Funimation Sues A.D. Vision, Sentai, Others for US$8 Million

[size=16]MOD SEAL OF DO IT OR ELSE![/size]

Now someone make me a seal!

We could always link it to FUNi ā€œstealingā€ him away from ADV after ADV scouted and recruted him for their dubs.

Sorry, I couldnā€™t resist.

Carry on.

Looping this whole thing back, as much as I can, if there were a funimation monopoly Vic would never voice again in anime, which I would consider a loss but I know that on the internet, or at least on ANN, Iā€™d be in the minority.

Edit:didnā€™t see the above 2 posts while I was posting this. :frowning:

I try not to think that funi ā€œstoleā€ several high profile actors from Sentaiā€¦ :wink:

[quote=ā€œpsychopuppetā€]

MOD SEAL OF DO IT OR ELSE!

Now someone make me a seal![/quote]

[size=15]POOF!![/size]

I think we are going to enter in the see more VAā€™s moving to other work. I know a lot of the known LA and NY VAā€™s have moved on to Cartoon and Video game work it seems. Theyā€™ll still do Anime but it seems some of them are not asked anymore or already have other work. Honestly the one VA I love to hear and have not heard a bad Voiceover from is Steven Blum. I even miss those Ruby Tuesday Commercials and Jamie from Megas XLR.

Itā€™s a white fire ferret lol.

I posted this a bit ago in the threadā€¦
I should (and will) add this to the first post as well, for those that want to look at the documents, since it is a matter of public record.

http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/eDocs/Public/Search.aspx

A D VISION INC vs. ARM CORPORATION
Case # 200823026

FUNIMATION ENTERTAINMENT vs. A D VISION INC
Case # 201167220

Hey guys, a ANN user named Delapidated posted an argument for ADV on why Funimation should drop their suit against them, so I just thought I like to paste his qoute:

"Funimation is not a creditor of ADV Films, no matter how much they try to convince themselves of that. What they have done is pulled off the insane argument that since Funimation acquired the anime titles that Sojitz licensed for ADV that they became the defacto creditor of ADV, which is false.

Sojitz pulled out of North America anime licensing and Funimation tried to make this argument fly. Iā€™m just shocked that the judge hasnā€™t laughed this one of court considering how frivolous this lawsuit is. No wonder there was a counter-suit filed.

Iā€™m also curious as to why Funimation doesnā€™t consider itself to be a monopolistic company. Their activity over the past few years gives proof that they are.

Genone, Bandai Entertainment, ADV Films ā€¦ Funimation has agressively pursued the anime titles they had and the company has become the defacto only anime company in North America.

Whatā€™s even more sad is that Funimation has tried dragging Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade through the mud, as well. Now, if anyone should have been dragged, it should have been Section 23, but they donā€™t even have a website and they donā€™t even release any anime. But, Switchblade and Sentai are their own companies who were just united under the ADV brand because, for some reason, they wanted to release their own licensed titles. Much in the same way that Viz was an imprint under the Eclipse International company brand when they first started out."

Only one I can think of is Jason, but he went over to Funi after ADV was having problems. Not like Chris Patton even played a major role for Funi. Lucy works with both companies on equal levels. Greg is the same. So, I donā€™t think Funi really used many of the ADV voice actors. I do wish Jason would return over and do roles for Sentai, but the man is busy enough.

With the Geneon stuff Iā€™ve been told they got offered some of them when the distro deal expired.
The ADV stuff some of it at least Funimation probably had deals set up with the Japanese owners and were just waiting for ADVā€™s rights to expire.
Sojitz stuff the whole thing has felt dirty from the start. I believe I let my feelings on that matter known since the start as well.

Other then that I have a feeling this thing might get worse before it gets better ,but really if it starts to effect the Anime releases coming out that is when Iā€™d start to worry. To then Iā€™d just recommend waiting to we get more info or things start to actually move forward if they even get that far.

Just for you, Pup!

[quote=ā€œNewshawkā€]

Just for you, Pup!

