Sword Art Online / Sword Art Online II / Alicization / Progressive

They’ve announced a price for the dubbed release of Fate/Zero? I’m not sure I’d call the price that the F/Z sub-only release commanded to be mind crushingly expensive because then I don’t know what I’d call the much more expensive Kara no Kyoukai release that preceded it. Speaking of, why hasn’t that gotten a dub yet? C’mon Aniplex.

I’m hoping that the show will go to physical release ASAP. I hope that it won’t be sucked into the void that is Neon Alley, from where it has a slight chance of emerging on physical media when Viz decides that it has “served its time”. Slightly less brutal would be Aniplex getting it on “Toonami” and making us wait an eternity for the physical release, like Funimation did. At least then I could watch it more easily.

They need to get** Fate/Zero **out on physical release ASAP as rare, valuable autograph opportunities are slipping away. Crispin Freeman is hitting the autograph circuit much harder than usual thanks to Funi & Hellsing Ultimate. Once that promotional tour ends, will it come again? Will Aniplex trot him out to the cons for Fate/Zero whenever it should finally come out? I have doubts; the bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, so the old saying goes.

As to be expected…
Looks like the SAO dub will be from Bang Zoom! (like pretty much everything AoA has ever dubbed).

http://www.facebook.com/BangZoom/posts/296286953832847

Bang Zoom! Entertainment

On Friday, Aniplex confirmed an English dub for Sword Art Online… any ideas which studio might be dubbing it? :wink:

Bryce Papenbrook, Cherami Leigh Lead Sword Art Online Dub Cast

posted on 2013-03-30 19:26 EDT
Aniplex US to release anime based on Reki Kawahara’s light novels in N. America

Interesting. It looks as though Cherami’s move to LA might not be as brutal as I was fearing as she might not drop off the radar as have too many anime actors who’ve emigrated to LA. I wonder how the dub will fare under bang/zoom direction: since Cherami is a known, I’ll use her performance as a gauge (quasi-pun) to evaluate.

Which reminds me, while Asuna is close in some ways to the typecast that Funi seems to have Cherami in (maybe a bit older, character wise) it seems radically different in a key regard: Asuna is a, the “waifu” and Cherami’s characters often have a “backbone”.

Bryce is cool and all but he has that chipper “boy hero” voice, not a voice that says “I’m an antisocial brooding loner who is a badass in this game”. To be fair, anyone with that sort of voice would make it sound like Kirito is much older; I wasn’t sure that he was really through puberty in SAO. :wink:

I have really enjoyed this series. It has definitely become one of my favorite animes. I especially liked Asuna. She was a bad ass yet not a bad ass at the same time. I think that’s what made her so likable.

I have a question though I’m not sure if any of you will be able to answer it. Will there possibly be another season? I know in the light novels there was more to it than what has been shown but I don’t know if they were going to use it or not. The ending seemed pretty final to me but some people are still hopeful of more episodes.

That has not been announced.
It’s been selling well in Japan, but it’s ultimately up to the production committee also if there’s enough source material to make more.

Sword Art Online’s English Dub Trailer Posted

posted on 2013-04-08 18:00 EDT
Cassandra Lee, Christine Marie Cabanos, Sarah Williams, Patrick Seitz added to cast

So it looks like it’s going to be:

BD = $359.92
DVD = $159.92

Blu-ray details

Sword Art Online Blu-ray Box Set I: Aincrad Part 1 (http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/package/bluray01.html)

[QUOTE]Release Date: 08/13/13

SRP $112.98
Retail Price $89.98
Spoken Languages: Japanese & English
Aspect ratio: 16:9 widescreen
Subtitles: English and Spanish (* OP/ED themes and Bonus English subtitles only)

Episodes: Episodes 1-7
Number of Disc: 3 Discs (2 BD discs + 1 CD)
Total Run Time: approx. 175 min.
Rating: 13 UP

Bonus Content
★ Audio Commentary by Creators and Japanese Cast
★ Special Animation “Sword Art Offline” (English subtitles)
★ Original Web Previews
★ Trailer
★ 1st Season Textless Opening

Bonus Materials & Special Package
★ Original Soundtrack CD1
★ 16-page Deluxe Booklet
★ Illustration Pin-ups
★ Exclusive Collectible Card
★ Rigid Box illustrated by abec (Original Character Design)
★ Clear BD Cases with 2-sided Japanese Cover Design

