High School DxD

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-05/high-school-dxd-tv-anime-gets-2nd-season
[size=20]High School DxD TV Anime Gets 2nd Season[/size]
posted on 2012-09-05 06:25 EDT
Revealed in Blu-ray bundled with Ichiei Ishibumi’s 13th light novel volume

The Blu-ray Disc included with the 13th High School DxD light novel volume is revealing this month that production on a second High School DxD television anime season has been green-lit.

Ichiei Ishibumi’s original light novel series centers around Issei Hyōdō, a dim-witted, lecherous second-year high school student who is killed by a girl on his first date ever. Issei (Yuuki Kaji) is reincarnated as a devil, and from that day forward, he serves as an underling of Riasu (Yōko Hikasa), a high-level devil who is also the prettiest girl on Issei’s campus.

Tetsuya Yanagisawa directed the first season at the anime studio TNK with script writer Takao Yoshioka and character designer Junji Goto. The season premiered in Japan on January 6, and Funimation licensed the anime for North America. The 13th light novel volume is shipping this month with an unaired anime episode.

Update: The tagline from the Blu-ray’s promotional video reads, "Let’s go!! Boobs!*

1 Like

nice…

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-18/high-school-dxd-2nd-season-title-additional-cast-revealed
[size=20]High School DxD 2nd Season’s Title, Additional Cast Revealed[/size]
posted on 2013-03-18 16:15 EDT
Risa Taneda, Maaya Uchida, Haruka Yamazaki to added to High School DxD New cast

This year’s May issue of Fujimi Shobo’s Dragon Magazine is revealing on Tuesday additional cast members for the second season of High School DxD, titled High School DxD New. Risa Taneda (From the New World’s Saki, Oreshura’s Kaoru, Say, “I Love You”.'s Asami) will play Zenobia, Maaya Uchida (Yuruyuri’s Mari, Vividred Operation’s Rei) will play Irina Shidō, and Haruka Yamazaki (Hayate the Combat Butler’s Ruka, Vividred Operation’s Mizuha) will play Aika Kiriyū.

The new season was announced with the 13th light novel volume, which shipped last September. Ichiei Ishibumi’s original light novel series centers around Issei Hyōdō, a dim-witted, lecherous second-year high school student who is killed by a girl on his first date ever. Issei (Yuuki Kaji) is reincarnated as a devil, and from that day forward, he serves as an underling of Riasu (Yōko Hikasa), a high-level devil who is also the prettiest girl on Issei’s campus.

Tetsuya Yanagisawa directed the first season at the anime studio TNK with scriptwriter Takao Yoshioka and character designer Junji Goto. The season premiered in Japan on last January, and Funimation licensed the anime for North America for streaming and home video.

…is Funimation ever going to dub this?

Does this show have a chance of leaving Funimation’s version of Purgatory before we die of old age (as I hope Haganai also does), or is it damned to exist as a subbed, streaming-only title forever, ala Rainbow?

Funimation is slower than slow, they are the Ents of anime publishers. Rigum frigum ragum fragum…

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-29/high-school-dxd-new-anime-season-slated-for-july
[size=20]High School DxD New Anime Season Slated for July[/size]
posted on 2013-03-29 11:15 EDT

On Friday, the official Twitter account for the High School DxD anime posted a photo of the franchise’s Anime Contents Expo booth that revealed that the “anticipated” High School DxD New season will premiere in July.

The new season was announced with the 13th light novel volume, which shipped last September. Ichiei Ishibumi’s original light novel series centers around Issei Hyōdō, a dim-witted, lecherous second-year high school student who is killed by a girl on his first date ever. Issei (Yuuki Kaji) is reincarnated as a devil, and from that day forward, he serves as an underling of Riasu (Yōko Hikasa), a high-level devil who is also the prettiest girl on Issei’s campus.

For the second season, Risa Taneda (From the New World’s Saki, Oreshura’s Kaoru, Say “I love you”.'s Asami) will play Zenobia, Maaya Uchida (Yuruyuri’s Mari, Vividred Operation’s Rei) will play Irina Shidō, and Haruka Yamazaki (Hayate the Combat Butler’s Ruka, Vividred Operation’s Mizuha) will play Aika Kiriyū.

Tetsuya Yanagisawa directed the first season at the anime studio TNK with scriptwriter Takao Yoshioka and character designer Junji Goto.

The season premiered in Japan on last year, and Funimation licensed the anime for North America for streaming and home video.

:woohoo: I can’t wait to buy the first season!

###High School DxD New Anime Season’s 1st Promo Streamed
posted on 2013-03-30 09:55 EDT
Supernatural school comedy to premiere with returning cast, staff in July

When will Funimation finally dub & release the first season?

I expected this to be dubbed and out eons ago but if Haganai is any example it won’t be dubbed & released until after this sequel comes out, will it?

I really liked this show. (Finally caught the 1st season on Hulu)

One thing I really liked about it was the dichotomy between a lot of the characters.

Examples

-Issei’s a perv with a heart of Gold.

-Rias is a devil who’s still a virgin.

and -Asia still loves God even though she’s been turned into a devil.

Jamie Marchi as Rias Gremory

1 Like

Ouch. That dub could have been a LOT better. Dammit Funimation, you hit it out of the park with War on Geminar and now it sounds like you’re striking out with this.

Funimation has a history of not being able to properly do comedy. They can’t really do pervy either, so when it came to a pervy comedy they should have just left this one for Sentai to pick up. I mean, Goldenboy. Need I say more? :wink:

Jamie Marchi has made her mark in anime playing irreverent, happy-go-lucky characters who may or may not be vacuous but who are always overtly sexual 100% of the time. This character, Rias, is not exactly that.

