Kaleido Star

[quote=dragoon]

spoiler

When you’re competitive, you’re unstoppable and fierce. :smiley: Like last year’s contest!

That reminds me (sorry for going off topic a bit) are we doing the TANies this year? >.>

[quote=PretearHimeno]
That reminds me (sorry for going off topic a bit) are we doing the TANies this year? >.>[/quote]

Nope, it’s done for - at least in the way it was set with having best of and worst of types. Especially now, where we mods feel there’s a great deal of apathy with people posting other than to joke around - we don’t want to rock the boat and demotivate anyone.

The mods were unanimous on the negative effects it created last year with too many regulars either complaining of not getting nominated or winning, feeling left out and also losing. PP and Wolfo had some pretty strong statements against it, diminishing the entire thing (ie. public statements of glad they did not win, etc). Rai didn’t care much overall, and I even nominated him. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have myself have mixed feelings about it, since I was getting a bunch of constant PMs from people feeling rejected and demotivated that no one nominated them or that they lost.

The whole thing was so up and down last year, people who said they’d participate in voting, tallying, etc, did not (it took like 3-4 months for the whole process to be completed) and the process kept getting delayed. Too much apathy.

If we are to do it again, one thing slowhand suggested last year (when we were discussing the whole Tannies issue) is perhaps change it to “fun categories” instead - like most likely to so and so, or something of that nature where if people don’t get nominated or don’t win, they don’t feel rejected or demotivated.

In my view, it would be nice if we as a forum could do something together as a group, but with more of a fun concept. If folks have potential ideas that the whole forum can participate in we’re definitely interested in positive and new ideas.

Posting about KS now…

Season 2 DVD 2

I really liked this volume, even though it wasn’t perhaps as exciting as some others. It had 2 competition based episodes and 2 more devoted to character development. I actually liked the contrast these episodes provided.

S2 DVD2 Spoiler

[details=spoiler]

• One LOL moment for me was the Rossette episode where when she first got on the swing, she just kept moving her feet like crazy, but nothing happened! To which May then burst onto the scene. :wink:

• LOL at the Fool for trying to get Sora to invite May for a sleep-over. To patch their differences. Wink, wink. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Loved the ice skating episode with May and Sora battling it out! Them seeking Leon’s attention adds a lot of excitement to the series. I love Mike Macrae as Leon, even though his accent is kind of continental rather than the expected accent. But his performance and talents just shine through. Really brings the character to home base for me.

• The Layla episode is gorgeous. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again - I love the costume and character designs of this series. The whole play on the Bible’s Herod and Salome storyline was always a point of fascination to me with its use in this case.

• I love the last parts of the episode where Layla tries to ignite Sora but also tells her ultimately she needs to stand on her own two feet to realize both their dreams for Kaleido Star.

• Coffee, nice phrasing with the final portion of that where the Fool is faintly seen. Foreshadowing…[/details]

If I remember right, the next DVD starts to get real exciting. I believe it’s the point of the series where when I first saw it, I fell head over heels for season 2. :slight_smile: Can’t wait for tomorrow night’s batch of episodes!

DVD 3 (eps. 10-13) Season 2

Lots of depth in these episodes…

I’m feeling a distinct lack of motivation tonight, so I’m going to copy/paste what I posted from our last viewing.

[details=spoiler]Poor, poor Sora. She doesn’t know what she wants any more.

Though a lot of stuff happen in this volume, the majority of this volume was spent on character development of Sora.

The International Circus Festival is coming up and Sora wants to win just like Layla three years ago, though she finds out she doesn’t have an invitation. Layla enters again, this time with Pheonix tickets, and offers them to Sora, as well as Leon, who we find out is the “God of Death” or destroyer of dreams. Everyone who partners with him ends up leaving the limelight and stage with dashed hopes and dreams. May wants to go as well, and Leon tells her to prove it to him in the next show how much she wants to go. Leon, being as he is, injures May’s shoulder in an improve moment. He then torments Sora with a rigorous training regiment until Layla finally says something about him being afraid of Sora, and in his usual egotistical manner, tells Sora she passed. May is heartbroken yet again, first the purposeful improve resulting in an injured shoulder and a verbal beating from Leon, now this, the acceptance of Sora’s fortitude by Leon.

