Divergence Eve HQ

Divergence Eve is listed as being in “high definition”. How is this possible for a 2003 show?

It may not be HD. Some of the older TAN shows, like Elfen Lied, are available in HQ. It’s slightly higher quality than the normal streams but not HD quality (more on par with DVD quality.). That would be my best guest.

Say it with me people,

“Upscale!”

There, I knew we could do it.

The DVDs looked pretty good when I played them on my HDTV via my Blu-ray player.

HD just stands for High Definition, which implies that it is using a higher base pixel count for the image. One thing to keep in mind is that there are three HD resolutions, 480, 720, and 1080, and that the 480 resolution is barely any improvement over an SD (Standard Definition) image, mostly in that most HD stuff is in a specific signal format and the lowest resolution is regular non-HD stuff changed to that format. As such there is a lot of room for them to play with and still have it be HD. After all, if I’m right going by the artistic styles Vampire Princess Miyu is originally from the 1980’s, which makes it nearly two decades older than HD and it’s also available in HD, though again probably just a 480p resolution.

I hope that made sense, as I just woke up from only 4 hours of sleep and I’m needing to eat (and maybe watch some anime) before I go back to sleep.

Let’s ignore that previous post as it is very technically wrong.

480i = S(tandard)D(efinition)TV (540x480) This is the classic NTSC standard
480p = E(nhanced)D(efinition)TV (540x480/720x480) This is enhanced NTSC
720i/720p/1080i = HDTV (1366x768[720]/1920x1080[1080]) This is ATSC/QAM
1080p = FullHDTV (1920x1080) This is ATSC/QAM

i = interlaced, which gives 30 full frames/sec.
p = progressive scan, which gives 60 full frames/sec.

= number of lines of horizontal resolution. In computer terms, the number of vertical pixels.

480i can be sent via Composite and S-VHS (S-Video) connections.
480p/720i/720p requires Component video at the minimum.
1080i/1080p requires an HDMI connection.

1080p doesn’t require HDMI. It just requires a digital cable capable of handling the bandwidth. HDMi is the most common, but Thunderbolt and DisplayPort cables can also carry 1080p signals, though they aren’t really used widely outside of Apple systems.

Also, to correct a previous poster, Vampire Princess Miyu is actually from 1997-98.

I thought component could handle 1080i making 1080p the only one that requires a digital cable.

Actually, you are correct. 1080i really uses no further bandwidth than 720p, so it can be carried over a component cable in most cases.

[quote=“dragonrider_cody” post=139281]1080p doesn’t require HDMI. It just requires a digital cable capable of handling the bandwidth. HDMi is the most common, but Thunderbolt and DisplayPort cables can also carry 1080p signals, though they aren’t really used widely outside of Apple systems.

Also, to correct a previous poster, Vampire Princess Miyu is actually from 1997-98.[/quote]

And exactly how many of those alternative connections you mentioned are found on ANY current TV? I wasn’t talking about computers here. You should pay closer attention to what I posted.

As for computers, you left off DVI which is what I use to connect my dual 1920x1200 24" LCD monitors to the computer I am posting this from.

Thunderbolt is exclusively Apple. My nVidia QuadroFX 5600 has a DisplayPort and dual DVI. I use that on a PC.

[quote=“Capt_Hitsugaiya” post=140427]

[quote=“dragonrider_cody” post=139281]1080p doesn’t require HDMI. It just requires a digital cable capable of handling the bandwidth. HDMi is the most common, but Thunderbolt and DisplayPort cables can also carry 1080p signals, though they aren’t really used widely outside of Apple systems.

Also, to correct a previous poster, Vampire Princess Miyu is actually from 1997-98.[/quote]

And exactly how many of those alternative connections you mentioned are found on ANY current TV? I wasn’t talking about computers here. You should pay closer attention to what I posted.

As for computers, you left off DVI which is what I use to connect my dual 1920x1200 24" LCD monitors to the computer I am posting this from.

Thunderbolt is exclusively Apple. My nVidia QuadroFX 5600 has a DisplayPort and dual DVI. I use that on a PC.[/quote]

I did read what you posted. You said 1080p required an HDMI connection, which it does not. You also said 1080i also required HDMI, which is also not true. As was pointed out, many devices support 1080i over component, including my Sony Bravia. I don’t know about you, but I’ve never seen a single modern TV that doesn’t support component inputs.

There is no need to get defensive, especially almost three weeks after the fact.

[quote=“Capt_Hitsugaiya” post=140427]

Thunderbolt is exclusively Apple. My nVidia QuadroFX 5600 has a DisplayPort and dual DVI. I use that on a PC.[/quote]

I’m not sure that I’d say that Thunderbolt is an Apple exclusive.

Out of curiosity, why do you have a “workstation” GPU in your PC that you use to post to this forum? Following from that, why are you using “1200p” monitors with it instead of “1600p” ones? I’m all about advancing the resolutions of monitors, so that we can attain fully usable WQHD (and higher) resolution monitors more easily and reliably; my 23" “1080p” monitor irks me as I can see the individual pixels @ my normal viewing distance.

I haven’t seen many DisplayPort enabled HDTVs myself, mostly just VGA/Component and 1-3 HDMI connectors. Surprisingly I’ve seen more VGA connectors than DVI, even though HDMI was present on the TV. I’m not saying that the TVs I’ve seen are a “representative sample” of all TVs or anything, but I do find it surprising that any TV would have them & HDMI but not DVI. Also surprising, and mildly annoying, are TVs that have VGA but not Component input.