*Bonus Contents & Materials Subject to Change[/QUOTE]
Sword Art Online Blu-ray Box Set II: Aincrad Part 2 (http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/package/bluray02.html)

[QUOTE]Release Date: 09/17/13

SRP $112.98
Retail Price $89.98
Subtitles: English and Spanish (* OP/ED themes and Bonus English subtitles only)

Episodes: Episodes 8-14

Bonus Content
★ Special Animation “Sword Art Offline” (English subtitled)
★ Original Web Previews
★ 1st Season Textless Ending

★ Bonus DVD: Staff Interview
★ 16-page Deluxe Booklet
★ Illustration Pin-ups

Sword Art Online Blu-ray Box III: Fairy Dance Part 1 (http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/package/bluray03.html)

[QUOTE]Release Date: 10/15/13

SRP $112.98
Retail Price $89.98

Episodes: Episodes 15-19
Total Run Time: approx. 125 min.

Bonus Content
★ Original Web Previews
★ 2nd Season Textless Opening

★ Original Soundtrack CD2
★ 16-page Deluxe Booklet
★ Illustration Pin-ups

Sword Art Online Blu-ray Set IV: Fairy Dance 2 (http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/package/bluray04.html)

[QUOTE]Release Date: 11/19/13

SRP $112.98
Retail Price $89.98

Episodes: Episodes 20-25
Total Run Time: approx. 150 min.

Bonus Content
★ Original Web Previews
★ 2nd Season Textless Ending

★ Bonus DVD: English Cast Interview
★ 16-page Deluxe Booklet
★ Illustration Pin-ups
★ Bonus Contents & Materials Subject to Change

Sword Art Online DVD Volume 1: Aincrad Part 1 (http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/package/index.html)

[QUOTE]Release Date: 08/13/13

SRP $49.98
Retail Price $39.98
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0

Episodes: Episodes 1-7
Number of Disc: 2 DVD discs

Bonus Content
★ Trailer
★ 1st Season Textless Opening

★ Mini Pin-up Poster
★ O-Sleeve
★ Clear 3-disc DVD Cases with 2-sided wrap

Sword Art Online DVD Volume 2: Aincrad Part 2 (http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/package/index02.html)

[QUOTE]Release Date: 09/17/13

SRP $49.98
Retail Price $39.98

Episodes: Episodes 8-14

Bonus Content
★ 1st Season Textless Ending

★ Mini Pin-up Poster
★ O-Sleeve

Sword Art Online DVD Volume 3: Fairy Dance Part 1 (http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/package/index03.html)

[QUOTE]Release Date: 10/15/13

SRP $49.98
Retail Price $39.98

Episodes: Episodes 15-19

Bonus Content

★ Mini Pin-up Poster
★ O-Sleeve

Sword Art Online DVD Volume 4: Fairy Dance 2 (http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/package/index04.html)

[QUOTE]Release Date: 11/19/13

SRP Retail Price Spoken Languages: Aspect ratio: Audio: Subtitles:

Episodes: Number of Disc: Total Run Time: Rating:

SRP $49.98
Retail Price $39.98

Episodes: Episodes 20-25

Bonus Content

★ Mini Pin-up Poster
★ O-Sleeve

On the plus side, it looks like one could buy just Sword Art Online, without having to pay for the sequel series that they crammed in :wink:

But it’s a thin plus side as this is still rather pricey, does not appear to have any extras involving the English dub (only rarely have I found Japanese cast extras to be worth watching) and doesn’t seem to have a really, truly great dub to begin with.

As someone who didn’t really care for the show when it streamed on Crunchy, someone who just wants to check out the dub, I feel that this is much too pricey. Cherami, Bryce (et al), I’m glad that y’all don’t get paid based on the sales of your dubbed anime as I don’t think I’ll be picking this one up. I felt the same way about Madoka Magica and I did buy that one, and in doing so I learned that the lacking on-disc extras and physical knick-knacks in the box don’t come close to justifying the price.

I understand that Aniplex wants to go for the approach of selling SAO as a “luxury” item but I expect luxury-grade product for these prices and I can’t say that I’m getting it.

