Kaleido Star

Sorry was delayed, last night and this morning have been a mess for me. Will be watching DVD 3 and 4 early tonight, after work and dinner (got all tonight cleared for it).

It’s all good.
Just don’t get too far behind, otherwise, you’ll have more than 2 DVDs to cover in one night.

Just finished DVD 3.

These were a great set of episodes! The story starts to really get going here with Sora making her own way and

DVD 3 Spoilers inside

[details=spoiler]the rivalry between her and Layla and finally being truly accepted as worthy of sharing the stage with.

• Loved the episode with Anna’s father. I got misty in this episode 2x ;( when Sora was talking to Anna’s father why she was so strong in her resolve to repair the relationship between them - since she felt it was in some ways connected to her tragic past. Then also when Anna and her father finally connected on stage. Double ;( Great emotional storyline.

• Anna’s father Rob Mungle. Gotta love it! :slight_smile: Fantastic person for comedic roles. Also the owner of the comedy club is Mike Macrae. He and Mike seem to get pairing roles in ADV dubs a lot, and the chemistry is great.

-Loved the fool moments as Coffee noted. Like him trying to kiss Sora, then the when Sora caught him in her diabolo cup and also the way he talked about Layla’s audacity for wanting to shower. :slight_smile:

-Excellent final portions of the last episode with the Arabian nights excitement, building tension with the performance and Layla finally accepting Sora. The emotions ran the gamut.

The final moments of the performance had me spellbound and holding my breath, even though I’ve seen this episode maybe 5 or 6 times now (when Sora slipped at the end and Layla grabbed her).[/details]

Great bunch of episodes!

Onto… tonight’s DVD 4, which will have 5 episodes so it’s gonna be a bit more to go through. Will be back later tonight to post about DVD 4.

Unfortunately, due to being busy at work and home, I"m a disc and half behind. I hope to get caught up tomorrow!

DVD 4 (eps. 14-18)

This will probably be short, but I might add something to it later.

And here, we see it starting to get complicated.

[details=spoiler]The Yuri storyline I actually really like.

It shows the many challenges to overcoming adversity that the characters go through.

Sora loses the ability to see the Fool, but is reminded by something Layla says to Yuri…this is not the end, as it’s only over if she chooses it to be over. And once she internally accepts that, the Fool comes into view again.

I also really love the music they used during the Freedom show scenes.[/details]

DVD 4.

These episodes were awesome, so much ranges of emotion.

DVD 4 Spoilers

[details=spoiler]- Loved the fool scene where he’s being tied up and he says, I haven’t done anything - YET! :wink:

• The Yuri episodes were indeed awesome, especially to see how all the characters are reacting to the changes around them. It reminds me of the anime industry. :frowning: And Sora’s eventual positive attitude is as the thematic message of the series… inspirational.

• I was about to also mention when the Freedom story was finally finished and presented to the cast, the music in that scene was awesome, wasn’t it?[/details]

Exceptionally enjoyable. Can not wait to rewatch these final episodes of Season 1, where the best is coming. :smiley:

DVD 5 (eps. 19-22)

I forgot to mention in my last post, but DVD 4 starts my favorite of the OP/ED songs.

These episodes give a whole bunch of various character development.

[details=spoiler]After leaving Kaleido Stage, the three girls, Sora, Anna, and Mai decide to make their own company, and with the help of fellow Freedom performers, along with Rosetta and Dio, they start performing at Marine Park.

And here enters the Masked Star, who performs an amazing feat, which gets them a contract with Marine Park.
-I like what they did for the dub for the park owner, when he says after the Masked Star appears for the first time…
“That, scared the pee out of me!”

Yuri continues to be a pain in the ass, blocking their efforts to get their company, Freedom Lights, more well known.

We also come to find out at the festival that the Masked Star is really Layla (who Sora thought it was all the time) and Layla admits to her father that she’ll never be happy with movies because she wants to do a performance that shakes her to her core, and she’s finally found a partner that can help her accomplish that, Sora.

And with that in her heart, she notices the Fool sitting above Sora’s shoulder and he comes into view for the first time for her.[/details]

I can’t wait for the season 1 finale tomorrow!

[quote=dragoon]
You should get Kaleido Star at one point, it’s actually gonna be one of the ones in that list PM for you. :wink:

I’m up for watching Nadesico or Colorful (I’ve been wanting to write a review for this on my site) soon, and I’m trying to get Orphen 1 and 2 soon…[/quote]

I meant to mention this when we were talking about it earlier but I forget. Anyway a few months ago I was in Gamestop and they had the Orphen Video game for the Ps2 for sale for like a couple bucks. It was used but whatever I bought it lol. Still haven’t played it, but looked at the credits and sadly ADV did not dub it :frowning: . But is does have a dub. Whenever I get around to playing it I’ll be sure to let yah know the the game (and the dub) is :wink: .

