to the same time last year. The only thing that allowed them to experience any growth at all was the iphone. I think the iphone alone is what gave them a 17% (don’t quote me on that number) boost to their stock. I’m probably wrong, but I remember it being much more than I expected. Apparently the computers that sold anything notable was the Mac Mini and the $999 Mactop.


#7

Why did it post my incomplete post before I was finished? What a crappy forum. <__<


#8

Those caps are bullshit. I’m thankful to be in a Comcast area. Comcast seems to not care at all how much bandwidth its users use.

Oh and, regarding the Macs, anyone that knows me will tell you I am not the biggest Apple fan. It isn’t that their products are bad, cause they are not. The reason I dislike them is because of the outlandish pricing on their products. There’s no reason why a Macbook Pro should cost over $2500 base price, give or take. Besides, I’m a PC gamer and Macs aren’t supported by most games. =x The Mac Pros are the real money sinks though. $3000 for the same parts that would cost less than half that to build? No thanks.
So I’ll leave it with this. Congratulations Shak, It’s a PC.

You can’t disable smilies anymore? <___<


#9

You have to realize, these are temp forums, they haven’t had anything besides the basic features enabled.

I thought Comcast did make use a cap, albeit a much larger cap than what I have (40gb). Well, they might just be experimenting with it in a few areas, much like TWC is doing as well. I’d hate to be the city who drew the short straw on that board meeting…


#10

Well, if there is a cap, I have never experienced it. And I use 100s of GB of bandwidth per month in most cases. xD;


#11

Anyone brave enough to play with IE8 yet?

I noticed that MS are pushing it out with Auto Updates.


#12

I have IE8… I’ve had it for about 10 days now.

Not too bad; added a couple of things, but I’m used to it now.


#13

I thought you were banned from downloading or adding any software to your computer whatsoever? :stuck_out_tongue:

I kind of reluctant to add it to any of my PCs, as I use IE 7 as my final fallback if any particularly stubborn websites won’t work with FF or Opera


#14

I’m not the one that downloaded it. My hubby did. :stuck_out_tongue:

He’s in charge of all things computer-oriented.


#15

I only use IE for sites that absolutely won’t work in Firefox or Google Chrome.

As for upgrading, I want to upgrade from IE6 to IE8, but that requires a restart afterwards. I don’t feel like restarting my computer. ;-;


#16

I just spent a day upgrading this with like a year’s worth of updates to IE 7 and the windows on here. There sure are a lot of viruses and trojans going around, my AVG has dumped multiples and stopped some in the act - while I was just looking at a page. I have to figure out what site they’re coming at me from.

It seems like if Spybot finds them first, it always tells me there’s one it can’t delete because it’s in memory and wants to run again on a restart, but if I run it again right away or on the restart it finds nothing.

Meanwhile, there’s one in here that AVG and Spybot haven’t dug up yet that keeps me from accessing just one particular website on IE or Netscape. I went in on the other computer and was able to access the site fine, so I know it’s something in here… but how to find it or get rid of it, I have no idea.


#17

What site can’t you access?


#18

Ya, what site it is? I know the conficker virus blocks you from accessing M$'s site or any computer security sites. Though the conficker virus turned out to be a dud anyway as far as malicious viruses go, still a pain none the less.

My computer just asked me to update to IE8, I respectfully declined. I haven’t even used IE7 since I downloaded that.


#19

Skanks wrote:

[quote]Ya, what site it is? I know the conficker virus blocks you from accessing M$'s site or any computer security sites. Though the conficker virus turned out to be a dud anyway as far as malicious viruses go, still a pain none the less.

My computer just asked me to update to IE8, I respectfully declined. I haven’t even used IE7 since I downloaded that.[/quote]

Funny that you mentioned conficker; that was exactly why I had asked what site.
Conficker was a dud alright, but still would need to be removed from a machine with it.


#20

I kinda figured that that was what you were getting at, I was just building upon your analysis.

Considering it creates something like 2k sites or emails a day, it’s not something I’d want on my computer, I already have to watch my bandwidth as it is.