Question for anime buyers

And in his position, I would have gotten it a long time ago to write it off the list.
There again though, that’s just me, I don’t dwell on stuff for too long, especially not a couple years.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=slickwolfie]
So what if you want 10 things, but can only get one of them?
Slick[/quote]

Obviously I’d get one of them, now wouldn’t I?[/quote]

Perhaps that is why PP has been contemplating so long. He may want it bad, but wants other anime just the same. There has to be some middle ground.
Slick

I understand that completely. I’ve wanted to buy Petite Princess Yucie since I first saw it on TAN, many years ago. But I only recently got it (few months ago?). Everytime I got money, I speant it on other stuff, mostly new releases or OOP things. These things take time…lol. There’s so many things I contemplate buying, but I don’t have unlimited funds (although hopefully I will in the future lol! One can always hope to win the lottery lol!). The logner stuff I especially don’t buy right away. Took until a few weeks ago to buy all of Utena, despite getting the first 2 volumes a long time ago. I just couldn’t take the dive and throw out all that money for such a long and expensive show. There have been countless stuff like Narue and Gunslinger Girl that took me YEARS to buy. Like I wanted to buy them, but didn’t get around to it for 4 years or something crazy like that! I wish I could afford to just run out and buy everything I really wanted. It’s impossible to keep up with all the OOP things I want, older stuff that’s going OOP, older stuff that’s just 'there" in the ether somewhere, and new releases. I like so much…and I have so little money lol!

If I got it a long time ago I’d spend over a grand on it plus missed out on Cardcaptor Sakura , Maison Ikkoku to name a couple. I’m waiting for the moment I decide which will probably be the time I hear “Oh its going out of print from the license expiring”. Right now there is not much motivation other then I need to complete the series which in my mind and in common sense is not a good reason. I had planned at one time to get it 10 volumes a month then Geneon went under and I had to get the series I wanted from them , then ADV hit a bunch of crap in the harbor and I had to get what I wanted from them , by that time I had other crap come up and had to pass. Right now I am using my common sense and waiting to my mind is 100% on what I want to do . Saying screw you to the collector and OCD personality that lies just beneath the surface all with the raging beast I can not control hoping each leap will be my leap home.

I still don’t see the issue.

It’s rather simple actually.

Dilemma

Q: Can I get it?
A: Yes
Result: I get it.

A: No
Result: I don’t get it.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

Dilemma

Result: I don’t get it.[/quote]

Hear, hear!!!
I fully agree with you.

It’s like the classic dilemma:
Cake or Steak?
I say - “Why not both?”

did you say cake… ahhh… you got me all excited…

yoka

It comes down to everyone has budget, which is something I have posted before.

I can put a price point on my Anime buying for 26 episodes is $35.00 definite buy.
Anything over $40.00, really have to think about. I passed on Shadow Skill at $40.00.

Soul Eater is an exception some Animes are. I am aware of the voice acting issue I am aware that most people do no share my view on this Anime.

I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs. Even with today’s economy, I would say that $35.00 would be my spending money for the week. I may spend that money on things other than Anime. 40 weeks out of 52, I might not spend that money, if happen to log on to right stuff and see a anime that looks interesting for $35.00, I would buy it. This would over $1,000 per year. Most likel not notice and be happy about what I purchased.

At $90, which is about 3 week worth of spending moeny, the choices become harder, when I had to spend that much at most I would get 5 animes a year. A number of time I was unhappy I did get Animes that were not so great and missed out a few good ones.

To answer the original post, never. I’ve bought new stuff but I wait for a sale usually. If I buy series singles I usually wait for them to be on clearance cheap somewhere.

[quote=Longtime]
I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs.[/quote]

I would imagine not many drug addicts are hardcore anime DVD collectors. Their drug habits would come first lol. However I’d bet that a few drug dealers have the cash and go out buying anime…and some might…somewhere?

I’ve never spent that much to buy a series, but then again, I’ve just started to seriously buy anime in the last 6 to 8 months. I am a bargain hunter at heart, so I tend to wait until I can catch a really good sale or something before I make the bulk of my purchases.

I can not remember how much I paid completely for Gunbuster2. it was 3 DVD’s and then i was suckered into buying the Gunbuster vs Diebuster Blu Ray combo.
So I am thinking the 3 dvd’s cost Bandai prices and were at least 30$ even on sale. Add to that the 70$ Box deely from that blu ray Honemaese movie set, I probably blew 140ish.

I am trying to think how much Gundam 00 has been just for season 1, it was all split up into 3rds too. I bet it was at or over 90$

(which reminds me, Unicorn is going to zap me next.)

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

Dilemma

Result: I don’t get it.[/quote]

I think you missed the point. Yes, he can afford it. But does he want it enough to hold off on getting other things he wants. $300 can buy a lot of releases today, as opposed to just one.

I’m in the same situation with You’re Under Arrest. Do I want it? Yes. Can I afford it? Yes, but only at the expense of several newer releases I would rather have, and be much more likely to watch.

No, I think you missed the point.
I was talking about my decision making process and what I would do if I were him.
Hence why I said this:

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
And in his position, I would have gotten it a long time ago to write it off the list.
There again though, that’s just me, I don’t dwell on stuff for too long, especially not a couple years.[/quote]

The way I look at it, and always have is, if I can get, I will.
Anything beyond that is trying to make a justification why not to get it.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
No, I think you missed the point.
I was talking about my decision making process and what I would do if I were him.

Hence why I said this:
“And in his position, I would have gotten it a long time ago to write it off the list.
There again though, that’s just me, I don’t dwell on stuff for too long, especially not a couple years.”

The way I look at it, and always have is, if I can get, I will.
Anything beyond that is trying to make a justification why not to get it.[/quote]

Yes, but not everyone thinks like that. We don’t have limitless resources with which to expand our DVD collections. If he buys Urusei, he will likely have to give up another show that he will probably be more likely to watch.

I don’t think I have paid $90+ for a new series, but that doesn’t mean I would be opposed to it. I could afford it. However, that being said, my frugal Scottish heritage would insist that I be getting my moneys worth. I would want good packaging, probably both dub and sub, and good audio (5.1). That being said, if it was something I really wanted, all those conditions could go right out the window. :lol:

Remember it is an Anime that is only 26 episodes.

There are alot of 13 episodes box sets priced at $60; Buy 2, that’s $120.

I don’t sell drugs either and I also don’t have children.
I do have a wife, which can get pricey. She no longer hits me.

Well, I guess my answer for the initial question has changed, since I just got Moribito set.

So the last series I payed $90+ for is Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.