[quote=Prede]

[quote=dragoon]
You should get Kaleido Star at one point, it’s actually gonna be one of the ones in that list PM for you. :wink:

I’m up for watching Nadesico or Colorful (I’ve been wanting to write a review for this on my site) soon, and I’m trying to get Orphen 1 and 2 soon…[/quote]

I meant to mention this when we were talking about it earlier but I forget. Anyway a few months ago I was in Gamestop and they had the Orphen Video game for the Ps2 for sale for like a couple bucks. It was used but whatever I bought it lol. Still haven’t played it, but looked at the credits and sadly ADV did not dub it :frowning: . But is does have a dub. Whenever I get around to playing it I’ll be sure to let yah know the the game (and the dub) is :wink: .[/quote]

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on that. I remember the game, as I almost got it back in the day when I got a PS2 around launch, but never actually did.

DVD 5

Just finished Volume 5.

Coffee, yeah I forgot to mention that as well, and I love both dearly, especially the OP2, which is definitely better than the OP1.

DVD 5 Spoilers

[details=spoiler]- Fool continues to delight, as always. :slight_smile:

• Rosetta is back!
  • The heart-touching first episode in the DVD with Sora and her parents was especially sweet. LOL’d when Ken called her dad, dad. Poor dreamer. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Yuri’s shenanigans provide a great counterpoint in the storyline, with the added tension he brings, but also the tension between Layla and her Father.
  • Last episode in the DVD was just great, with the climax in the arc, regarding the previously mentioned tension… then Layla seeing the Spirit of the Stage. What a great moment.[/details]

I too can’t wait for the Season 1 final Volume. Without question my favorite volume of this season and perhaps the whole series, although the final volume of Season 2 is also tremendously awesome.

[quote=dragoon]

So uh…any idea for what one you want to watch? My vote goes to Orphen, but like I said I’d totally be up for any of them. Also who else will join us? We should start planning early so we get enough watchers :stuck_out_tongue: . We should like make a topic to see what everyone else wants or something hehe. Or how else are you guys planning these things? I see the Kaleido Star one is going by fine btw. I hope your all enjoying it. I’ll have to watch it one day.

Of course we won’t be watching whatever show we pick for awhile I know, but still.

Not sure yet, since I’m not exactly sure when I’ll be able to get Orphen yet. If I did, then that would be my vote. :wink: Other than that of the list you presented before Martian Successor Nadesico, I’d be up for, and I want to re-watch Colorful soonish, since I haven’t watched it yet and the ADV Studios feature since getting the DVD recently.

Sorry, for being late but figure I would at least comment on the last DVD.

DVD 6

[details=spoiler]1. Remember being surprised that Charotto and Julie pulled those sticks out of their rears. Was something to see them praise Sora.

1. Like the training, especially when Sora ran out to tell Layla to stop with the diet.

2. Was nice to see Layla dad finally show up.

3. The Legendary Great Maneuver was more impressive then I would have imagined.

4. Seeing Sora scream in despair gets to me every time.[/details]

DVD 6 (23-26)

And this concludes Season 1…

[details=spoiler]Even with seeing it so many times this year, I actually almost forgot how powerful the ending to this season was.

These episodes cover the growth of various characters, as well as the trials and training for the Legendary Great Maneuver, and the accompliment of it.

Like Shawn, the end, after they complete the maneuver, when Layla says she’ll never be able to be at Kaleido Stage any more and Sora runs off screaming and crying in despair…that part is just so powerful and gets my tear ducts flowing every time.[/details]

Time for the gear change now, moving on to Season 2 tomorrow.

Good comments, good to see we are unanimous. :wink:

That was just an amazing ending, I must have watched this final 2 episodes maybe 10x now and it still always touches me in the same way as it did when I first saw it. Few endings have this kind of soaring impact on me. The combination of the story, visuals, music climaxing storylines in one episode - it’s just great stuff.

[details=spoiler]My favorite scenes were the actual execution of the Great Maneuver where everyone realizes what it was and how they achieved it, when Kalos talks about their faith in life that it keeps death at bay.

And then the powerful final moments resolving Layla’s storyline of the entire season and the realization by Sora of that end… along with the music, just so touching.

Hand me that kleenex of yours Coffee. ;)[/details]

Going to watch the Dub Commentary Extra of the final disc of season 1 later today as it’s getting a bit late for me now.

Can’t wait to start on Season 2 tomorrow night.

And just to remind, the greatness continues:

Reminder: Season 2 Group Viewing Schedule

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
Sunday 12/13 - Kaleido Star: New Wings DVD 1 (episodes 1-5)
Monday 12/14 - Kaleido Star: New Wings DVD 2 (episodes 6-9)
Tuesday 12/15 - Kaleido Star: New Wings DVD 3 (episodes 10-13)
Wednesday 12/16 - Kaleido Star: New Wings DVD 4 (episodes 14-18)
Thursday 12/17 - Kaleido Star: New Wings DVD 5 (episodes 19-22)
Friday 12/18 - Kaleido Star: New Wings DVD 6 (episodes 23-25 + Extra Stage)[/quote]

[quote=dragoon]

spoiler

Hand me that kleenex of yours Coffee. :wink:

[details=spoiler]-lol-
I haven’t bought a box of kleenex since I was 16.
I just let the tears flow, without the sniffles.[/details]

DVD 1 (eps. 1-5) Season 2

I just can’t get over how awesome the soundtrack for this is.
Those string and horn parts in these episodes just blow me away every time I hear them!

