Computers & Technology

If you need to remove Malwarebytes Antimalware is my current simple solution.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ The free version is reasonable effective.

If your computer is really screwed, combofix is pretty good at stripping out all sorts of rubbish, however it is more for expert users.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

The early news on the forthcoming DX11 compatible GPU from Nvidia seems to paint it as an absolute beast. Iā€™d say take it all with a grain of salt though. Nvidia has a tendency to fail to deliver on these sorts of things recently. Certainly the GT200 cards last year fell short on expectationsā€¦

Itā€™s a social networking site of a sort, I guess, thatā€™s why itā€™s goofy that that siteā€™s blocked. Havenā€™t tried to go to MS since I upgraded all that stuff. I still occasionally get that error in Spybot that it canā€™t remove the one trojan becuase itā€™s in memory, although AVG has alerted me to some trying to drop in on me and Iā€™ve force removed them.

If itā€™s sending stuff out, Iā€™m not seeing it go. AVG and Spybot I keep updated and sometimes they show clean, or maybe pull one trojan out of memory. AVG runs every day. I dunno that it should take hours and scan a bazillion things, but thereā€™s a lot of crap this computer came with pre-installed and I never screwed around to start dumping the things I never use, like the crappy games that you have to pay to play (didnā€™t that shit use to come all free?).

The only site I go to regular lately that I have any real issue with is here - it loads slow sometimes - which I simply presume is related to it all being new and will work out eventually.

Anybody tried Windows 7 RC yet?

Iā€™ve dl it and just got to get round to installing it.

The Beta seemed to be everything Vista should have been but I didnā€™t use it for long enough to be sure

Kodama wrote:

Iā€™m leery to ever dive headfirst into a new version of Windows. Iā€™ve been looking forward to 7 for a looong time, but stillā€¦ Iā€™ll probably just wait until I see some reviews for it.

Pussy. :wink:

If youā€™ve got a spare HDD, just throw that in your case and install it on that.

That way you get to play with the new OS and keep your PC shiny too. I didnā€™t trust 7 to be happy dual booting, thatā€™s why I used a 2nd HDD.

Nah, I already know that there are no problems dual-booting with 7. Extra hard drives might be an option. Iā€™ll have to check the requirements though. Hopefully 7 isnā€™t as resource hungry as Vista is.

Edit: Jesus fockā€¦

Why so damn much space to install? <___<

Iā€™ve actually heard nothing but good things, and the bad things I actually did hear were from some of the initial beta releases.

Iā€™ve been thinking about picking up the RC release since Iā€™ve been wanting to reinstall recently anyway. But the external I just bought crapped out on me, so I have no way to backup my information unless I want to use a crap ton of DVDs. I registered the RMA a night or two ago, I just need time to collect everything and send it.

Correction, downloading it right now, Iā€™ll probably just put it on my old Linux partition since itā€™s wasting space right now.

Well, I installed it and it works. Thatā€™s all there is to say really.

Apart from that installing on old hardware can be a pain in the arse, you have to dig out the original XP drivers and tell it to use them. They didnā€™t retain XPā€™s vast collection of legacy hardware support

So lately Iā€™ve been mulling over which headphones to get in the ~$100 range.

At first I was pretty well decided on Sennheiser HD555 or 280 Pros, but after investigating more, Iā€™ve changed my mind. Iā€™m, now leaning more towards the Audio-Technica AD700ā€™s.

Iā€™m aware that many people love Gradoā€™s headphones, but Iā€™m turned off of them for several reasons. The foremost of which is that theyā€™re supra-aural rather than circum-aural. I actually love the look, sound and feel of AKG K701ā€™s but I certainly canā€™t afford $250 for headphones at this time. So, as I said, the AT AD700s are almost certainly what Iā€™ll go with.

Hereā€™s what the recommendations from the music/audiophile site that Iā€™m apart of gives on their headphone guide in your price range. Thereā€™s no direct links to the products they recommend, but you do a search for them yourself if youā€™d like:

Iā€™m not that cheap, I just want something value ($50-100)

iem
Denon C351
Creative EP630
Sennheiser CX300
Westone 1
j-jays
Etymotic ER6i
Shure SE110
Denon C551

Full-Size
iGrado
Grado SR60
Grado SR80
Sennheiser HD280
Alessandro MS1
Denon D1000/D1001
Ranges from $50-100, ascending in price

I have some money to spend on headphones and I want something great ($100-200)

iem
Westone 1
D-Jays
Etymotic ER4p
Shure SE210
Denon C700/750/751
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 pro
All these are closer to $150, give or take a bit

Full Size
Audiotechnica AD700
Grado SR125
Grado SR225Beyerdynamic DT770

Skanks wrote:

Head-Fi?

Of course, Iā€™ve been doing a sh*tload of research. Itā€™s what has lead me to believe the AT AD700s would be best for me overall. Of course, it would be great to be able to try headphones out before purchasing, but I donā€™t know of any places where I can do that around me. Though Iā€™m sure thereā€™s got to be something like that in the Metro Detroit/Tri-County areaā€¦

Honestly, my mind also keeps shifting towards the Grados. Problem with that is that if I got the ones I would prefer (sr125i or sr225i) I would need to pick up Gradoā€™s 1/4 to 1/8 converter. Thatā€™s another $15 tacked onto the price. Plus I would want to make them circumaural, which would require the $45 G-Cush pads. Thatā€™s another $60 premium tacked onto the price of the headphones.

On another unrelated note, AMD has started to catch my attention with the Phenom II 955 BE processorā€¦ A very likely candidate for my next buildā€¦

Well, whatever was in my system blocking me is gone. The latest Spybot update wiped out this thing that was giving me a phony ā€œunsafe navigationā€ warning about every three times I went to a new web page, and I checked the other site and I can access it now. Damned malwareā€¦ seems like itā€™s all over the place the last few weeks.

So, has anyone here heard of or tried http://www.lunascape.tv/ web browser? Seems interesting. I might give it a test run later and see how I like it.

Nah, 3 browsers is enough for me. B)

Iā€™m annoyed by ClearType. In fact, I fcking hate it. It looks blurry and just terrible. Apparently Microsoft thinks their ClearType is SO SUPER AWESOME that they decided to force it down our throats in the most recent version of Live Messenger (MSN), IE7 and 8 and AIM 6.0.

Well Iā€™ll tell you what Microsoft. It doesnā€™t look good, it looks blurry and weird. Itā€™s awful and you should feel bad for forcing it.

I learned LONG ago to never update MSN. Ever.

wolfo wrote:

The new MSN is f**king awesome though. It even finally supports animated gif icons. Something other messengers have been able to do for years. My only gripe is the ClearType thing. <__<

I learned LONG ago not to use MSN products.

Skanks wrote: