NIS America/NISA News

Multiple threads have been merged to create this thread

This is the NIS America/NISA News thread.

Effective April 2, 2015

Only post article/news/notes about the NIS America/NISA industry OR about anime that doesn’t already have an existing thread.

Anything posted here that already has an existing thread will either be moved to that thread or deleted. NO EXCEPTIONS.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

NIS America Licenses Toradora! as Its First Anime

posted on 2010-02-11 22:38 EST
Pandora Hearts, Persona -trinity soul-, Wagaya no Oinari-sama anime to follow

A very interesting and unexpected development. Toradora is an excellent first pick up for them, and it’s one fans have been clamoring for.

Anyway, Anime Network you should get a TV deal worked out with them STAT! :slight_smile:

Definitely a very interesting surprise in the market with another niche player.

Wha----------------

Someone licensed Wagaya, finally.

On the one hand, I have to say, "Yayyyyy! Finally, Toradora! and Persona."
But on the other hand, their parent comapany posting a 95% profit loss, stock falling 19.34% in a day, and only barely making profit does not bold well for the newbie R1 anime company.

Hey, as long as they release T and P before they go under, I’m good.

Nice to see Toradora! licensed. :slight_smile:

NIS America even the games they release are niche ,but they do put on a good show. Hopefully they don’t fall into the Bandai Visual style over priced release or anything. Kind of wondering if they are going to do singles or box sets? Also will they be dubbing?

My first response was " Wait… What? ". Thought Cody was playing a early April fools joke to I checked the link.lol

Since Toradora is niche, would NIS follow Sentai Filmworks/Section23 or Funimation and make bad decisions and dub it?

Who knows at this point, we’ll have to wait for more info… the press release was really vague. My guess is they’ll dub it though, since they do dub their games. Probably a low production Los Angeles dub. They normally work with PCB… but who knows at this point.

NIS is in a weak financial standing though, as Tonka mentioned previously… which makes this re-entering (they released Disgaea before) into a gloomy and niche anime industry all the more surprising.

More recent info on NIS Via Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5466549/nippon-ichi-software-this-cant-be-good-part-ii

[quote]As Kotaku previously reported, the operating profit for the Gifu Prefecture-based company is down 97.5 percent during the first nine months of this financial year.

The company’s closing price on the JASDAQ (Japanese NASDAQ) was ¥36,200 on Friday. When the market opened this morning, and investors began reacting to Nippon Ichi’s financial statement, the stock price ultimately dropped ¥7,000 (US$78) as the stock was unloaded. With the stock’s value dropping almost 20 percent, the JASDAQ put a freeze on the price so it could not slide any further south.[/quote]

Hmm, interesting indeed.
Nice to see that some companies haven’t completely given up on the R1 market as it is now.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
Hmm, interesting indeed.
Nice to see that some companies haven’t completely given up on the R1 market as it is now.[/quote]

That’s cause they don’t know the anime FANS yet… give them time. :wink:

The fans that watched Toradora illegally saying it’s good then suddenly say sub-only is crap (demanding a dub release or there will be threats). Stuff is only good when it’s free, and illegal to these leeches and brats ruining our hobby. Damn the internet for making anime accessible to them. :wink: (Slight sarcasm).

[quote=dragoon]
Stuff is only good when it’s free, and illegal to these leeches and brats ruining our hobby. Damn the internet for making anime accessible to them. :wink: (Slight sarcasm).[/quote]

Would it sell better if nobody saw the anime before they bought it?

If Toradora goes sub-only I am going to wait till animes get licensed by dubbing companies before I see what it is about.

Toradora doesn’t sound like my kind of anime, but here’s to hoping it spurs some more cash flowing into the R1 market.

I smell mooch in the air.

Well, it’s a double edged sword. It does help as TV does in spreading the word and giving the market access to a new show… the internet is the new “TV” medium that companies hoped for. The problem is, while it helps gets titles out and noticed, and yes, bought by the small otaku % that actually buys… it also creates a significant portion of anime fans who refuse to buy anything at all, or the mentality “I watched it illegally and I won’t buy it unless you dub it, make fancy packaging or release it the way I want to because I can already watch it free” - why should they buy? It’s free on the internet forever. Unlike TV though, the companies are not getting a financial share in any of the illegal activities going on. When tens of thousands watch XYZ anime for free, the companies do not get any ad revenue or TV broadcast fees from it.

