Elfen Lied

Uh… UH… hey look! A distraction of some kind! -dives behind some bushes-

One thing that I didn’t get about the series was, how were they able to keep her locked up for so long to begin with? >.>

1 Like

Drugs…it’s aways drugs…

1 Like

awesome!!! this is such a great anime!! :grin:

1 Like

This is one of my permanent ranked shows. Got a nice little place in my heart for it. First one I really experienced the fury of having to wait for the show to be uploaded on demand with. It was glorious!

1 Like

Ok So I feel I must comment on this one. Anyway recently I’ve been hearing a few people speak bad about this dub. They say some really terrible things about ADV’s dub. So you know what I did? Checked out the dub (again) on the video portal here. Sadly only the first episode was up, but it’s enough for me to have some say on this. I would have liked to watch a bit more of this to judge the dub though, but whatever. The last time I saw this was when it came out, so I don’t remember much more about the other episodes, expect it just being good, nothing amazing. And after watching the first episode again I feel the same. I feel is that ok it may not be the best thing since Cowboy Bebop, but it’s not at all bad. I really liked the dub even. Quite well done if I do say so myself. Perhaps it gets worse down the line? But that’s hard to see, one would think it would get better as the show progresses. But it’s not impossible.

Adam Conlon was great as the lead. I thought he had a nice, fresh, youthness about him that fit his character. I haven’t heard anything else he’s done, but he’s quite a good choose for the lead. Nancy Novotny as Yuka was a good choice as well. She sounds less spaced out then she did in Madlax (which was fitting), but there’s something about her voice that I like. I think my favorite role of hers is Yomi in Azumanga Daioh though. But she’s really good in this. I really like the thought of her cast as Yuka, Kohta’s cousin. And Lucy of course was played by Kira Vincent-Davis. I’m not sure anyone could make that character tolerable for me though, so best to not even bother. I’ll just say she did an alright job. All the other characters seemed well cast, and no one was over acting, at least from what I can tell. So what’s the problem again? Does it get worse as this goes on or something? Otherise…uh…it’s another good dub from ADV. But nothing outstanding sadly.

As for my opinion on the show its self, let’s just say it’s very different then everyone elses and leave it at that. I feel no reason to criticize the show in this thread, seems mean spirited. Plus I’d get a lot of people really mad lol. I will say I LOVED the music though.

1 Like

You just have to take everything with a grain of salt (it IS the internet after all) and for your own opinions. Look at the ANN review of NADESICO. Based off that, you would think the english dub was going to be horrible. But I think it is probably my favorite ADV dub.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, you’re getting the opinions from ANN forum, no? The people on that forum (with exceptions of course) are usually clueless - especially when it comes to dub knowledge. If I remember right, ANN’s most knowledgeable dub reviewer said pretty much good things about Elfen Lied.

Personally I think Elfen is good, but it’s not perfect - at times the VAs tend to over-act. I really like Kira Vincent Davis especially though. However, I need to watch as it’s been a while since I’ve seen it, to comment further.

Zaku, agreed. I strongly disagree with that review. Mania/AOD has the best review of Martian Successor Nadesico, not only because I agree with it ;), but because I am well acquainted with the person’s thoughts and knowledge of who wrote the review, and Mike is one of the foremost knowledgeable dub people around. One must take Nadesico for the time it was made though, it does have the 90s style overacting at times, and it was a monster production due to how large the cast was - it was the beginning of many all star careers of now famous VAs. I find it to be a historic release in that regard. It’s a shame that a lot of new dub fans have lost sight of not only what’s good, but of history of when the dub industry was having a paradigm shift. Historic stuff of note just doesn’t seem to be as important to today’s fans.

1 Like

Yes I’m getting this from ANN Forums, but also from many other places, including a reviewer on Youtube who I respect. Normally I would just ignore these people, but the very fact that it keeps coming up means something I think. However one of the common problems cited is “over acting”, so if you say this dub has a bit of that, I guess that’s what they are seeing. However from what I’ve seen I doubt it this huge problem that destroys the dub or anything. Like I said it’s quite good, but not perfect. But the way some of the people talk about this dub, you’d think it was a train wreck or something. And I think I would have rememebered if it was terrible when I first saw some of it years ago. As for the show in general it really isn’t for me :stuck_out_tongue: . I remember that at least. I have a lot of hate for this one, and I’m better off not getting started :stuck_out_tongue: . But the dub was something I liked about it.

