Excel Saga

###Excel Saga

[quote]Genres: comedy
Themes: absurdity, dark comedy, parody
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: Hyperactive Excel does anything and everything to try to please her lord, Ilpalazzo, who wants to take over the planet. Excel’s misadventures takes her and her partner, the ever-dying Hyatt, all over the world, meeting several strange people as they go. Everything is bizarre and goofy, as any kind of anime or entertainment genre gets mocked and spoofed.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 1999-10-07 to 2000-03-30[/quote]

ANN Info Page

RightStuf Link
Excel Saga DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) (Thinpak)

Press and Reviews:

[quote]It may not be everyone’s cup of sake’, but Excel Saga is an impressively insane accomplishment that has finally been given a worthy American release. Featuring an engaging cast of oddball characters in an anything-goes action/adventure/comedy/sci-fi/romance/tragedy/horror tale, Excel Saga will be treasured by anime fans who also appreciate Monty Python, National Lampoon, and Tex Avery. Much like their works, Excel Saga is the sort of thing you will be showing to your friends repeatedly at get-togethers for years to come.

• simply put, Funniest Anime Ever, with a perfect English Dub

[quote]This is the most sick and twisted anime series I’ve ever seen. Ever since the show was originally broadcast in Japan, American fans claimed it was “the show that couldn’t be dubbed.” Matt Greenfield proved them wrong. The English dub thoroughly captures the insanity of the original show. Greenfield went to great effort to get the show done right, and it shows. His script manages to hit all the right notes and still give us the show largely unscathed. He went to extra effort to try to keep as many of the jokes as he could, and in the few instances when the joke was changed, it was done for a purpose.

For instance, in the episode “Animation USA”, Excel appears in a scene dressed as Sailor Moon, a role Kotono Mitsuishi has before playing Excel. When someone points out how she’s dressed. Kotono complains that it was a good gig, but it’s over now. In the English dub, Larissa complains she wanted the role, but it was dubbed in Canada. Yes, it’s a change, but it’s a change that makes sense and works while keeping the spirit of the original joke. Some of the more memorable performances are Monica Rial’s sweet, sickly Hyatt is, Jason Douglas’s manly Il Palazzo, Paul Sidello’s energetic Koshi Rikdo and Mike Kleinhenz’s over the top Kabapu, but they are far from the only noteworthy performances from this large cast. The show itself is a scream, a chance for Shinichi Watanabe to pull out all the stops and use every gag he can think of to create a strange and wonderful comic masterpiece. While this is a line that’s very overused, Excel Saga is truly a title that belongs in every anime fans library. There is so much packed into every episode, it will take repeated viewings to get even half of it.
Mania.com Excel Saga Review[/quote]

Puni Puni Poemy (OAV) Vintage: 2001-03-07

I recently managed to snag a brand new copy IMperfect Collection off of eBay for $64.99 (MSRP on the set is $89.99). This is one series I have been wanting to check out for a while but never had the extra cash and when I finally did the thinpak was the only thing available. Right around the time I was about ready to break down and get the thinpak I found the IMperfect Collection.

I have managed to get through the first four volumes, after watching the first volume without AD Vid-Notes I had to go back and re-watch it with AD Vid-Notes. After that I have been watching each volume with the AD Vid-Notes.

So far this is the craziest anime I have ever seen. The dub is a grade A from ADV and both Jessica Calvello & Larissa Wolcott are great choices for Excel.

I will post more after I finish my first viewing. If anyone wants to set up a viewing schedule like in the Princess Nine thread let me know.

(Also the eBay seller I got the IMperfect Collection from still has an auction with the original singles. The auction is a Buy It Now auction and is reasonably priced. If anyone wants the link to the auction with the six singles let me know.)

It’s a very off-the-wall (expect crazy brilliance from Nabeshin) series. It took me a few episodes to warm up to it though, but once I did… it was a ton of fun. I hope ADV brings this out of OOP status. Back in the day it used to be a huge favorite here amongst the older (the ones who were here in 05) members here.

The OP is awesome and how can anyone not love Il Pallazo? :slight_smile:

ADV IMO really messed up when they released the second 5 disc set of this as it stripped the extra’s which meant not needed Vid Notes. So the singles or the Imperfect Collection is the way to go if you can get them.

I actually watched Puni Puni Poemy first then I got the Imperfect Collection from Best Buy in store when they first clearance it for around $57.99.

Still one of my favorite series.

Crunchyroll Adds “Excel Saga”

December 06, 2017 11:15pm CST
More shows and episodes added from Funimation today

Why You Should Marathon Excel Saga — Funimation Flashback

I wish Funimation would let this go so Discotek could get a swing at it and give it a SDBD. I wish that for a lot of those older shows once held by other companies here.

1 Like