E3 News & Notes

Eightdevil+ wrote:

[quote]http://kotaku.com/5562387/new-xbox-360-coming-project-natal-gets-renamed

First off, why the redesign of the 360 so late in the game? Did they make it smaller? Is that really such a good idea? The “big” 360 isn’t exactly accommodating to the hardware as it is… We’ll see I guess.

I don’t much like the name “Kinect”. I think they should have stuck with Natal, but oh well.[/quote]

Well hopefully they fixed the issues in this new design and did not just slap the same stuff in a smaller frame. Though that would pretty much say Microsoft. The design does look like it would allow heat to escape better ,but I do agree with the comments that it looks like an Air Purifier. I doubt I’ll be getting a another system for a while even though the PS3 has a lot coming out. I just don’t play games as much as I did or need a Blu-Ray Player to justify the $300.00 right now.

I’m a bit disappointed so far.

The only thing I’ve seen that interested me thus far was some MGS: Rising footage. Turns out it is a fast-paced hacky-slashy type of game. Or so it seems. Looks great though.

GEoW 3, Halo Reach and CoD: Black Ops look decent. Not a huge fan of these series, but still solid looking titles.

Aside from that… it’s as if Microsoft is trying to bore us. =(

I’m just going to wait for someone to post a blog or news story someplace. Microsoft is making me think of those boring school assembly’s from my youth. Honestly I think those may have been more entertaining then this.lol

I’m interested more in what Nintendo has to say. Nintendo probably though will only have the 3DS and a new Wii bundle. Though with Nintendo going with a new color Wii it usually means their next system is not to far off.

It would be hard for Sony and Ninty to not beat this press conference, based on what we’ve seen so far…

You’re not missing much so far PP.

As for Kinect, I am not interested in any of the compatible titles announced so far. Aside from that, it wouldn’t be feasible for me to have it anyways, living on the second floor of an apartment building and all. I can’t be running and stomping on the floor and such. D:

New Xbox 360 available later this week, starts shipping to retailers today!

King of exciting. I like the look of it, but I just don’t see any reason to buy * another * 360.

Wait WHAT? That’s it? It’s over? God that was awful… They barely showed any games at all…

Also, no mention of Kinect’s price? Should we assume it will be pricey then? =x

Just flipped on for a second the new Xbox 360 actually looks better then the pictures did and the fact its shipping now means won’t have to wait to long to hear if its better made. Wireless N is nice and all ,but really one of the main reason live is better then PSN stable connection wise is the fact most people on live are using wired connections.

Like I said, looks nice and has some nice features. However, if one already has a working 360, there isn’t a whole lot of incentive to run out and spend another $300 on one.

It is interesting to note the lack of the external HDD on the new 360 though…

So the fun is over for today? Hey 8d, where are you watching the coverage or are you following alive blog or what?

There’s still the EA conference coming up [strike]in about… 40 mins I think?[/strike] at 5PM EDT/ 2PM PDT. Ubisoft conference three hours after that.
I’m not expecting much from it. The developer conferences usually aren’t anything amazing.

I’m watching at Gametrailers. Best option in my opinion. Pretty reliable, smooth stream and free Hi-Res broadcast. IGN also fits the bill. If you wanna follow liveblogs, I recommend Kotaku.

I’ve never had a problem with my wireless connection on my ps3, I really on broadcast the connection through one wall though, but I still get 95%+ on my signal strength. The router is wireless N, but the ps3 should only be wireless G if I remember right. The only times I get disconnected is when people rage quit.

I’ll probably never buy a 360, especially since I have a ps3. Unless Natal proves to revolutionary, Microsoft can’t seem to offer me anything unique. I never bought a Wii either, the only games I ever wanted to play were things like SSBB which made no use of the Wii’s unique controls, and the games that did I always got really bored of. The only game I probably didn’t get bored off too quickly was Metroid Prime 3, which had a nearly perfect FPS setup for the Wii without any use of a special (over priced) attachment, and that game was insultingly easy. So all these special movement controls seem to be nothing but over priced gimmicks in my eyes and I’d still like to utilize my controller in the majority of games.

Lol, PP, I never really felt like gaming that much either until I got a PS3, after I got that I seem to do little else nowadays.

Ubisoft already announced Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and the new Prince of Persia game, I don’t see why they’d even be participating in E3 at this point, they can’t have that much more left to show us.

I’m kind of excited to see CoD: Black Ops, but I would have rather have seen a new Modern Warfare, but I guess they need to do a period piece for the fans of those. Either way I’ve been reinvigorated in MW2 recently, and have no real interest in buying a new CoD if it comes out sooner rather than later.

Oh holy tap dancing Jesus in a bikini, MGS: Rising looks like it’s going to be amazing. You can cut anything! Including the limbs off of enemies… and cars!

shankajew wrote:

[quote]

Oh holy tap dancing Jesus in a bikini, MGS: Rising looks like it’s going to be amazing. You can cut anything! Including the limbs off of enemies… and cars![/quote]

And watermelons!
I admit I lol’d at that little demonstration.

