Fullmetal Alchemist & Brotherhood / Hagane no Renkinjutsushi

Full Metal Alchemist

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy
Themes: alchemy, Homunculi, military, steampunk, tragedy
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: After losing their mother, Alphonse and Edward Elric attempt to bring her back using the forbidden science of human alchemy. However, alchemy operates on the theory of equivalent trade, and breaking the human alchemy taboo carries a heavy price. Ed loses his leg, and Al loses his body. Ed is able to seal Al’s soul inside of a huge suit of armor, at the cost of his arm. Years later, Ed (now with two mechanical limbs) and Al (still trapped in the armor) leave their childhood home, each brother concerned with the other’s happiness. Ed, who has a natural talent and skill for alchemy, becomes nationally certified and is soon known everywhere as the “Fullmetal Alchemist.” Their true objective is to search for any information on the fabled Philosopher’s Stone, hoping it will allow them to regain their old bodies. All of their hopes rest with this mythical stone, which may not even exist at all. However, the brothers soon learn that they are not the only ones after the powerful stone.
Number of episodes: 51
Vintage: 2003-10-04 to 2004-10-02

ANN Info Page

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, thriller
Themes: alchemy, conspiracy, Homunculi, military, steampunk, tragedy
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Two brothers lose their mother to an incurable disease. With the power of “alchemy”, they use taboo knowledge to resurrect her. The process fails, and as a toll for using this type of alchemy, the older brother, Edward Elric loses his left leg while the younger brother, Alphonse Elric loses his entire body. To save his brother, Edward sacrifices his right arm and is able to affix his brother’s soul to a suit of armor. With the help of a family friend, Edward receives metal limbs - “automail” - to replace his lost ones. With that, Edward vows to search for the Philosopher’s Stone to return the brothers to their original bodies, even if it means becoming a “State Alchemist”, one who uses his/her alchemy for the military.
Number of episodes: 64
Vintage: 2009-04-05 to 2010-07-04

ANN Info Page

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa Vintage: 2005
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (movie) Vintage: 2011-07-02

Fullmetal Alchemist: Premium Collection (OAV) Vintage: 2006-03-29
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (OAV) Vintage: 2009-08-26

Brotherhood Episodes (on Adult Swim)
  1. Full Metal Alchemist (February 13, 2010)
  2. The First Day (February 20)
  3. City of Heresy (February 27)
  4. An Alchemist’s Anguish (March 6)
  5. Rain of Sorrows (March 13)
  6. Road of Hope (March 20)
  7. The Hidden Truth (March 27)
  8. The Fifth Laboratory (April 3)
  9. Created Feelings (April 10)
  10. Separate Destinations (April 17)
  11. Miracle at Rush Valley (April 24)
  12. One is All, All is One (May 1)
  13. Beasts of Dublith (May 8)
  14. Those Who Lurk Underground (May 15)
  15. Envoy From the East (May 22)
  16. Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms (May 29)
  17. Cold Flame (June 5)
  18. The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human (June 12)
  19. Death of the Undying (June 19)
  20. Father Before the Grave (June 26)
  21. Advance of the Fool (July 3)
  22. Backs in the Distance (July 10)
  23. Girl on the Battlefield (July 17)
  24. Inside the Belly (July 24)
  25. Doorway of Darkness (July 31)
  26. Reunion (August 7, 2010)
  27. Interlude Party (January 8, 2011)
  28. Father (January 15)
  29. Struggle of the Fool (January 22)
  30. The Ishvalan War of Extermination (January 29)
  31. The 520 Cens Promise (February 5)
  32. The Führer’s Son (February 12)
  33. The Northern Wall of Briggs (February 19)
  34. Ice Queen (February 26)
  35. The Shape of This Country (March 5)
  36. Family Portrait (March 12)
  37. The First Homunculus (March 19)
  38. Conflict at Baschool (March 26)
  39. Daydream (April 2)
  40. The Dwarf in the Flask (April 9)
  41. The Abyss (April 16)
  42. Signs of a Counter Offensive (April 23)
  43. Bite of the Ant (April 30)
  44. Revving at Full-Throttle (May 7)
  45. The Promised Day (May 14)
  46. Looming Shadows (May 21)
  47. Emissary of Darkness (May 28)
  48. The Oath in the Tunnel (June 4)
  49. Filial Affection (June 11)
  50. Upheaval in Central (June 18)
  51. The Immortal Legion (June 25)
  52. Combined Strength (July 2)
  53. Flame of Vengeance (July 9)
  54. Beyond the Inferno (July 16)
  55. The Adults’ Way of Life (July 23)
  56. The Return of the FĂĽhrer (July 30)
  57. Eternal Leave (August 6)
  58. Sacrifices (August 13)
  59. Lost Light (August 20)
  60. Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth (August 27)
  61. He Who Would Swallow God (September 3)
  62. A Fierce Counterattack (September 10)
  63. The Other Side of the Gateway (September 17)
  64. Journey’s End (September 24, 2011)

