Destiny of The Shrine Maiden / Kannazuki No Miko

Destiny of The Shrine Maiden / Kannazuki no Miko

Genres: action, drama, psychological, romance, supernatural
Themes: love triangle, mecha, yuri
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2004-10-02 to 2004-12-18

Plot Summary: The highborn Himemiya Chikane is cool and aloof, the perfect young lady of good breeding. Kurusegawa Himeko is devoted to her, and secretly her friend. Their lives are undisturbed in their school, until an ancient evil suddenly rears its head. To combat it, Chikane and Himeko must take on the roles of shrine maidens of the Moon and Sun.

ANN Info Page

I actually just finished up this series tonight, and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I was expecting. I haven’t quite made up my mind entirely on it, but there was a lot to like about this show. I found the music especially good, as I made sure to watch both the OP and ED each time.

This should be coming to TAN sometime in 2010.

I own this on DVD. The first episode was a terrible trainwreck. But I do hear it gets better. When I finally get down to watching this I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. But the first episode did a lot of things wrong. I liked the characters, and there are some great parts to it. But everything felt rushed, thrown together, and awkward. And it seems really poorly done and put together. Not to mention things come out of nowhere… Also the dub was rather uninspiring, even with Sheh as a lead. I want to like this show so much…I just really hope I do when I get around to watching it.

I like the dub, especially Michelle Ruff as Chikane. She was just about perfect. Though I will admit it had it’s problems. In the first several episodes, almost everyone pronounces Himeko differently. There is also an episode on the second disc where Chikane is mistakingly referred to as the Solar Priestess, when she is in fact the Lunar Priestess.

I think one of my biggest gripes with this show is the animation. It has such a large degree of variation in it’s quality. Some scenes are absolutely beautiful, while others look sloppy at best. The scenes where the camera angle is back several feet are especially bad. All the characters become generic looking, and sort of blend together.

At first, I really enjoyed how this handled the whole Yuri relationship. Both girls were close friends, and bother were ashamed of their feelings. But neither one became the over aggressive lesbian, that is so common in anime. However,

there is an episode towards the end of the series, that throws that out the window. But there was reasoning behind it, which is explained in the final episodes.

But overall, I did enjoy the show. The ending was very well handled and required a Kleenex or two.

BTW, if you like Yuri, you should check out the Art Gallery in the Special Features. The last few images will definitely raise an eyebrow or two!

I’m also kinda on the fence on this show, for all the various reason already stated. It’s one of those that I probably have to see again a couple of month down the line.

i watched the first episode of this on vod… i must say i am quite confused…
but after reading a little more about orichi i think i get it a lil better…
anyway im gonna keep an eye on this one and see how it plays out.

by the way … what does op and ed stand for?

yoka

Don’t worry I was confused too. And not in a “ohh I’m confused but interested in how they will explain this”. More like “wow…why? that makes no sense, and will never make sense.”. Confused in a “Garzey’s Wing” way not a “Lain” way if that makes any sense :wink: .

To be completely honest the first episode was a train wreck, everything that could go wrong did IMO. I’ve never seen a first episode like this before. I REALLY want to like this show, like a lot. And I don’t hate it, not one bit. But it has a lot of problems. When I finally get around to watching this one, I’m ganna be gentle. If it gets a little better I’ll be happy. And I hear it does get better, so I’ll be happy when I watch this :wink: .

Cody: I totally will check out that art galley :stuck_out_tongue: .

op = opening
ed = ending
as in op/ed song/credits…
…i think…

…yeah…

I think this show was one that would have best been told in 26 episodes. Being only 13 episodes, it has to rush the story telling quite a bit to get everything in. That’s probably what accounts for all the confusion in the first episode. They had a lot of background to get in, and very little time to do it.

The show does improve as it goes along, and I really enjoy the love story, but the rest of it has it’s issues. But if this had been 26 episodes, I feel it could have been an excellent show.