Rias is half Hime, the cold, calculating and conniving borderline dominatrix woman from Princess Resurrection and half Belldandy from Oh My Goddess!.

Rias acts like Issei’s mom at times, going from badass to demure at the drop of a hat, which is hilariously creepy, but outside of the normal fare for Marchi. Marchi plays a similar character in War on Geminar but her character has an “older woman, younger guy” quasi-Mrs. Robinson thing going on, which is completely different than Rias’ trend of becoming motherly as Marchi’s character in War on Geminar doesn’t turn off the sexuality, ever, while Rias does.

Who directed this?

[quote=“celestial_being”]Ouch. That dub could have been a LOT better. Dammit Funimation, you hit it out of the park with War on Geminar and now it sounds like you’re striking out with this.

Funimation has a history of not being able to properly do comedy. They can’t really do pervy either, so when it came to a pervy comedy they should have just left this one for Sentai to pick up. I mean, Goldenboy. Need I say more? :wink:

Jamie Marchi has made her mark in anime playing irreverent, happy-go-lucky characters who may or may not be vacuous but who are always overtly sexual 100% of the time. This character, Rias, is not exactly that.

Rias is half Hime, the cold, calculating and conniving borderline dominatrix woman from Princess Resurrection and half Belldandy from Oh My Goddess!.

Rias acts like Issei’s mom at times, going from badass to demure at the drop of a hat, which is hilariously creepy, but outside of the normal fare for Marchi. Marchi plays a similar character in War on Geminar but her character has an “older woman, younger guy” quasi-Mrs. Robinson thing going on, which is completely different than Rias’ trend of becoming motherly as Marchi’s character in War on Geminar doesn’t turn off the sexuality, ever, while Rias does.

Who directed this?[/quote]

It’s only a few bits from the first episode. I will allay my judgment Until I see it as a whole. It might take an episode or 2 for the actors to get in stride with the characters. Look at the Dusk Maiden dub as an example, it took Emily Neves, Clint Bickham and Jessica Boone about 2-3 episodes before they got comfortable with the characters (Although Brittney Karbowski was knocking it out of the park with Okonogi the whole time.)

[quote=“celestial_being”]
Who directed this?[/quote]

Here’s the cast listing courtesy of ANN:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-25/funimation-reveals-high-school-dxd-future-diary-dub-casts

[quote]The High School DxD dub cast is as follows:

Issei - Scott Freeman
Akeno - Teri Rogers
Kiba - Sean O’Connor
Rias - Jamie Marchi
Koneko - Jad Saxton
Asia - Chloe Daniels
Yuma Amano - Felecia Angelle
Matsuda - Tyson Rinehart
Motohama - Ruben Tadeo Garcia

Additionally, the staff on the dub is as follows:

Head Writer - John Burgmeier
Lead Writer - Jamie Marchi
Writer - RJ McVale
ADR Director - Colleen Clinkenbeard
Mix Engineer - Adrian Cook

The television anime adaptation of Ichiei Ishibumi’s High School DxD light novel series follows Issei Hyōdō, a dim-witted, lecherous second-year high school student who is killed by a girl on his first date ever. Issei is reincarnated as a devil, and from that day forward, he serves as an underling of Riasu, a high-level devil who is also the prettiest girl on Issei’s campus.

Tetsuya Yanagisawa directed at the anime studio TNK with script writer Takao Yoshioka and character designer Junji Goto.

Funimation streamed the 12-episode series as it aired in Japan last year. A sequel series, High School DxD New, will premiere in July.[/quote]

###High School DxD New Sequel’s 1st Episode Preview Streamed
posted on 2013-06-02 00:25 EDT
2nd season of supernatural school comedy to premiere with returning cast, staff in July

###High School DxD New Sequel’s 2nd Promo Video Teases Story
posted on 2013-06-10 12:00 EDT
Supernatural school comedy’s 2nd season begins with Excalibur story from light novels

[size=16]Funimation to Stream High School DxD New[/size]
posted on 2013-07-12 02:00 EDT

Well the dub of this was raunchier than I expected. I laughed, but Funimation still lacks that comedic spark that ADV had. Goldenboy is still the gold (lol) standard for raunchy comedy dubs and this doesn’t quite rank up there.

I also think that this show was funnier with the cheesy censorship. It was almost weird watching it without that as I’d gotten used to it from previously watching the Japanese version.

Just got the Blu-Ray / DVD combo pack.

-The commentaries as usual were great. (One of the things I like about Funi’s releases) but it’s totally unacceptable to not dub the Gentlemen’s Club mini-episodes and the Fantasy Jiggles episodes, while I’m an ardent sub fan, if you’re going to dub the main episodes, it really seems like you either got them really late (hence only had enough time to slap them on the Master for the Discs) or you didn’t have enough money to pay the actors to do them.

I can forgive not having the eps 13-14 OVAs on it because they were only recently released, though.

Awww they didn’t dub those? That’s brutal as I couldn’t get past ep 7 of this show with the sub as the sub completely failed at depicting Asia imho (and the dub blows the sub away for this series par for the course with this type o show). Just about to finish season 1 on streaming.

I wish the relationship between issei and rias had been more like the relationships in Princess Resurrection but it was still good enough that I’ll probably buy it and rack up some signatures on it.

Finished watching the dub.

I liked it a lot, I thought Jamie Marchi and Scott Freeman were outstanding as Rias and Issei.