Anyway was just wondering what the dub was like, guess I now have a clearer understanding of it. I think Cody really liked the dub too, so…

1 Like

Yeah the ANN forum posters are mostly kids or exaggerate to a great degree, everything either rocks or sucks (they bear out typical internet stereotypes) - frankly most of them annoy the hell out of me. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s one of the reasons I almost never posted there until recently, even after being a visitor of the site for like 5-6 or so yrs.

AOD’s ET and Dubreview used to be the best and only area I’d consider of value with regards to Dub opinions (as well as Theron on ANN - he’s good since he consistently reviews dubs and that has given him a lot of experience). Sadly though a lot of the good and experienced people are moving on (not as interested in anime, the collapse of the dub industry and a lot their past favorites disappearing hasn’t helped either, annoyed with the spoiled new fans that are wrecking a havoc in the philosophical space of the industry (ie. all the forum posts lately are either ultra cynical or filled with retard noob posts (ie. tons of ANN news stories turning into whine-fests by FS watchers and free-only people)… So the void of the once experienced arena is being filled with new viewers - which is fine. But their experience and ears are limited to what they are familiar with. So now I’m left for the most part with a void.

The paradigm is shifting in the scene, and imo in the last 2 years and now… not for the better. I wish I could go back in time to 04-05 and stay there in loop. :wink:

1 Like

Yes Dubreview used to be great to hear a truly useful opinion on dubs. Guess we are left too about one real place left to get good opinions on dubs, the English Track on AOD.

As for going back in time to 2004-2005 I’m all for that. Once I create a time machine I’ll be sure to bring you with me to that time period. 2006 wasn’t half bad either if I recall correctly, but that is when everything started to go downhill, I guess even in regards to fans and their crazy cat-lady like rants on ANN (and other places) as well. Fans have been deteriorating I guess over time :stuck_out_tongue: .So I’ll live from 2004-2006, then go back in time again, sound fun? LOL. Those were some good years though.

1 Like

Well, I can definitely see a bit of over-acting in this one, I really fail to see how it is anyone worse than many typical anime dubs. Hell, I think FMA had as much, if not more overacting in it’s dub, and that one often gets much praise heaped upon it. I would have to say that overacting is common problem, regardless of who does the dub.

Personally, while I can see the flaws in this dub, it still remains a good dub in my opinion. One of the things I most enjoyed about it, was the fact is that all the leads were somewhat lesser known Texaz VA’s. You didn’t have Chris Patton, Lucy Christian, Monical Rial, or Vic Mignogna as the main characters. Let’s face it, there was a time where nearly every dub coming from Texas had one of the same eight actors as a lead in it, whether it be from Funi or ADV. And while I may really enjoy those actors, it does tend to make the dubs stale after a while (see many of Funi’s recent dubs.)

Unfortunately, with the long pause in ADV/Seraphim dubs, I have to wonder how many of those “lesser knowns” will still be around. I know some of my favorite actors, such as Jessica Boone, have already moved on. I just hope that whatever they are working on now, we will continue to get diverse casts from them in he future.

1 Like

All 13 Episodes of Elfen Lied Are Now Available for Download on iTunes!

1 Like

Since this will be back on VOD April 21st, I thought it might be good to bring back this thread.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be VoD without Elfen Lied would it?

1 Like

Right Stuf recently delisted the most recent re-release of Elfen Lied (the white and red stack pack). The thin pack and singles release have long been out of print.

However, according to mania .com, we should expect another release “at some point in the future.”

Right Stuf is out of stock, but many other online retailers still have one or both versions in stock, including Overstock, Amazon and others.

1 Like

Amazon is out of stock also. Overstock has it for $22.22. Deepdiscount has it for $23.22. Buy .com has it for $26.65. Best Buy has it for $34.99

1 Like

Complete Collection Cover/Disc Art

DVD

Blu-ray

1 Like

Are the powers really “telekinetic”?

I like the front cover and BD disc art. I can’t say for certain due to the angle but I don’t think the spine art is what I would have picked had I my druthers.

1 Like

Actually looks like the dub was just re-added.
Not really sure why it got re-added, because I’m pretty sure the dub was already availible, but in any case, it went up today.

Episodes 1 through 13 (DUB) are live at TAN

1 Like

Since I haven’t seen the dub, but have seen all of the TV series (and maybe the OVA) in Japanese, I’m not sure, due to the radical recasting, whether I should watch the OVA dub before or after the series dub.

Carli Mosier as Lucy? I don’t think of Kira when I think of her, especially not after she’s acted as “The second Cynthia Martinez” in AKB0048.

1 Like