Tears to Tiara

I had the same thoughts on all the Arthur/Roman naming and such.
wait till you get to a town called Londinuim(london :Someone had to tell me about that one.)

Episode 4 -

Spoiler

The Gaels have reached Albion safely and make their way to Avalon castle. As they walk through the woods, they find out that Arawn is the master of the castle. The castle is protected by a barrier and has a huge gate called the “Gate of Life”. Arawn tells Arthur to decide whether or not they should walk through it, because once he does, his fate will be sealed. The Empire will invade them and they will have a long battle ahead of them. Arthur says that he has no regrets and they choose to fight as warriors until they win. Arawn says it was foolish of him to ask and steps forward to magically “wake” the castle up and open the gate.
As they walk through, Arthur says he smells something and Arawn says “impossible”. Two girls are roasting apples over an open fire. The little ones sees the group approaching and tells her companion that the never used back door is open and someone is coming. The older girl, Limwris, corrects her and says it isn’t a back door; it’s the Gate of Life. Both girls recognize Ogam and realize that the other man is their Lord Arawn. The little girl, Ermin, is excited to see Lord Arawn and Limwris apologizes for not meeting him. Arawn forgives them and Ogam says that they’d all like to have roasted apples. He tells the rest of the group that the girls are housekeeping Elves and introductions are made. Riannon offers to help them with the apples. Of course Morgan is the only one that has to eat two apples at the same time! Limwris asks Ogam if Arthur is somehow connected to Lord Pwyll and Arawn says that he is a descendant and that Riannon is his sister, which is a bit too much for her to take in.
The rest of the humans come to the castle and as Limwris gives them a tour, she says that it’s the first time she’s seen so many humans. Arawn says that he knows it’s hard to have so many at once and Limwris feels honored that he is so concerned. Riannon asks if there are other Elves living there and Limwris says that there are a few to guard the castle. She tells them that according to ancient stories, the Elves had a huge kingdom that was prosperous, but as time passed the population decreased. Riannon asks where they went and Limwris tells her that they went far away to a place that humans will never find. Riannon asks why and Arawn says that the world was too difficult for the Elves to survive. Limwris says that the name of Avalon means apple in an ancient language and from Morgan’s comment, I think it was the first time they had tasted apples. Limwris says that the Elves wanted to create a paradise where the trees would be full of apples, a place of eternal spring. She then says “but the spirits that created the world…” and an angry Arthur cuts her off, demanding to know where the spirits are. She says there aren’t any spirits, it’s an ancient legend and Arthur calms down, walking away. She questions his behavior and Morgan explains that he hates spirits and wants vengeance for his father. She says that as a young boy, he saw his father killed by the sword of a “glowing white spirit” and Arawn reacts to that. Does he know who the spirit is?
Later, the group is gathered together and a sleepy Arawn wants to know what the meeting is about. Morgan yells out “finding stuff to eat” and Riannon tells him that fruit isn’t enough for them. Arawn tells them to just go hunting and Arthur informs him that by law, the Chieftain must lead the party. I liked Arawn’s “another law” reaction.
Arawn takes Arthur to the armory because they don’t have enough weapons for the hunt. They walk inside and Arawn mentions that it should have been guarded. As Arthur looks at the weapons, they suddenly can’t move. An Elven magic circle appears on the floor and a voice asks what they’re doing and calls them thieves. Arawn asks who’s there and the figure introduces herself as “wandering Elven merchant, the great Epona!” Arawn tells her to break the circle and she tells him not to order her. She makes the circle stronger, causing them pain. He tells her to stop and identifies himself. Epona calls him a liar because Lord Arawn has been asleep for thousands of years and she hits him. In the next scene, she is kneeling on the floor apologizing to them. She says that she had no idea who they were and Arawn calls her a “scatterbrain”. Arthur says that he should forgive her already because she has been protecting the place for a long time and Arawn replies with a “whatever”. Arthur compliments Epona on the collection of munitions and other things. He picks up a shallow bowl and asks if it’s a pot. Epona grabs it out of his hands and says it’s an iron helmet, placing it on her head. It obviously isn’t and she comes back with a weak “no?” Funny!
The hunting party has reached the shore and Morgan says that she thought it was supposed to be a bountiful area. Ogam says it is and Arthur says that they have to find their prey and chase it down. Epona says that they don’t have to go through all that and hands a crab flute to Morgan. She asks what it does and is told that if she blows it, the crabs will come. Ogam starts to say “but if you blow it too hard…” and gets cut off because she does exactly that. Many crabs pop up from the sand and Arthur says that they look a little big. Arawn says that he guesses it’s “eat or be eaten” and the hunt is on!
That evening, as the crabs are cooking in large cauldrons right on the beach and everyone is eating, Riannon sees Arawn slip away. She finds him on a bluff with a stone marker, overlooking the sea and says she followed him because he looked lonely. She walks up to him and reads the stone. “The land where dragons dance, the footsteps of giants thunder, the Elves sing and humans laugh.” I wonder what this means. Arawn says that it wasn’t always there and doesn’t know who’d create such a thing. Riannon looks at the red setting sun and tells him that it is “God’s teardrop” and Arawn responds with “like God would ever cry.” Riannon tells him that God cries in bad times and Arawn wants to know who the God is. She says that it’s Myrddian and goes on to tell him that at one time the world was covered in ice and Myrddian gave the gift of fire to humans. She says that it was an unforgivable sin; Myrddian was punished and is still suffering now. Riannon says that on days when the sunset is so red, it is Myrddian crying and the least they can do is pray and give thanks, so that his pain will ease. Arawn says he sees that some still remember, but Myrddian is no longer suffering, because no one is left to punish him, not even that “supposedly omnipresent, omnipotent God” and that Myriddian’s prayers have already become a part of the world and continue to warm it. Riannon wants to know if Arawn knew Myrddian and he says that he did a long time ago. She starts to ask him something, but changes her mind and he suggests that they return to the others.
Back on the beach, everyone has eaten their fill and is dozing. Epona and Morgan seem to be kindred spirits – they are so very much alike! Arthur says that the people are happy with their freedom and that Albion is big and everything is grander than on Erin Island. Riannon says that the breeze is “sweet and familiar” and Arawn says that the two of them would feel that way in Albion. However, out on the ocean, an invasion force is on the way with Gaius at its head. At least Arawn did acquire another wife this time! Or do I speak too soon? :laugh:

