Discotek Media News

heh, gave up on ever seeing this available again. 999 Dub was very good. Characters delivered lines with great emotion.

AKO is one of my all time faves. (dub was not quite as good on it however)hmmm, wonder if they would save the 3rd and 4th OAV of AKO, I never cared for Plot one or the Grey vs one.
but 1,3,and 4 were aces.

I am SO glad to see Project A-Ko rescued

Instant buy.

Discotek Media Adds D.N.Angel TV Anime

posted on 2011-05-02 23:56 EDT
ADV Films once released this anime of Yukiru Sugisaki’s action comedy manga

More surprised it was Discotek that rescued this then anything. Figured Funimation would have gotten it. Least this means if the extra’s from the ADV releases are included I can replace my thinpak if I wanted to. Though I think most of those extra’s were English cast related. So hard to say if they will be kept.

I have the singles with art box for this one, and have even gotten a few autographs on it over the years, so I have no interest in the release. However, it’s good to see DN Angel finding a new and for DiscoTek to pick up another title.

I have to agree with Pup. I figured this show would be rescued at one point or another, but I never thought it would be DiscoTek.

Again didn’t see this mention but Discotek became a awesome company for rare obscure titles. In last 24 hours Samurai Pizza Cats/Cats Toninden Teyande (releasing both original japanese version and english dub by themselves), Casshan: Robot Hunter Video Anime (yes long out of print title that adv released), and Shin Getter Robo VS Neo Getter Robo.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-13/discotek-licenses-shin-getter-robo-vs-neo-getter-robo
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-12/discotek-licenses-samurai-pizza-cats/cats-toninden-teyande
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-12/discotek-licenses-casshan/robot-hunter-video-anime

Man project a-ko, lupin II first tv series, GE 999 Movies, Venus Wars. I love Discotek.

I know a few people would rather them release Samurai Pizza Cats with both language versions in one set. I’m glad they are doing it the separate release way. Also Shin Getter Robo VS Neo Getter Robo. YAY!

Maybe they can get Mazinkaiser vs the Great General of Darkness.

I think the difference in maybe the uncut and the fact that there are two episodes not dubbed is why. 54 is sub version which I guess were never brought over for english run.

Yeah I think even the last 12 episodes of the dub while they were done were never shown on TV here. So there is that to. I think this basically only leaves Sailor Moon and Ronin Warriors from that block of shows that ran in the early morning on PHL17. I don’t think Sailor Moon is coming anytime soon but Ronin Warriors might have a shot.

The two undubbed episodes of SPC were recap clip episodes, so Saban just never bothered with them. The show also has some editing done, but not the degree of other Saban or 4Kids productions. It was even a bit notorious because it left the gay vilian alone and still showed him flirting with his underlings.

I use to love this show when it aired here on the local UPN station. It actually took the place of Sailor Moon when that was pulled from syndication. I’m looking very forward to this release. I will likely just be getting the dubbed version though.

I’m interested in both Samurai Pizza Cats and Casshan (a former ADV title btw). At the rate they’re going, Discotek is going to have half of my money (Sentai already has the other half).

Discotek to Release Love Com/Lovely Complex Anime

posted on 2012-04-02 22:54 EDT
North American distributor releasing 24-episode series as subtitled box set

I’ve always heard good things about this. I will have to check it out. It’s interesting to see DiscoTek picking up a relatively newer title.

This is one of those surprised who got it titles. I’m happy with who got it.

If they aren’t going to dub, what makes this company anything more than just a lamer NIS or Nozomi? I mean, they aren’t even promising a bounty of extras like those companies do.

I’m cool with this company releasing bare-bones releases of old shows about which I don’t care, but I don’t like the threat of another company threatening to capture unlicensed shows and then not dub them.

Right now it’s this show that doesn’t really appeal to me but next time I might not be so lucky.

Funimation gets first shot at all shows, I imagine Sentai is now second, Viz passed this up, everyone did, this is coming out.

Threat? Oh come on, no company(besides 4Kids) is a threat to get a show, we get it in America legit, how is that bad, no dub. I am sorry you prefer dubs, I do too, but come on this show is 5 years old, this is the only chance to get it. Anyway who would Discotek hire to do the dub?

Not sure how a company is lame for not dubbing something that would have sat in Japan otherwise. Heck it sat since 2007 . It’s like saying Funimation or Sentai is lame because they did not pick it up. Though with Sentai there is a 60% chance it would not have gotten dubbed in the first place. You know Sentai has been dubbing more but they’ve not been picking up quite as much recently. Why?, because dubbing cost money that could have gotten more shows out.