It really makes me want to read the manga though. :slight_smile:

ok so its not just me that thinks it was a bit too rushed with a lot of flashbacks and unexplained things… thank god…
and i thought thats what they stood for just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something…
for this one i had to watch the preview for the next episode… i was thinking it would help with the confusion, but it only added more mystery to the madness! ha

yoka

Episode 5 -

spoiler

It’s taken me a while to warm up to this series. I like the story and most of the characters, but I’m not all that crazy about Himeko. I find her to be a little too weak for my taste. However, I don’t think this will stop me from enjoying the show. Perhaps she will become stronger later on.
I’m up to episode 5 now and it was a good one. Soma and Tsubasa are brothers. There is a flashback and it revealed the fact that Tsubasa killed their father to protect Soma. He then left Soma in the care of the Ogami family and cut all ties with him, wanting to protect him further from the fact that his brother is a murderer.
The brothers end up fighting in the present. Tsubasa wants him to embrace the Orochi power and accept his fate. But Soma still fights to protect Himeko. It looks as if Tsubasa will win the fight, but Chikane and Himeko show up and having Himeko there gives Soma the strength he needs to defeat his brother.

Episode 6 -

spoiler

Himeko and Chikane make lunch and since there are leftovers, Himeko makes one for Soma as well. She mentions her missing hair clip to Chikane – the one Soma gave her for her birthday – but Chikane claims not to have seen it. Chikane remembers how she and Himeko first met. Himeko had given her a hair clip at the time. Chikane pulls the hair clip out of her pocket and the missing hair clip is in her hand as well.
In trying to give Soma the lunch she made, she misses lunch with Chikane. Chikane sends her to the roof and brings Soma to her. She then leaves them alone even though Himeko doesn’t want her to. Later on, Himeko says that Soma has asked for another date, but she wasn’t sure how to answer him.
Chikane says that she wants to be strong to protect Himeko and that Himeko is her sun. However, Himeko is too weak to even complete the ritual and even Ogami has doubts. Himeko later calls Soma to say that she can’t go out with him. Chikane overhears her, and because she wants her to be happy, calls Soma herself to reinstate the date.
The next day, Chikane wakes Himeko up and tells her that she is going on the date with Soma. As she helps her get ready, Himeko, getting over one of her fears, lets Chikane do her hair. As a finishing touch, Chikane places the clip that Himeko had given her, into Himeko’s hair. She sends her off, but then runs after her, too late to catch her. I guess she’s having second thoughts and really doesn’t want her to be with Soma after all.
Chikane spends the day alone, convincing herself that she did the right thing, but can’t even concentrate on her archery. As she leaves the range, a fog engulfs her and a strange tower appears. The doors open and Chikane enters…

