Kurau: Phantom Memory

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
I’m a bit behind, so I’m trying to get caught up tonight. I actually just finished up episode 12.[/quote]

I am coming to the realization this will be over tomorrow and im sad…Why dosent Kurau have 52 EPS???

That would be a bit of a stretch. Now, if they made more background, more characters, I could see 52, but there is not enough depth for that now. Just be glad it was not 12-13 episodes!

Episodes 17-20

[details=spoiler]Yvon did survive the blast and Kurau was there for him. She takes him into hiding with her and Christmas. Ayaka is finally getting angry that she isn’t being told everything. Yvon is really suffering over losing Jessica. It must be awful to lose your pair like that. Yvon runs away. Ayaka looked really shocked to see that Kurau was still alive. At least Kurau can tell Ayaka some of what she knows. I wonder if Ayaka will eventually change sides. But she reports to Wong that Kurau is alive. Yvon looks like he’s dying and when the GPO comes, he takes out his anger on them. Kurau wants to help him, but Yvon disintegrates before she can get to him. Surprisingly, Christmas takes his death badly and releases energy, but Kurau saves her and then takes the energy into herself, saving Ayaka as well. Perhaps she has given Ayaka something more to think about.

On the moon, Kurau’s father has found the equipment used to create the Ryna sapiens and confronts Ichise. At least Ayaka is starting to think for herself now. Kurau and Christmas are captured again, but Wong finally spills the beans that the GPO is creating a Ryna sapien army. This was obvious, but nice to get confirmation. Wong releases the girls and also tells Ayaka that Saito had her family killed, but won’t let her get involved. Wong disappears and his people are told that he transferred, but I think he was killed and I think Ayaka knows it too. At least he sent Ayaka the file on the Ryna sapiens and Ichise. I’m glad she breaks from the GPO and glad also that she goes to Kurau and tells her everything. But now Ayaka needs Kurau’s help to find a pair of Rynax twins.

I think this is the first time that Ayaka has shared a family dinner in a long time and it was nice to see. It looks as if she feels some remorse over her job and years of hunting Ryna sapiens. And it is almost like Kurau can see into her soul. Ayaka gives Kurau her family photo – I can’t believe that Ayaka saved it all this time, but I’m glad that Kurau got it back. Ayaka and Kurau are not only allies now, but friends as well. What a complete turnaround! I was very happy that Kurau finally got in touch with Doug too. These twins seem very dangerous. I liked when Ayaka confronted Saito about the creation of the Ryna sapiens, but I wish she had shot him, especially since he practically admitted to having her father killed. And it turns out that the twins were sent to get Kurau.

Ayaka tries to warn Kurau about the twins, but is too late. The twins say something odd - that Kurau’s voice called them to Earth. I wonder if Ichise somehow used Kurau’s voice from the old experiments when she was younger when he creates the Ryna sapiens. These twins seem to be a different kind of Rynax. Kurau says their touch was cold and the twins say that Kurau’s touch was like fire. I don’t think they are quite developed yet either. I agree with Kurau that they seem very young and child like. I am so happy that Doug has reunited with the girls too! It was nice to see that Christmas finds out what her name means. But it was horrible to see what the twins did to the crowd – they really have no regard for human life. I wonder what the outcome will be with the twins and Kurau. I’m sad too that there are only four episodes left.[/details]

Well? what did you all think of the ending? (I wished it was a bit longer)

LOL, 52 eps would be pushing it, ok I admit it. :laugh:

Episodes 21 - 24

[details=spoiler]I thought the ending was foreseeable, but still nice. I always like when things come full circle.

As for the length, I agree that it didn’t have enough depth for 52 episodes. Of course, that doesn’t mean anything. I’m sure we can all think of a few other series with much less plot and character development that went over 26 episodes. I would rather keep things short and sweet, than see it dragged out to the point where you lose interest.