Is this the Kaleido Star Sora wants to be?
Does she have a strong enough heart to walk over others dreams to fulfill her own desires and dreams?

Though Sora passed the ultra difficult “training” from Leon, one more test lays ahead of her, a basic maneuver ending in Leon catching her. Due to her lack of trust in Leon, she’s not able to let go and fails the test.

May proves that she not only wants to be there at Kaleido Stage, but she also wants to be Leon’s partner. Injured shoulder and all, she creates her own new maneuver, the Demon Spiral, winning over Sora to go to the International Circus Festival with Leon.

Dejected and depressed, Sora mopes around and finally realizes that Yuri has Pheonix tickets as well, and flies off to Paris where he’s schooling to beg to be his partner. Yuri, being much more humble this time around, accepts and practices the Angel’s Maneuver with Sora to counter the May’s Demon Spiral.

Yuri and Leon seem to know each other, and have a strong dislike for each other as well.

While Sora is at the competition, she realizes this is not the person she wants to be, another destroyer of dreams, and withdraws from the competition and disappoints Layla in the process, also giving Leon and May the win.[/details]

As a side subject…

[details=spoiler]I noticed this in my other viewings, but I don’t think I ever brought it up, but I was reminded with tonight’s viewing that I wanted to mention this.

Why didn’t they dub Leon saying “Emma” in this scene?

It’s really awkward to watch his mouth move and nothing being said, then Emma saying, “Good, you remember me.”[/details]

Kaleido Star Season 2 DVD 3 Discussion

Pffft, how lazy of you Coffee. ;( You’re only forgiven this once because it was an awesome post.

Spoiler and side subject:

[details=spoiler]I really enjoyed this DVD perhaps the most vs the first 2 volumes so far due to all the tension and the internal demons Sora is fighting… as you said she’s still looking for what the true meaning of a star is. At this point, she still thinks it’s following Layla’s path, but now, especially in this volume… that is wavering.

The music in these episodes really got to me, so powerful, coupled with all the tense visuals and storyline.

As far as your second question:

Yeah that made me lol. :smiley: It’s definitely noticeable and odd that’s for sure. :frowning:

I believe they dubbed that, but it was most likely human error in the production process with someone forgetting to include the file during the editing process, or perhaps accidentally deleting it in the timeline. By the time they finalized the episode with the video and audio together, probably they either missed it or the QC people who spotted it were over-ruled or ignored if the DVD HAD to go to the replicator and it was too late… Pure speculation on my part though. I doubt we’d learn the truth now. I don’t recall it ever coming up before back in the day.

Around the time Vol 3 came out, that’s when the industry’s shit was starting to hit the fan with the collapse of the retail market for anime, and ADV was scrambling around this time, everyone was getting hit bad and Central Park Media for all intents and purposes closed, unofficially. Kaleido Star 2 was one of those productions that was in a very tight situation with very strict limits on time and budget due to poor sales and it truly was a labor of love that they almost decided not to do, but they liked the show too much and wanted it to be completed for the fans. But it was still one of those shows that was caught in a tight process and maybe they felt they couldn’t afford to go back to it when production needed to move. Luckily or perhaps unluckily for them… during these tough periods, a few weeks later, Sojitz came to the scene. [/details]

I figured since I wasn’t in the frame of mind to write something astoundingly ambitious, I might as copy/paste from when I was.
I did watch it though, so all is good.

[details=spoiler]Ahh, yeah, that makes more sense than them not dubbing it at all.
I hadn’t thought about the editing process stuff goes through after the dubbing, when they put everything together from the production.[/details]

Off to go watch the next DVD!