Episode 7 -

spoiler

The strange building from the last episode turns out to be a church. Sister Miyako says that she will redeem Chikane and the doors close. She wants Chikane to confess her sins because she knows her heart is in agony with yearning and wants her to be honest about her secret desires. Chikane shoots an arrow and the surrounding image shatters.
Soma and Himeko are on their date when it starts to rain. They take shelter in an abandoned building, but they are already soaking wet. Himeko sneezes and Soma tells her to take her wet clothes off before she gets sick. He promises not to look and says he’ll kill himself if he does. Himeko says ok.
Sister Miyako shows Chikane an image in a mirror of Soma and Himeko at the abandoned building to make her jealous and Chikane shoots an arrow into the mirror, shattering the image.
Himeko takes off her clothes while Soma has his back turned. He happens to look up, sees a naked Himeko reflected in the glass and yells. Himeko, now dressed again, thinks she did something, when Soma won’t tell her what’s wrong. He thinks he should just apologize and kill himself.
Sister Miyako is still saying things to make Chikane jealous and she shoots an arrow into that mirror, but it reforms and Chikane denies her feelings. She says she just wants to make Himeko happy and Sister Miyako shows her an image in one of the mirrors of Chikane kissing Himeko. She says that Chikane wants them to be happy together, but it’s impossible because they are both girls and she takes off Chikane’s skirt.
Soma apologizes for a ruined day and punches something. Himeko takes his fist in both her hands and says that it’s the hand that fought for her, gave her a gift, and always supported her. Soma looks down at their hands but his eyes are drawn to Himeko’s wet shirt. It looks as if they might kiss, but the mark on Soma’s forehead lights up and Girochi appears. He says that he likes how the wet clothes cling to Himeko’s body and how he can see her bra, embarrassing her. Girochi can’t wait to go on a date with his “Hime”. Soma protects her and fights with Girochi. Himeko’s mark glows and it changes Soma’s mark from purple to white, which makes him stronger and he easily overpowers Girochi, but then three more Orochi show up.
Sister Miyako tells Chikane that there is only one simple thing that she can do. She shows her an image in the mirror of Himeko undressing Chikane, although it is really Sister Miyako undressing her. She says that Chikane and Himeko can die together.
The three Orochi shoot the building to pieces, but Soma gets Himeko into the mecha. One of the Orochi says that they won’t stop till they’ve destroyed mankind. Soma attacks them and the mecha turns gold.
Sister Miyako continues to show Chikane an image of her and a more aggressive Himeko and urges her to confess her sin. She says that God will forgive her forbidden desires, but Chikane pulls out a concealed weapon from somewhere on her half naked body and shatters the image. She says that it’s all a lie because Himeko isn’t like that and shoots another arrow at Sister Miyako, once again shattering the surrounding image. She is dressed again and jumps on her horse to race to Himeko.
Soma has now defeated the Orochi and he and Himeko are outside looking at the stars. Himeko says that she never saw the stars until he showed them to her and will always remember the sight with a warm heart. Soma says that it isn’t a big deal and will show her again anytime. Himeko stumbles and Soma grabs her by the shoulders. They gaze into each others eyes and kiss. Chikane arrives in time to witness this and gets strange visions, a couple of which show her holding a bloody sword and a possibly dead Himeko. Another shows Chikane kissing (dead?) Himeko with a tear running down her face and onto Himeko. She says “now I understand what it meant”.
Soma and Himeko break the kiss and he sees that Himeko is crying. He apologizes and Himeko says she didn’t mind the kiss, but that things are difficult. When Himeko gets home, she is upset and goes to her room. Chikane follows her and Himeko says that she is unsure of what she feels. She talks about her first kiss, but Chikane knows that it wasn’t really her first. Himeko says that Soma might be her perfect match and Chikane remembers Sister Miyako’s words – “your feelings will never reach her.” Chikane hugs Himeko and says that she is happy for her. But she really isn’t!
The Orochi talk about failing once again and Sister Miyako says that they really didn’t. She mentions that she won’t kill “her” yet and wants her to suffer. Meanwhile, Chikane is outside, looking up at the moon and says “I’ve made my decision”. Is she finally going to confess to Himeko? I think I’m starting to agree with the rest of the school that Soma and Chikane should be the couple. A much better match! I just find the Himeko character annoying at this point.

I am really enjoying this series so far, too bad its so short.

Would it be unfair to tag this series with the line “girl on girl action” ?

After watching the last episode, I don’t think it’s unfair at all. Tag away! :laugh:

Episode 8 -
This episode was a bit of a surprise and a little disturbing.