I haven’t seen any other site report on this news dragoon. You certainly have your ways of getting your anime information.
Slick

[quote=slickwolfie]
I haven’t seen any other site report on this news dragoon. You certainly have your ways of getting your anime information.
Slick[/quote]

They post it on the backdoor schedule…

http://schedule.adultswim.com/servlet/ScheduleServlet?action=AS&theDate=2/12/10&timeZone=EST

…and the information trickles out from there.

That might mean they’re just using that as a placeholder to keep the new anime completely secret, but it’s pretty much assumed that it’s FMA:B.

Bloody fragging hell. I’d not call this “NEW”. Hopefully they keep the dub production high on this and don’t make it fall on its fragging face bad like Soul Eaters dub.

Don’t know if I will be watching this time as I don’t care about it plus I think I would rather sleep.

Feisty are we?

PP’s not a happy camper with the current state of anime and what gets put on TV and what’s being picked up for licenses (especially compared to before). He wants to see more manly, good mecha stuff and old-school stuff get appreciated. At least before during the bubble period, mainstream-ish titles were also balanced with pure quality and diversity. But with the state the market is in, no one wants to take much chances anymore. Everyone is playing it safe, which is understandable given what has happened in the last 7 years. Doesn’t make it any easier for longtime fans though.

[quote=dragoon]
He wants to see more manly, good mecha stuff… get appreciated.[/quote]

Ick.

I’d rather have a good fluffy comedy any day over that.

Comedy and fluff will always exist as long as the otaku market doesn’t change, luckily. PP likes those too, but there’s a lot of those available, he’s looking for variety.

Before we at least had more choices… now there aren’t a whole lot. Like the non-mainstream and usually good mecha stuff aren’t getting released here, instead we get stuff like Code Geass or Gundam 00 which PP doesn’t like. Think of all the mecha coming out here lately, they’re pretty much the same and fill the similar 1 or 2 molds. Like there’s nothing nowadays at all like Martian Successor Nadesico or Godannar or Vandread.

Now there’s pretty much just a divergent market, super mainstream and super otaku-niche. There’s lots of fluff comedies with the latter category but as far as other types of stuff… not much in between can make it here.

To PP, the market now is almost like how you would feel if 95% of what was coming out was Gurren Lagannish type series. :wink:

Prede… why do you hate FMA so much anyway? I’m curious now that we’ve been talking about it peripherally on and off for a while now. Not agreeing or disagreeing, just curious. :wink:

[quote=psychopuppet]
Bloody fragging hell. I’d not call this “NEW”. Hopefully they keep the dub production high on this and don’t make it fall on its fragging face bad like Soul Eaters dub.

Don’t know if I will be watching this time as I don’t care about it plus I think I would rather sleep.[/quote]

I don’t think I would call the “Soul Eater” dub bad yet. One trailer does not = whole show. The trailer sucked, but the first one ruled. You cannot judge a dub by a trailer alone. The Red Garden trailer makes the dub seem like a terrible, terrible peice of crap. But it’s a favorite of mine, a very well cast, very fresh, and expertly acted dub.

dragoon I’ll get to answering that in a bit :wink: .

And its actually the last two trailers that have been bad. Funimation dubs have been such a mix bag as of late ,but I did not even think the first trailer was really all that great either so.

My opinion of course. Sorry ,but lately the way things are going they have even with the short times they are producing these been doing a very mixed or iffy job in my opinion. Red Garden’s trailer also made the show seem like it was something I would like and I think we all know what I thought of that. Another one would be the Waterworld trailer made it look great then the movie was just plain make fun of bad for me.

Funimation’s trailers/clips have also been pretty much what you see is what you get as of late so I am am pretty sure this will not be to my liking and I will be wanting to pick it apart like a vulture picking at a carcass. If I would not feel bad about the VA’s not having work. My stance from now on would be if you can’t do it at least on a CPM level dub then just save some money and sub it.

I’m not the dub fan I once was pretty much thanks to what I have been hearing as of late and discovering some great series I would be missing if I did not give subs a chance.

