The Big O / The Big O II

The Big O

Genres: action, mystery, psychological, science fiction
Themes: mecha, noir, robot girl
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 1999-10-13 to 2000-01-19 (Season 1) / 2003-01-02 to 2003-03-27 (Season 2)
Plot Summary: Paradigm City is a place without a past. 40 years ago, something happened that wiped the memories of everyone in it. Unfortunately, the people of Paradigm City were very busy before then, making Megadueses(giant robots) and monsters. People who were born after the memory wipe are gaining/recovering memories of the past and using them to build newer threats. Roger Smith keeps Paradigm City safe with the help of The Big O (a faithful giant robot), his butler Norman and the android Dorothy, Roger keeps Paradigm City safe. As problems mount and more memories surface, Roger’s past and Paradigm’s future begin to become suspect…

ANN Info Page

Big O Toonami Commercial

:unsure:
I guess this means I’ll at least get to see the first season of this now, since AS doesn’t show anything but the second season ever since I actually started watching CN.

Very true. I’m curious how the TV deal with that will work out, since Sentai hasn’t aired any shows on Adult Swim and isn’t likely to for some time. Of course, CN helped finance the second season, so it must make the rights interesting.

A retro-style, noir, steampunk-ish mecha show. Now that’s what the world needs more of; and it goes well with Godannar too.

The only thing that I remember about this, besides the amnesia, was that the main character drove a “Batmobile” that was designed to protect itself against vandals, vandals who flocked to it like ants to a crumb when he parked it.

This show always reminds me of Zone of the Enders. I wonder when we can see rescues of that (as well as the other ADV shows dubbed by the “B-team”, like Dai-Guard).

ADV and Geneon both had very large catalogs. I honestly doubt we will see everything they licensed rescued at some point. They were just too many shows, and many of them never performed well. Unless they are incredibly cheap, likely why we’ve seen things like Yumeria get rescued, or they’re included in bundles, they will probably be gone from North American shelves for a long time, if not permanently.

I think the best chance some of those shows have, like Dai-Guard, is to be picked up by Nozomi. After all, they have given some other old ADV and Geneon shows homes, like Gasaraki, Nadesico, and El-Hazard.

I was actually lucky enough to pick up one of the final copies of Dai-Guard that Right Stuf had. It was actually put out in one of those thick flipper bricks that both ADV and Bandai used to use for complete collections. It’s also notable as being one of the very dubs that ADV made that had voice actors recording together for some of the scenes.

I’ve been carrying a bundle of the three singles for The Big O II in my for sale stuff for about … five years. Nobody’s even asked if I could do better on the price.

I have the two Bandai Anime Legends 4 disc sets. I will however be getting Sentai’s set. Wonder which music the theme will use. Sets I have use the second one. The original 4 singles for first and 4 singles for second season used the first one. Hopefully Sentai got the Blu-ray rights and if they did they are not gimped.

I honestly can’t see Sentai not releasing this on bluray. Enough time has passed since the Japanese set that Sunrise shouldn’t be too worried about reverse importation. Plus, Sentai is even trying subonly bluray now, so I doubt they would skip it on a show that ran on Adult Swim. I’m just curious as to how many sets it will be released in. I could see them doing both in one set, but they also may split them up.

If anything, they’ll probably do something similar to what they did with Fate/Stay Night: release 2 BD sets and a single collection DVD. They’d want to capitalize on the “first time on BD” thing, and and affordable DVD set for those that always said, “ehh…I’ll get it later” but never did crowd.

I think that primarily happened because TBS and Sentai wanted to capitalize on Fate/Zero’s popularity. If TBS hadn’t been involved and had Fate/Zero not been recent, I doubt that would have happened. They’ve had no qualms about releasing large bluray sets in the past, just look at Gatchaman, Guin Saga, and Golgo 13. They could also do the two seasons individually as well. It’s really hard to say until the solicitations are out.

Haggling at cons doesn’t work as often as it should in my experience. So much of the merch at Otakon was just the leftovers from previous cons…

The split bluray is why I haven’t picked up fsn yet.

Was this show actually remade in real HD? Except concerning playability I think that bluray > DVD regardless of the resolution of the video but, despite that, I’m not ready for another Black Lagoon-esque bluray release…

I am pretty sure the Japanese Blu-rays were an upscale. They were however from what I remember done properly and looked better then Bandai Ent’s DVD’s from the screencap comparison I saw I can not find now. The problem right now is what masters are given and what Sentai does with them if they have Blu-ray.

Q. any news on the release date for the big o?

A. Taking our time with this one. Office favorite, gotta treat it right. :slight_smile: #NotakonSentaipanel2014

Q) How are plans with Kurokami the Animation and The Big O coming along? Oh and what’s ur fav OP out of your catalog?

A) Right now, no news on either, but there are def. plans in place.

What’s CN’s involvement in all of this?

They helped fund season 2.

Similar to how they helped fund Space Dandy.

Do they have any involvement with Sentai’s current quest to resurrect the series here?

Also, I’m kind of disappointed that Sentai’s answer to “favorite OP” was KotS. :smile:

https://twitter.com/ZeroAlucard27/status/624691089149198336

@Sentaifilmworks At the risk of redundancy, any updates for us regarding Big O and other Sunrise stuff you guys picked up?

.@ZeroAlucard27 Jimmy! As of right now, no additional news on our Sunrise stuff. Keep asking us though! :slight_smile: #SentaiNotakon