Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth - The Animation/Ikoku Meiro no Croisée

Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth - The Animation/Ikoku Meiro no Croisée

Genres: adventure, slice of life
Themes: historical, lolicon
Number of episodes: 12 + OVA
Vintage: 2011-07-03 to 2011-09-18

Plot Summary: In the 19th century, a small Japanese girl named Yune arrives at Paris. She has traveled to France with Oscar Claudel to work at his shop, Enseignes du Roy. There she meets his grandson, Claude Claudel, a blacksmith who makes street signs for stores. Caught in a whole new cultural experience, both Yune and Claude learn a lot from each other while they try to keep the shop open despite the declining number of customers at the Galerie du Roy. Once a popular marketplace, many nearby businesses are closing as they are all engulfed by the waves of change.

ANN Info Page
Watch on the Anime Network Online Player

1 Like

I was wondering what the simulcast for this season would be.
Particularly since they haven’t put up Ro-Kyu-Bu! yet.

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sentai Filmworks Announces License of Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth ~ The Animation

Houston, TX, July 21, 2011: Sentai Filmworks today announced their acquisition of the new hit series Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth ~ The Animation. Based on the popular manga by Hinata Takeda, the 12 episode series is a unique East meets West drama set in 19th century France. Script supervision for the historical drama is being handled by the legendary Junichi Sato (Sailor Moon, Aria,) with character designs by Hideki Inoue (Grenadier) and direction from Kenji Yasuda (Noein.)

Revolutions always wreck mayhem and carnage, and the Industrial Revolution is no different as it engulfs Europe, leaving outmoded businesses and millions stripped of their traditional ways of life forever as its casualties. Cultural Revolutions are no less devastating, and as the 19th century comes to an end, young Yune has seen her native Japan shaken to its very core as the walls separating it from the Western world have finally crumbled, sending an entire nation on a quest for a new identity. But like the Phoenix, the new is inevitably born from the ashes of the old. And when Yune she decides to accompany her new acquaintance, Oscar, to Paris where his family’s metal declining shop is barely making ends meet in the face of its new competition, she may just be setting a new wave of changes into motion. Could Yune be the critical spark needed to rekindle the fires in both the hearths and minds of the Enseignes du Roy? As old worlds come to an end, new beginnings will be forged in Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth ~ The Animation.

Digital distribution of Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth ~ The Animation will begin through The Anime Network on Tuesday, July 26, with a home video release of the 12 episodes to follow next year.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, including hit series like Highschool of the Dead, Guin Saga, Needless, Canaan and Angel Beats!. Sentai Filmworks programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, PLAYSTATION Network and YouTube.

1 Like

Awesome, I have been checking this out for awhile…

Oh wait it is premium only on this site, oh well… It was a nice thought to support this show legit.

Maybe when the DVDs come out.

Looks interesting. I will definitely check it out. Is this one premium only, or will it be a stream with commercials.

Not sure yet. Waiting on an answer. Probably know by Monday or at least Tuesday when it starts.

It may not be alone this season. When I initially came here to check out the News section after seeing the news on this at ANN, I was surprised to see a mention about “three new simulcasts”. Unfortunately, I didn’t open the linked article in a new tab, and thus lost any chance to do a screen shot, and the link didn’t work.

All I have at this point is the “Yes, I really saw it” claim, and the non-working link:
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_myblog/Itemid,0/show,Three-New-Simulcasts-Coming-to-Anime-Network-Online.html/

Yeah, I’ve ran across a few things that have popped up in the TAN News section before the ‘official announcement’ is ready to be released, only to be unlinked/deleted almost immediately, and then re-instated when they were ready.
The High Scool of the Dead announcement was one of them.

I’m sure, if you actually saw it, it’s just a matter of time before they’re ready to announce it properly.

This one will be free to registered users.

1 Like

Well I look stupid, I was right with Note pad at least.

I really want to support this, but I can’t play it.

See, Sentai can do classy shows too. Not everything is echi and T&A.

1 Like

I’m so happy for this! Now all the shows I was interesting in watching this season will be available for legal streaming: No 6, Usagi Drop, and Natsume Yuujinchou at Crunchyroll… and Croisee here!
Yippeeeeeeee :lol:

This show will probably end up with the highest viewing numbers out of the three since they made it free. Thus proving the Internet is full of mooches. Love to be proven wrong and Heaven’s Memo Pad does the best, but I doubt it. If Bobbleheads Playing Basketball does better I’ll be at a extreme lost for words.

Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth Episode 01 is now LIVE on TAN!

It’s about what I expected. The laid back atmosphere and the musical score remind me a bit of Aria. I have to say that I enjoyed the first episode and I’m looking forward to number two.

I am curious about one thing though: How did she learn French? Though I imagine they may explain that in later episodes.

1 Like

Probably from Oscar, but with the way the language “barrier” was handled in the first episode, I don’t expect any explanation.

Croisee has a lot of atmosphere, and I’m looking forward to finally seeing the second episode later today.

1 Like

Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth Episode 02 is now LIVE on TAN!

Okay, I’m still enjoying this one. I really love the music and laid-back atmosphere. I have to say one thing I was surprised about in episode two:

They never mentioned the whole lactose intolerance thing. Most Japanese back then would be unable to tolerate cheese due to the fact they never had lactose in their diet. She would likely get pretty sick from eating that cheese.

Looking forward to episode 3.

1 Like

Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth Episode 03 is now LIVE on TAN!

Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth Episode 04 is now LIVE on TAN!