The Severing Crime Edge / Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge

Episode 7 (Sub) is live at ANO

Episode 10 –

Spoiler

Something is wrong. Iwai’s hair did not grow back overnight. Was it because of everything that happened at the party? She was pretty emotional. Or was it because she admitted feelings for her Author? But because of her hair problem, she avoids Kiri and I don’t think that’s a good idea. Especially since it seems that there is a new Author on the scene – one looking to avenge her father.

Iwai is just having a bad day all around. And Kiri isn’t doing much better. I think he’s getting the wrong idea about why Iwai doesn’t want to see him, poor guy. Doubt seems to be creeping in. In order to distract herself, Iwai goes shopping and meets a little girl named Emily. Iwai should know better about talking to strangers because this little girl is an Author and an assassin for Lady Violet Witchy.

Iwai takes Emily shopping and promises to help her find her dad. Kiri happens to be at the mall as well and thinks he sees Iwai, but believes that he’s only seeing things; he just really wants to see her. Iwai soon realizes that she’s with an Author and screams. Thankfully, Kiri hears her and comes running to her rescue, but Emily escapes.

Kiri discovers Iwai’s secret, but that won’t stop him from loving her. And he says this with a mouthful of her hair! LOL Anyway, Iwai is really happy and relieved when Kiri declares himself to be her boyfriend. He leaves her to search for Emily and as he looks for her, he understands why Iwai avoided him. Sweet that he loves her enough to not care about Crime Edge, but I wonder what would happen to him without an Instead and if their relationship could withstand something like that in the long run.

Kiri finds Emily at the rooftop amusement park. He can’t believe that someone so young is an Author and that she has no Instead. Her Killing Goods is a pair of gloves, hence her name – Emily Redhands, and she calls her Goods the Blood-Red Dissecting Opener and knives are her weapons. Kiri doesn’t want to fight a child, but that isn’t going to stop Emily. She wants to kill the Queen, but Kiri can’t let her do that either. He tries to convince her otherwise, but this is one hard little girl.

Emily attacks Kiri and draws first blood. She explains that her Goods are custom made and calls herself Order Made. This surprises Kiri, but she gives him no time to think as she attacks again. Once again, she slices him and he realizes just how fast and deadly Emily is. She seems to have a never ending supply of knives and Kiri is having trouble keeping up with her, while avoiding those knives. At one point, Kiri drops Crime Edge and goes into a panic. He manages to get Crime Edge, but he runs instead of fighting. Back, in the building, he locks the door to the roof. Does he really think that will stop or even slow down Emily?

Kiri is still having trouble with the fact that such a deadly Author is only a little girl. It’s in this moment of weakness that Iwai finds him. Iwai has brought the security guards with her and Emily overhears their conversation. She hears Iwai call Kiri her friend and Emily didn’t seem to like that. She calls through the door to Iwai that her father liked her the most. Could she possibly be Iwai’s sister? The security guards open the door against Kiri’s warning, but Emily is gone. Kiri is feeling his weakness and Emily realizes that as well and she looks forward to killing the Queen. And she plans to do so on the anniversary of her father’s death!

Episode 8 (Sub) is live at ANO

Episode 11 –

Spoiler

Emily’s story is told through Iwai’s father’s journal and Emily herself. Born in a slum, and raised on the streets, she was found by him and shown kindness. She was believed capable of becoming an Author and Iwai’s father hoped that she’d be able to cut Iwai’s hair. He also gave the girl her name and visited her often on his travels. One day, the man disappeared and Emily is positive that he was killed because of the Queen and her wish is to bring him back to life. Witchy tells her it’s possible if she can defeat Crime Edge and Emily tells her that she’s already weakened him.

Meanwhile, Kiri is having his own problems. He isn’t sure if he can fight Emily again or even if he can win. The wound she gave him isn’t healing and it’s still bleeding. Kiri realizes what she’s done and how her Goods work. At school, Kiri is taken t the infirmary by Yamane – just what he needs! She questions his wound and Kiri tells her about Emily. Yamane also brings up the question of how long he will last in this condition. Luckily, they are the same blood type and she uses her syringe to inject him with her blood.

