Destiny of The Shrine Maiden / Kannazuki No Miko

Boy, this thing took a disturbing left turn at the end of episode 8, it feels like I need to read the manga or something because they left out half of how we got there. I watched ep 8 and 9 together and I’m not really clear on just what happened, because while it’s at least implied Chikane forces herself on Himeko, she doesn’t act in the manner I’d expect in the next episode.

I’m just as WTF as you are. Things are happening kind of fast.

From Chikane getting her head messed with to her kicking everyones ass. Than Himeko crying all the time. She annoys me, yet everyone loves her.

:frowning: Either way I really like this show.

I think Himeko has put up a bit of a mental block after the “incident”. She desperately wants things to be the way they were - to be “normal”, which would mean to her that the incident never happened. The fact that Chikane isn’t around only confirms that things aren’t normal and can never be the way they were before. I think this is why she cries so much - for the fact of what happened to her, for the fact that things will never be the same again, and for the fact that Chikane - her friend - is really out of her life and is now her enemy.
When something like this happens, a person will either become stronger or will be completely destroyed. I think Himeko was heading towards total destruction, but realized that she couldn’t take the easy way out because the fate of the world is in her hands. Because she must wake the god, she is forcing herself to take the path of strength. I give her credit for this, but I still find her annoying as a character and I don’t understand either why two people are so in love with her. As for Chikane, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I think there is something more there than just brainwashing.

Yes true, but she still annoys me. :slight_smile:

I am glad she is not quitting though. I wish this anime was longer. O_O

Episode 10 -

spoiler

Himeko begins to awaken the god, but falters when she has a vision of herself struck by a sword. However, she knows she must continue by herself. Soma is practicing with Tsubasa’s sword and there’s a cool scene of him splitting a waterfall with the power of the sword. The ritual causes Himeko extreme pain but Ogami can only apologize and says that she must endure it. Soma looks as if the spirit of his brother is now part of him. He is becoming powerful enough to cut through rock with the sword, but the scales on his back are spreading.
Himeko is still staying at the mansion. She is cleaning Chikane’s room and wonders if her friend is an angel or a devil. She ends up crying over the friend she has lost. Needing the truth about Chikane, she goes to the temple and tries to awaken the god without Ogami’s guidance. As Chikane is engulfed by Orochi, she leans the background stories of the necks that she turned to stone and the reasons that they turned to darkness, as she herself receives the power of the dark god. Meanwhile, Himeko has awakened Ame no Murakumo and receives a sword.
Ogami tells her that it’s the Solar Priestess Blade but as she reaches for it, lightning shoots from it and a symbol appears on the back of her hand. Chikane has also received a sword and smiles evilly. As Yukihito tends to Himeko’s hand, he can’t understand how the injury is so bad. Soma asks to speak privately with Himeko and gives her credit for his power and determination to fight. He asks if he can board Ame no Murakumo and fight Chikane and the Orochi, but the thought of him fighting her friend horrifies her and she can’t let him do it. Soma is puzzled by her reaction and Himeko explains that she just wants to see Chikane and find out the truth. Soma agrees that she should meet with Chikane and afterwards she’ll know better what to do. He also says that he must tell her something after the battle. Soma tells her that he will be her sword and shield; he kisses her on the forehead and promises not to let her down.
Refusing to spend the night at the temple, Himeko returns to the mansion to find Chikane playing the piano. The room is completely back to normal as if nothing ever happened there. Chikane stops playing when she sees the bandage on Himeko’s hand and re-bandages it for her. She plays maid and cooks dinner, not letting Himeko do anything. Himeko is just surprised and confused that they are both behaving as if nothing ever happened between them. She’s afraid to ask any questions because she doesn’t want their time together to end, but isn’t sure if she should believe what happened in the past or if she should trust in the now.
That night, Himeko asks Chikane if she can sleep in her bed and ends up crying in her arms. The next morning she wakes to find Chikane gone. She can’t believe that it may have been a dream and searches the mansion for her. Himeko ends up outside and Chikane comes up behind her. She says that she was in the vegetable garden, but Himeko is so happy to see her that she hurls herself into her arms, telling Chikane not to leave her. Chikane talks about how lonely Himeko must have been with her gone, but once Himeko says that she loves her, Chikane pushes her away. Chikane tells Himeko that a black moon with rise that night and takes an envelope from her school uniform. She uses it to slice the top two buttons of Himeko’s pajamas, exposing her mark, and says that she plans to kill her. Chikane sticks the envelope between Himeko’s breasts, telling her that it’s a special invitation to a private party and walks away laughing, leaving Himeko with tears running down her cheeks.

I sat there going WTF!!! haha. Chikane really surprised there. I didn’t expect her to just bust out and say “I’m going to kill you”

Two words: Mind… er, games!

oh yes definitely.