[details=spoiler]So the first two episodes are recaps from the first season.
I just noticed this with this viewing, but Jay Hickman actually FUBARed Sora, Mia, and Anna’s company name once, in the second episode. He called it Freedom Rights, instead of Freedom Lights. -lol-
I found it humorous, because that’s a common mistake when converting Japanese to English.
He only did it once though, so it was obviously an oversight on the ADR Director’s part.

The next three episodes are introductory episodes with new characters as well as old.

As much as I dislike parts of May’s personality, she really does help Sora to start to gain some confidence back and slowly push her out of her emo funk she was in after Layla left.

And Leon comes off as a real hard nose, but I actually really like his personality.
(not to mention, I have a long hair fetish!) -lol-[/details]

Kaleido Star New Wings DVD 1

I love the new themes Tatoo Kiss and Escape. :slight_smile:

Coffee yeah, the music is just phenomenal. As far as music that goes along with the visuals that just connects with me emotionally, this hits all the right notes. Perhaps the best in all anime in my book, even though sonically I would give the nod to Kajiura for .hack//sign, noir or madlax… but as far as just pulling raw emotions out of me along with the visuals, this is tops for me.

Especially in Episode 3 tonight with all the different orchestral themes!

Did you guys watch the Day with Serena Varghese Extra? I love the video especially when she goes to the ADV Studios. :slight_smile:

Spoiler Season 2 DVD 1

[details=spoiler]Yeah May is ultracompetitive. She actually reminds me of you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally I love her personality, but I will say a lot of it has to do with Hilary Haag’s amazing performance. As you and I have discussed before, many times, Hilary is just so great for firebrand roles. :slight_smile:

I also enjoyed the brief break episode with Rosetta, she brings a nice dimension to the storyline with her cute-vibe and bringing in the viewers with the feeling of having to protect her.

Like May, Leon’s character is great counterpoint and I really love the tension and excitement they bring to the storyline. [/details]

You know, Season 2, every time I watch it, it gets even better and better for me. Season 1 does too, but I think I definitely prefer Season 2 due to the tension factor and building on all the existing elements from Season 1. Gonzo used to be so fantastic with their second seasons (this and Vandread).

Can’t wait for tomorrow’s episodes!

[quote=dragoon]
Kaleido Star New Wings DVD 1

I love the new themes Tatoo Kiss and Escape. :slight_smile:

Coffee yeah, the music is just phenomenal. As far as music that goes along with the visuals that just connects with me emotionally, this hits all the right notes. Perhaps the best in all anime in my book, even though sonically I would give the nod to Kajiura for .hack//sign, noir or madlax… but as far as just pulling raw emotions out of me along with the visuals, this is tops for me.

Especially in Episode 3 tonight with all the different orchestral themes!

Did you guys watch the Day with Serena Varghese Extra? I love the video especially when she goes to the ADV Studios. :)[/quote]

Yeah, the Madlax soundtrack still holds top place for me, but the KS soundtrack is definitely not far behind in second place.

I already miss the OP 2/ED 2.
I’m not too fond of the rest, but OP 3 (Tatoo Kiss) is certianly better than OP 1. Sadly though, if I remember correctly, the rest of season 2 just has OP 3.

[details=spoiler]Yeah May is ultracompetitive. She actually reminds me of you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pfft!
How in the world does that remind you of me??[/details]

I’ve been skipping the extras, since I saw them already this year.
I’ll probably watch them again in a year or two, when I’ve hadtime to mostly forget about them.

spoiler

When you’re competitive, you’re unstoppable and fierce. :smiley: Like last year’s contest!

DVD 2 (eps. 6-9) Season 2

Only 4 episodes, but jam packed with all kinds of character development and competition.

[details=spoiler]Sora and May compete again for Leon’s attention and the leading role, this time on the ice. Though Sora had never ice skated before, in three days she became proficient enough to give May a run for her money, but in the end, Leon chose May to be his partner in the show.

The music for that part (along with a later part) is just so intense and awesome. With each viewing, the soundtrack sticks in my mind more and more. It just might beat out the Madlax soundtrack eventually as my favorite.

The episode with Rosetta wanting to learn the trapeze was a refreshing side story, along with the final episode involving the kids stage show.

But the highlight of these episodes, was definitely the return of Layla to the series.

Layla invites Sora to come do Salme with her on her vacation, and May overhears the invitation and follows Sora to take the role from her. Another competition ensues and turns into them both getting the role. Layla wants them to steal the show from her with passion and fire, but even as they fight each other to gain the audiences’ attention, they realize, neither of them has the passion to overcome Layla’s performance.

The end of the episode, we find that Layla can still see Fool faintly…which implies her role in Kaleido Stage isn’t over just yet.[/details]