AN Forums

Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

New Zealand?

From what I recall of Bebop, when it wasn’t set in space it was mostly set on “Spaghetti Western meets modern-day Detroit” planets. “Middle Earth” seems like the opposite of all that?

Netflix gave Canon Buster 12 eps but Bebop only gets 10? Maybe that’s generous, since Amazon only gave its “The Boys” 8, but I’ve seen that with live-action, Netflix likes to make 10 bloated,overly-long episodes (over an hour) when 12+ shorter, more focused episodes would’ve been better.

Cowboy Bebop | Behind the Scenes | Netflix

2019-10-18T22:30:00Z

John Cho Talks Playing Spike Spiegel in Live-Action Cowboy Bebop

January 08, 2020 5:47am CST
Lead actor hopes to keep things true to the source material

Netflix’s Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Plans Season 2, Teases Yoko Kanno’s Music

posted on 2020-04-19 03:01 EDT by Egan Loo
Writer/producer Jeff Pinkner updates on production during COVID-19 shutdown

Netflix’s Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Writer Teases Similarities, Changes

posted on 2020-06-03 12:15 EDT by Alex Mateo
Javier Grillo-Marxuach: “If you’re doing Cowboy Bebop, you’re doing Cowboy Bebop.”

Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Allowed to Film Again in New Zealand

posted on 2020-07-03 23:40 EDT by Egan Loo
Crew, family permitted to enter country that is almost free of COVID-19

Netflix’s Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Reveals 6 More Cast Members

posted on 2020-11-19 11:32 EST by Alex Mateo
Geoff Stults, Tamara Tunie, Mason Alexander Park, Rachel House, Ann Truong, Hoa Xuande join cast

“The character is being reimagined as a nonbinary with a nonbinary actor”

Wut?

This seems like a case of modern language making it impossible to understand the nuance of the original series, as if someone tried to describe Gren to the casting director and the director responded “Oh, so Gren is trans?” and ran with it, unappreciative of how that gross oversimplification and pigeonholing completely robs the character of his entire essence.

Also weird is this David Bowie mention, they’re going to reduce him into The Collector from Guardians of the Galaxy, aren’t they? :slightly_frowning_face:

Netflix’s Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Finishes Filming 1st Season

posted on 2021-03-15 14:07 EDT by Alex Mateo
John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda, Alex Hassell, Elena Satine star in series

2021-06-08T16:45:00Z

Netflix’s Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Premieres in Fall with Yoko Kanno as Composer

posted on 2021-06-08 12:54 EDT by Alex Mateo
John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda, Alex Hassell, Elena Satine star in series

1 Like

Netflix’s Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series Reveals First Photos, Premiere Date

August 23, 2021 8:16am CDT
John Cho makes debut as Spike Spiegel globally on November 19

Are these set photos? They don’t seem like actual scenes from the show, they don’t look “cinematic” yet, so I’m suspecting that they are.

Something that I’m wondering about: is there something in the canon that says Jet Black is supposed to be African? I’m still confused by this as I watched the anime series subbed and got the impression that he was just supposed to be another vaguely-Asian character.

Maybe they should’ve left Faye on the sidelines for this one? Her over-the-top sex appeal is a plot point throughout the series, maybe most notably when the bros on the prison planet form a morality militia and call her out on it. Unfortunately, late 1990s sensibilities don’t seem to jibe with those of the Current Year. :cry:

Overall though, it looks better than I expected.

Live-Action Cowboy Bebop’s John Cho is Worried About the Inevitable Comparisons

posted on 2021-08-30 14:45 EDT by Lynzee Loveridge
“…the amount of thought and worry and effort and number of days I’ve logged thinking about Spike is now equaling the fear I have about the reaction.”

1 Like

I kind of wonder sometimes . Why do some of these actors take these roles like this one ?

To me it sounds like a ball of stress that could very well be avoided .
Plus I believe today’s society is to what is the word I’m looking for “Woke?” to really make a live action version of something like Cowboy Bebop work well . Part of the charm of the series is the way all the characters are and sadly I’m afraid it’s pretty much been neutered from being able to work from the start .

1 Like

Can you imaging a live action Dirty Pair?
If Cowboy Bepop is so ‘problematic’ as an anime for today’s ‘woke’ viewers, just imagine Dirty Pair?

3 Likes

I’m not sure how they’re going to handle this, will they just write it out?

Looking at that again makes me question the casting.

No. To be honest, I’m not even sure something far, far tamer like Rizzoli and Isles could be made today. :cry:

1 Like

Heck I’m pretty sure Golden Girls would be to much for today’s audiences . :rofl:

1 Like