Girls und Panzer

i been reading alot about this one in otaku usa,i is lookin forward to getting around it :woohoo:

All 12 Episodes (Dub) are LIVE on ANO

So I just finished it up, and I have to say that I enjoyed it much more than I expected. I actually found myself getting really into the tournaments. It was definitely a fun little show. I was also impressed that they didn’t go overboard with the fan service, like so many others do. I can really only think of a few scenes and even those were relatively tame. There also wasn’t a single panty shot to be seen.

I also really enjoyed the dub. It was nice to hear a Seraphim dub with so many newcomers. It felt very fresh and everyone was cast very well. I can’t compare it to the Japanese however, as I haven’t watched that version, but I think it holds up very well on its own. Janice Williams and the cast did a nice job here.

As far as the dub goes, it’s pretty alright. Although so far, I still have the same issues I had with the subtitles. But It’s nothing any normal person watching would know or care about, so I suppose it doesn’t matter to anybody buy myself. :unsure:

As for the matter of the replacement of the song Katyusha
 I kind of feel that Korobeiniki was a bad choice. Not many people know that it’s even a Russian folk song. To those who don’t know what Korobeiniki is, and haven’t seen the episode I’m talking about in the Dub yet

Korobeiniki is mostly known in the US, and likely many other parts of the world as being the song used as the Tetris theme in 1989. So yeah, they replaced the original song in that spot with what will be considered by many to be the the theme to Tetris. What’s worse, is while the music is playing, they just kind of sit there and do nothing. They don’t sing, they don’t talk, they don’t do anything, so it just feels really awkward and makes the entire thing seem forced, and has the opposite effect that the original song was intended to have.

It would have been better to just keep the scene cut out of the release if they couldn’t get the rights to use Katyusha.

I was wondering why in the American Adaptation, the scene with Katyusha was edited, and replaced with an instrumental version of the Tetris theme song (Korobeiniki). Is it because it was a soviet song, and America hates Soviets and communism?

I don’t see why Sentai filmworks couldn’t get the rights to have the song Kstyusha present in the dub, they got the rights to have songs in all their other anime, especially AKAB0048 and Angel Beats, all which have many songs. What makes this situation different.

The song was also cut from the Japanese release. It is due to licensing issues. It’s actually fairly common for anime companies to be unable to acquire the rights to music used in shows. It’s happened with many shows over the years, including shows from Sentai, ADV, and Funimation. The music was likely either too expensive or whoever owned the rights refused to license it for home video.

So no, cutting the song out had nothing to do with the Soviet Union or communism.

Well I’m glad that’s again confirmed. Helps turn down the creepiness factor.

Sentai’s most-hyped thing in months and y’all have burned through it in under a day lol. How does it compare to AKB’s dub?

If only
If only. :slight_smile:

I find it hilarious that there were licensing issues with a song from the USSR. Copyrights sound awfully close to Intellectual Property and I thought they considered that a “no-no”, that they disavowed that, that they simply could not allow it. :silly:

I honestly can’t compare it to AKB’s dub, because I haven’t got around to watching it yet. I was only able to watch Panzer because I was on vacation this past week and I don’t go back to work until Wednesday night. I will probably be checking it out soon though.

I really appreciate that this one doesn’t have gratuitous fan service. Sentai gets a lot of titles with fan service, so it is nice to have something that I can show my parents

Girls & Panzer’s Anzio OVA, Mitsubishi Campaign Outlined

posted on 2013-11-17 00:35 EST by Egan Loo

http://www.jlist.com/product/CL025H

OVA Cover/Disc Art

DVD

Blu-ray

This show is rather ridiculous and it knows it. As such it warranted a dub that embraced the riduculousness, similar to what Horizon, Tears to Tiara and Infinite Stratos have. Sadly, the dub of ep 1 of this plays it straight and flat. I’m not sure what happened with this one.

Sub of this is definitely closer to the mark than is the dub. Somehow, this show lacks energy: K-on! it ain’t. BTW, this would have been a great candidate for a commentary track as that could have, among other things, clued us in to the dubbing philosophy used for this one.

2 episodes in and no fun historical references. :frowning:

Girls & Panzer’s Anzio Anime Unveils July 5 Date & Designs

posted on 2014-02-09 01:00 EST by Lynzee Loveridge
Character & tank designs previewed along with PS Vita game’s bath poster

For as unhappy as some seemed to be with the dub, there was a reference in episode 2 that made me laugh;

spoiler

“we came, we saw, we shot” 
 it comes from “veni, vidi, vici” but it could also be considered a pop culture reference to a comment Hillary Clinton made about Libya, “we came, we saw, he died” 
 when she said it in the show I laughed and was like, “settle down, Hillary” 

I’d actually forgotten that quote with all of her other ones that came later.

I still am not feeling this dub. As the show went on, it seemed that they had verve when they were in the tank but were listless outside the tank. I want to think that was intentional.

Got the OVA BD in the mail yesterday. The Anka Dance eoisode is hilarious (and short). I like the Erwin and Yukari recon episode the best, with post victory celebration episode being the next best for me. (The Duck Team’s impersonation skit was funny, and the Hippo Team’s Little Women skit was funny too.)

Girls & Panzer’s Anzio Video Anime Previewed in Video

posted on 2014-04-04 11:00 EDT by Sarah Nelkin
New original video anime tells story of 2nd National Senshadƍ Championships