Red Garden

I wouldn’t say that they “shafted you”.
FUNi put out the Vol. 06 DVD in very limited quantities because we as fans, bitched, pissed moaned and complained that we were stuck with 5 DVDs and they expected us to by the full series just to get the last few episodes.

FUNi also did that with a few other ADV Sojitz titles that went unfinished.

Pumpkin Scissors
Welcome to the NHK
Kanon

1 Like

I mention that they shafted me as they had billed the collection that I bought as being “complete”, but when I opened the box I saw that I only had 5 DVDs, and a decent artbox. I was also shocked to see ADV dvds from that era without extras. It’s one of the few times that RightStuf has actually let me down. Now I have an artbox that will probably never get filled, which doesn’t work well with my collectors’ OCD :wink:

Maybe I could buy the SAVE edition, if it is one of those where it is the same size as a normal DVD case, and fit it in the box, but TBH I don’t feel like it.

I didn’t know that about Pumpkin Scissors; I saw the series in Japanese as it aired and I wish that I hadn’t.

I should probably pick up Gantz one of these days as, thanks to Chris Ayres being a perennial guest at a local con, I’ve gotten practically everything I own signed by the man. It’s also something else that I can try and get Matt Greenfield to sign off on, assuming I ever find him again. Supposedly he’s at each Otakon, but I’m convinced that I’ve never seen him there in recent years.

Technically, there was never a 6th volume released at all. ADV was having money trouble and had to reorganize the company and cancel releases of their current titles. When they struck a deal with Funimation they for some reason decided to put out two half sets as means of releasing the full series instead, screwing a lot of people over. Same thing happened with Welcome to the NHK.

Apparently, you didn’t read my post.
FUNi released the Vol. 06 for the series I listed.

Sounds like a reason to keep on keeping on with my current plan of simply streaming it, as buying it isn’t convenient for me. At least what I got from rightstuf was cheap.

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]

FUNi released the Vol. 06 for the series I listed.[/quote]

I’ve never seen this mythical 6th volume, nor did I ever hear of anyone who has it or had the empty space in their box filled, so I naturally doubt it’s existence, and just assume you jest good sir. :side:

[quote=“Kruszer”]

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]

FUNi released the Vol. 06 for the series I listed.[/quote]

I’ve never seen this mythical 6th volume, nor did I ever hear of anyone who has it or had the empty space in their box filled, so I naturally doubt it’s existence, and just assume you jest good sir. :side:[/quote]

Seems you did not look very hard.

The cover has the Funimation logo on it. I own a copy of Kanon volume 6 also with the Funimation logo on it.

[quote=“Kruszer”]
I’ve never seen this mythical 6th volume, nor did I ever hear of anyone who has it or had the empty space in their box filled, so I naturally doubt it’s existence, and just assume you jest good sir. :side:[/quote]

Proof you say?

I don’t have Kanon, but here’s the others I listed.
Now you can “officially” say you’ve seen them.

1 Like

Wow. Looks like “pix or it didn’t happen” is still in style lol.

What isn’t in style is the layout of those Funimation DVDs compared to their Adv kin. The different sizing and placement of the graphics in your collection is making me twitch. :wink:

Somehow I find it odd that their DVD covers for Pumpkin Scissors sexualize the nutjob main female char. I suppose it makes sense, but I didn’t see that char as anything but a basket case. I admit that it looks far better than what it could have, like the nurse who spends the series trying to collect a “sample” from the main moronic. male character via a series of ever-larger glass tubes…

Never personally had any need to look for it since I bought the half sets when they first came out, because there were no plans to release one at the time and I didn’t own the other singles. However, I do follow anime news, particularly that story since I had stock in it and I frequent many forums so I’d be surprised that I didn’t hear about it.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]I don’t have Kanon, but here’s the others I listed.
Now you can “officially” say you’ve seen them.[/quote]

Well I can do that much since I completed Kanon on DVD, and Devil May Cry vol 3 as well. It was just Red Garden, and NHK that I thought were dropped in singles. Interesting that it does indeed exist though and isn’t vaporware.