Thankfully it helps and Kiri feels a little better. As Yamane helps him, she tells him how she became an Author and how she never grew emotionally. She is even a little envious of the relationship Kiri has with Iwai. Yamane soon falls over, forgetting that she was anemic. And Kiri won’t even let her lie next to him. As he watches Yamane sleep, Kiri wonders if he’s a true Author since he never experienced any of the things growing up that Yamane did. He tries to find out about Grayland, the original owner of Crime Edge. He wonders if he will get stronger if he dreams of him.

After school, Kiri goes to Iwai’s house and finds her sleeping. He sees the journal and looks at the bookmarked pages. He seems satisfied with something and covering up Iwai, he leaves. He calls Sumeragi and asks for the location of Iwai’s father’s grave. Kiri also learns that there are three Order Mades – a knife, a gun, and a poison. Kiri asks Sumeragi if he really wants to see Iwai dead and he replies that he just likes cute girls. He’s so creepy! But I wonder why Kiri wants to visit that grave. When he reaches the site of the grave, Emily is there and she’s having a tea party! She’s dancing around and Kiri likens her to Alice in Wonderland. I’m guessing it’s the anniversary of the man’s death, but what is the girl doing?

Episode 9 (Sub) is live at ANO

Episode 10 (Sub) is live at ANO

Episode 12 –

Spoiler

Emily’s mad tea party continues and Kiri takes a picture of her dancing around. Emily confirms that the party is celebrating Iwai’s imminent death. Even though she’s a professional killer, Emily is still a little girl in so many ways. She’s only interested in killing Iwai and tells Kiri she won’t kill him and will even heal his wound as long as he doesn’t interfere. But Kiri must protect Iwai, so of course he’s going to interfere, although I’ve no idea how he will fight her again and win.

Kiri makes Emily mad enough to attack him. Even in the forest, Emily is good, but Kiri needs to find just one opening in order to attack her. Meanwhile, Witchy is discussing the differences between Emily’s and Kiri’s skills and the conclusion is that Emily will win. There also seems to be some holes in the Grayland story as well. Killer of 200 or completely non-existent? Grayland had to have existed because Crime Edge exists. However, time will tell.

Kiri loses Emily in the forest, but she finds him and cuts him again, asking him if he wants to end up like Nakajima. An instant death or a slow death – Emily gives Kiri a choice. Kiri ends up in a shower of knives and it doesn’t look good as he tries to avoid them. One knife pierces his thigh. Kiri doesn’t understand and tells Emily that he bears the blood of “history’s worst killer”. But Emily tells him that Grayland never existed and that it was impossible for one man to have killed 200 people, because the edges of the scissors would have dulled.

Emily tells Kiri the true story of Grayland and admits that if he did exist, he probably only killed two or three people at the most. Emily tells him that Grayland may have just been a common criminal, but Kiri can’t believe it. He stands and backing up slowly, ends up falling off a cliff into the forest below. Lying on the ground and bleeding, he still believes that Emily lied. Either that or his power is an illusion. He looks as if he’s dying, but he still reaches for Crime Edge, refusing to be insignificant. He passes out and has a vision.

Yamane told Kiri that one meets the original killer in dreams. Could this be Kiri’s dream? Kiri follows the cloaked and hooded figure, carrying a lantern, through a tunnel. Kiri wonders if it’s Grayland. The man comes to a door and setting down the lantern, he removes his cloak. Kiri is suddenly in the man’s body and picking up the lantern, he steps through the door, closing it behind him. The room is full of bodies and he uncovers one. Kiri wonders if this is Grayland’s killing ground as he heats up Crime Edge in a nearby candle. Going to the body, he begins to cut it up as Kiri tries to make him stop. Blood flows freely and Kiri/Grayland is covered in it as well. He also looks very happy with that evil smile of his as he continues his gruesome work. Kiri screams.

Iwai wakes up and finds herself covered with a blanket. She also notices that someone read her notes and knows right away that it must have been Kiri. Iwai knows that she must go to her father’s grave too. Meanwhile, Emily comes upon Kiri and thinks he’s dead. She decides to cremate him and pours lighter fluid over him. She was very disappointed with their fight and she opens a lighter, still believing that the legend of Grayland was a lie. Emily ignites the lighter, but Kiri moves before she can set him aflame!