Kaleido Star Season 2 DVD 4

This DVD was heavily slanted on character development and growing interaction and understanding of the main characters. I really enjoyed it, lots of tension and human drama.

S2 DVD 4 Spoiler/discussion:

[details=spoiler]

• Oh the fool with his hi-jinx. :smiley: Loved the part where he tried to suggest a bath while Rosetta and Sora were having tea outside, and Sora rocketed him to the sky. :smiley:

• Really enjoyed Sora’s return to Japan episode. It gave us finally a glimpse of her home-life, her roots and in this episode her refuge from all the doubt, confusion and loss of path and will she was experiencing.

• Humorous bits with Ken and Jerry (Policeman) roaming the streets of Japan. Loved those! I was cracking up so much when Ken finally got the strength to tell her his feelings, but then Policeman diminished it all by saying… And I like you too! :smiley:

• Two of the key scenes of tension really were very notable, when Layla returned and May sensed the focus shifting back to Sora, she turned to her but in soliloquy expresses how Sora is drawn to the competition regardless of what she says. The way Hilary Haag says it though is just awesome. I can feel her emotion so profoundly in those lines.

• I also love the acting by Kira Vincent Davis and Nancy Novotny especially in these groups of episodes. Like the part where Mia thought she was going to get replaced, her overreactions were priceless. :slight_smile:

• Favorite scene: When Leon went up to get Sora and drew her to the stage. When the music started to play, and Sora did the mini-angels maneuver… man, that scene just melted my heart. ;( One of my favorite scenes in all of this season.

• The itch is getting to Layla… we’re seeing some foreshadowing that something about Sora’s renewed passion is also affecting her. Should find out tomorrow exactly what it is. ;)[/details]

DVD 4 (eps. 14-18) Season 2

The depth of the story at this point is just awesome.
I almost went on to the next DVD last night because I didn’t want to stop.

[details=spoiler]I honestly can’t think of anything to write that covers the extent of awesomeness of last night episodes, but there was a couple of points I wanted to make.

-Hilary did such a superb job with the emotion when Sora refused to compete and May slapped her and called her a coward.
That part was just stunning emotionally.

-As you pointed out, Layla is getting sucked back into the fire and passion that is Sora.
I loved that last little part at the end, where she said the spark was back in Sora’s eyes, and the scene slowly focused on Layla’s eye as she questions again the feeling that’s welling up. You can see the passion in her eye as she speaks.[/details]

Indeed, great points all around. Tonight will be a challenge… how will we find the will not to watch the finale right after and hold it off for Friday night? :wink:

If you don’t, I’ll understand.
I’m not sure I have the willpower to do so.

Since I happen to be up, I’m actually watching todays DVD right now.

I’ll try to stick to it, so I have something to look forward to tomorrow. But we’ll see if my resolve weakens when I actually watch it tonight.

I’m listening to the music now, the theme that got to me last night, during the scene where Leon and Sora did the mini angel’s maneuver … Niji to Hiari to Kaze to Kuni. Such a powerful theme, I couldn’t find it on YT or anywhere. When the violins start to soar - chokes me up. ;_;

[quote=dragoon]
I’m listening to the music now, the theme that got to me last night, during the scene where Leon and Sora did the mini angel’s maneuver … Niji to Hiari to Kaze to Kuni. Such a powerful theme, I couldn’t find it on YT or anywhere. When the violins start to soar - chokes me up. ;_;[/quote]

It was probably on imeem, I’d hunt it down, but since Myspace bought imeem, they no longer exist as a viable streaming option now.

DVD 5 (eps. 19-22) Season 2

I loved the music for this volume!
Though we’ve heard these scores before throughout the series, the mixture between action scores and emotional scores was mixed to perfection in this volume!

[details=spoiler]

• In France we find out who Sophie really is and what connection Leon and Sophie had and the training they went through to try to perfect the Angel’s Maneuver. Also while they are there, May is realizes what Layla meant by “The Importance of a smile.” and what she herself is lacking when compared to Sora.