My personal take is getting a show with some kind of translation at all is better then not getting it at all or having to spend 4 times as much for a Japanese release that might not have anything at all. If people can not get that then I don’t see why they even like a Foreign Media. In reality the school system is lame for making us learn useless math and take PE (otherwise known in High school as the excuse to let the sports teams practice more). instead of teaching us how to speak 3 or more languages.

I find I tend to keep more info in my head when I read it over hearing it. Probably why Teachers always seem like big bags of wind when I was in school yet if they gave me the book it stuck fine and I’d pass test fine.

Am I disappointed in no dub for this and Waiting in The Summer? Yes. Will that stop me from buying? no. I honestly take more of a disappointment in no dub means no Blu-ray for all but NISA.

In short my want of a show to come out here overpowers my want of a dub every time. Only people I feel bad for when there is no dub is the English VA’s and staff as that means less work for them and less chances to shine.

Besides I always found Spanish dubs way better then English even though I barely know Spanish.lol In short needs more Spanish dubs!

[quote=“mitamaking”]

Funimation gets first shot at all shows, I imagine Sentai is now second, Viz passed this up, everyone did, this is coming out.

Threat? Oh come on, no company(besides 4Kids) is a threat to get a show, we get it in America legit, how is that bad, no dub. I am sorry you prefer dubs, I do too, but come on this show is 5 years old, this is the only chance to get it. Anyway who would Discotek hire to do the dub?[/quote]

The potential problems with this are twofold. First I don’t find the idea of telling the industry that the barest of bare-bones releases is OK with the fans to be wise. Secondly, and more importantly, if money is going to discotek that would normally go to the other companies, then fans are definitely sending the wrong message to the industry.

If all the discotek supporters are spending more money, new money, on anime then the second problem practically disappears. If they are not then we’re torpedoing the NA industry. If that is indeed the case, then I ask you to explain how taking money from companies which provide dubs, blu-rays, extras, online streaming, televised anime, convention appearances/sponsorships, and have even produced anime and giving it instead to a company that does none of these things is a good idea.

If a company does not release something someone wants then what good does it do to give them money if they keep releasing the same type of series. Like I don’t see Funimation taking chances on older never released series anymore. Sentai has before and I bought them from them. Fact is I’m spending less on Funimation and Sentai stuff then I was because they are not giving me as much of what I want. . Discotek is giving me more of what I want so they will be getting more of my money. I’m still getting at least 3 Sentai titles a month but it was at one point 6 or 7. It’s because not as many titles they are putting out interest me at the moment.

I feel by buying titles I want from Discotek and Nomzomi I’m giving them my mind on what I want so maybe some other companies will take note and decide to at least try and appease other people instead of one self centered group of people.

[quote=“celestial_being”]
The potential problems with this are twofold. First I don’t find the idea of telling the industry that the barest of bare-bones releases is OK with the fans to be wise. Secondly, and more importantly, if money is going to discotek that would normally go to the other companies, then fans are definitely sending the wrong message to the industry.

If all the discotek supporters are spending more money, new money, on anime then the second problem practically disappears. If they are not then we’re torpedoing the NA industry. If that is indeed the case, then I ask you to explain how taking money from companies which provide dubs, blu-rays, extras, online streaming, televised anime, convention appearances/sponsorships, and have even produced anime and giving it instead to a company that does none of these things is a good idea.[/quote]

Hey there, Celestial! I work with the Production side of things over here in the anime business, and I gotta tell you, it’s not that easy!

Every company has to start somewhere. We’re not all faceless! A lot of us really are fans of what we work on, and because of that, know (usually) what fans would like to have. (don’t quote me on that~!) Extras and dubs have always been a big controversy in the North America anime DVD market. Sometimes it’s not as simple as “well they didn’t dub it or get extras, so i’ll show them by not buying it!” There’s a lot that goes into the decision of what goes where and what is bought. Sometimes, it’s not even a matter of getting extras, as the owning companies decide that they want them included only on the japanese release. Throwing money at them doesn’t always work! :frowning:

Keep in mind that when you buy anime (from any company), that you’re not just supporting the North American Anime industry, but you’re also supporting the Japanese artists, actors, actresses and crew! They worked ridiculously hard on your favorite shows, and are rarely given credit.

It’s totally your choice what you do with your money, however, try not to feel “entitled” to certain things. We do everything we can to get you the most bang for your buck. (you should see blu-ray prices for 1-3 episodes in Japan. Yeesh!)

In any case, I adore Lovely Complex, and am very excited that it got licensed at all. I have many fond memories of the series. Shut up and take my money, Discotek!