So going by the stated definitions of HD video in this thread, is the Divergence Eve stream truly HD? I have my doubts but I haven’t evaluated the stream. I’d like to further explore whether the “HQ” tag was applied to the video because it was in a widescreen format or because (perhaps) the video is of higher quality than the DVD from whence it came.

I don’t think that the quality compared to a DVD is a requirement.

If a stream is encoded at a higher peak bit-rate than the “SD” stream, then it qualifies as being “HQ”.

-Joe

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe” post=140524]

I don’t think that the quality compared to a DVD is a requirement.

If a stream is encoded at a higher peak bit-rate than the “SD” stream, then it qualifies as being “HQ”.

-Joe[/quote]

Higher peak bitrate? That doesn’t sound like the best measurement to me.

I agree that “HQ” doesn’t automatically mean “HD”. But what does “HQ” actually mean, besides that it is better than non-HQ streams?

Over on the page here listing the shows, TAN actually does mark Divergence Eve as being HD. From this thread that should mean that it is higher quality than the dvd. Is it, as was suggested, upscaled? Who upscaled it?

I still can’t say that, besides the aspect ratio, I’ve seen any difference in the stream quality between non HD and HD titles, as marked by and watched on TAN.

I noticed that some older shows, the difference between SQ and HD(or HQ in this case?) results in the aspect ratio to be different, so that fullscreen play back would have the black frame in SD and full screen in HD.

I do know there’s at least one show that when it was being posted to the site, ANO had to have changed something on the back end to allow SQ to have 16:9 video as suddenly when I was doing a marathon run of a show, the fullscreen playback went from a black frame (letter box added to video to make the 16:9 video into 4:3) to no frame (SQ video was 16:9)

[quote=“celestial_being” post=140523]

Thunderbolt is exclusively Apple. My nVidia QuadroFX 5600 has a DisplayPort and dual DVI. I use that on a PC.

I’m not sure that I’d say that Thunderbolt is an Apple exclusive.

Out of curiosity, why do you have a “workstation” GPU in your PC that you use to post to this forum? Following from that, why are you using “1200p” monitors with it instead of “1600p” ones? I’m all about advancing the resolutions of monitors, so that we can attain fully usable WQHD (and higher) resolution monitors more easily and reliably; my 23" “1080p” monitor irks me as I can see the individual pixels @ my normal viewing distance.

I haven’t seen many DisplayPort enabled HDTVs myself, mostly just VGA/Component and 1-3 HDMI connectors. Surprisingly I’ve seen more VGA connectors than DVI, even though HDMI was present on the TV. I’m not saying that the TVs I’ve seen are a “representative sample” of all TVs or anything, but I do find it surprising that any TV would have them & HDMI but not DVI. Also surprising, and mildly annoying, are TVs that have VGA but not Component input.

So going by the stated definitions of HD video in this thread, is the Divergence Eve stream truly HD? I have my doubts but I haven’t evaluated the stream. I’d like to further explore whether the “HQ” tag was applied to the video because it was in a widescreen format or because (perhaps) the video is of higher quality than the DVD from whence it came.[/quote]

Mistake #1: you assume I have exactly ONE computer. BIG MISTAKE!

Mistake #2: there is no 24" monitor that can support a 2560x1600 resolution.

I have SIX computers, not counting laptops and tablets. All are custom builds, by me.

There is not a single TV in stores that have a DisplayPort, DVI, or Thunderbolt connection. I have NEVER seen a FullHDTV that did NOT have at least ONE Component input. I HAVE seen many that have no COMPOSITE or S-Video input, however.
The “VGA” input on some TVs is an RGB connection that CAN support 1920x1080 as an ANALOG signal, rather than a digital one. Speaking from experience, I know that that connection can support 1920x1200, because my 24" LCDs have both “VGA” and DVI connections.

I believe this thread has run its course. It’s best to get back on topic or let it die.

Agreed.

Divergence Eve thread.

Divergence Eve discussion.

There is a Computer thread discussion thread somewhere. Use it for anymore discussion. Any more posts after this that aren’t about Divergence Eve will be deleted.

Final warning.

For the record, I was perfectly fine with the direction that this thread was flowing in. In fairness, the word “Divergence” is in the title so it was just living up to its name :wink:

Obviously the moderators can moderate discussion but I’m not so sure about someone who isn’t a moderator & who didn’t start the thread trying to get it “back on topic”.

Speaking of “on topic”, is there anyone who can definitively address how a not-exactly-revered show from 2003, Divergence Eve. has somehow become “High Definition”? With so many moderators/administrators/whoever around here surely someone must know. Right now we’ve come to it being rumored as an upscale or simply mislabeled by TAN.

C’mon, someone out there has the answers. Knowledge wants to be shared :smiley:

[quote=“celestial_being” post=140664]For the record, I was perfectly fine with the direction that this thread was flowing in. In fairness, the word “Divergence” is in the title so it was just living up to its name :wink:

Obviously the moderators can moderate discussion but I’m not so sure about someone who isn’t a moderator & who didn’t start the thread trying to get it “back on topic”.

Speaking of “on topic”, is there anyone who can definitively address how a not-exactly-revered show from 2003, Divergence Eve. has somehow become “High Definition”? With so many moderators/administrators/whoever around here surely someone must know. Right now we’ve come to it being rumored as an upscale or simply mislabeled by TAN.

C’mon, someone out there has the answers. Knowledge wants to be shared :D[/quote]

Ok, I’ll admit, I suddenly thought I was in the Anime Network forum. My bad.

I will see if I can find out, CB.