Overall, I found this to be an enjoyable watch, but the predictable plot kept it from being great. I still loved the music even though it was somewhat repetitive.[/details]

Thanks dragonrider_cody for throwing this viewing party! :slight_smile:

[quote=shadycat]

Episodes 21 - 24

[details=spoiler]I thought the ending was foreseeable, but still nice. I always like when things come full circle.

As for the length, I agree that it didn’t have enough depth for 52 episodes. Of course, that doesn’t mean anything. I’m sure we can all think of a few other series with much less plot and character development that went over 26 episodes. I would rather keep things short and sweet, than see it dragged out to the point where you lose interest.

Overall, I found this to be an enjoyable watch, but the predictable plot kept it from being great. I still loved the music even though it was somewhat repetitive.[/details]

Thanks dragonrider_cody for throwing this viewing party! :)[/quote]

[details=spoiler]I thought it was refreshing, they could have ended things 1 way (making couples of the main characters)but didnt

And Kurau being returned to her father as promised… Way to go! but her Rynax looking like she died than coming back 10 years later as a little girl (10 years younger than Christmas) was cool

And Wong showing up again and as the boss no less…

I would have liked 2 more eps to clean up a bit but I am really happy with what I saw.[/details]

And dragonrider_cody, Kudos, this was a blast.

[quote=MKmods]

[quote=shadycat]

Episodes 21 - 24

Thanks dragonrider_cody for throwing this viewing party! :)[/quote]

[details=spoiler]I thought it was refreshing, they could have ended things 1 way (making couples of the main characters)but didnt

And Kurau being returned to her father as promised… Way to go! but her Rynax looking like she died than coming back 10 years later as a little girl (10 years younger than Christmas) was cool

And Wong showing up again and as the boss no less…

I would have liked 2 more eps to clean up a bit but I am really happy with what I saw.[/details]

And dragonrider_cody, Kudos, this was a blast.[/quote]

I admit, it had a nicer ending than expected. It was a refreshing ending. Good choice Cody.

Episodes 21-24

[details=spoiler]Once Christmas shares her memories with Regel, he begins to remember his human life and changes. Christmas has to heal Kurau again after her fight with Windt. I wonder how long she can keep doing this. The GPO shows up but they are different this time and seem to be standing in pairs. Are they Ryna sapiens?

They are! It looks like Ichise and Saito succeeded in creating their army. At least Ayaka was able to attack with the ARS gun, so they could get away. But they are chased and Kurau still has to fight them. Regel understands now and is able to help Kurau. He feels warm now too. But the twins are captured and Regel saves his brother from getting shot with the ARS. However, the Rynax flows out of him and he disintegrates. Windt finally finds his human memories as well. He goes after Saito, but loses power and Saito gets away. Poor Windt realizes what he and his brother did. It was a very touching scene with the townspeople mourning the ones that were killed. And it sounds like Kurau won’t be hiding anymore either. Windt is on his way back to the moon to go after Saito. And Wong is alive!

Kurau’s father feels bad for continuing his research because it only ended up benefiting Ichise and his experiments. Doug comes to get him to take him to Kurau. I’m so happy that I was wrong and that Wong is alive after all. I was so sure that Saito had him killed, but I’m glad he’s back and taking Saito into custody to answer to Internal Affairs. Windt takes over a freighter and attacks GPO headquarters. He finds out where Saito is being held. Ayaka runs to help and she really had to struggle between her feelings, questioning why she should protect Saito, and her duty. But Windt gets to Saito anyway. Saito calls him a monster and I liked Windt’s response – “not as much as you are.” Windt disintegrates Saito and I thought it was a fitting end for him. Windt tries to escape, but the GPO shoots him and Kurau gets shot as well, trying to get to him. The Rynax comes out of him and Kurau goes after them. Kurau’s father is watching all of this and blames himself for everything. Christmas is able to save Windt, but is she too late to save Kurau?