• Getting back from France, Kalos re-instates Sora’s contract and makes her the lead for the next show. Yuri also comes back with them as producer for the new show and wants Sora to do the Angel’s Maneuver as the shows finale.

• We also learn of Yuri’s dark secret and why Leon hates him so. And Yuri challenges Leon to a sword dual, both, so Leon could get the revenge he’s been seeking and to push Leon into a corner so he can face his past, his future, and most of all, Sora, the girl who reminds him so much of his sister, Sophie, and possibly the only one who could perfect the true Angel’s Maneuver and become a true Kaleido Star.
    The dual with Leon and Yuri was awesome!

-Leon goes back to giving Sora special training for the Angel’s Maneuver, but when he sees the balance flaws she has after a little while of grueling training, he tells her it’s been perfected and just needs fine tuning. She can’t accept this and continues to push herself beyond her feats physical limits. She doesn’t want to lie to the audience by doing a fake maneuver.

-Meanwhile, at the same time, Layla is also getting reports on Sora from the girls keeping an eye on her, and she’s pushing herself and training to also perfect the Angel’s Maneuver.

So it seems, though it’s been long in building, we’ll get to see a final showdown between Layla and Sora after all.[/details]

To this point, I haven’t popped the next one in yet.
I might make it to tomorrow after all! -lol-

Kaleido Star Season 2 DVD 5 Discussion

I’m able to hold steadfast to the schedule after all, as I had a few things come up tonight and I forgot these had 2 commentary extras, so it’s like I had to go through 6 episodes.

These were some wonderful set up episodes for the finale!

[details=spoiler]

• When I watched it a few hours ago this evening… Doh, I forgot one Fool portion that had me cracking up so much. Do you remember which really funny ones there were in this DVD? It wasn’t the soda one.

• Some very touching moments in these sets of episodes that finally explained a great deal of Leon and Sophie’s back-stories and connections to it with Yuri and now Sora.

• Also the back-story with Sora and her idol are finally realized in these sets of episodes. That portion of the story has come full circle.

• The duel scene was indeed awesome! Sandra Krasa had some really excellent comments about that scene in the commentary extras. Great tension and romanticism in that scene.

• Love the bits with Layla’s spies hanging about. :wink: Good extra layer of comic relief.[/details]

Can not wait for tomorrow night, perhaps my favorite singular DVD and ending!

[quote=dragoon]

spoiler

- When I watched it a few hours ago this evening… Doh, I forgot one Fool portion that had me cracking up so much. Do you remember which really funny ones there were in this DVD? It wasn’t the soda one.

[details=spoiler]

There’s always fun Fool moments (for the most part at least), but for me, they generally get pushed to the side in favor of all the intense drama and action/competition moments.

However, just for the hell of it, let’s list off all the fun Fool moments in these episodes.

Episode 19
-Fool half stuck in Rosetta’s suitcase as she goes to France.

Episode 20
-The Fool gets sprayed with shaken up soda, not once, but twice.

Episode 21
-The Fool tells Sora to buy new underwear. (-lol- probably the one you were trying to think of)
Sora: Not gonna happen.
Fool: No uncertainty there.[/details]

you know i never finished it, although i love the main character’s name sora

Coffee hmm, not those. But those were funny! :smiley: Good memory that you remembered those immediately.

I love my memory!
Though truefully, I re-skimmed the episodes to list them.

If it wasn’t one of those, it was probably from an earlier/later episode than the ones we covered yesterday.

There was another one, in episode 22, where he tells Sora “Who’s the fool now”, but I wouldn’t really consider it one of the funnier parts, so I didn’t bother listing it.

DVD 6 (ep. 21-25 + Extra Stage) Season 2 End

I don’t think I can write anything better than I did for the first viewing, so I’ll use that for this, with an added extra bit from this viewing.