Episode 11 -

spoiler

Himeko and Soma are on board Ame no Murakumo, but Himeko still doesn’t want to fight Chikane. Chikane seems annoyed that Soma is there and tells Himeko to come visit her alone. Himeko tries to ask her why, but Soma says that it’s pointless. The other Necks appear and must be fought first. Soma is in pain and his scales are spreading, but he still wants to protect Himeko and they manage to defeat all of the Necks. However, when they attack Chikane’s mecha, Ame no Murakumo’s sword breaks. Chikane says “now it’s my turn” and the remnants of the Necks fuse with Chikane’s mecha and becomes powerful enough to knock Ame no Murakumo down.
Himeko is worried that she won’t get to see Chikane again and doesn’t know want to do. She starts to cry but Soma promises her that she will see Chikane again. He says that he can’t stop the Orochi, but he can clear a path to Chikane so that Himeko can find her and stop her. Soma tells Himeko that he won’t ever stop fighting until she’s safe - just as he had promised and Himeko cries harder.
Soma uses Tsubasa’s sword and as the scales spread further, he manages to open a path. He tells Himeko to go and she does, but she makes a vow to return to him. However, at this point, Soma is completely covered in scales and is probably lost to her. On the path, Himeko is caught by Girochi’s chains and surrounded by Sister Miyako’s mirrors. Chikane appears in the mirrors and tell Himeko to come to her so that she can kill her. Himeko wants to know why and uses her Solar Blade to break free and she runs to the end of the path to find the Lunar Shrine.
Chikane is waiting there for her but Himeko doesn’t know where she is. Chikane seems a little surprised that she doesn’t know the shrine or remember it but then decides that “it’s probably better that you don’t know anyway”. Chikane admits that the surroundings are an illusion and shows her their garden and then the mansion, giving Himeko a choice until Himeko tells her to stop and the illusion returns to being the Lunar Shrine.
Himeko tells Chikane that she has come for the truth, but Chikane asks “what truth?” Himeko says that the Chikane she knows is “good hearted” and “not someone who would do these terrible things”. Himeko asks if Chikane hates her that much or asks if maybe the Orochi did something evil to her. In answer, Chikane draws her sword and attacks. Himeko blocks the attacks, but won’t fight back – she still doesn’t want to fight her.
Chikane tells Himeko that the truth is that she loves her. Chikane keeps attacking her as she lists all the things that she loves about Himeko. She knocks her down and continues listing the things she loves before leaning down to hug Himeko and tell her that she loves her heart the most. But as Chikane speaks to her, she is crushing Himeko’s injured hand, digging her nails in until it bleeds and causing Himeko great pain. As Himeko cries out, Chikane tells her again that she loves her and how she just wanted “one eternal night for the two of them” but the world got in the way and therefore must now be destroyed. Chikane invites Himeko to “dance the waltz of swords” with her until their lives end. Himeko still doesn’t want to fight and wants Chikane to stop, but Chikane is able to draw first blood. Meanwhile outside, the mechas are still fighting and Ame no Murakumo is overcome as Orochi declares the world to be his and that humans will become extinct.
Chikane still can’t get Himeko to fight her and Himeko is crying again, still wondering why Chikane is acting like this. Himeko knows Chikane isn’t happy and hugs her saying that she knows that Chikane “could never hurt someone that cares” about her and that she isn’t “that kind of person”. Himeko blames herself for Chikane’s behavior and again asks for the truth. In answer, Chikane shoots an arrow to the Earth that causes major destruction and she laughs. She asks Himeko if she is satisfied with the truth and tells her to continue their fight.
Himeko cries as she envisions her friend’s faces and grips her sword. She begins to attack a pleased Chikane who continues to encourage her and starts to fight back. Chikane makes a cut and exposes the mark on Himeko’s chest, but also breaking her shell necklace. Chikane looks at it with sadness, but as it falls, Himeko slices Chikane with her sword. The shell hits the floor and blood splatters. Is Chikane dead?