Christmas is on a plane and remembers that last time, even crying in her sleep. Ayaka returns her to her aunt and uncle. Windt is human again – his Rynax is gone. Doug looks really lost and sad. Kurau’s father sits with her and it looks like she’s in a coma, but she wakes up. He finally gets to take his daughter home and Ella was so happy to see her. Kurau is human now too. It seems her Rynax went home through Christmas as well. But she needs to see Christmas and visits her. I see now why Kurau named her pair Christmas. It was probably the last happy memory she had of her mother and Christmas remembers her mother too. The visit did them both a world of good. Christmas realizes that her Kurau is always with her and gains back a little happiness, even taking a job as a waitress again.

Ten years later and Wong is now the Chief Commissioner and it looks like he’s married Wajima. Ayaka tells him that Christmas now runs the restaurant and is also the chef. She’s told that Rynax energy will no longer be used. Perhaps it’s no good anymore because it can’t hear Kurau’s voice. I’m glad that Ayaka was able to heal after the death of Saito and it’s nice to see that she’s married now with a family of her own. I had hoped that Christmas might end up with Ted and it was nice to see them together. Doug looks better too. But they know that Christmas is lonely and really misses her Kurau. One night Christmas finds out that the Rynax have found a new home and she gets her Kurau back in a younger form. I notice that she had to wait ten years, just as Kurau had to wait ten years for her! And the human Kurau can feel that they’ve been reunited. She thinks perhaps she called the Rynax to her after her mother’s death left her feeling lonely. She thinks she may have been seeking them. Kurau has a son too! He looks just like her, but I wonder who she ended up with.

This was a really wonderful story and had happy endings all around. It was very emotional at times and I did a lot of crying with this one, but I think this is what made it so good. I enjoy a story that can reach out to me on an emotional level. I really connected to the characters and was drawn into their stories. This show also had a very satisfying ending that tied up loose ends. Very enjoyable!!![/details]

Thanks for doing this Cody! And thanks too to everyone that shared! I enjoyed reading your comments very much. Can’t wait for next month’s viewing! :slight_smile:

That was fun guys. I uh, got behind a bit and really didn’t have anything to add, but it was fun reading comments :slight_smile:

I think I’m still traumatized from the ending of Utena. LoL!

I’ll be adding this to my collection soon. The Kurau Phantom DVD Savings Bundle (Hyb) is still in the weekly specials at RSI. ($24.99 or $22.49 for G.A. Members)

It was a great pick and I’m really looking forward to the next viewing party.

I got behind on this as well. I’ll finish it up sometime today or tomorrow. I still have 6 episodes to watch, so I’m way behind.
Slick

Don’t feel bad, I’m just finishing up. I still have an episode or two to go. I’ve had a rough week…lol

Anyway, for those who have the ADV singles of Kurau, does anyone know who whispers “Kurau” at the end of the next disc previews? It’s driving me nuts! I think it might be Tiffany Grant, but I’m not sure.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Anyway, for those who have the ADV singles of Kurau, does anyone know who whispers “Kurau” at the end of the next disc previews? It’s driving me nuts! I think it might be Tiffany Grant, but I’m not sure.[/quote]

If you’re talking about the preview for disc 6 on disc 5, then yes, it’s Tiffany Grant.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Anyway, for those who have the ADV singles of Kurau, does anyone know who whispers “Kurau” at the end of the next disc previews? It’s driving me nuts! I think it might be Tiffany Grant, but I’m not sure.[/quote]

If you’re talking about the preview for disc 6 on disc 5, then yes, it’s Tiffany Grant.[/quote]

Well, actually they have the previews on every disc and it seems to be the same VA each time.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

I know, but I haven’t really been paying much attention.
However, if they’re all the same VA, then they’re all Tiffany Grant, since preview for disc 6 on disc 5 is most definitely Tiffany Grant.

Crunchyroll Adds “Kurau Phantom Memory” to Anime Catalog

September 14, 2017 6:30pm CDT
More Funimation titles go live on Crunchyroll