Dance in the Vampire Bund

I’m still thinking of the reaction I got for the one avatar I “won” from either wolfo, hentai(I forget). It was a girl biting her underwear. There was no nudity, but some people got really riled up because of it. Most people thought it was cute(including myself), but it was a problem for some. That is why I think Funi made the right decision. People are passionate about stuff like that, and could cause real problems for the company.
Slick

It has this:

In ep. 2,

spoiler

Our male protagonist, Akira, giving our female protagonist Mina a full body rub down with some kind of ultraviolet protecting gel - ala Blade pt. 1. She is fully topless and exposed to the audience and he does rub it all on her, top and bottom.
I’ve seen the first 3 ep. before I got bored, not because it was a bad show - maybe it does get worse, who knows - but because it’s one of those “been there, done that” kind of show. It had many elements of other shows in it.
Think “True Blood”, “Underworld”, “Blade”, “Interview with a Vampire”, etc. and you get the pic.

Personally Funi shouldn’t have licensed a show they feel they have to censor. I do not support censored anime BUT there is a grave double standard here. Viz censors a lot of their manga titles yet people buy them.

That is what I want to know as well. I doubt Funimation will tell us which scenes made them censor the show but I am sure that there will be people ripping the Funimation version and making videos comparing their edited scenes with either the uncut version or the JP broadcast version. I haven’t seen the uncut/TV versions but since the rating is TV-MA I doubt Funiamtion has cut much out.

Judging by their statement both JP versions (DVD/broadcast) have controversial content in them. I bet you that the version they are editing for the streams are the JP TV versions.

This show isn’t high on my priority list anymore but I will keep an eye out on it. If the decision sticks to censor the show I may pick it up when it is part of the SAVE family. I don’t support censorship but if the edits are very minor and don’t interfere with my enjoyment of the show I will purchase it. But with me it is very rare for me to sit through a censored movie/show when I can tell it has been edited. That is why when I watch movies on TV I watch them on HBO, Max, Starz, etc. :smiley:

They licensed it to cash in on the vampire craze :stuck_out_tongue: . Duh ! And they don’t care what the hardcore people think too much, and for good reason. ADV, CPM and Geneon catered to the fans, and look what that got them. So their motives behind license + censor are they think this will still make them some nice money. People online saying “waaaaah I won’t buy” won’t matter as much as you’d think.

Personally I completely understand the reasoning behind this. The Handley case is going to change things, for awhile anyway. And I don’t blame them one bit for this. This has some stuff that’s really pushing it in it. While I’m not a fan of editing, for a show like this I’m not surprised one bit. I will still this buy, edits or not. It’s probably only going to be some tiny edits for extreme content. Come on! People get way too worked up over this. I cannot stand the fan rage. Yeah I hate edits/cuts too, but please chill down (not people here btw, elsewhere :wink: ) . I don’t like buying things that are edited but I will if I want the show. That’s the only choice. And come on guys this isn’t 4kids. They aren’t going to edit EVERYTHING. there’s no reason to boycot them as some are rageing/threatening to do (not here :wink: ). If you won’t buy this editied, then you either have to NOT watch the fansubs (too late for most) or buy the R2s. Anything else is being a leach in my eyes…

I do wonder how this will play out though. Perhaps do to the fanrage they will reverse their choice? I mean some really risky stuff got put out before without anyone even noticing. Sure that was pre-handley, but if no one noticed then I doubt they will today. But then releaseing this uncut now would be a little dangerouse now, because they already drew attention to themselves here. If they did a sneaky release I doubt anyone would have noticed, but this? Someone from the mainstream may pick up on it now…But hey might be great for sales :smiley: .

Be interesting to see how this plays out…

As someone who’s seen the first, now four eps. - and yes, fansubbed, so please don’t kill me…please - I have to say I don’t think they’ll be tiny bits. A nice handful of plot points/story progression happens during these “naughty bits”. Now granted they (the japanese studio) could have done these scenes differently and leave it to the viewers imagination but they didn’t.
I personally don’t think Funi will cut the scenes intirely but instead use creative editing i.e. close ups, off-screen voice over, etc. and leave it to our imagination on what is happening plus they get to keep the “subtle nuances and character developmemnt”.

I think the thing about Strike Witches is probably already shipped out or already printed. Since I’ve gotten all of the March 16th releases from them I ordered already. People have to realize most stuff anymore is print and ready to ship a month early anymore. Most studios do ship a month early anymore.

The idea of censoring is wrong in any form. At the stage we are now I have a feeling more and more stuff coming out of Japan is going to be pushing or going completely over the line. So you have to wonder how long before something else gets censored?

Not a fan of young looking character nudity even if the character in question is 18 and over , but if that is what the creators wanted then really it should not be touched. Entertainment is to be treated like art. Though considering some people think David’s doodle and nude women statues should be covered I’m not surprised at this. More old stubborn set in their ways people in power or with big mouths then their is understanding and open people in this world. On a side note I meant a girl once that looked 12 ,but was 21. So it is possible.

Well, a handful of these episodes are already up on Funi’s website, and according to people who have seen both versions, they’ve completely cut out the scenes, rather than done “creative editing”. Of course, things could change for the DVD release, but given the blow up over this, I have a feeling they will take the cheapest route possible.

Awww…the modern anime industry’s mantra.

Before:
OM MANI PADME HUNG

After:
OH LETSA PUTIT OUTTA CHEAP

:stuck_out_tongue:

You know their big mistake was they picked a otaku title. If this had been some thing mainstream or kiddy we’d probably not be at 400 plus post on other forums. Sure some would still be bitching ,but I doubt it would have gone this far.

So basically they just picked the wrong loli to mess with. :laugh: :silly: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

I have to wonder if this is any worse than the loli content in Valkyrie. I mean Kazuto has to kiss an underaged girl so she can transform into her “superhero” form. Then she magically becomes naked (full frontal)and grows boobs!

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Valkyrie. But you have to admit it could be a bit creepy at times…lol

I somewhat agree with that PP, but have a different point of view. I had never even heard about this title until Funimation said it would censor it. The fact that this title wasn’t on anybodies radar until this announcement makes me wonder if anyone would even care one way or another if anyone picked up this series. Just like with the old “If they don’t dub it, I won’t buy it(but will still watch it fan subbed)” group and the “It takes too long to get from Japan to the US(so I will watch it fan subbed)” group, I think we now will have a “This is why I watch it fan subbed(because I will only watch anime in its purest, unedited form” group. Again, I see this as a way for people who don’t want to pay for anime(even if it’s only paying by watching a couple commercials) to justify themselves.
Slick

I skimmed the manga (all 30 something chapters in under a hour) and if the anime is anything like the manga then it is a good thing that they are going to censor it. The girl is under 11 Years old.

Really would not recommend the manga. well it does have chick with big boobs you don’t see them.

Actually the girl is over 600 years old. She just choose to use a young girl as her form most of the time…lol

My biggest pet peeve is why this title and not so many others they have released. Strike Witches has a scene of preteen girl sitting spread eagle directly in front of the camera, but that is staying, while this gets edited. At least in this series, there is reasoning behind the loli content.

However, regardless of the reasoning, I still think it’s wrong to censor artistic material. There doesn’t seem to be anything in this show that actively breaks any laws, or is any worse than other material we’ve seen before. And I don’t buy the Hanley case defense, because if that were the case, then Funi would have likely just said so. I think the fans would have been much more understanding then. Not to mention, Funimation likely had this shows for at least a few weeks before the verdict in the Hanley case.

I didn’t find Valkyrie creepy. I just saw it as another example of the whole magical girl transformation like Wedding Peach, Sailor Moon, Cyberteam in Aki. Besides lolli Valkyrie slept in her own room, wasn’t making overt sexula advances at Kazuto, or got a full body rub down in lolli form by him. She just came across as little girl with a little girl crush.

Now with Funi, i see this happening:
After sooooooooo many complaints, Funi will swoop down - GAW - and reveale that due to such fervent and heart spoke love for this anime, they will decide to listen to the fans and release it uncut, thus becoming the hero of the year and erasing their 5 day fiasco.

Funi:
“See we listen to our fans. Not only will u get a show u really love, you’ll be getting it dubbed AND unedited…because “WE LOVE OUR FANS”.
So now go buy them.”

Awww…the joys of marketing. :unsure:

Why would this is considered art? If that was the case, every movie/series ever made would be considered art(including live action).
Slick

I personally think everything that is listed as entertainment should be considered art. Bad or good its all art just like painted art some is made by 3 year olds with finger paint. :laugh:

I agree with this. Just because something doesn’t meet one individuals definition of art, doesn’t mean it won’t meet anothers. When you create art, you have a vision and you use the methods at your disposal to express that, whether it be video, paint, blown glass, animation, song, etc. Good, bad, or mediocre, it doesn’t matter.

I really don’t see this as some marketing stunt, especially given how far away the DVD releases will be. I think this is more an effort to cover their asses with both the law and retailers, whether or not they are really in any danger of upsetting either.

Plus, if that did turn out the case, it would completely destroy the very tiny sliver of respect I have for Funi, and I would boycott this release regardless. Getting your fans riled up like this, just to promote your show is truly a pathetic and detestable marketing scheme, and one I refuse to support. :angry:

I seem to remember reading that even artistic depictions of underage nudity could be considered illegal in some countries (Canada?) so that may even have some bearing on their editing.

Either way, Funi’s going to do what Funi’s going to do; there’s not much sense in arguing about it. I tend to agree with the thinking that it’s contradictory of them and a poor choice of titles to alter.