Daphne in the Brilliant Blue / Hikari to Mizu no Daphne

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue / Hikari to Mizu no Daphne

Genres: comedy, drama, mystery, science fiction
Themes: bounty hunters, ecchi, fanservice, girls with guns, submarines,
Objectionable content: Intense
Number of episodes: 24
Vintage: 2004-01-15 to 2004-07-03

Plot Summary: In the future, the earth is mostly covered with water, but the several cities that do remain are flourishing. Maia Mizuki has been trying hard to achieve her dream of joining the Ocean Agency, a government organization. When she fails to be accepted and faces homelessness and hopelessness, a series of unfortunate happenings force her into a job with Neres, a security and investigation company that will also do almost anything else for enough money. It soon becomes obvious that no one ā€œnormalā€ works at Neres. Shizuka is a kind, tech-crazy young woman with a passion for food, Glora is a trigger-happy, money-loving tomboy, Yuu, a quiet, brooding woman is frighteningly deadly in combat, and Rena is the capable, alluring, unofficial leader of this particular Neres office. With Neres, Maia faces danger and crazy situations daily; itā€™s almost too much for her, but Maia is strong, and she does her best to hang on and make it through this unexpected turn her life has taken.

ANN Info Page

1 Like

Just finished up episode 9 on VOD.

Iā€™m highly enjoying this one so far.
Not quite sure what the actual plot is suppose to be about, since we havenā€™t seen a sign of that yet, but the frivolous humor makes this a really fun series.

Also, not sure why itā€™s called Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, since the title really has nothing to do with the series thus far.

But hey, itā€™s fun and Iā€™m enjoying it, and thatā€™s what matters to me in the end.

I had a nice post written but the stupid worthless forums ate it with an error so read here about Daphne and make your own conclusions. :angry:

This is a fun show and Iā€™m glad I am re watching it before it gets to where I left off watching the dvds. I was up to 20. I always wonder about the title too but didnā€™t hurt watching it.

Just watched ep. 9 and that was hilarious.

Did immediately guess most of the overheard conversation was about Gloriaā€™s pistol.

I just canā€™t stop staring at their big foreheads. Dude, why are they so big? Other than that, the showā€™s pretty cool.

Maybe Daphne was too shy to appear in the skimpy outfits they wear on duty. The only thing that I thought odd was one minute Maia is embarassed to be only wearing a too-short T-shirt, then runs around in a bikini whoā€™s bottom is essentially a thong.

Episode 17 was funny as hell. :laugh:

As the show put it ā€œFive heavily armed women and a baby.ā€ Can you say chaos and lots of laughs.

If you pay attention in episode 15, when Maia searches the red-light district of Siberia City, one of the buildings reads ā€œCalifornicationā€, although the F has somehow become an E. I guess to avoid any copyright issues with HBOā€¦

I doubt it the series was made in 2004 in Japan and originally released by Geneon USA in 2005. Californication was not on TV to 2007 I believe.

Guess it could have something to do with the 1999 Red Hot Chili Peppers, album Californication.

The boxsets are definitely on my radar but wonā€™t be on this next buying list. Thereā€™s been other ADV titles that have been waiting very patiently.

The 5 episodes I was able to squeeze out at the end of the ā€œFree Dayā€ were highly enjoyable and suspenseful. The show reminded me a lot like Najica Blitz Tactics.

Same here. I figured it had to do with the waters/blue sky. I donā€™t know. Of course some anime titles are just oddly named.

I picked up something cool about the title.

Well, either way. A lot of that HBO stuff all runs together for me timeline-wise, I couldnā€™t remember if it was that old or not. Heck maybe they just couldnā€™t bring themselves to actually let it say ā€œfornicationā€ on the building, but you get the idea.

Iā€™ve wondered why the headquarters building says ā€œNovemberā€ on it, though.

Watched episode #19 on VOD -

Maia got kidnappedā€¦again. And she had to save the kidnappersā€¦again.
Pretty funny. But the thing that made me really laugh this episode was the fact that Maia wore an actual swimsuit!! :lol:
And now she might be remembering a big brother - interesting.

Iā€™m not so sure about thatā€¦

I think that might be her underwear rather than a swimsuit. When did she have a chance to pack one? And given the designs for this show, itā€™s not skimpy enough to be a swimsuit eitherā€¦ lolā€¦

since everyone else is hiding their textā€¦
all the other girls just kinda seem to either be wearing their ā€œsuitsā€ everywhere or they just rip off the other clothes they have on, maybe she was wearing it under her clothes to begin with?
just sayingā€¦
if any of the other girls wore what she had on it would be much skimpier, due to maya(sp?) being less endowed than the other girlsā€¦

yoka

Episode 20 -

spoiler

Maia is dreaming of a big brother and a time capsule! But she canā€™t find any evidence of having an older brother, yet she is convinced that the time capsule is buried under the laurel tree in Siberia. She gets permission to go and there is a funny scene of her suitcase getting stolen - exactly as predicted!
Also, she digs around the tree so much that she gets blisters, but doesnā€™t find any time capsule. Was it her imagination? And who is taking her picture?
She also goes back to the street she seems to know and almost gets strangled. She is saved by the guy in the sunglasses. I wonder if this is her brother (as she seems to think)? Is someone trying to kill her on purpose? Is there something locked away in her memory that is dangerous? There seems to be more to this story - it is getting really good.
And who saved her in the last episode and set off the flare? Was it also the guy in the sunglasses? Perhaps too, if the time capsule is real - maybe there is something in it that someone wants? Too many questions and not many episodes left!! But I love the mystery!!

I absolutely agree with everything you said, LOWā€¦ Thatā€™s why Maia was my latest choice in the Claim Your Bishoujo thread.

And a great choice it was! :slight_smile:

Ep. 20

Personally I feel Maia and her brother(?) past is tied to that lost city. Iā€™m sure the public has not been told the whole truth about the city. If Maia were to get her memory back she would remember facts others would wish remain forgotten.