[quote=psychopuppet]
My stance from now on would be if you can’t do it at least on a CPM level dub then just save some money and sub it.[/quote]

HEY that’s a pretty high level. Many of Funis recent dubs have been worse then CPM’s stuff ;). And I’m not sure you can lable the dubs CPM level, since they used many different studios. What do you mean? Bakewell dub :stuck_out_tongue: , early NYC Dub (eww), mid-late NYC dub (AMAZING!), LA dub? Etc etc :stuck_out_tongue: . While you can pin-down what an ADV level dub is, it’s hard to say what a CPM level dub is, since they used so many different studios and they’ve dubbed anime from the early 90’s till very recently. Huge time differences and location gaps :P.

I hated the Red Garden trailer, but loved the show. And I felt the first Soul Eater trailer was GREAT, top grade. The latter two were terrible. But we will see. At any rate I’d rather any dub over no dub, even if the dub was kinda bad. I’m not liking the funi-factory dubs, but they are better then nothing at all. I’d much prefur some Amusement Park Media dubs tho. I think everyone knows my stance on that already.

You like nailed my point and missed it I think.
My point was even back in the early CPM dubs they were better then what Funimation are putting out now to me. I lump them all together by the way.

Would not call all but a few of the CPM dubs a high level either.

[quote=Prede]
At any rate I’d rather any dub over no dub, even if the dub was kinda bad. I’m not liking the funi-factory dubs, but they are better then nothing at all. I’d much prefur some Amusement Park Media dubs tho. I think everyone knows my stance on that already.[/quote]

Hmm…let’s see:
Have any kind of dub even if it’s a crappola/by-the-numbers one (which is the majority of Funi’s as of late) for MSRP of $50-$60?
Or have sub only for MSRP $30-$40?

I’m going for what peaks my interests and so far the majority have all been sub-only.
For now.

GO Neo-ADV/Sentai/S23/Swithcblade/Happy Carrot…bring me some more juicy dubs.

[quote=psychopuppet]
Would not call all but a few of the CPM dubs a high level either.[/quote]

I got your point, but ignored it on purpose :wink: . My point is you can’t lump them together, since they are not like ADV or Funimation. That be like sayign a “geneon level dub” which to me makes no sense at all. Geneon like Black Lagoon or Karin? Geneon like Master Keaton or When they Cry? Both Geneon and CPM used many different ADR studios and to lump say a dub from 1992 from London with a late era NYC dub is quite a stretch IMO. I’ll be the first to admit CPM has a lot of bad dubs (Shadow STar Narutaru, masquerade), but they also have a lot of amazing dubs, and tons of mid-level dubs :wink: .You can’t lump them all together tho, because theres so many differences there. They are from all over time and Space O.o . I understand lumping Funi’s dubs all together, but not CPMs. In any case, I think Funi should strive to be better then what they are pumping out so far. But since they are the only guys out there dubbing everything, it’s hard to complain to them. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Eh in my mind if a company puts something out with a dub its them putting it out not who they got to do it. So I will lump them together.

So you lump Geneon, Bandia and Viz dubs together? That’s quite a leap IMO. It’s the ADR studio IMO that should be lumped together, not the R1.

Dub to me belongs to whomever put them out first not the ADR so a CPM dub is a CPM dub even if its getting put out by S23. A ADV dub is a ADV dub even if its being put out by S23 or Funimation. A Geneon/Pioneer dub is a Geneon/Pioneer dub even its being put out by someone else.

A CPM dub even if it was done by ADR studio bongwater (made up name) is still a CPM dub.

ADR studio may have recorded the dub ,but there would be no dub if not for the CPM or the Geneon/Pioneers . So its CPM’s Dubs.

It’s a simplistic and if you choose to make it complicated way of looking at it.

Sorry PP for the news. :frowning:

Well now that it’s confirmed… I can gloat now about nailing it, well in advance of any word of new show coming? :wink: Hey let me have a minute here! :stuck_out_tongue: As much as I am looking forward to watching this, I was hoping for a surprise or two from AS though. Seems like AS just goes for safe (per the complaints people keep complaining about in the AS thread we recently had here).

Well, AS now has 2 of the top 5 big mainstream properties under its roof now. Looks like the companies still view AS as the place to go for accessing critical mass.

[quote=dragoon]
Well, AS now has 2 of the top 5 big mainstream properties under its roof now. Looks like the companies still view AS as the place to go for accessing critical mass.[/quote]

I don’t think Viz Media does, seeing how they went with Naruto on Disney, which was a little risky, instead of trying to get it on cartoon network/adult swim. They also went with Monster of SyFy…if anything they seem to be avoiding Adult Swim at this point. What do they have there, just Bleach re-runs right?