That is still an amazingly powerful ending!
And again, I was actually in tears because of it.
This is the way all anime should end in my opinion (probably others as well).

[details=spoiler]This disc is basically the finalizing and loose end tying of all the major and minor characters, and a build up for them to work as hard as they can to accomplish their dreams, both on stage and off stage. Working towards a common goal of making this next performance, a performance the Stage has never seen.

Layla comes back to have one last “hoorah”, a competition with Sora for the main part, driving Sora to be the best she can be and to perfect the true Angel’s Maneuver showing off her Angel’s Heart and Sora wins, captivating both the show members in the audience as well as Layla.

The opening day final performance is set at a special time. The Angel’s Maneuver is to be accomplished right at sunrise, with the doors open and the rising sun’s brilliance to be the background for the finale. It’s a stunning performance, and drives all her fellow cast members to the stage, as well as other fellow performers in the audience, to perform on stage aside the beautiful Sora, with no competition in their hearts…a stage without competition. Layla, also in the audience, understanding the concept finally, praises Sora for accomplishing the impossible and most of all, accomplishing her dream.

-Added from this viewing-

The very end, is definitely my favorite part on this DVD, if not my favorite part in the entire series.
When Sora asks if she can continue to think of herself as Layla’s dream, and Layla says "No, Sora. I’m afraid you cannot be my dream anymore. Live your own dream, you’ve become my pride and joy."
To me, that just holds so much power in it.

-end add-

The Fool, bowing for the last time to Layla before disappearing, we find that the torch has been passed down, and Rosetta is the new chosen rising star. This is proven in the Extra Stage, when Rosetta is given the chance to be a lead role aside Sora in the new production, The Princess and the Fool, a story idea Mia got from a mistakenly shipped painting for Sarah. The painting depicts a princess sitting in a chair, who looks remarkably like Rosetta, and in the background, only partially visible, a jester, who looks remarkably like Fool. This episode focuses on Rosetta, and getting her smile back again.[/details]

Even after several viewings, this really is an awesome journey, and something everyone should watch, at least once in their life…if not several times.

KS Season 2 DVD 6 Finale

That was awesome! Once again, the ending impacts me to greater effect than the first or second time I saw this. No anime, or anime ending has the power to hit me in all the emotional right notes as this one. So many moments in the final 2 episodes just choked me up.

Once again, by light years this still remains my favorite ending in an anime. Vandread perhaps would be second. Which we happen to have coming up in 2 days. :wink:

[details=spoiler]- I really enjoy the writing the series creators had… there’s almost something biblical about it, in some of their phrasings. The scene where The fool goes to Layla and talks about her brilliance becoming fierce. I loved that line. :slight_smile:

• The scene where Layla and Sora compete against each other was just amazing. I adore the soliloquy where each one of them brings the entire series and their own struggles into full circle. They were going head to head, but Sora’s ability to turn Layla into an audience member vs competitor was the stronger force.

• Absolutely adored the finale sequence with the angel’s maneuver with the use of the sunrise as the backdrop. The creativity of the production people in this series just continues from the minute details to all the concepts to the stunningly ornate costumes.

• As Sora becomes a true star, everyone’s storylines climaxed.

• I too felt that final, final scene of the last episode was incredible. As Sora was asking if she could continue to be her dream and Layla teller her, You’ve become my pride and joy… it’s like I was hit with an emotional truck but then within seconds those emotions blossomed into joy.

• One of the other things I continued to find enjoyable was Leon’s character. His stoic and harsh personality transforming and evolving into a likable character is some of the best character development I’ve seen.

Especially during these last episodes Cynthia Martinez as Sora displays a range of emotions that just impresses me each time, particularly in those soliloquy moments.

Truly a happy ending done perfectly.[/details]

I feel empty now, now that I don’t have another Kaleido Star episode to look forward to tomorrow. :frowning: Rhetorically, the only question remaining is, when’s our next KS viewing? :wink: