The Count of Monte Cristo / Gankutsuou

[size=16]The Count of Monte Cristo / Gankutsuou[/size]

[quote]Genres: adventure, drama, mystery, romance, science fiction
Themes: deception, futuristic, revenge
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: Trying to escape his uneventful life, Albert, the son of a renowned general from Paris, makes a journey with his friend Franz. During his travels, he meets an immensely wealthy nobleman named The Count of Monte Cristo. Living in luxurious hotels, surrounded by beautiful women and strong bodyguards, the charming but enigmatic count fascinates Albert. Albert invites the count to join the high society of Paris. However, unknown to Albert, his father had once framed the count and took the Count’s fiancée as his own.
Number of Episodes: 24
Vintage: 2004-10-05 to 2005-03-29[/quote]
ANN Info Page

RightStuf Link
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo DVD Complete Series (Hyb) - S.A.V.E.

So why have I not heard more about this amazing series? I’ve been watching it (slowly) on Funimation’s Video Portal and it really is amazing. The first episode alone blew me away. This is an excellent series. It’s mature, suspenseful, dark, and very different. Also the Count is a real character…

I gata buy this title sooner rather then later.

It’s a beautiful series. I enjoyed it very much when it was on TV. The only problem I had with it is the fact that everything is constantly moving. I got a little queasy watching the first couple of episodes, but once you get used to the style, it is a great show. The opening song is especially beautiful.
:slight_smile:

Oh yes I am not at all a fan of the style of art the used. While in still shots everything looks amazing and beautiful, watching it all in motion it just gives me a headache. Really it makes my head spin, and it makes it hard to look at the screen for too long. I am noticing that as we go along they are useing less and less of that style, or perhaps I am adjusting to it. But still it gives me quite a headache. But the story is so good it’s alright. I for one and glad this style never cought on though, as I can’t imagine watching more shows like this. I’d need a lot of tylenol for that.

The story is sophisticated, intellegent, mature, and thrilling. All things I enjoy in an anime. The characters are rich, and it’s all very engaging. And OH MY GOD the Count. I’m only on Episode 8, but really there’s no one else quite like HIM in anime. He’s quite a character.

The opening theme is amazing! It reminds me of Monster’s ending theme. And the ending theme is a new favorite of mine!! Very exciting, thrilling, and LOUD. Reminds me a little of Monster’s opening theme haha.

Oh and [details=spoiler] Peppo’s a boy? OMG trap…I thought it was just an innocent (ok not innocent but a nice thug) cute girl. Now I’m scared of her/him. There’s more him then meats the eye. I’m sure he’s a major player in the Count’s plan, whatever that is. Another thing that’s something I love trying to figure out. I see how everything is so woven, complex, and intricatet. And it’s all very well thought out. You watch as the Count’s plan plays out, but your not sure what is his direct doing, and why or how he’s doing it. Amazing. Hope it pays off in the end. I hear mecha get’s involved, Gonzo couldn’t resist the tempation :stuck_out_tongue: . Don’t give me answers btw lol. Only on episode 8 [/details]

I am glad the style never caught on as well, although it may have been good for the aspirin manufacturers! :laugh:

The Count is a wonderful, multi-faceted character. He only gets better as the show develops. I think you will enjoy seeing how he came to be.

Although the story is loosely based on the Dumas book, it is very different.

This show keeps getting better and better. Everyone should really buy this on DVD. One of the best suspense-thrillers out there. Nothing’s been this good suspense-wise since Death Note. I like how everything keeps building and building on it’s self. We need more anime like this. This can easily be a 9/10 or a 10/10 if it keeps up this quality throughout. Hope the ending is good too…

I’m upset no one has forced me to watch this series sooner. What other amazing series have I not seen yet? I don’t even remember Geneon having this one. They must have sneaked this one out there without me knowing about it or something. They liked to make sure I had no clue their stuff existed.

I saw this series about a year ago. I’d say one of my favorite aspects of the show was the unique art --like you guys have said, things are constantly moving, so the details are always grabbing my attention. Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but the artwork of the Count’s house is phenomenal, very far out.

Also, for me personally, the first episode was my favorite, but the rest of the series was still a great watch. They really build up to a great ending, so I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, especially since you’re enjoying the series so much.

I love the voice of the English Dub Count. His deep baritone had me switched over to the dub.
I had initially watched the sub. This is by and far one of the better adaption of previous classical written, or theatrical work for an anime.

A rework, that works. The only thing I did not like was the odd looking suits of armor. Luckily they are not used that much and they serve their purpose for hiding identity later in the show

I personally liked the textile-LSD patterns that replaced normal coloring… I will admit though, I only liked it in this show.

[size=16]Viewster Adds Gankutsuou[/size]
posted on 2015-08-21 09:22 EDT
2004 Gonzo series added.

1 Like

An excellent choice!

###ANNCast Series Discussion: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
by Zac Bertschy and Jacob Chapman, Dec 14th 2016