Oddly, EA’s presser rubbed MS’s in the dirt. They showed a lot of great games and footage. Bullet Storm, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2 and NFS: Hot Pursuit being just a few.

I took notes so I’ll post what I saw from EA and Ubisoft.

EA
–Need For Speed Hot Pursuit demoed: November 16th 2010
–Need For Speed Auto Log announced
–Dead Space 2 demoed: January 25th 2011
–Medal of Honor demoed: October 12th 2010
–Medal of Honor beta test: June 21st 2010
–Gun Club program announced
–Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam Expansion Pack: Winter 2010
–EA Sports Live Broadcast announced
–EA Sports MMA: October 19th 2010
–EA Sports Active 2 (360, PS3, Wii): November 16th 2010
–Madden NFL '11
–Crysis 2 demo in 3D (360, PS3, PC): Holiday 2010
–Bulletstorm demoed: February 22nd 2011
–New Star Wars The Old Republic trailer

Ubisoft
–Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood demoed: November 16th 2010
–Shaun White Skateboarding demoed
–Battle Tag package: Holiday 2010
–Innergy demoed
–Motion Sports Kinect
–Raving Rabbids Travel In Time (Wii): November 9th 2010
–Ghost Recon Future Soldier demoed
–Driver: San Francisco demoed
–“Project Dust” trailer [working title] (PSN, XBLA)
–Rayman Origins trailer
–Mania Planet (I hope that was it. Could be wrong)

Just so everybody is on board, I’ll post Microsoft’s offerings too.

Microsoft
–Call of Duty: Black Ops demoed: November 19th 2010
–3 year Activision deal stating all new map packs to be released on 360 first before all other consoles.
–Gears of War 3 demoed (4 player co-op): Unannounced date
–Fable III trailer: October 26th 2010
–Metal Gear Solid: Rising “cut” trailer:
–Halo: Reach demoed: September 2010
–Codename: Kingdoms announced from Crytek
–Kinect demoed (signing in/nagivating menus/using the mic/watching movies/listening to music): November 4th 2010
–Xbox Live on Windows 7
–Video Kinect demoed
–ESPN on Xbox Live
–Kinectimals demoed (30 unique activities)
–Kinect Sports trailer (soccer, bowling, Track+Field, Ping Pong, Boxing, Volleyball, etc)
–Kinect Joy Ride demoed (includes stunt mode + 4 more modes)
–Kinect Adventures demoed (roller coaster and river rafting demos)
–Your Shape Fitness Evolved Kinect demo
–Dance Central Kinect demo
–15 Kinect titles are expected at launch
–Star Wars Kinect trailer: 2011
–Forza Motorsport Kinect demo: 2011
–Redesigned Xbox 360 revealed (smaller sleeker look, 250MB harddrive, built-in Wi-fi and Kinect ready) $299.99–In retail stores this week.

shankajew wrote:

Instead of hiding behind a van, you can slice it up, then slice and dice the enemy, rip his innards out and absorb them.:smiley:

Good summaries Snowy.

A day later and my disappointment has not subsided in Microsoft’s conference. I waited the entire time they were showing Kinect. I kept thinking they would stop talking about it and move on to the hardcore games and the big surprises, but they didn’t. They just kept talking about Kinect.

Then, when at the end they revealed the new 360, I thought “Here we go, now we are getting to the REAL good stuff!” …and then Don Mattrick thanked everyone for coming out and the conference ended.

Nintendo conference starts in 40 mins. Sony will be on at 12PM PDT/ 3PM EDT.

Caught Crysis 2 last night looks amazing.

I wonder if the 500gb PS3 with Wireless N rumors are true if so and I do finally get a PS3 I think I will get it unless they offer a Wireless N in the smaller systems. It took them a little while to offer HDMI cables with the slims. Though them switching to Wireless N may explain why the stores have only been getting a few 250 gb and 120gb in at a time. No point in mass producing something your about to upgrade.

There is a few games coming out that the Wii versions are to gimped to really consider unless they lower the price so I may get a PS3 or if they fixed the RROD a new 360 at some point in the future.

Snowy Stampede wrote:

[quote]shankajew wrote:

Instead of hiding behind a van, you can slice it up, then slice and dice the enemy, rip his innards out and absorb them.:D[/quote]

I love the way MGS: Rising looks. I do, however, feel that people might be misjudging the game. Everyone is assuming its purely a hack ‘n’ slash. However, I think that might just be one aspect of the game that they were showing.
It would be like someone seeing a trailer for Batman: AA where Batman is beating thugs up and assuming the entire game was a beat-em-up.

Eightdevil+ wrote:

If I get a chance, I’ll post that here as it concludes. :slight_smile:

I hate these host on G4 right now.

http://kotaku.com/5563360/video-walkthrough-of-the-new-xbox-360 a video walkthrough of the new 360 hardware. Looks pretty nice overall. One thing that irks me a bit is the fact that it still uses proprietary hardware for the HDD.