This may be replacing Record of Lodoss War as my favorite serious fantasy anime.

I actually just finished this one up. It had a couple weak spots, but overall it was an excellent show. I think you guys will really be liking the twists and turns in this one. It has a great ending too.

There was only one big thing that bothered me. In the last episode, there was a section of background dialogue by Riannon that was not subbed. There was also a song at the end that was not translated. But given everything else, I can forgive those faults.

Episode 5 -

Spoiler

Gaius orders the invasion fleet to Londinium. Meanwhile, Arawn and Ogam talk about the upcoming battle and Arawn says that there is never enough time to prepare for war.
Arthur gets Arawn to go on another hunt – it’s the law after all! When they are in the woods, they notice that it is a little too quiet and realize that they are trespassing on another tribe’s hunting ground. Out of respect, they decide to hunt elsewhere, but they are observed.
That night at camp and a dinner with no meat, a drunken Morgan challenges Arthur for title of First Warrior because she feels that he isn’t fulfilling his duties. Arawn allows the duel and Arthur says that he only acts as Chieftain when it suits him. However, the duel is interrupted by harp music and a wandering minstrel enters the camp. His name is Taliesin (I was wondering when and how this name would show up! Right on the money too!) and he entertains them for a while before asking them if they are of the Gael Clan. They accuse him of being a spy for the Empire, so he leaves, but warns them that the area they’re in belongs to the Brigantes Clan of bandits.
They later find out that Gaius is in Londinium and Arawn decides that they should go “sightseeing”. At one point, Morgan almost gets them caught with her loud mouth. They hijack a supply convoy, but it’s a trap. Gaius has sent a spy after them, but Arthur and Arawn have noticed and take him down. They spy gets away before they can question him and they find that the wagons are full of sand. They know that Gaius will be coming after them and an angry Arthur wants to fight, but Arawn reminds him that only a calm head will prevail. Arthur doesn’t like it, but he understands and they flee.
Poor Arawn gets dragged into another hunt, but this time they end up by the sea again for crabs. Morgan blows the crab flute, but instead of crabs, a person rises from the sea…
Again, I have to say that I really love the mix of humor and story in this series and I think it may become one of my all time favorites as well.