I also have the “mythical” volume 6 of Red Garden, as well as the 6th Kanon single.

I believe other than Kanon, the other limited volume 6’s had only a print run of about 500. So it’s understandable that you wouldn’t know anybody that has them.

At least these buyers didn’t get screwed over by Funimation like we who bought Tokyo Majin. We had to rebuy the entire series just to get one missing episode. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

[quote=“Kruszer”]
Well I can do that much since I completed Kanon on DVD, and Devil May Cry vol 3 as well. It was just Red Garden, and NHK that I thought were dropped in singles. Interesting that it does indeed exist though and isn’t vaporware.[/quote]

NHK , Pumpkin Scissors , and Red Garden vol.6 were limited online exclusives to I believe Rightstuf , Anime Corner Store , and Amazon?. Though this was back in 2008 so my memory is a little fuzzy. I do however remember while Kanon Vol.6 was a certain NHK , PS , RG vol.6 were not. Funimation original said it was not going to happen after they said they would then the email and Convention anger convinced them otherwise. One conspiracy theory were they did it to distract from the dirty deal of how they got the series in the first place. They also had said Kanon vol.5 would get a print run from them ,but that one never happened as far as I know. Luckily most of us found a way to get the ADV release as it only got one run because of it getting released right smack in the middle of the Sojitz business. So yes Vol.5 is actually rarer then Vol.6. Heck for a while most of the sets on eBay were missing vol.5. I also just remembered PS and RG Vol.6 took over a year to clear out fully from Rightstuf. Shows how bad the sales for those series were I guess. Course we already knew RG was one of the worse selling shows in ADV history. Heck maybe US Anime History. Though really the numbers for a good chunk of those shows from Sojitz era were not good.

Second time I had to type this frakking time out!

Anyway back to Gantz. If nothing else mention something about Gantz and I’ll allow some topic offtopicness. Can’t speak for the Slowhand though.

1 Like

The limited edition volume sixes were exclusively through Right Stuf and Anime Corner. I think both of them may have placed them on their Amazon Market Place accounts. I believe Anime Nation may have had them as well.

As for Gantz, I picked up the ADV set in the sphere. I was even lucky enough to get one that wasn’t scratched. However, it’s been lodged in my backlog for a while. I did rent the first disc quite a while back before buying it, but I don’t remember a whole lot about it.

1 Like

Crunchyroll Adds “Red Garden” and More to Anime Catalog

January 24, 2018 10:30pm CST
Now available to stream!

Re-watching this one for Halloween. It has always been a favorite.

2 Likes

Just started the subbed version of this one, and I was shocked. Yami’s in it!!!

I had watched this a fair time ago, about 2014-2015, on the Funimation channel on Comcast ANOD, however, it was the dubbed version.

A little funnily, Yami is in the Sub, as Lise (Misato Fukuen), and Mikan is in the dub, as Rose (Brittney Karbowski)!

I seem to be enjoying it as well, as I watched 11 episodes of it in one night! Lol.

1 Like

This is still a good anime for a Halloween watch!

1 Like

It was a very good series, but so many questions were left unanswered, even with the ova, which raised even more questions…

Also…

SPOILER!!!

Yami’s VA is in it, and she dies not once, not twice, but three times during the course of the series…

:sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Really???

2 Likes

Yes it was mentioned during a interview or article someplace .
To be fair though none of those titles from that deal really sold well ,but for some reason I remember Red Garden being mentioned specifically as one of the worse selling . It’s strange though there was enough fan anger it with the others got the 6th volume made for the singles when Funimation originally said two box sets . Though around that time there was a push to the cheaper box set format by “fans” (spits) and Best Buy . Yes Best Buy played a big part in the push to stuff taking up less space . Then said :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: your couch and slimmed down the media section not long after . Also because of their financial status Funimation could do box sets easier unlike others at the time .

2 Likes