Why couldn’t they have just kept on letting Funimation (and others) dub their stuff and release it here?

Least they are splitting it up over 4 months instead of all that at once. It’s easier to figure out $89.99 over those 4 months then getting hit all at once. It’s one of the reasons I could do Madoka. I may have to bite depending on how my funds look.

That an easy question to answer: Money pure and simple.

Look at it this way, By releasing it themselves and at a significantly higher price point (At least compared to the Blu-Ray Prices) They bank all the profits.

-To compare Blu-Ray releases Funimation and Sentai will sell 12-13 episode series at around $70 SRP, with Discounts that suppliers get they mark it down to about $42 which works out to about $3.50 an episode for a 12 episode series.

-Aniplex is releasing a 4 sets for the series charging $113 for 6-7 episodes, with supplier discounts it gets marked down to $90, which averages out to around $13 - $15 and episode. Now do you see why they are doing it? It’s more profit for them.

I’m still trying to decide whether the Blu-Rays are worth it. I may just get the DVD’s and save $200 bucks. I’ll let you all know when they go up for pre-order on Tuesday. Big problem is, I already have season 1 of Haganai and High School DxD on preorder for August. So it would make that month particularly Brutal…(and if my Akira Yamamoto Statue ships too, August is looking really expensive)

One thing I’ve noticed is that Aniplex is reminding me of what ADV Films was doing during their peak. (only 4-6 episodes a disk, 3-7 releases for a series etc.)

My problem is, while Madoka was more expensive on a per-episode basis, it was completely worth it to me as my 2nd favorite anime of all time.

SAO on the other hand, while both me and my roomie did enjoy the simulcast, all in all SAO really isn’t worth that price to me, regardless of what extra content I’ll probably never watch or inserts I’ll never look at that they add to crank up the price.

I’m hoping we don’t get screwed on an Oreimo 2 collection when it comes time.
I’d be perfectly happy with a DVD only LE set just like S1 was and similarly priced, just for package consistancy alone.

Unless we know that Aniplex sells more product, at their higher prices, than Funi & Sentai do, at their more civilized prices, I do not believe that we can say Aniplex makes more profit.

They are. Aniplex prices are absurd but buying an SD version of an HD show is almost as crazy. I don’t think that the show is worth either price, and I definitely don’t think that the blu-ray version should command that much of a premium over the DVD version but if you’re gonna buy it, I believe that you should buy it the “right way”. I’m somewhat shocked that Aniplex even continues to create a standalone DVD version that is cheaper than their DVD version; for the price of the Blu-ray version that release should also contain the DVDs.

I agree. I’d buy this at a Funimation price, maybe, but not at these luxury prices. If Aniplex wants to keep pricing its anime as a “luxury” then they should deliver anime that fits the bill: PMMM was not a show that I cared for in the least but it was (IMO) much more deserving of being classified as a “luxury” anime than is the pretty prosaic SAO. At least PMMM tried to “break the mold”: SAO is just one of the thousands of anime cast with it.

I just got home from Anime Boston, they had a screening of the first two episodes english dubbed.

Last Sword Art Online BD/DVD to Bundle Text Short Story

posted on 2013-05-27 21:21 EDT

And next week it begins!

Here’s the SAO promo from last night.

( YouTube video no longer available )

so this is just basically the .hack// story with new people?

To answer your question: No. To say “yes” might give you the impression that this show is better than it actually is. Maybe you’ll like it, but there’s one big difference between the 2: the .hack characters had something of a personality. Kirito is just a blank blob for the author of the tale (and the viewer) to pretend to be and it doesn’t try to hide that. .Hack also had more of a plot and went somewhere with its story, the premise for which was much more believable.

I haven’t seen the dub.

I guess I’m not the only one who swore it was him.

https://twitter.com/CrispinFreeman/status/361373545000996865

Crispin Freeman‏

Just for the record, I’m not in #SwordArtOnline. Don’t know why I’m listed as being in the cast on wikipedia.

I’m not sure how much that is worth as he wouldn’t be the first CA voice actor to be in a show but fervently deny it (cough Steve Blum cough cough hack). If it isn’t Crispin, then who is it?

I’ll have to see the dub of this sooner than I expected then, in order to “judge” for myself. IMO Crispin’s trademark overacting is instantly recognizable and inimitable.