The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior / Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior / Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: ecchi, fanservice, school
Objectionable content Mild
Plot Summary: Thanks to his parents’ job transfer, high school freshman Kazunari Usa finally gets to enjoy living on his own in Kawai Complex, a boarding house that provides meals for its residents. Ritsu, the sempai he always admired, also lives in Kawai Complex, along with a few “unique” individuals e.g. his masochistic roommate, Kinosaki; beautiful, big-breasted Mayumi who has no luck in finding men; and sly, predatory college woman Ayaka. Surrounded by all these people, Usa never finds his daily life boring.
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2014-04-03

ANN Info Page

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou by Love Lab’s Miyahara Gets TV Anime

posted on 2013-11-28 01:55 EST
Ruri Miyahara’s teen comedy about boy who moves into complex filled with odd perverts

Sentai Filmworks Press Release

March 26, 2014

I’m on the fence about the art in this one as the world is pretty detailed but the characters are a bit too, ah, stylized IMO.

That skirt in there promo picture reminds me of the old adage: “a good sermon is like a good skirt:short enough to arouse interest but long enough to cover the essentials.”

…it is causing PTSD as it reminds me of that time I started to watch makenki…

Crunchyroll to Stream The Kawai Complex Guide to Manners and Hostel Behavior

posted on 2014-04-04 15:09 EDT
Series to premiere April 5 in US, Canada

ANN Spotlight: The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior

Mar 17th 2014

Ep. 01

Man!
That first episode was just awesomely funny!
I’m definitely sticking with this one!

Episode 1 –

spoiler

Not too sure about Usa, but at least the girls are very well protected! I never saw so many precautions. LOL

This looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun!

Episode 2 –

spoiler

So, the pervert is actually a pretty fun guy. That was a nice idea he came up with, and everyone enjoyed the bubbles. But I had to feel bad for Usa again.

Ritsu seems like the anti-social-hard-to-make-friends type, so I see what Sumiko is doing too. I think she’d like to see Ritsu and Usa become friends. Ritsu really does need to get her nose out of book once in a while anyway. Still, that might also just be the trick for Usa to get on Ritsu’s good side.

I just loved the “Birth of Venus”! LOL I think Ritsu enjoyed it too. In fact, it might have been Shiro that broke the ice between the two kids. But Usa’s comments helped. Unfortunately, “1 step forward, 10 steps back”. LOL Poor Usa always looks like the pervert in the group – and he’s the one that gets whacked!

That was some funny fast forwarding, and Mayumi has an interesting way of getting people to watch horror movies with her. And Sumiko decorates! Hysterical. The last resident, Sayaka, shows up, but I’m not sure what to make of her yet. It was another fun episode!

This one’s kinda weird…I like it so far, no doubt about it, but still weird. On one hand, a show with sharp line work; beautiful, detailed backgrounds with sumptuous color pallets. On the other hand, a pervy, silly comedy one mostly seen on less detailed, “generic” shows.

And then there’s the characters designs: for the most part done in a semi-realistic fashion but then they morph into this kinda weird, off-kilter look. I’m not talking about the chibi takes or exaggerated reaction shots either.

It’s like “The Garden of Words” pervy-side.

Episode 3 –

spoiler

Usa is still getting nowhere with Ritsu. But he now has allies in his quest! I’m just not sure if they will actually help him or make things worse. I think I’m leaning towards worse at the moment. LOL

Ep. 02

I loved the bubble bit.
Looks like Ritsu is starting to open up a slight bit.

COMING TO ANIME NETWORK IN MAY

STARTING: May 6th @ 11:00 PM EST / 8:00 PM PST

Episode 4 –

spoiler

My, my, Usa can be a little devious at times! But at least he got to walk with Ritsu, even if she did have her nose in a book. However, she really can’t read like this and wants to know if he has a flat tire. He lies again and continues walking with her. Ritsu closes her book and Usa is suddenly unsure how to take that, but he’s happy anyway.

At lest there’s a little bit of an excuse for why Ritsu is alone, with no friends. But it looks like that just makes Usa want to try harder. And he does, walking with her again, although she tells him that it’s unnecessary. He still can’t figure out if she’s lonely or not. But Ritsu can see what he’s doing too. She still thinks he’s a weirdo, while Usa thinks he’s making progress.

I don’t think Usa realizes it, but he’s turning into a bit of a stalker. He gets to see Ritsu interact with a couple of her old friends and is a little relieved to see her so happy. But when she notices him, she runs away. Usa follows her and Ritsu puts her foot down, telling him in no uncertain terms to leave her alone. But when she sees his reaction, she tells him that she was kidding and apologizes. However, Usa still feels horrible. Sayaka and Mayumi do like playing with him as well for their own amusement.

Ritsu tries to work things out by talking to Shiro, and Usa overhears the conversation. He realizes that he was completely wrong about Ritsu. He decides to give up on talking to her, but that doesn’t mean he won’t stand next to her. But for how many traffic lights?! He sees how happy she looks when she’s reading. After a while, he decides to let her know the light is green, and ends up walking with her – and talking with her. Again. But he makes her laugh, so that’s a good thing, right? Usa is happy enough.

After pointing out a rainbow to Ritsu, Usa actually gets a murmured “thank you” that he pretends he can’t hear. But he did since he tells her that she’s welcome. Perhaps Usa should try reaching Ritsu through her books. If they had something in common, they could talk about it more. Usa could probably stand to expand his horizons a bit anyway. Go read a book Usa! LOL

This show is a winner.

Ep. 03

I loved how Shiro tied Shibari knots on Usa’s bike rack!
I just couldn’t stop laughing at that!

Episode 1 (Sub) is live at ANO

Episode 5 –

spoiler

Does that really count as a first kiss? LOL Will Usa ever wash his arm again? I loved the water gun fight. Ritsu looked very cute, although she wasn’t as Usa envisioned. That was probably a good thing!

Usa finally makes the connection between Ritsu’s books and her moods. Took him long enough. But in reading one of her books, I think he just got a little closer to her. At least they are talking about it. And Ritsu lets him borrow the book as well.

Mayumi is becoming a real obstacle on the path to true love. She keeps ruining things! The girl needs to get a boyfriend so she can leave Usa alone! Story time was pretty funny and the story was pretty awful.

Talking about books again leads Usa and Ritsu to have another conversation. However, they have differing opinions of the book, which leads to more awkwardness. But Usa gets so flustered that he misses the look of pleasure on Ritsu’s face. He’s finally found a way to reach her and doesn’t even realize it! Well, maybe next time.

Episode 2 (Sub) is live at ANO

Episode 6 –

spoiler

Shiro gets a girlfriend! Unfortunately, she’s still in elementary school. Actually, Shiro found her wallet and turned it in. The girl and her mother come to thank him and it’s suddenly turned into a love triangle! LOL Mom looks really uncomfortable too. She obviously doesn’t want Shiro’s attention. LOL

However, the little girl, Chinatsu, is a bit of a sadist, so she and Shiro get along just fine. Then she confesses, and thankfully, Shiro tells her to tell him again in nine more years. At least he isn’t a total pedophile - yet. And Mayumi steps in to help Chinatsu change her mind. She just ends up making the little girl cry.

Progress! Usa gets a roundabout compliment from Ritsu! They also see Chinatsu’s friends running away from her. Then her mother shows up at the complex, looking for her. It looks like Chinatsu may have run away from home. Everyone goes out to search for her, but Usa finds her hiding in the yard. While they wait for her mother to pick her up, Mayumi tries to smooth things over with her. She really isn’t very good with children. Nope, not at all!

Chinatsu had a fight with her friends, and the group helps her work through her problem. Shiro tells her to come back with her friends to see the Pythagoras in action. Chinatsu does make up with her friends and she does bring them over to see the Pythagoras, which is pretty cool. I am really starting to like Shiro. He comes up with such fun ideas! But in the end, he loses his little sadist girlfriend, and Sumiko knows just how to cheer him up.

Episode 7 –

spoiler

There’s a molester in the neighborhood and it isn’t Shiro! But as the residents talk about molesters, Ritsu is warned about molesters in bookstores. It seems she may already have met one or two in a bookstore. With this molester on the loose, Sumiko forbids Ritsu to read while she’s walking for the time being. That request is going to kill Ritsu, but it just isn’t safe. Ritsu is too innocent and defenseless.

However, Ritsu just got a book that she really wants to read and tells Sumiko that she has Usa to protect her. But she only wants him to walk with her so she can read. Still, it makes Usa feel like her boyfriend. And as he watches Ritsu, it dawns on him that he could be a molester himself where Ritsu is concerned! LOL

By the third day, Usa is a mess. Mayumi and Sayaka tell him that Ritsu is being selfish, but Usa doesn’t see it that way and doesn’t mind anyway. Ritsu overhears their conversation. The next day, it’s announced that the molester was arrested. Bad news for Usa. His time with Ritsu is over. Ritsu is happy with the news and leaves immediately for the library.

As it gets later, Usa and Sumiko aren’t too worried about Ritsu until they find out that the molester that was supposedly arrested may still be on the loose. Part of the way Ritsu comes home is underground, so there is cause for worry now. And at that very moment Ritsu is underground, reading as she walks. And the molester does accost her. However, with the way Ritsu is, she has her nose in a book and doesn’t even notice the molester.

The molester doesn’t like not being seen and turns around to grab Ritsu. But Usa is there to slap his hand away and insult the molester. Mayumi, Sayaka, and Shiro are with Usa and Sayaka takes care of the molester in her own unpleasant way. While he’s down for the count, Shiro ties him up. Afterwards, Usa tells Shiro that he forgot to pull the guy’s pants back up. This time, the police arrest the right guy.

Back home, Usa reprimands Ritsu. She says that she could have taken care of herself, but it turns out that she wouldn’t have been able to when Usa presses her to try. When she’s safely on the girl’s side, Ritsu turns around and tells Usa that she’ll be more careful, thanking him in the process. Then she hits him with a wooden sword!

Once summer vacation starts, Usa wonders if he should get a part time job, but then he wouldn’t be able to see Ritsu every day. He ends up asking Ritsu to recommend a book to him, and she says that she’ll have to think about it. Usa begins to fantasize about Ritsu. LOL It’s summer, it’s hot, and Sumiko doesn’t want to work. She wishes to be taken out to dinner and she wants someone to pay for it. They all end up at a restaurant that Sumiko’s friend owns. The woman just happens to be looking for some part time help for her café.

She needs someone that can handle strange characters. Then she sees Usa in action. Perfect! Usa is offered the job. He refuses and the woman tries to entice him by telling him that it’s a fun place to work. Sumiko lets out a little info about Usa’s earlier school days and after he admits to it, he finds Ritsu trying to contain her laughter. Once again, he refuses the job.

The next day, Sumiko and the café owner gang up on Usa and put him in a costume for the café. Still, he continues to refuse the job. That is until Ritsu sees him in the costume. She’s enchanted, and she shakes as she hands him the books that she’s picked out for him. He asks her how he looks and he loves her reaction. Usa ends up accepting the job. Just as Sumiko planned! I can’t wait to get a load of this “student houseboy” café!