[/quote]

I love it.lol

[quote=ā€œVata_Ravenā€]

Only one I can think of is Jason, but he went over to Funi after ADV was having problems. Not like Chris Patton even played a major role for Funi. Lucy works with both companies on equal levels. Greg is the same. So, I donā€™t think Funi really used many of the ADV voice actors. I do wish Jason would return over and do roles for Sentai, but the man is busy enough.[/quote]
Hmmm, are you sure that Chris Patton never played a major role for Funimation?

How would you define ā€œmanyā€, because Iā€™m sure that we could name a fair number of people who started with ADV and have ended up with Funimation?

I really donā€™t see this part working as a sound argument. I like where it is coming from though, but the logic is thin and the Sentai haters on ANN can be sharp and ruthlessā€¦ :frowning: :laugh:

Perhaps if you borrow from President Clinton and argue of the definitions of ā€œde factoā€ and ā€œanime companyā€, as there are clearly still anime companies here, companies besides Funimation who manage to license some high-profile titles. Itā€™s anecdotal, but Iā€™m sure that yā€™all have seen comments galore over on ANNā€™s forums on some Sentai license announcements which make quips along the lines of: ā€œSentai licenses everythingā€ or ā€œIā€™m surprised that Funimation didnā€™t manage to get this titleā€.

A thought occurred to me, on the whole ā€œFuni monopolyā€ scenario: almost every release, besides being dubbed, would come in a blu-ray/DVD combo-pak. I truly wish the combo-pak were adopted by the other companies.

Not virtually all releases. Thanks to the reverse importation fears from some companies in Japan, namely Kadokowa, Funimation and others are being forced to delay bluray releases until several months after the DVD releases. Panty and Stocking and a few others have already been affected. We still donā€™t know how thatā€™s going to affect Sentaiā€™s Kadokowa titles like Another.

Maybe they should price the blue-rays at the equivalent of the Japanese price for the first three months, then reduce it to normal. Would stop reverse imports and theyā€™d sell a few at the inflated price Iā€™m sure.

And thatā€™ll do what? Itā€™ll just cause Funimation and Sentai to lose sells. They wouldnā€™t do that.

[quote=ā€œcelestial_beingā€]

[quote=ā€œVata_Ravenā€]

[quote=ā€œcelestial_beingā€]
I try not to think that funi ā€œstoleā€ several high profile actors from Sentaiā€¦ :wink: [/quote]
Only one I can think of is Jason, but he went over to Funi after ADV was having problems. Not like Chris Patton even played a major role for Funi. Lucy works with both companies on equal levels. Greg is the same. So, I donā€™t think Funi really used many of the ADV voice actors. I do wish Jason would return over and do roles for Sentai, but the man is busy enough.[/quote]
Hmmm, are you sure that Chris Patton never played a major role for Funimation?

How would you define ā€œmanyā€, because Iā€™m sure that we could name a fair number of people who started with ADV and have ended up with Funimation?[/quote]
Yup, Chris Patton was only in a handful of Funimation projects. Most important tole he played over there was the main bad guy for Soul Eater, Greed from FMA, and Creed from Black Cat, and those were years ago. Heā€™s mostly just stuck with ADV and heā€™s sure not going back to Funi now.

And of all those ADV voice actors that moved over to Funi, how many play a major role? Only a few.

I think they need to raise prices to like $80.00 for sub only series of 26 episodes and $100.00 for bilingual releases. Course those would both be Blu-ray/DVD Combo packs. 13 episodes like $55.00 for sub only and $65.00 for bilingual. Again Blu-ray/DVD Combo packs.

Edit: Of course those price would be MSRP .

[quote=ā€œpsychopuppetā€]I think they need to raise prices to like $80.00 for sub only series of 26 episodes and $100.00 for bilingual releases. Course those would both be Blu-ray/DVD Combo packs. 13 episodes like $55.00 for sub only and $65.00 for bilingual. Again Blu-ray/DVD Combo packs.

Edit: Of course those price would be MSRP .[/quote]
You say MSRPā€¦theyā€™re already that high or close to it.

I just find those prices for a combo pack to be more then fair. Now I know some of them are already close or about at that but those are one or the other releases that is what you have to keep in mind. Well Sentai at least Funimation is about already there so maybe they did something right at least. :wink:

Also remember if we were talking Japanese prices it could go from $300.00 and up above a grand sometimes.