Episode 6 -

Spoiler

A young girl walks out of the sea and joins the group on the beach. Interesting that her clothes and shoes are perfectly dry! She is Llyr of the Elf clan, come to pay her people’s respect to the newly awakened Demon King. She tells Arawn that a passage was opened for her, but she was tired when she arrived, fell asleep and got washed out to sea. Llyr said that she was told to offer her services to him and Arawn says that she can serve him however she likes.
She joins them on the crab hunt and gets complimented by Morgan on her skill. Arawn sees something on the rocks and goes to investigate. At first he thinks it’s a seal, but it turns out to be just a pelt. He takes it back to camp and sees that Riannon is having trouble with the fire because of damp wood. Arawn puts the pelt on the struggling fire, saying that the fat will help the wood to burn.
They have a feast and of course Morgan gets drunk and passes out. They start heading back to the castle and Riannon tugs on Morgan’s arm to get her up, but Morgan only says that she can drink more. Riannon then sees Llyr looking for something and drops Morgan to ask Llyr if she’s lost something. Arawn comes and wants to know what’s going on. Llyr tells him that she just entered his service, but already needs to ask for a leave of absence. As the others gather around them, Arawn asks Llyr for an explanation. She starts to cry, saying that her clothing is gone and without it, she can never return home. She begins to cry in earnest and Riannon tries to calm her down, saying that they’ll help her look.
Arawn asks for a description of the clothing and Llyr says that it’s a seal’s pelt that is the same size as her. Arawn and Riannon gasp and Arthur asks if they know something. Llyr looks at Arawn so hopefully, but he can only apologize and tell her what happened. Llyr looks out to sea and Riannon tells her that it was her fault for telling Arawn about the fire. Llyr says that it’s alright; she regrets not being able to go home, but will stay by Arawn’s side for the rest of her life. Arawn is confused, but Ogam laughs and says that Arawn doesn’t know it, but “Seal Elf women marry the man that steals their clothing”. He goes on to say that Arawn took her clothing and burned it, so he can’t give it back, so that means…………… And the whole group gasps! Arawn has another wife!
At the castle, Llyr is given the task of doing the laundry. As pretty soap bubbles float over the castle grounds, Ermin sees Llyr covers in soap foam and thinks she’s a monster. But once the “monster” asks for help, she realizes who it is. Next, Limwris tries to teach Llyr how to milk the cows, but she gets kicked. Poor Llyr ends up crying for being so unlucky and useless. Riannon and the maids tell her that everyone makes mistakes and Llyr decides that maybe she isn’t so unlucky after all.
There are soldiers in a forest searching for something under the command of Sir Bubulx. They find a wheel from the wagon that the Gaels stole. Sir Bubulx says that the Gaels must be nearby and calls for Octavia. He tells her to find them and attack them, but she reminds him that they are on a reconnaissance mission and should report their findings. Bubulx cuts her off, saying that he doesn’t want anyone else to get the glory, but Octavia tells him that it’s against orders. Bubulx tells her that one doesn’t get promoted without taking risks and tells her to gather the troops. I can tell that Octavia doesn’t like him very much.
Back at the castle, they are told that Imperial soldiers are nearby. Arawn asks about a suspension bridge and Ogam says that the forest between the castle and he bridge is perfect for the enemy to launch a sneak attack. Arthur asks if they should attack them in the forest.
The Imperial soldiers cross the bridge and Octavia just knows it’s a trap. Arawn’s group is hidden in the trees and Arawn signals to Arthur who then gives the signal to attack. The soldiers are trapped and Octavia saves Bubulx, telling him to order a retreat. I really like Arawn’s red sword. As Octavia fights with a Gael, she tells Bubulx to hurry up and issue the order and he resents her telling him what to do. She says that – “as this rate, this’ll be nothing but pointless bloodshed” and that retreat is the only option. Bubulx tells her to shut up, but when an arrow narrowly misses him, he gets up and runs away. What a coward! Octavia takes it upon her self to order a retreat and tells the archers to provide cover, but Ogam raise a magic shield against them.
The soldiers run back across the bridge as the Gaels shoot arrows at them and begin to pursue them. Bubulx sees this and starts to hack at the ropes holding the bridge together. Arthur sees what he’s doing and orders his own men to go back. Octavia yells at Bubulx to stop, but with a final blow, he severs the ropes and the bridge starts to collapse. Arthur is the last one on his side and Riannon calls to him. Arthur makes a jump for it but misses and Arawn saves him.
Octavia is hanging from the remains of the bridge and tries to save a soldier, but loses her grip and he falls to his death. As the bridge falls apart, more soldiers fall as well and Arthur is disgusted that they would “sacrifice their own comrades”, but Arawn says that they "don’t think of each other as comrades”. Octavia is the only one left hanging on her side of the bridge.
Back at headquarters, Bubulx is angry that Octavia told their superiors about the incident and Octavia tells him that she did what was right. Bubulx considers drawing his sword, but backs down from her look that dares him to do so. He leaves, saying that he won’t forget what she did. Octavia looks out the window and looks at her own sword, saying “Brother”. She asks for him to give her the “strength to never lose sight of the right path” and ask him for guidance.
In the forest the Gaels have set up camp and Arthur gives them a rousing speech. He says “fighting alongside each other, helping each other, believing in each other – I trust in my comrades and I will protect them until the very end. No matter what happens. I stake my pride on it.” Arawn looks at him with approval. Arthur is a true leader.