Growling, Kiri gets up and has Crime Edge in his teeth. Still growling and with his eyes glowing red, Kiri – or perhaps it’s really the spirit of Grayland – attacks Emily and draws blood. On all fours and with Crime Edge still in his teeth, the monster drools and Emily wonders if “his Goods overwhelmed his soul”. However, she is confident that she can still defeat him. But her wound is deep and then she remembers that Grayland enjoyed inflicting pain on his victims. Emily’s pain increases and she drops the lighter, which ignites the spilled lighter fluid. Crime Edge is still dripping with Emily’s blood as the monster jumps over the flames and cuts her again. Emily runs as the beast chases after her, still on all fours.

Iwai is at her father’s grave and finds Kiri’s backpack as well as the remains of the tea party. She hears a scream and runs towards it. Iwai comes upon the burning clearing and finds a cut and bleeding Emily. Iwai rushes to her, but Emily doesn’t want to be touched as she yells about a monster. Iwai grabs her and tries to get her to calm down as she asks Emily to tell her what happened. I really hope she doesn’t meet Kiri now. I doubt he can determine friend from foe in his current condition. With his craving for blood driving him, Iwai would be in danger from him as well.

Emily tells Iwai that Grayland was real after all and that Crime Edge was the worst. Emily cries as she tells Iwai that she’s never encountered such a torturous ability like that before. Iwai is surprised to realize that Emily is talking about Kiri as Emily tries to crawl away from her. She’s still crying with all the pain she’s in and calls out for her father to help her. Iwai still can’t believe that Kiri is responsible for this and looks back at the flames. I really hope he doesn’t come back now!

Episode 13 –

Spoiler

With the danger of a wildfire surrounding them, Iwai carries Emily through the forest. As Iwai thinks that Emily would be a nice little girl if she weren’t a killer, the story of the Order Mades continues. It’s all very mysterious. Iwai continues her chat with Emily and perhaps Emily is warming up to her a bit. The smoke from the fire swirls around them and Iwai begins to cough. Emily asks what the notes said about her, but that question will remain unanswered, at least for now, for Kiri has appeared before them!

Iwai can see for herself now the monster that Kiri has become. Emily falls from Iwai’s back and tries to get away as pain and fear overcome her. Kiri, still on all fours and growling, approaches them and Iwai steps in front of Emily to protect her. Iwai tries to talk to reach her Kiri with her voice, but he doesn’t hear her. Only the beast with Crime Edge in his teeth is here now. Kiri rushes up to Iwai and finally stands up. He rubs his hands and his face over Iwai’s body and she forces herself to endure his groping. He suddenly grabs a piece of Iwai’s hair and savagely cuts it with Crime Edge.

Iwai says that her hair has been ravaged, but it seems to have done the trick. Iwai falls to her knees with Kiri, in shock, but Kiri seems to be Kiri again and dropping Crime Edge from his mouth, he passes out. The fire rages around them as Iwai sits there in shock and wonders why her hair hurts. She realizes that she’s suddenly afraid of Kiri and Crime Edge. With this feeling of terror, her hair grows to her feet again, returning to normal. She had wanted her hair to grow again so that Kiri could cut it, but now that her hair is back, it seems she’s too fearful of Kiri and Crime Edge, at least now that she knows what they’re capable of. Iwai doesn’t want to feel this way. She thought she was happy with Kiri, but now she doesn’t know what to think. Iwai cries as Emily silently watches her. Emily is crying now too. And the fire is getting too close!

In the end, it was Emily that saved them by calling the fire department. Back at Iwai’s house, Emily reads her father’s journal and finds out just how much he loved her. She joins Iwai in the bath and confesses that she’s lost all of her anger. The girls begin to bond and become true sisters. Iwai wonders how Kiri is doing and Emily gets scared, remembering her pain. Iwai gets her to calm down and Emily tells her what her experience with Kiri the monster felt like. Iwai can’t take her descriptions anymore and tells her to stop.

Emily asks Iwai if she’s scared of Kiri now as well, and Iwai admits that she is, but she also wants to believe that he will be kind again. Emily suddenly asks if they are dating and a surprised Iwai isn’t sure how to respond, but reluctantly says that they are. Emily then wants to know if they’ve kissed! LOL Iwai thinks that the child is just a little too curious. Then Emily wants to know if they’ve had sex. That just puts Iwai over the edge! LOL

Iwai realizes that although Emily is just a child, she’s already seen and experienced too much in her young life – and probably knows a lot more about some things than Iwai does. But Iwai doesn’t want to hear Emily talk about it and covers her ears. Iwai promises not to say anything to Emily about her past and Emily promises not to kill Iwai. Meanwhile, Kiri wakes up in a hospital. He’s gotten a text message from Iwai, asking if he’s okay. He sits up and finds Crime Edge on his lap. He fully remembers Grayland and his memories. Kiri also remembers the monster he became and how Crime Edge can be used to enhance suffering.

A voice tells him that’s an interesting ability and that voice belongs to Witchy! It turns out that Kiri is in a Gossip hospital. Witchy tells him that contact has been lost with Emily and Kiri tells her that he won the fight. Witchy tells him how an Order Made is created and it’s pretty horrible. Witchy sits on Kiri’s bed and tells him that there are two more Order Mades out there. Kiri doesn’t want to hear it and Witchy calls him a few interesting names. My favorite was “snuff fetishist”. LOL Kiri just wants her to shut up, but she continues her analysis of him. Kiri picks up Crime Edge and asks her if she’d like a taste. Witchy just grabs Kiri and kisses him on the mouth! Kiri is stunned, but what a kiss!

After that passionate kiss, Kiri yells at Witchy, reminding her that they’re enemies. She tells him to calm down and says it wasn’t his first kiss, but I tend to think that it was. Witchy tells him that she’s a bit envious of the Queen and the girl that he protects and that she admires him as well. Witchy says that if he survives, she’d like to meet him again someday. She says goodbye and leaves and Kiri falls out of the bed, trying to go after her. And that was his first kiss! LOL At least it’s one he’ll always remember! I think Witchy is going to remember it as well. Witchy notes that Kiri and Iwai still have a long journey ahead of them and that Kiri will continue to kill. She also says that none of the Queens have ever survived.

Iwai visits Kiri in the hospital and gets her first haircut in a long time. At least she doesn’t seem afraid of Kiri or Crime Edge anymore and they both seem happy again. Another great anime! I am so happy with the shows this season. And was that a preview of another season after the credits or just wishful thinking on my part? I won’t hold my breath, but it would be fantastic to see more of this story!

Episode 11 (Sub) is live at ANO

Looks like Ep. 12 has been delayed until tomorrow evening.

Episode 12 (Sub) is live at ANO

Episode 13 :end: (Sub) is live at ANO

Seems they hope to have another season, or something as they had something during the end credits that seem to hint that.

But one thing came to mind, what do they do with all that cut hair? Is there a point where there’s a landfill just filled with cursed hair?

Unless the rest of the vols. sell way better than the first 2 or the merch sells extraordinarily well, that just ain’t going to happen.

As far as disc sales go, this series is an utter complete failure.

Crime Edge v1 sells 346 BDs, DVDs do not rank.
Crime Edge v2 sells 310 BDs, DVDs do not rank.

Wow, that is a failure.

Yeah, I was rather amazed when I saw that.
Then I got sad, since I rather enjoyed this one.

Complete Collection Cover/Disc Art

DVD

Blu-ray

I like the color, the spine is a little plain but easily would pass on the shelf. The boob grab on disc 3 is shocking and unnecessary but whatever. Overall, not bad.

And it wasn’t chosen to be replicated in the bluray set…

Though to borrow from that Tom Cruise movie (tongue in cheek, of course): “what could be more necessary?!”

Well I keep my discs inside their cases so it’s not a big deal that way but if I wanted to put my Sentai collection inside a DVD organizer case (which I might eventually do for travel) and/or show it off, it’s a bit awkward to see that, but at the end of the day it’s minor nitpicking.