Episode 12 -

spoiler

Himeko seems surprised that she has struck Chikane and drops her bloodied sword. She cries as Chikane collapses against her and both fall to the floor. Himeko picks up the sword and puts it to her own throat, intending to kill herself, but Chikane stops her. Chikane instead shows Himeko a vision of their past lives where Chikane had to kill her in order to defeat the Orochi and save the Earth. In that life Himeko was the sacrifice, in this one Chikane wanted to be sacrificed instead.
Chikane explains how in this lifetime she needed Himeko to hate her enough to kill her and now that she has, the world can return to normal and Chikane’s own existence will be wiped from their memories. Chikane gives back the hair clip to Himeko that Soma had given to her as a gift and tells her to be happy. She closes her eyes to die, but Himeko won’t let her and asks for “the truth” again. Himeko wants to know if Chikane lied when she said she loved her and Chikane says that she did love her, but it was a “different” kind of love and she didn’t want to burden Himeko with her true feelings. Himeko now says that she loves Chikane too – the same kind of love she feels for Soma.
Chikane tries to convince her otherwise, saying that such a love is wrong and that she’s unworthy of it anyway, but Himeko kisses her, tearfully saying that she never meant to hurt her. Himeko wants to go with Chikane now and says that she wants to “warm the moon with my light”. She kisses Chikane again and wishes her a “happy birthday” now causing Chikane to cry as well. Himeko tells Chikane that she is in love with her and won’t be ashamed of it.
Ame no Murakumo has defeated Orochi and Orochi flies to the moon. The girls are now inside Ame no Murakumo and as their marks join and become one, they fly towards the moon as well, but it seems Soma has gotten left behind. He is completely covered in scales now and is visited by Tsubasa’s spirit. Tsubasa taunts Soma, saying that he sacrificed everything for Himeko and that she has chosen Chikane over him. But Soma says that it’s enough to know that Himeko is alive and tells Tsubasa that he is the same, since he sacrificed everything for him. Tsubasa takes up his sword and strikes Soma, causing his scales to disappear and telling him that he’ll let Soma “be a fool till the end.”
Tsubasa gives his sword to Soma and Soma’s mark glows, causing him to scream. His mecha reconstructs and he takes off after Himeko. When he reaches her, he tells her that he wants to help her and save the Earth and the mechas then fuse. They attack what is left of Orochi and finally defeat him completely. Tsubasa asks Soma if he’s happy now and tells him “to become strong” so that he “can fight alone and protect what is important” to him. Soma thanks his brother as Tsubasa disappears for the last time.
Chikane and Himeko end up in the world of illusion and Himeko is glad everything is over. She tries to have things as they once were, but suddenly breaks down and cries when she realizes that she can’t stay with Chikane. Chikane says that it’s their fate, but Himeko feels that it’s unfair and won’t let herself “be defeated by fate, eternity, or even God”. She tells Chikane that nothing is stronger than their feelings and makes Chikane promise to never forget her. They kiss one last time as the world of illusion disappears and as Chikane is taken from her, Chikane promises Himeko that she will be reborn. She says that Himeko must look for her and Himeko promises Chikane that she will find her “no matter what”.
Himeko wakes up in the dorm room in a repeat of the scene that started the series with Makoto as her roommate. Himeko sees Soma at school and asks her for a date the next day – her birthday – because he must tell her something. The following day, during their date, he confesses that he likes her and wants “to protect her forever” before asking her to go out with him. Himeko apologizes to him and says that she can’t because she is waiting for someone, although she doesn’t know who it is yet. A dejected Soma tells her that he understands and wishes her well. He gets on his bike and leaves as Himeko thanks him for understanding.
Back in her room later, she tells Makoto about Soma and Makoto can’t believe that she rejected “the prince” and asks her if the “imaginary person is really that important” to her. Himeko says yes and Makoto teases her, knocking a photo album to the floor. Himeko picks it up and Makoto notes that it only has pictures of Himeko alone. Himeko starts to cry, saying that the pictures make her heart ache and she doesn’t understand why. Makoto tries to comfort her but Himeko says that she’s fine and that how she feels will never change.
One day, an older Himeko is crossing the street and sees a girl in white with long black hair, wearing a shell necklace. She immediately recognizes her and they fall into each other’s arms – “in love once again”.

Wicca, I know you’re not a big fan of this one and I can understand that. The only thing I really enjoyed about this one was the relationship between the two girls. It was handled pretty well, and felt much more lifelike than they do in many yuri anime and manga. There wasn’t the overbearing lesbian who was desperately trying to seduce her classmate. I think their relationship and burgeoning love for each other was shown quite exceptionally, and was probably the best aspect of the show. That is why the “rape” scene jarred me so much, and pissed me off.

The rest of it, well… it could be a train wreck at times. That being said, I did enjoy the ending. It wasn’t a fairy tale ending by any stretch of the imagination, but it did leave you a little reason for optimism. Apparently, in the manga, the two girls get reincarnated as twin girls who still love each other. Only in Japan folks!

Not the best of shows. Not the worst. But it had elements I really enjoyed that just didn’t overcome the various shortcomings it had.

I saw this last night and while I would consider it about average the ending was excellent. I wasent too fond of the Dub, the Japanese voices are just so much more beautiful to listen (and go with the characters so much better)

I read a couple reviews (shouldnt have) one just said it was Lesbian cr@p(1 star) the other said it was a 5 out of 5. I kept waiting for all the craziness to start but it was pretty smooth and done in a classy way.

I am watching this anime again right now. I bought it when Geneon released it.

If you really like this anime you have to check out the anime Shattered Angels. Some of the same characters are in it.

Since this will be back on VOD April 14th, I thought it might be good to bring back this thread.

Destiny of the Shrine Lesbians is being run again?

Not on every system-only on some subscription VOD providers.