The part that really made me laugh…

… was when Llyr was milking that cow. She was told to ‘pull down gently’, but she just took hold and grabbed it so hard and jerked it down! And that cow had every right to kick her! :laugh:
And you have to wonder if Arawn has consummated any of his marriages yet…
I have a feeling that we’ll be seeing more friction between Octavia and Bubulx in the future. I think she’d make a great 4th wife for Arawn… :wink:

I agree with you Slowhand!

Spoiler

Poor Llyr! As good as she is with a weapon - she is lousy at everyday chores! Good thing they didn’t ask her to help with the cooking!
I’ve been wondering about that with Arawn as well. He seems to treat his wives more like sisters than lovers.
I also thought Octavia would end up being a wife somehow. I think they would be a good match, more so than any of the others. I also thought Limwris might end up as a wife too. We’ll have to see how many more he collects over time! :laughing:

Sorry, ladies, but I have to disagree-for now!

Octavia is too “straight arrow” to jump over to the Gaels side right now. She has her brother’s legacy to live up to and she still believes in the Empire. I have a feeling the clash between Bublix and her will eventually open her eyes to the corruption of the Empire and bring her to a point where she will throw in with the Gaels. It will be interesting to keep an eye on her-and that won’t be too hard! :wink:

Yes Newshawk -

Spoiler

I do see her clashing more with Bubulx. However, I’m not sure if she will ever go to the Gael’s side (the wife thing may be wishful thinking on my part - I just think it would be a good match). Although Octavia may eventually see the Empire for what it is, she does seem to be a loyal soldier.

She does strike me as the loyal soldier type who tries to fix the problems from the inside.

Octavia is one of the best characters in the entire series, and I know you guys will grow to love her as it goes along. She’s incredible! I’m also pretty sure you will like the directions she chooses to take. If you’re familiar with this type of game or anime, you can probably already guess it, but they do handle it in a fairly unique way. OCTAVIA ROCKS!
I really can’t wait to see who does her English voice! SQUEEE OF EXCITEMENT!

There was a reason I grabbed Octavia in the other thread. She does indeed, ROCK!!

Christine Auten or Shelley Calene Black. My top two picks.

That’s not bad. They would both be great!

She is one of the truly 3 dimensional characters of the show.

OMG i need another episode of this!!!