spoiler

Chikane sends her maid, Otoha, to Tokyo to care for her sick uncle and Otoha has the feeling that she’ll never see Chikane again. When saying goodbye to her mistress, she finally confesses how she feels about her and Chikane says that it was because of her support over the years that she was able to be herself. In the car, Otoha looks back at her in the rear view mirror and cries.
Ogami and Yukihito are climbing a mountain in a snow storm. Yukihito says they should turn back, but Ogami won’t. He says that he needs to find answers at any price and must do it for “him”. I guess he means Soma.
Soma is looking in the mirror in his room at some kind of wound/scar on the back of his shoulder that looks like a bunch of purple grapes. He thinks he got it during the last fight, but doesn’t care because he will protect Himeko.
There is a scene of Chikane reading a passage in class and I thought the words expressed how she feels about Himeko, but perhaps it was more a foretelling of things to come.
Soma brings Himeko lunch and apologizes for kissing her the other night. He says it’s his fault and that he never meant to make her cry. Himeko says that he didn’t do anything wrong and isn’t sure why she cried, but the kiss didn’t bother her a “single bit”. Soma misunderstands and repeats the words, looking a little dejected. Himeko asks Soma if he’s noticed anything strange about Chikane. She says that she doesn’t seem like herself and thinks something might be bothering her. Soma says that she spends more time with Chikane than he does, so if something were wrong she would be the one to notice; she should just ask Chikane. But Himeko says that she doesn’t want to pressure her – there may be a good reason for Chikane not to tell her. She knows if Otoha were still there, she would know what’s wrong without having to ask, but Himeko isn’t like that. Then she tells Soma to forget she said anything and he asks her to go with him after school, so he can show her something.
There is a scene of Chikane while Himeko is talking to Soma. It looks like she is resigning from school.
After school, Soma takes Himeko to a shopping mall, and there are scenes of them walking around and alternate scenes of Chikane teaching archery.
Himeko looks at a book she’d like, but puts it back and Soma looks like he’d like to buy it for her as Himeko walks away. Later, they see a man working on some jewelry and Himeko admires a sun and a moon, asking the man if can engrave names on them. He says he can and, seeing Soma, he asks for her “boyfriend’s” name, but she blushes and says it’s not for him, giving him Chikane’s name. The man says it’s a girl’s name and Soma laughs nervously as the man works on the pendant.
There is another scene of Chikane in the school garden where she used to have lunch with Himeko. She looks around and leaves. Was she somehow saying goodbye? To Himeko? To happier days?
Sitting on the steps of the temple, Himeko later apologizes to Soma for taking up all their time together buying a present for Chikane. He asks her about the stones in the pendants and when she explains what they mean, he says that he feels a little jealous. Himeko tells him he’s wrong in that Chikane and her aren’t “like that”. He says he knows and they talk about Chikane and how great she is and why everyone loves her. Then Soma says – “yeah, but you’re the one I’m in love with”, startling Himeko. (Now if only Kei in Special A could get together with this guy and learn a few things from him!) Himeko, red faced and flustered blurts out a “what?”
Ogami and Yukihito are still out in the snow storm and enter a cave that contains a shrine. Ogami is saying that the root of the problem must be something deeper, something they haven’t considered. He says that it might not be the legend, but the girls. They move closer to the shrine and look at the images depicted there. Ogami says he doesn’t believe it.
Soma takes Himeko home, but I don’t think he ever showed her what he said he was going to show her. She thanks him and turns to go through the gate, but he calls her back and tosses her something before speeding off on his bike. It’s the book she wanted. Aww! That was really so sweet of him. And he is congratulating himself for ending the day with a smile.
Sister Miyako is watching Himeko come up the drive to the house and it sounds like she’s making a prophecy, ending with – “the one that was once considered holy will be devoured by hell”, but is she talking about Himeko or Chikane?
Himeko walks into an empty, dark house and thinks no one is home until she hears piano music coming from upstairs. She runs up the stairs, calling Chikane’s name and enters the dark room she’s in. As Chikane stands up from the piano, Himeko notices she is wearing her priestess robe and, taking a second look, realizes it’s her own robe. She questions her but Chikane asks if Himeko loves her. Himeko says yes and shows her the pendants, giving her one. She prattles a bit about which one she should have, but Chikane lets it fall to the floor, saying she’s had enough of childish games. She says that they aren’t children and shouldn’t act as such and then kisses Himeko. Outside a thunder storm starts to rage.
Soma’s mark begins to glow and he stops his bike. He questions what he feels because it’s a different sensation from the usual one he gets. Then he realizes Himeko might be in trouble and turns back towards the house.
Himeko runs from Chikane, but Chikane catches her and knocks her to the floor, falling on top of her. Himeko struggles as Soma races back to the house in the rain. Chikane kisses her again and Himeko asks why. Chikane says that she has become an Orochi. Well, this surprised me. I knew Sister Miyako might have brainwashed her, but I didn’t think she would become an Orochi. However, I guess they needed someone to replace Soma, since he turned good and wouldn’t kill the priestesses as he was supposed to. Still, I wonder exactly how it happened.
Chikane goes on to say that it was the only way she could get what she wanted. Himeko doesn’t understand and Chikane kisses her again. Himeko struggles and manages to push her away, running off again and getting caught again. Chikane says that she always wanted to spend an eternal night alone with her, caressing her body. She pretty much tells Himeko to shut up and take it, but Himeko starts to cry and tells her to stop. She wants to know why Chikane became an Orochi, but Chikane slaps her, knocking her to the floor again. In typical Himeko fashion, she thinks it’s her fault and wonders if she did something wrong, blaming herself. Chikane kneels next to her and says that she isn’t going to tell her why, pushing her back to the floor. She gets on top of Himeko and begins to rip her clothes off, saying that she loves her while Himeko screams.
Soma has reached the house; he jumps off his bike and runs up the drive. He enters the house, calling for Himeko, while running up the stairs. He finds the room the girls are in, but he’s too late to save Himeko. Soma finds a subdued, traumatized Himeko still on the floor, surrounded by her shredded clothing and wrapped in a blanket, while Chikane is perched on the window sill. She says that she had expected him sooner and he asks her what she’s done. He tells her that she has no idea how much Himeko loves her and how she spent all day looking for a gift to make her happy. He ends with – “and you do this to her?”, but Chikane says that it’s none of his business. She kneels down next to Himeko and embraces her while Soma asks what she did. Chikane says that it’s their secret and since men aren’t allowed in the house, he should leave and as she says this, she touches an unresisting Himeko possessively. An angry Soma, his mark glowing, tells her to stop.
Suddenly, there is an explosion and Soma comes flying out one of the broken windows, to land on the lawn. He wonders if Chikane is an Orochi. Chikane is up on the roof, taunting Soma that he is too weak to protect Himeko and shoots exploding arrows at him. Soma says that he won’t fight her because he doesn’t want to hurt her. He says that if he hurts her, Himeko would be sad and he doesn’t want to see her sad. His attitude here really annoyed me. Chikane just damaged the woman he loves and he saw the traumatized condition she was left in. Now he’s worried about making her sad? I would think that she’s already in a saddened state of mind by the hand of Chikane. How could she possibly be any sadder? Would she really care all that much if Soma hurt Chikane at this point? Knowing her, she probably would, which annoys me even more.
Chikane asks Soma who he thinks made him strong and he realizes that it is Himeko. She shoots another arrow at him and he catches it, but it explodes anyway. As she shoots arrow after arrow at him, his mark glows so bright that it sends a beam into the sky. It summons his mecha, but he doesn’t want it to hurt Chikane and tells it to stop. It still moves towards Chikane, but she commands it to kneel before her and show respect. Her own mark glows and the mecha kneels. She then commands it to take the form it really wants, the form it should have as a servant of the Orochi and the mecha turns red, grows vicious looking teeth, and acts aggressively. Chikane even knows its name and tells Soma she’s taking the mecha.
He asks her what kind of monster she is and she just tells him that he doesn’t have to be involved anymore. She shoots one more arrow at him which creates a larger explosion and sends him flying. As he hits the ground, she says Himeko’s name. The mecha hands Chikane back to where Himeko is through one of the broken windows. As she hugs the still unresponsive girl, Chikane tells her that her heart will only be filled with Chikane. She leaves, but I’m not sure if she took Himeko with her or not. As Chikane and the mecha move through the woods, Sister Miyako talks about a “bottomless hell” while a helpless Soma lies unmoving on the lawn in the pouring rain.
This was a very disturbing, emotional episode, but I wonder if this experience will destroy Himeko or make her a stronger person? I am definitely hoping that it makes her stronger.

Episode 9 -

spoiler

Soma explains what happened to Ogami and Ogami now thinks that Ame no Murakumo hadn’t woken up because of Chikane. Ogami also tells Soma that the purple thing on his back is a curse. The scales will spread because he abandoned his original mission and chose to use his Orochi power to protect the priestesses instead of destroying them. If he continues this way, he will lose his “self” and be consumed by evil or he will become a devil. Soma says he has a choice – he can keep fighting and be destroyed or he can stop and watch the world get destroyed. He is still determined to protect Himeko.
Himeko keeps thinking of Chikane and is crying constantly. Yukihito says that she has been sitting in the same spot not moving or eating. Ogami grabs her and starts dragging her away. Soma and Yukihito protest that she can’t do the revival ceremony alone and that she needs time to recover. Ogami keeps moving, saying that he has a duty. Soma steps in front of him and gets pushed aside. He takes Himeko to the temple and tells her that it’s now up to her. Himeko says that she can’t do it by herself – that she needs Chikane and cries again, saying she will fail. Ogami tells her that it is her destiny to fight and overcome it on her own.
Chikane has joined the Orochi and Girochi taunts her. She draws a knife and plunges into the mark on his hand, causing the others to gasp.
Himeko returns to the mansion and has difficulty separating reality from fantasy. She cries again as she tries to figure out what happened and where Chikane is.
Chikane tells Girochi that Himeko is hers and says that he will become a “silent stone”. She pushes the knife further into his hand and he really does turn to stone, shocking the others.
Himeko makes two lunches, positive that she will see Chikane at school.
Corona, Reiko and Nekoko attack Chikane at the same time and Chikane tells them that she will take over their roles. Her mark glows and her mecha comes to protect her.
Himeko is at school and is making her way to their secret lunch spot when she gets stopped by Chikane’s fan club. They ask her where Chikane is and Himeko is upset to find that Chikane really isn’t at school. They bully her and she cries. Mokoto comes and starts to lead her away, but Izumi says they aren’t finished with her yet. Mokoto intimidates them a bit and with a final “move it”, she gets Himeko away from them.
Chikane is now fighting Sister Miyako, mecha to mecha. The other three girls are shown to also have been turned to stone. Sister Miyako says that she fights for Tsubasa and won’t let Chikane change anything. She calls for another mecha and Chikane destroys it with an arrow, before defeating Sister Miyako and also turning her to stone. Tsubasa has been watching this and his mecha appears.
Himeko and Mokoto talk and Himeko says that it was all her fault that Mokoto got injured. Mokoto says that she wanted to blame her too, but it was just an accident. She offers Himeko her friendship and they reconcile. Himeko cries again, as Mokoto gives her words of encouragement. I’m really glad that Mokoto came back. I think Himeko can really use a good female friend about now.
When Himeko goes home to the mansion, there is a letter for her from Otoha. While Chikane and Tsubasa fight, Himeko goes back to the room with the piano and remembers Chikane playing it for her. She reads the letter. Otoha says that Chikane’s uncle is better and she should be able to return the following week. She writes of Chikane and her strength, but says that she needs someone to watch over and leaves it to Himeko to take care of her. I was really surprised that Himeko did not cry again at this point - shocked actually.
Chikane and Tsubasa are still fighting. Both mechas have been turned to stone and crumble. There is a scene of Soma training by a waterfall. Chikane’s and Tsubasa’s marks glow during a final attack. Chikane’s knife breaks and Tsubasa tells her that she “embodies the essence of all eight of the Orochi in one”. He goes on to say that she is just like him – a mirror image - and she protests that she isn’t. He jumps off the platform and it looks like he slices himself with his own sword. He says “Soma” and disappears into the clouds. Chikane hears evil laughter. I’m more and more surprised by Chikane lately. She has really taken her role of Orochi to heart and seems to enjoy being evil.
As Soma trains, Tsubasa’s sword falls next to him. I wonder if Tsubasa really is dead, and has left Soma a means of defeating Chikane, now that Soma no longer has a mecha. And if he is dead, it was nice that his last thought was of Soma, his little brother.
Himeko returns to the temple and decides to fulfill her duty, but continues to cry over Chikane. Soma takes up Tsubasa’s sword. Chikane still hears the evil laughter and chuckles along with it. Himeko, now dressed in the Lunar Priestess robes, joins Ogami to wake Ame no Murakumo.

Actually, I can see why she didn’t…

I think this is the point that Himeko realizes that she needs to act if she has any chance of saving Chikane.

True Newshawk -

But she just did so much crying in this episode, I think this was one spot where she should have cried a little.