Computers & Technology

If those 2 teamed up to make a joint streaming venture, that could finally be “the One” to compete with Netflix.

One of my biggest complaints, and from what I gather I’m not alone in this, is the lack of a solid stable of non-Netflix Original content on Netflix. Disney + WB = most all of that content.

…and, frankly, a lot of this “Original Content” created by streaming sites isn’t very good. Worse, Netflix in particular has been releasing so much of it that I’m not even keeping abreast of all of it to be able to find the “diamonds in the rough”.

Nowadays, it almost is easier to just DVR content when it airs, or get the blurays when they release.

2 Likes

October 15, 2018

690-1449546279-8162615-C-boxed

October 15, 2018 at 07:30 JST

October 15, 2018 at 08:00 JST

“Solar power has grown fast on the island of Kyushu, but the unstable output during the day depends on weather patterns and can create a headache for Kyushu Electric to stabilise the grid.”

Years ago, my fam ditched DirecTV because clouds would cause the signal to cut out. I can’t imagine having an entire island’s power grid being crippled by a cloud. :astonished:

the restart of a fourth nuclear reactor

This seems like a much better solution. Barring another freak accident after a tsunami, it’s possibly more eco-friendly too.

1 Like

Kaiji’s Steel Beam Crossing Challenge Is Now a Smartphone App

October 17, 2018 6:05pm CDT
Test your guts and your balance with the personal edition of the terrifying challenge

Oct. 18, 2018 04:00 pm JST

Oct. 19, 2018 04:45 am JST

Oct. 20, 2018 03:15 am JST

October 20, 2018

Ouch, what a bad year to start up in that business.

IMO a nuclear japan is still a solid idea. History (and if I recall, Sentai’s Night Raid 1931) shows that an energy-importer Japan could be a bad call…and it took a freak tsunami and over 40 years to KO the nuke plant, but it seems like Japan’s solar energy grid idea would be KO’d by every cloudy day…

Boosting shipments, like the article says, until the Trade War gets serious in a few months.

I heard one example… Seafood from the U.S. to China is subject to retaliatory tariffs, so demand in China is down.

That seems odd, that seafood would go USA->China, as so much of the seafood I see in stores comes from Chinese fisheries. :question:

The Artificial Life Tech Miyazaki Slammed Will Be Unveiled Thursday

posted on 2018-10-23 15:15 EDT by Lynzee Loveridge

Updated 1:24 PM ET, Tue October 30, 2018

TsukiPro Franchise Reveals Tsukino World App

posted on 2018-11-09 22:36 EST by Crystalyn Hodgkins
Portal app featuring music shop, calendar, daily fortunes to launch in early summer 2019

zzz-life-without-facebook-and-internet-1

3 Likes

I ordered the Amazon Fire Stick last night, anyone used one of those yet?

1 Like

We use a Fire Stick to watch all the stuff on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a few others that I’m too tired to remember. We really like it a lot!

2 Likes

December 3, 2018

December 4, 2018

I like it, it’s a total app machine, but it seems like most of the stuff is Prime and I haven’t got that yet.

1 Like

BTW, what’s the cheapest streaming stick that I can, well, stick into my TV and do Screen Mirroring with?

I’m curious because my pal’s ~1 year old 4K TV is getting finicky and will allow casting but no longer allows for mirroring. Mirroring also doesn’t require an internet connection.

My ancient Roku 2 can do this, but I’m interested in a stick, so I don’t have to worry about a power brick [or having to take my Roku 2 out of my home setup and put it back every time :wink:]

…Mirroring uses Wi-Fi direct, which theoretically could work without being on a wifi network, but do any sticks allow it? I notice on my Roku that, for security, it only seems to mirror with devices on the same wifi.

2 Likes

I don’t know how it works, but I noticed that my Roku allowed my computer to stream from a different WiFi network. Considering that when I noticed this, I couldn’t use Google Cast in the same setup, I wonder how they found each other in the first place?

1 Like

Bandai Namco Establishes Research Institute for Entertainment via AI, Other New Tech

posted on 2018-12-07 05:00 EST by Rafael Antonio Pineda
New institute described as “spinoff” of Bandai Namco Group R&D department