i hate and love cliffhangers…

yoka

Episode 7 -

Spoiler

Arthur and Arawn look over their training warriors as Arthur explains his training philosophy of “festina lente” – “slowly make haste”. Arawn walks away and Arthur accuses the Chieftain of “slacking off”.
Morgan is bored and tied of working. Poor Llyr still can’t milk the cows. Morgan wants to “let loose” and Limwris has a suggestion. Morgan later asks Arthur about a fighting tournament and he thinks it’s a great idea. But Arawn tells them that they can’t enter a tournament that the Empire is holding and Arthur has to agree with him, so Morgan comes up with another idea. She also wants to look over the bazaar that will accompany the tournament in Londinium. She’d like to find something called “Red Branch” – “an incredibly precious item”.
Ogam thinks it might be a good idea to check out the tournament in order to gauge the skills of the enemy. Arawn finally agrees on the condition that they do nothing to make themselves stand out. I thought it very funny that Morgan told Arawn that she’d “never do anything to stand out in a town that the enemy may be in”. Based on her last trip to town, I have a feeling that things are going to go very wrong and I think Arawn agrees with me!
Once in town, Arthur notes that it’s more lively than the last time they were there and guesses that the “tournament really brings out the energy in people.” Llyr is worried that someone will find out that she’s an Elf and about the things that could be done to her and Riannon tries to reassure her. Of course, just as Arawn reminds Morgan of her promise not to stand out, she points and yells his name, before running off. Epona has set up shop there as well, and Morgan runs up to her and asks her if she ever gets rare items. Epona says that if she wants something, she will get it for Morgan - for a fee of course. Morgan starts to ask about “Red Branch”, but changes it to “red, shiny, and really pretty” and when Epona says it isn’t much to go on, Morgan describes the shape and size. Then the group catches up to her and Arawn grabs her hood as they pass, almost choking her, and drags her away. He tells her that she can look for things after the tournament and continues to drag her along, kicking and yelling – so much for not standing out!
I have to say that I’m impressed with the attention to detail given to the coliseum – right down to the details of the sun shades! Very nice work! Anyway, there is a monster in the arena (an ogre?) and a child with a very large hammer is his opponent. An official, Mayor Creon, bets against the child and the group watches as Arawn and Ogam determine that the child is a mine Elf. Mine Elves have exceptional strength to do metal work and used to live in the forest, but now the forest is polluted with a toxic material called “Gravitas” and is no longer fit for the ancient species to live in.
As Ogam talks, the fight continues with the Elf finally defeating the monster. Another official tries to collect his winnings from Mayor Creon, but he seems to be a sore loser and with a snap of his fingers, Mayor Creon sends his soldiers after the Elf. They surround the Elf and say that since children are not allowed to fight, he must forfeit the win. The child uses the hammer to create some dust as he digs a tunnel for a quick get away.
Arawn and Riannon are there when the child comes out of the other end. How did Arawn know where the child would end up? Arawn grabs him before he can duck back into the hole and it was funny when the Elf calls Arawn a “kidnapper”. But the Elf seemed surprised to hear that Arawn knew him to be a mine Elf, before dropping the child on his butt. Arawn asks him why he entered the tournament and the Elf tells him that he wants to win the “Silvanus” steel. He tells Arawn that he could mine it himself, but it’s too hard to do now because of the “Gravitas” and with “Silvanus” he can make household goods like carving knives, pots and tableware. The Elf even notices that Riannon is a newlywed and she is surprised that he could tell.
Arawn compares him to Epona and asks why Elves are so obsessed with money, but the Elf doesn’t care about money, he just wants to use his skills. So, Arawn asks “why pots and knives?” and pulls open his coat, draws his sword and tells the Elf that he should make weapons. Arawn says that “making powerful swords and armor is your true business, is it not?” and asks the Elf to help them. However, the Elf’s father said to “never trust someone dressed in black” and also says that Arawn doesn’t “have an honest face.” Arawn just sighs.
Back in the coliseum, Mayor Creon introduces himself to the crowd as the tournament sponsor and announces a “special” battle – “a duel of honor between two Imperial soldiers.” It turns out that Octavia is one - and the other is Bubulx! Arawn and Riannon return to their seats just in time to see Octavia introduced. Octavia knows that this fight is Bubulx’s revenge for her reporting him to their superiors and he promises to make her suffer. Octavia tells him that his “character is unbecoming of an Imperial soldier” and as they fight, it is clear that Octavia has the better skills.