That’s why companies are now offering legal streaming options. The problem is, no one’s figured a way how to make money from it yet. Streaming at this rate is slowly going to kill the DVD market.

It’s a very challenging set of hurdles for the companies. Anime fans need to change their mentality to support legal, only then can we see the market get healthy again and dubs become more frequent. If things continue as they are, it’ll drive niche shows more into sub-only or no DVD licenses at all. I’m personally not optimistic. Pandora’s box is open and now we have to live with it. Only a new paradigm shift can save the industry - what that is? Who knows.

[quote=dragoon]
Who knows at this point, we’ll have to wait for more info… the press release was really vague. My guess is they’ll dub it though, since they do dub their games. Probably a low production Los Angeles dub. They normally work with PCB… but who knows at this point.

NIS is in a weak financial standing though, as Tonka mentioned previously… which makes this re-entering (they released Disgaea before) into a gloomy and niche anime industry all the more surprising.

More recent info on NIS Via Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5466549/nippon-ichi-software-this-cant-be-good-part-ii

"As Kotaku previously reported, the operating profit for the Gifu Prefecture-based company is down 97.5 percent during the first nine months of this financial year.

The company’s closing price on the JASDAQ (Japanese NASDAQ) was ¥36,200 on Friday. When the market opened this morning, and investors began reacting to Nippon Ichi’s financial statement, the stock price ultimately dropped ¥7,000 (US$78) as the stock was unloaded. With the stock’s value dropping almost 20 percent, the JASDAQ put a freeze on the price so it could not slide any further south."[/quote]

I must say, I find a suprise that the makers of the 1998 hit game “Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure” has decided to enter the R1 market. Needless to say this is good thing and I’ll be praying that NIS America makes wise investments and doesn’t go the way of Pioneer/Geneon USA since it’s nice to see another SoCal label fill that empty void left by Geneon.

Dragoon: NIS never dealt with anime before, only video games. It was Geneon who released Disgaea. Perhaps with their involvement…but still.

Anyway this was quite a surprise! I am a little worried about their financial situation, as others have said. If they think they’re ganna move into anime and rake in the Gold or strike oil and make it rich, they got another thing comming. But if they play it niche and know what their doing, perhaps this will work out for them well. Zac seems to think they know what their doing…

Anyway if they dub their stuff I’ll consider buying them. I really don’t know much about any of these shows, and I wasn’t really interested in Toradora, but dubs can make me interested real fast. If they release them sub-only I’d have to think really hard about if I want to buy any of them or not. It would really depend. And I’d have other stuff to worry about beforehand.

Still I LOVE the idea of another company being out there releaseing anime. We need some more R1 companies! We need someone to fill Geneon and CPM’s shoes. And those are damn big shoes to fill too.

NIS America’s game dubs are a very mixed bag some are good while others are so bad they are great in a way they are so horrible they are funny.

From the press releases it sounds like they are going to do things like their games and release them with collectible items.

@ Dragoon

If you can’t tell I hate subs. I do watch some subs mostly on Crunchyroll but even my most favorite anime on there I really don’t want to watch again with subs.

I just wanted to point out I did not watch Clannad fansubs. I did watch Kanon before I bought it but I felt the anime was ruined since I knew the ending, kyoto animation I think is the best and I thought I would wait till it was licensed and dubbed.
I don’t really watch fan-subs anymore and nothing on Crunchyroll this season intrests me. The only animes I would be happy with dubbed or not is To Love Ru, Rosario + Vampire, Koihime†Mus?, Kanon 2002. I would pass on most others. I did buy Clannad but I wanted it dubbed.

I do understand where you’re coming from, and certainly it’s a good thing that at least you support legal.

Mostly my problems are with those who don’t and those who watch illegal then make demands. If they liked it enough in illegal to spend tons of hours illegally downloading, watching and claiming they love it - I think those fans need to support the show, otherwise I think they’re just leeches.

ADV found out first hand about the false market. Lots of fans kept demanding license this, license that and dub it… then they didn’t even buy when it came out.

From what I am overhearing/reading it sounds like they are going for the same crowd that Nozomi does collector’s that like the niche. So while I’d not rule a dub out yet I’d not count on it. Course same thing makes it sound like they only have half of a clue about what is going on now.

Reading some comments on Funi’s blog there is some idiots there that make it sound like sub only is like someone shooting their dog.