The group remarks on her skill and Morgan tells Arthur that women make great warriors and she will soon replace him as First Warrior herself. Arthur takes offense, but Arawn tells them to watch the fight and Octavia’s fighting style. Arthur questions this until he sees for himself that her skill is completely different from his Gael warriors. Octavia knocks Bubulx down and tells him to stop fighting because he’ll never beat her, but Bubulx gets up, breathing heavily and tells her not to be so sure of herself. Several chariots then enter the arena and circle them.
Riannon asks if this is what a tournament is really like and Ogam says that it isn’t, while Arawn says that it’s probably a plot and Arthur says it’s terrible. Ogam notes that the Mayor is going to let the fight continue as the men in the chariots begin to shoot arrows at Octavia. She manages to deflect them and Arthur stands up saying that his warrior pride won’t let him watch this and do nothing. Arawn tells him to think of the consequences, but Morgan has already gone to Octavia’s aid. Arawn calls her an idiot and Ogam just laughingly says that she’s an “earnest” person.
But Octavia doesn’t want Morgan’s help and says that she can handle things on her own. Morgan helps her anyway and the crowd cheers. Octavia ends up accepting her help, but tells her to protect herself. The mine Elf is suddenly sitting with Arawn and he seems a little surprised to see the Elf. I wonder where the mine Elf has been hiding up until now. The Elf questions what will happen and I had to laugh when Arawn says “the crap has hit the fan” – only because of the kinds of fans they had in those days! And the mine Elf seems more concerned about the prize of “Silvanus” steel than anything else.
The girls manage to take down a few of the chariots, but Bubulx gets behind Morgan and just as he is about to kill her, Octavia strikes him, saving her. Octavia has disabled his sword arm and declares herself the winner. Octavia and Morgan turn and walk away – why would they turn their backs to an enemy anyway? Bubulx is very angry and says that he will make Octavia’s military life miserable for causing him such embarrassment. Octavia turns back – I thought to finish him, but she only taps him on the head with her sword and he falls to the ground in a faint. The crowd cheers her and Morgan compliments her.
Octavia compliments Morgan as well, but tells her that she isn’t near her own level yet. Morgan takes offense and challenges Octavia, but Octavia says that as much as she’d like to accept, she isn’t that ungrateful. Octavia mistakenly assumes that Morgan is working for the Empire and thinks they may be able to fight side by side at some point. Then she realizes that if Morgan was born around there, she is against the Empire, but thanks her for her help anyway and asks her name. Morgan tells her and says that she had fun, calling Octavia “lady Imperial swordsman”. Octavia corrects her, telling Morgan her name, but Morgan can’t pronounce it and spills the beans that she is Gael clan. She asks Octavia to pretend that she didn’t hear that and Octavia agrees as Morgan’s companions call to her to hurry. She bids Octavia farewell, saying her name correctly, and runs off. Octavia really just proved again that she is a lady of honor – if I hadn’t already known it.
Walking home, Morgan is depressed that she didn’t find any “Red Branch” and from her earlier description, I wonder if Octavia’s earrings are made from it. Arawn and Ogam notice that the mine Elf is following them and he runs up to them and asks Ogam if he’s the “great sage” and says that he saw him a long time ago. When Ogam confirms that he is, the Elf asks if he’s heard the rumor that Arawn has been reborn and Ogam looks at Arawn as the Elf says that the legends tell that Arawn is a great man – “cloaked in black with eyes that dwell in the light of the stars, a crimson sword at his waist”. The Elf says that he’d like to meet him someday and then takes a better look at Arawn. He notes that he’s "cloaked in black”, has “eyes that dwell in the light of the stars” and has “a crimson sword at his waist”, but thinks it’s impossible until Ogam confirms Arawn’s identity.
The Elf backs up and falls to the ground, asking Arawn to forgive his earlier rudeness and tells him that his name is Rathty. Arawn asks him if he’s come to help and says that it would be good to have a mine Elf with them. The Elf agrees to help and promises to repair their kitchenware. Arawn once again tells Rathty that they need weapons, but the Elf either ignored him or didn’t hear him and says that he can “make lots of sharp carving knives from his sword”. Arawn tells him to keep his “hands off the goods”, so the Elf says he can make pots from the sword instead. I think Arawn has another little annoyance on his hands!
Now, who are these mysterious soldiers in red armor? Am I seeing things or does their leader look like Octavia? And the leader says that they are ready to begin their attack. But just on who exactly???

This series has been fun up to this point, I knew sooner or later Octavia was going to get screwed over, should be interesting to see her next move.

Ep. 10

Nice to see Octavia has joined sides with the Gael. I’m really liking her character.